Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: You guys are hilarious! Plus I'm down with off-topic-ness, dude ;)

Man, now you've got me pondering how to use the word 'climax' in a sentence, CW, shame on you! Plus you had to go and add 'big' before it :giggle:.

Innocent, she says! It's a well known fact that CW is a total filth hound! She sets 'em up, and we knock 'em down! It's like a tag team, innit! friends3.gif

Crumbs. Where did you find that old DVD of me???

well what can I say, Die hard fan! :boogie:

:lol: Nice mullet, Mac! I like the stars visual, heh.

CW, I'm truly scared of that Tash!

The tash is a force to be reckond with... It took me a while. But it's like my own personal pet. I stroke it like a hamster!

The Ruins by Scott Smith

Synopsis via Waterstones:

Craving an adventure to wake them from their lethargic Mexican holiday before they return home, four friends set off in search of one of their own who has travelled to the interior to investigate an archaeological dig in the Mayan ruins. After a long journey into the jungle, the group come across a partly camouflaged trail and a captivating hillside covered with red flowers. Lured by these, the group move closer until they happen across a gun-toting Mayan horseman who orders them away. In the midst of the confrontation, one of the group steps inadvertently backwards into the flowering vine. And at that moment their world changes for ever...

To say this book utterly and completely creeped me out would be an understatement! On the one hand I couldn't put it down because it was so fast-paced and intense, yet on the other hand I was practically cringing every time I flipped a page. While I think the group of main characters were idiots for going into the Mexican jungle without a guide or properly packed supplies, it was fascinating to read what was going on through each of their minds as the situation slowly worsened. I felt bad for some of the characters, having to see them struggle and contend with the evilness in nature, but I wasn't completely heartbroken and sobbing as things went on either. In the end I don't think that was a bad thing because the main focus was really about their surroundings and this evil place they happened upon. There were a few squeamish parts that I had to skim over, and I was almost exhausted at the end after having to read about such intense levels of desperation and suffering, but the story was so imaginative and gripping that I'm very glad I read it :).

I think I saw the movie of that book and it was way too scary for me, perhaps the book would be worth a go though!

You wuss! That was the worst B-movie I've ever seen! The story sucked and it was so OVERLY gorey that it was just plain funny. My brother liked the vines, and I will admit they could do a pretty neat trick, but it was soooo baaaaaad.

I'm curious about the book now though. I DID watch the movie to the end..... so maybe I'll read the book for extended lulz.

The gore was horrible! I can read about gory stuff and scary stuff but I can't actually see it. Historical thrillers are awsesome though. There was one I read by R.L. Stine as a kid that was set in the Pyramids and I still think about that (yes.. it was a kids book, but it was still really good and scary)

I'll shut up now. lol

Edited by CaliLily

The gore was a bit much. But it was just so gratuitous that it didn't bother me. The only time gore in a film has ever actually made me wince was The Passion Of The Christ. That was a bit rough in places. But things that are just ridiculously gorey, the Saw films for instance - nah. Mostly laugh my way through them. I'm disturbed, I know. :lol:

I didn't even know there was a film for this book until just recently, so of course I need to see it now! Even if the gore is cheesy, it'll probably still creep me out because it'll remind me of the book and how disturbing it was :lurker:.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I thought I'd use this opportunity to list the books I've read so far in 2010. Tbh it's made me a little embarassed since I'm so clearly a slow reader compared to some of you fine folk! In fact, I'm not quite sure it's possible that I would ever be able to reach 50-10 reads in one years time! :blush: Anyway, here goes:

1. Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong

2. Close to Shore by Michael Capuzzo

3. The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

4. The Blackstone Key by Rose Melikan

5. Bel-Ami by Guy De Maupassant

6. Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong

7. The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse

8. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

9. Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

10. Land of the Burnt Thigh by Edith Eudora Kohl

11. Eclipse (re-read) by Stephenie Meyer

12. The Queen of Babble in the Big City by Meg Cabot

13. The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

14. The World to Come by Dara Horn

15. The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow

16. Topics About Which I Know Nothing by Patric Ness

17. Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton

18. In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff

19. The Ruins by Scott Smith

20. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

21. The Heretics Daughter by Kathleen Kent **Currently reading**

I'm also compiling an updated list of what's on my TBR shelf and will post it shortly :D.

Edited by peacefield

Okay, so here's an updated list of what's currently on my TBR shelf. I realize it might be different from the list I posted at the beginning of the thread, but I think I weeded some out and gave them away after realizing I probably wouldn't read them.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Undead & Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson

Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Thornton Lee Stewart

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber

Popco by Scarlette Thomas

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Marked by PC and Kristin Cast

19 Minutes by Jodie Picoult

Luncheon of the Boating Party by Susan Vreeland

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Thursday Next, a First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

The Art Thief by Noah Charney

Delicate Edible Birds by Lauren Groff

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Specials by Scott Westerfeld

Broken by Kelley Armstrong

No Humans Involved by Kelley Armstrong

Haunted by Kelley Armstrong

A Scots Quair by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood

Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith

haha.gif You just cracked me up Mac!

And I agree. Peace, you have lots of great reads coming up! I adored The Crimson Petal and the White and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, and the rest of the Uglies series is pretty good too!

You've got some great books coming up, Marcia. Some great ones! drive1.gif

That emoticon has no relevance at all, but I thought it looked funny. XX

:lol: LOL It's like I'm driving through a giant pile of books, not sure if I can navigate through it without dying, and then laughing it all off! I love it!

I'm looking forward to these reads :D. Kylie, those two books you mentioned are like the hugest books known to man! I'm sort of scared to start them, actually. Come to think of it, that emoticon of Mac's seems pretty fitting now! Ha!