Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

Thinking about it, Wade was the man who took Jacob to meet Uncle Al, so Wade may have worked with Uncle Al, I can't remember if he is mentioned again :D

Wade worked with Camel and Bill :D It was Earl that took Jacob to the meeting Uncle Al and August :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The World to Come by Dara Horn

Synopsis via Powell's:

A million-dollar painting by Marc Chagall is stolen from a museum. The unlikely thief is Benjamin Ziskind, a thirty-year-old quiz-show writer. As Benjamin and his twin sister try to evade the police, they find themselves recalling their dead parents

thanks, weave, it was busy! I might be persuaded to read more of horn's works, but i think it might take some strong urging :D.

:confused::D:D Good times!

• 4 weeks later...

The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow

Synopsis via Powell's:

Jennet Stearne's father hangs witches for a living in Restoration England. But when she witnesses the unjust and horrifying execution of her beloved aunt Isobel, the precocious child decides to make it her life's mission to bring down the Parliamentary Witchcraft Act. Armed with little save the power of reason, and determined to see justice prevail, Jennet hurls herself into a series of picaresque adventures — traveling from King William's Britain to the fledgling American Colonies to an uncharted island in the Caribbean, braving West Indies pirates, Algonquin Indian captors, the machinations of the Salem Witch Court, and the sensuous love of a young Ben Franklin. For Jennet cannot and must not rest until she has put the last witchfinder out of business.

An amazing work by Mr. Morrow! I would leave it at that but that's not a very worthwhile review, is it? ;) Would I say I'm grateful to Mac for this recommendation would be a bit of an understatement. The journey this novel takes throughout the world and time itself, through also the age of enlightenment and scientific learning, I would gladly take again and again! It was clever, hilarious at times, yet seriously dealt with the subject matter that to me can be very frustrating and maddening! Jennet was the perfect kind of heroine, and her struggle to disprove the supposed 'proof' that men like her father used to convict innocent women of witchcraft was noble indeed.

I also loved the sometimes narration of the 'other' author of this book, Newton's Principa Mathematica. This was a very clever way of weaving Mr. Newton's theories throughout the story, and how his book gave the basis of science throughout time. I'm not surprised at the amount of time it took for Mr. Morrow to write this book. You can tell how meticulous he was in his research on every page! My review doesn't really do it justice, but it is HIGHLY recommended. I hope more will read it! :D

I love the sound of this! The subject matter alone appeals to me, but your review has me convinced it needs be to added to my wish list immediately :D

ETA: Have you read The Heretic's Daugher? I've fancied reading books with this kind of theme lately. Also The Lost Book of Salem looks really good.

Edited by Mexicola

I love the sound of this! The subject matter alone appeals to me, but your review has me convinced it needs be to added to my wish list immediately :D

ETA: Have you read The Heretic's Daugher? I've fancied reading books with this kind of theme lately. Also The Lost Book of Salem looks really good.

I'm so glad you've added it to your list, Mexicola! I have a feeling you'll love it as much as I did.

I haven't read The Heretic's Daughter yet, but am in the book ring and am patiently waiting for it to be my turn :D. The Lost Book of Salem is wonderful!! I would gladly mail you my copy if that means you'll read it sooner :lol: . I can't say enough good things about it and am SO glad I read it!

Aw, I can't believe how many amazing books I have fighting to reach the very top of my TBR pile! (most of them are there due to certain ms. peacefield :P) Frustratingly though, I seem to be getting through them so slowly at the moment. I just checked though and my local library has a copy of the Lost Book of Salem so...:D

Synopsis via Powell's:

Jennet Stearne's father hangs witches for a living in Restoration England. But when she witnesses the unjust and horrifying execution of her beloved aunt Isobel, the precocious child decides to make it her life's mission to bring down the Parliamentary Witchcraft Act. Armed with little save the power of reason, and determined to see justice prevail, Jennet hurls herself into a series of picaresque adventures — traveling from King William's Britain to the fledgling American Colonies to an uncharted island in the Caribbean, braving West Indies pirates, Algonquin Indian captors, the machinations of the Salem Witch Court, and the sensuous love of a young Ben Franklin. For Jennet cannot and must not rest until she has put the last witchfinder out of business.

Oh I like the sound of this! I think I'll add it to my wishlist :D .. another great review peacefield!

I haven't read The Heretic's Daughter yet, but am in the book ring and am patiently waiting for it to be my turn :D.

I'll mosey on over to the bookring to see what's going on ... ;)

Good to hear your library has a copy of Lost Book of Salem, Mexicola! I think you should at least make sure it gets into your top ten TBR ;). You won't regret it!

Thanks Charm, and 'tis a good book to add to your wish list for sure! A truly interesting take on the witch trials :)

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, I'm so behind in updating this thread! Since last posted, I've started and finished the following...

Topics About Which I Know Nothing by Patrick Ness - Thank you again Weave for sending me this one! I laughed out loud repeatedly and am greatful to find a book of short stories like this. I'd love to read more but I can never seem to find just the right thing. Thankfully Mr. Ness fit the bill with his hilarity! I especially loved one of the stories called 'Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?' which is about dictionary writers and the new custodian they hire. These poor men all sitting around keeping watch over all the world's languages and the situations they get stuck in, it was great!

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton - Another great start to a vampire series in which I will no doubt be sucked into! I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that :lol:. Thanks to Charm and CW for recommending it (and anyone else I'm forgetting) and I can't wait to read the next installment. I really liked the heroine, Anita, and honestly could not put the book down. It was a great one to take with me up north where I could read for hours on end if I wanted!

In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff - This one was excellent and reminded me a lot of Caleb Carr's 'The Alienist.' It was set in 1905 upstate New York and also in New York City, and was about a brutal murder and the police and Columbia professors who try to solve the crime. I found it very interesting because it was right during the time when criminolgists first started to profile serial killers, and they were making all kinds of exciting discoveries in the world of crime-solving. The ending was just slightly anti-climactic, but I still enjoyed the read and will look for more from this author.

The Last Witchfinder is a terrific book, isn't it!?! I couldn't put the flipping thing down in the bookshop and so had to by it and find a pub where I could continue devouring it. Magic stuff. Really pleased you likes it, lady! I even put it on my McRecommends page. x

It was wonderful, Mac :D! I honestly would count it as one of my fave reads, and all manner of thanks and genuflecting go to you!

I tried genuflecting once. I was stuck in the bathroom for hours! giggle.gif

I haven't read The Heretic's Daughter yet, but am in the book ring and am patiently waiting for it to be my turn :D.

Your patience has paid off, it's now your turn! :D Just pm your address to me and I'll post it on ;)

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K Hamilton - Another great start to a vampire series in which I will no doubt be sucked into! I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that :lol:. Thanks to Charm and CW for recommending it (and anyone else I'm forgetting) and I can't wait to read the next installment. I really liked the heroine, Anita, and honestly could not put the book down. It was a great one to take with me up north where I could read for hours on end if I wanted!

So pleased you enjoyed this! It took me a while to get used to Anita but once I did I got hooked. I've now just started Incubus Dreams .... well when I say just started, I meant over 100 pages, but the blooming thing is nearly 840 pages long so when you put it into perspective then yeah, just started! :lol: This could take a while ......

Wonderful news on the book ring book, Charm! Thankies :D I'm PMing you my address right now.

Oh my, 840 pages?! Is this the newest Anita Blake book or somewhere else in the series? That's huge! I hope you enjoy it :)

Thanks Weave, I'm so glad I read the Ness book! There needs to be more out there like that :D

Synopsis via Powell's:

:D

Sounds like something I would like. *Added to wishlist*

Oh man, I'm so behind in updating this thread! Since last posted, I've started and finished the following...

In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff - This one was excellent and reminded me a lot of Caleb Carr's 'The Alienist.' It was set in 1905 upstate New York and also in New York City, and was about a brutal murder and the police and Columbia professors who try to solve the crime. I found it very interesting because it was right during the time when criminolgists first started to profile serial killers, and they were making all kinds of exciting discoveries in the world of crime-solving. The ending was just slightly anti-climactic, but I still enjoyed the read and will look for more from this author.

Hehe. Glad to you liked Anita Blake! I am seriously contemplating getting book #2 ASAP. I wanting some fluff!!!

You know I have been waiting for the In The Shadow of Gotham review for a little while now and I can't wait to read it. Even though the "slight anti climax" Is a little worrying. I like Big climaxs (Did I even spell that right?)

You know I have been waiting for the In The Shadow of Gotham review for a little while now and I can't wait to read it. Even though the "slight anti climax" Is a little worrying. I like Big climaxs (Did I even spell that right?)

Such filth! And we're not even post-watershed! mocking.gif

(Sorry for the slight off-topic posts PF)

Aye, sorry Marcia. We are like mischievous school children messing with powers wE KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!! eek.gif