Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh REAlllyyy?! Oh my, I need to get my hands on the rest of these books!

I was a bit unsure of Clay at first but I fully admit to now loving him!, he is a great character :friends0:

I'm so glad you enjoyed Bitten, peacefield! I've loved the whole series, and I've got the latest one Frostbitten sat next to me on the coffee table, tempting me to start it, but I must finish my current book first, however, I do keep looking longingly to my left, itching to get going with it!

I'm so glad you enjoyed Bitten, peacefield! I've loved the whole series, and I've got the latest one Frostbitten sat next to me on the coffee table, tempting me to start it, but I must finish my current book first, however, I do keep looking longingly to my left, itching to get going with it!

You will enjoy 'Frostbitten' Chesil :D

Happy reading peacefield and I hope you enjoy the rest of the series:D

I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime by Mark Haddon very late last night. Here's the synopsis:

Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capital cities and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions, and cannot stand to be touched. Gifted with a superbly logical brain, Christopher is autistic. Everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning for him. "I do not always do what I'm told," he admits. "And this is because when people tell you what to do it is usually confusing and does not make sense. For example, people often say 'Be quiet' but they don't tell you how long to be quiet for..."

At fifteen, Christopher's carefully constructed world falls apart when he finds his neighbor's dog, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork and is initially blamed for the killing. Christopher decides that he will track down the real killer and turns to his favorite fictional character, the impeccably logical Sherlock Holmes, for inspiration. But the investigation leads him down some unexpected paths and ultimately brings him face to face with the dissolution of his parents' marriage. As Christopher tries to deal with this crisis within his own family, the narrative draws readers into the mysterious workings of Christopher's mind.

To all of you out there who recommended this book, thank you! I've never read anything from the perspective of a person with a mental disability, and I was truly enthralled. Not only did I get to read about the death of this dog and how Christopher planned on solving the mystery, I also got to discover his whole thought process on colors, maths, science, and even ghosts. In between all the detective work he did, he spoke of his reasoning on if a day was going to be good, super good, etc, and why he didn't like the colors yellow and brown. There were also basically mental pictures every few pages of the book so you could not only read about what Christopher was thinking but also what he was seeing in his mind. Mark Haddon did an amazing job translating an autistic person's thought process to paper. I'm looking forward to anything else Haddon writes!

Aspy. Nickname for someone suffering from Asperger's Syndrome, which is an autism spectrum disorder (as Austism isn't something you have or don't, but something that everyone has to some positive (autistic) or negative (neurotypical) degree.

Like Gyre already said it, great review peacefield, I'm so happy that you just went along with our suggestion and read the book that had been on your bookshelf for so long. And I'm really happy that you enjoyed it that much! I agree with you, I really want to read other Haddon's books to see if they're as great as this one.

I love Clay! He's so adorable, trust me, as the series goes on you will find him so much more appealing :D

I completely agree :D

It's fantastic! One of my faves in the series! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Stolen by Kelley Armstrong over the weekend, and am sorry I'm just now able to collect my thoughts and post them :D. Below is a short synopsis:

On a mission for her own elite pack, female werewolf Elena Michaels is lured into the net of a ruthless Internet billionaire who kidnaps "other races" with supernatural powers, releases them in the Maine woods, and hunts them to the death in a real-world video game.

Once again, I had such a good time reading this one! There's never a dull moment with Armstrong's books, and I loved being introduced to more characters this time round. I have to admit part me did miss seeing Nick and Antonio (fellow wolves from the first book), but new characters like Savannah and Xavier made up for it. I also really liked Paige and Adam's interaction with eachother, though

I was sad that Ruth didn't make it.

I love what strong character Elena has, and did I say before that I can't get enough of Clay?! :D I'm looking forward to reading more about Paige

and how she does raising Savannah

and I hope that Adam sticks around. I can't wait to read the next installment!

Great review peacefield, 'Stolen' is a great read, I enjoyed how the new characters were introduced and also how the pack are hopefully including themselves in the supernatural group.

Paige is a great character, I loved how she did not take any rubbish from Clay and how Clay did not take any rubbish from Paige :D

I liked Clay more after 'Stolen' which is a bonus.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on 'Industrial Magic', the next book :smile2:

I really enjoyed reading this book too. I think that I will re-read them all at some point they are all fabulous in different ways. I like Paige as a character, she is a bit more 'normal' so is easier to relate to.

I know what you mean about Paige, she is a witch but she worries about her figure :D

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on 'Industrial Magic', the next book ;)

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the next book Peacefield, but is it not Dime Store Magic Weave? ;)

I know what you mean about Paige, she is a witch but she worries about her figure :D

I love that about Paige, gives her a more real feel about her. :D

Yeah it is mainly about Paige but you get to learn more about Savannah and you get to meet Lucas! :D I think Clay and Elena do get in there somewhere but I have a feeling it is more by phone, if my memory serves me right.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I'm long overdue for an update! I'm still plugging away at The Lost Symbol, but the end is in sight. I promised my friend she'd get it back by Christmas so I will have it finished by then! My mojo seems to be lacking a bit lately, which is annoying to say the least :lol:.

When I organized my book shelves I decided to put all the books I own that I haven't yet read but want to read soon on one shelf. I have others I'll get to eventually, and even more that I don't own that are just on my wishlist, but I'm always on the lookout at the used shops around town. Anyway, here are the ones I own that I want to read sooner rather than later. Hopefully I'll come in here and be reminded of this list which will in turn motivate me :blush: (plus walking by my bookshelf every day, LOL).

Dime Store Magic - Kelley Armstrong (thank you Weave!! :giggle:;))

Club Dead - Charlaine Harris

Interview with a Vampire - Anne Rice

The House of Seven Gables - Nathaniel Hawthorne

Mysteries of the Benjamin Society - Trenton Lee Stewart

The Fourth Bear - Jasper Fforde

Possession - A.S. Byatt

Mr. Darcy's Daughters - Elizabeth Aston

The Last Witchfinder - James Morrow

The Blackstone Key - Rose Melikan

The Last Summer (of You and Me) - Ann Brashares

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Luncheon of the Boating Party - Susan Vreeland