Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

Great review peacefield! :D I thought you might end up liking this one the best :giggle2: I found DTTW to be the turning point for me, where I switched from preferring Bill over Eric, to the other way around! I wonder why? .... :giggle:

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Oh man, such a pitiful, lonely reading log I have! I can't believe I haven't posted in here since Oct. *Disappointed face* I'll start a new thread for 2011, but I'll come back here and post my reviews for Deja Dead and Girl with a Dragon Tattoo, not to mention the Ghost Writer, which I'll finish before year's end. Am I forgetting any other books I've read since October? If so and you guys can think of what I've forgotten, let me know please, since I've clearly flaked :lol:

Now to think of a new thread title for 2011...

• 2 weeks later...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared from a family gathering on the island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger clan. Her body was never found, yet her uncle is convinced it was murder - and that the killer is a member of his own tightly knit but dysfunctional family. He employs disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the tattooed, truculent computer hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate. When the pair link Harriet's disappearance to a number of grotesque murders from forty years ago, they begin to unravel a dark and appalling family history. But the Vangers are a secretive clan, and Blomkvist and Salander are about to find out just how far they are prepared to go to protect themselves.

I'm happy to say I finally got onboard the Larsson train and read this first book in the series! Like some others have said, it was a bit of a slow start, but I'm grateful I stuck with it. I loved reading about the inner-workings of Mikael's journalist life, and found even more interesting the background of Lisbeth. Reading about her various trials made the dynamic she shared with various people (her case worker, her boss, etc) more understandable and easy to see things from her perspective. I also very much enjoyed reading about the small village the Vangers lived in, and how every single inhabitant related to the old family. Larsson's description of exactly what happened on the day of Harriet's disappearance was fascinating.

I'm looking forward to reading the rest in this series, and finally seeing the films as well.

Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

The meticulously dismembered body of a woman is discovered in the grounds of an abandoned monastery. 'Too decomposed for standard autopsy. Request antrhopologic expertise.' Enter Dr Temperance Brennan, Director of Forensic Antrhopology for the province of Quebec, who has been researching recent disappearances in the city. Despite the deep cynicism of Detective Claudel who head the investigation, Brennan is convinced that a serial killer is at work. Her forensic expertise finally convinces Claudel, but only after the body count has risen...Tempe takes matters into her own hands, but her determined probing places those closest to her in mortal danger. Can Tempe make her crucial breakthrough before the killer strikes again?

I'd been looking forward to reading a Reichs book for quite some time. I was forwarned ahead of time that the book is nothing like the television series 'Bones' that it's loosely based upon, so was not surprised at the virtual non-existent similarities other than the fact that both main characters share the same name. I watch the TV show religiously, and while I enjoy listening to the forensic anthropolgists explain their thought process and the science behind what they do, it was even more interesting to read that thought process on a page. It seemed to sink in more, if that makes sense. The plot of this book was pretty disturbing, but nothing kept me from wanting to read and find out what was happening next. Tempe is a strong, independent woman and I liked seeing her work with the Montreal police and not back down from anything. I'm looking forward to reading more.

The Ghost Writer by John Harwood

The ghost story comes alive in a spellbinding first novel. Viola Hatherley was a writer of ghost stories in the 1890s whose work lies forgotten until her great-grandson, as a young boy in Mawson, Australia, learns how to open the secret drawer in his mother's room. There he finds a manuscript, and from the moment his mother catches him in the act, Gerard Freeman's life is irrevocably changed. What is the invisible, ever-present threat from which his mother strives so obsessively to protect him? And why should stories written a century ago entwine themselves ever more closely around events in his own life? Gerard's quest to unveil the mystery that shrouds his family, and his life, will lead him from Mawson to London, to a long-abandoned house and the terror of a ghost story comes alive.

This book was a gift from Weave, and I want to thank her for sharing it with me! If I'm going to read anything remotely scary, this is exactly the type of book I like. The level of creepiness was thrilling, and I was totally taken off guard with how the story ended. I don't think I've read anything like this before, where a story is told from one person's perspective while at the same time interspersing with it 'ghost stories' that moved the plot along. I guess I'm trying to say that even though they were stories written in another time, they still flowed with the overall plot and meshed very well. Most of the time I felt sorry for Gerard, although I must admit sometimes I thought he was quite clueless and blind to what was really going on. It was hard not to think that somehow he had wasted quite a big chunk of his life on certain people/things.

I'm SO looking forward to reading another Harwood book I have (thanks also to Weave) called 'The Seance.'

Great reviews peacefield and no problem with the books, that was the one thing with me too about 'The Ghost Writer', was how clueless Gerard was but I understood why, I think he wanted to be clueless (if that makes sense). Happy reading hen :)

Edited by Weave

Great review, peacefield!

I loved Ghost Writer, and I read it based on Weave's comments.

I also have The Seance in my TBR pile. Looking forward to it. :D

Weave knows the exact type of horror I like. :wink:

Great review, peacefield!

I loved Ghost Writer, and I read it based on Weave's comments.

I also have The Seance in my TBR pile. Looking forward to it. :D

Weave knows the exact type of horror I like. :wink:

Great, Pixie! I'm excited to read The Seance too :D. I agree though, Weave knows exactly the right type of horror and I must say we all have extremely good taste ;).