Peacefield's Reads (started 2009)

Peacefield

I finished Pride & Prejudice & Zombies this weekend, but I'm just getting to posting my review now!

Synopsis via Barnes & Noble:

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Pride & Prejudice & Zombies this weekend, but I'm just getting to posting my review now!

So begins Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, an expanded edition of the beloved Jane Austen novel featuring all-new scenes of bone-crunching zombie mayhem. As our story opens, a mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton

PP&Z sounds like a great read peacefield apart from one thing .... zombies :motz: They really and truly give me nightmares, I mean I couldn't sleep for days after watching Shaun of the Dead! :motz: .. and it's a comedy!

Is there a lot of them and would I need to read P&P first?

Frankie, Frankie, Frankie - you underestimate me! :motz: I did in fact know that The Neck is currently filming the big screen version, and it was the main reason for me reading Bel Ami. Well that and Weave was nice enough to include me in her book ring :motz:.

I would say you might want to avoid PP&Z, Charm! There are quite a few zombie encounters and said encounters are pretty graphic! Maybe you could read Sense and Sensabilities and Seamonsters instead? :P

PP&Z sounds like a great read peacefield apart from one thing .... zombies :motz: They really and truly give me nightmares, I mean I couldn't sleep for days after watching Shaun of the Dead! :motz: .. and it's a comedy!

Is there a lot of them and would I need to read P&P first?

There is also ~

'Queen Victoria, Demon Hunter' by by A E Moorat

'Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter' by Seth Grahame-Smith (its not released until end of this month)

'Mr Darcy, Vampyre' by Amanda Grange

:P

• 2 weeks later...

Acceptable Risk by Robin Cooke

When neuroscientist Edward Armstrong begins dating Kimberly Stewart, a descendant of a woman who was hanged as a witch at the time of the Salem witch trials, he takes advantage of the opportunity to delve into a pet theory: that the "devil" in Salem in 1692 had been a hallucinogenic drug inadvertently consumed with mold-tainted grain. In an attempt to prove his theory, Edward grows the mold he believes responsible from samples taken from the Stewart estate. In a brilliant designer-drug transformation, the poison becomes Ultra, the next generation of antidepressants with truly startling therapeutic capabilities. Acceptable Risk is a story of quest: a researcher's quest for the ultimate drug and a woman's quest for self-understanding. Unbeknownst to either person, the two seemingly separate quests collide with devastating consequences.

I had this book recommended to me because of the subject matter having to do with the Salem witch trials, and from that standpoint I loved it. The rest of it however left far too much to be desired! I haven

Frankie, Frankie, Frankie - you underestimate me! :lol: I did in fact know that The Neck is currently filming the big screen version, and it was the main reason for me reading Bel Ami. Well that and Weave was nice enough to include me in her book ring :D.

How could I do that, again?! I already underestimated you on the Remember me -movie issue! Very unforgivable! Of course you know about the Water for Elephants, as well. I need to read that book before the movie is out :tong: Also must bump Bel-Ami up in the TBR list ^^

I hope you enjoy Acceptable Risk, Kate! :lol:

:D Don't worry, Frankie, of course you're forgiven!! I'm excited to read 'Water for Elephants' too. Hopefully that'll be soon, and I agree on Bel-Ami getting nudged up your list! It's quite enjoyable.

I hope you enjoy Acceptable Risk, Kate! :lol:

:D Don't worry, Frankie, of course you're forgiven!! I'm excited to read 'Water for Elephants' too. Hopefully that'll be soon, and I agree on Bel-Ami getting nudged up your list! It's quite enjoyable.

I think you will both love 'Water for Elephants', its excellent :tong:

Water for Elephants is one of those books I just know that I will really like (well at least I think I will really like it, you can never tell until you've actually read the book) and sort of because of that I want to cherish owning that book a little longer and cherish the anticipation of reading it, and that's why I haven't read it yet. It's really contradictory: you really want to read a book you know will be a good one but at the same time you want to save it till a later time, til the time is perfect for reading it. I don't know if that makes any sense :D

I'm excited to read it, Weave! My friend was supposed to bring it last night but she couldn't make it so I'll have to get it from her next time. I'm a little bit glad though exactly because of the reason you stated, Frankie! I love the anticipation of reading a book that I know is good, and it makes it that much nicer when you have to wait awhile to read it. I completely understand :D.

Water for Elephants is one of those books I just know that I will really like (well at least I think I will really like it, you can never tell until you've actually read the book) and sort of because of that I want to cherish owning that book a little longer and cherish the anticipation of reading it, and that's why I haven't read it yet. It's really contradictory: you really want to read a book you know will be a good one but at the same time you want to save it till a later time, til the time is perfect for reading it. I don't know if that makes any sense :D

I was the same Frankie, I put off reading it for so long and then I could not wait any more, so I read it and I did not want it to end, I read so slowly!, I had to stop myself from starting it all over again once I finished :lol:

I'm excited to read it, Weave! My friend was supposed to bring it last night but she couldn't make it so I'll have to get it from her next time. I'm a little bit glad though exactly because of the reason you stated, Frankie! I love the anticipation of reading a book that I know is good, and it makes it that much nicer when you have to wait awhile to read it. I completely understand :D.

We hear ya Frankie, its too great a read, you want it to last as long as possible :lol:

I was the same Frankie, I put off reading it for so long and then I could not wait any more, so I read it and I did not want it to end, I read so slowly!, I had to stop myself from starting it all over again once I finished :tong:

These kinds of comments are adding to the fact that I want to leave the book waiting a bit longer :lol: The book must be really good if you're starting to read it more slowly for it to last longer. And at the same time you can't wait to read more of it. Ah, the pains of reading a really good book :D

Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong

Synopsis provided by Waterstone's:

After Paige Winterbourne is ousted as leader of the American Coven of Witches, all she wants to do is hide under her duvet for a few months. Let the supernatural world manage without her, see if she cares...But fate, of course, has other plans. A murderer is on the loose - someone with superhuman skills. When Paige learns that the killer is targeting children, she realises she has to get involved in the covert investigation. And so Paige - desperate to protect those she loves - is thrown into a world of arrogant Cabal leaders, drunken necromancers, sulky druid gods and pretentious leather-clad vampires. Luckily, she has a female werewolf and a certain renegade sorcerer on her side...

Yet another wonderful installment from Kelley Armstrong! This is my 4th read in the Women of the Otherworld series, and I'm glad I got to delve more into the world of Paige, Lucas, Savannah and the rest of the 'supernaturals.' :irked: I even got to see a glimpse of Elena and Clay, plus Adam, such a lovely boy! :D It was nice to see the inner-workings of the Cabals, and just how Lucas and his siblings and father interacted. I'd want to rid myself of that scary family too! I'm excited to see what kind of a life Lucas, Paige and Savannah build for themselves in the future.

So pleased you enjoyed Industrial Magic peacefield! It was one of my favourites of the series :lol: ... and don't worry Clay and Elena pop up in a book of their own soon, Haunted is next and then Broken sees their return! :lol:

So pleased you enjoyed Industrial Magic peacefield! It was one of my favourites of the series :lol: ... and don't worry Clay and Elena pop up in a book of their own soon, Haunted is next and then Broken sees their return! :D

Oooh, wonderful, Charm! I can't wait :lol:.

Yeah me too i have read them all, infact I think I am up to date with all her books, am now waiting for a new one, I love Clay and Elena, but can't wait for Savannah to get a bit older as I think she will be very interesting

• 2 weeks later...

The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse

Synopsis via Waterstone's:

When Lucas inherits Stoneborough Manor after his uncle's unexpected death, he imagines it as a place where he and his close circle of friends can spend time away from London. But from the beginning, the house changes everything. Lucas becomes haunted by the death of his uncle and obsessed by cine films of him and his friends at Stoneborough thirty years earlier. The group is disturbingly similar to their own, and within the claustrophobic confines of the house over a hot, decadent summer, secrets escape from the past and sexual tensions escalate, shattering friendships and changing lives irrevocably.

The idea of this book intrigued me, and while I loved reading about the manor and it's lush and expansive surroundings, the story left a lot to be desired. I guess I was expecting more of a supernatural type of story, where the house kind of takes over it's party, but this was not the case. I did enjoy however reading about the interactions between the group of friends and how it parallelled those who lived in the house decades earlier. The author was also a master at describing everything about the manor, inside and out, making me want to visit in an instant! Unfortunately the story left me wanting more, not just a few hundred pages of 'a group of friends visit a large house and lots of drama ensues.'