Terry Pratchett

Michelle

Whilst I enjoyed both The Colour of Magic and The light Fantastic as I was reading them, it was Equal Rites that really sold me on Pratchett. A lot of what comes after may well be better still, but this was the book that got me hooked on the Discworld series.

k.b, you should start a Pratchett blog or something, if you start a new thread for each of his novels, the forum will need a dedicated Pratchett section!

ETA:

And Kylie, do read further, you won't regret it!

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been interested in Terry Pratchett, and meaning to give his books a whirl. What would you guys recommend I start with? I hate series' that are complicated and can be read in different orders, so if someone would provide me with a list in which order they think I should read them, then that would be great. :lol:

Been interested in Terry Pratchett, and meaning to give his books a whirl. What would you guys recommend I start with? I hate series' that are complicated and can be read in different orders, so if someone would provide me with a list in which order they think I should read them, then that would be great. :lol:

Ask a group of Pratchett fans that and you'll get a different answer from each of them!

Personally, I think Guards! Guards! is a good introduction, but most seem to think reading them in order is better (in which case, start with The Colour of Magic!).

k.b, you should start a Pratchett blog or something, if you start a new thread for each of his novels, the forum will need a dedicated Pratchett section!

!

That is a good idea - if I set up a Discworld thread would one of the Mods be happy moving my reviews into it?

And to kick us off:

A review of Mort:

mort.jpg

Synopsis from back cover:

'Although the scythe isn't pre-eminent among the weapons of war, anyone who has been on the wrong end of , say, a peasants' revolt will know that in skilled hands it is fearsome' For Mort however, it is about to become one of the tools of his trade. From henceforth, Death is no longer going to be the end, merely the means to an end. He has received an offer he can't refuse. As Death's apprentice he'll have free board, use of the company horse and being dead isn't compulsory. It's the dream job until he discovers that it can be a killer on his love life...

Well I think this is my favourite Discworld novel so far! It definitely contains the funniest/most memorable line for me:

Death: "I could murder a curry" - hilarious!

Well this story follows Mort as he becomes Death's apprentice. Death is still my favourite character, I loved him! He had some great lines, and I laughed so hard at his storyline, and how his character developed.

What I truely loved, was the return of Rinsewind! He too had my laughing! Pratchett definitely did not let me down with this book. Again, his writing kept me gripped, and kept me there in the Discworld.

Of course, this is a love story though, which meant a bit of soppiness - and this I felt ruined the ending a little, but not even for it to completely let me down or ruin the story. Actually in some cases this storyline was quite amusing.

But as I said, this is my favourite so far!

9/10

Here is my review of Sourcery:

sourcery.jpg

Synopsis:

There was an eighth son of an eighth son. He was, quite naturally, a wizard. And there it should have ended. However (for reasons we'd better not go into), he had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son...a wizard squared...a source of magic...a Sourcerer. Sourcery sees the return of Rincewind and the luggage as the Discworld faces its greatest - and funniest - challenge yet.

Another great book in the Discworld series. Again, not let down. Although I didn't think this book was as good as Mort, Sourcery is still a good book. It is full of adventure and magic, and humour as we follow Coin, the new sourcer try to take over the world, battled by none other than Rincewind! There are eccentric characters throughout the book, and old favourites, such as Death and The Luggage. I laughed a lot through this book. Pratchett again caught my imagination and I was transported off to the Discworld, and he held me gripped as the Discworld nearly experienced The Apocalypse...

As mentioned, the characters were fantastic. I love Rincewind, and how he survives purely on being scared and running away. Death was full of his usual humour, although this time he was added by War, Famine and Pestilence. I love how Pratchett personifies things such as death and war - unique, and pure brilliance. The Luggage had it's own storyline too, which I loved. Such a funny object - I want one! And of the new characters, I loved Nigel. Training to be a barbarian through a book was justgenius!

As usual, I was left feeling satisfied and I am now longing for my next installment of the Discworld magic. I am hooked to these books.

8/10

Death: "I could murder a curry" -

This is the point I was making. I just dont think it s very funny.

So I don't think I will enjoy his books

Each to their own.

I think that you do have to abandon all vestiges of grownupness when you throw yourself

at the mercy of a Terry Pratchett book. Some funnies catch you by surprise, and

others you have the pleasure of a long build up to it.

Love 'em all! :)

I think that you do have to abandon all vestiges of grownupness when you throw yourself at the mercy of a Terry Pratchett book.

I dunno, I think he does satire very well which I consider a more "grown-up" humour. But he also does the more "slapstick" humour and daft jokes very well too. I love the Discworld books! :)

• 2 weeks later...
At school the Pratchett readers were always the geeks who also played Dungeons and Dragons, and War Hammer games. I know of adult readers who are judges and well to do men and women so there could be a social divide in readers of his books :lol:

So what you are really saying is intelligent people read Terry Pratchett?

I can carry that cross . . . :lol:

Did anyone else catch the program with Terry was talking about living with Alzheimer's last night?

A very interesting program, and also very sad.

Although he's not showing much in the way of symptoms at the moment, it is only a matter of time before he will unless some miraculous medical break through occurs.

Seeing him having problems during a book reading was very hard to watch.

Did anyone else catch the program with Terry was talking about living with Alzheimer's last night?

A very interesting program, and also very sad.

Although he's not showing much in the way of symptoms at the moment, it is only a matter of time before he will unless some miraculous medical break through occurs.

Seeing him having problems during a book reading was very hard to watch.

I watched the program last night too and I agree with you it was very interesting seeing how he copes and how people are working hard to find a cure. It was so sad to see a great author having these problems.