P G Wodehouse

sib

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Yes Wodehouse is a master. The difficulty is that he wrote about 90 books so it's hard to know where to start. I've read maybe a dozen or so. I strongly recommend Leave it to Psmith as one of his best novels. The story collections Meet Mr Mulliner and Ukridge are wonderful too. He has a particular way of phrasing things which is slightly old-fashioned and yet perfectly hilarious. And that's without even mentioning the Blandings books or the Jeeves and Wooster ones (which I don't like quite as much). The plots of his books are almost interchangeable - bossy aunts, drippy blokes, feisty girls, stolen manuscripts, prize-winning pigs - but it's all in the writing.

• 3 months later...

I know what you mean about the saminess being a good thing - it's like the characters are old friends. I think his books give you a nice, warm feeling. His use of language is masterly - the way he expresses things is funny. And some of his comedy situations are pure genius - I think Something Fresh, chapter 8, part IV is a great example. :)

I think Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie were brilliant in the TV Jeeves and Wooster. I picture them as Bertie and Jeeves when I read the books now, as well as some of the other actors in that series as their respective characters in the books.

His stories are farces about young men and women trying to make a buck and marry the girl/man of their dreams. Then of course there's Jeeves and Wooster; Wooster being the aristocratic Tim Nice But Dim character and Jeeves (his manservant) always getting him out of the various scrapes he gets into. And not to forget Ukridge, the likeable ne'er do well always with a grand scheme up his sleeve but never more than about threepence in his pocket. And Psmith, not one of my favourite characters, but a crafty and resilient chap all the same.

Some of his comic situations are brilliant, and his use of language to great comic effect and his ability to find the telling phrase are masterly.

A good one to start with would probably be Very Good Jeeves, a book of short stories with Jeeves and Wooster.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got two of the Jeeves books - Very Good, Jeeves and Right Ho, Jeeves. I know that there are a few more before those two in the series, but are they the type of books where it's better to read them in order, or doesn't it make much difference?

I've got two of the Jeeves books - Very Good, Jeeves and Right Ho, Jeeves. I know that there are a few more before those two in the series, but are they the type of books where it's better to read them in order, or doesn't it make much difference?

To be honest, you could probably read them in any order. Even if you haven't read the previous books Wodehouse will fill you in on any essential details from those stories. He makes a kind of joke of it; Wooster says 'Please stop me if I've told you this before, but for those who haven't read of my previous adventures...' etc.

Both Very Good, Jeeves and Right Ho, Jeeves are really good ones.

Wodehouse is my favourite humorous author. I saw some-one describe his books as satire, which I suppose in a way they are. I've read every book of his I can lay my hands on and many several times. They are real feel-good books and so very funny. Jeeves and Wooster are my favs, and like you say sib, Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry play their parts to perfection. But the Blandings series is excellent as well, I have a lot of affection for Lord Emsworth and his pig. I love the names the gives his characters - Gussie Fink-Nottle, Biffy, Barmy, Stiffy, Pongo etc etc.

Now I'm going to use one of his quotes as my signature:mrgreen:

I think blandings is probably his most consistently good setting. (Not sure if that was a very good sentence, but nevermind.) But some of his one-off novels are great too. Try 'The Small Bachelor' and 'Uneasy Money' (this was the first one I read, and I'm re-reading it now).

He's just got a way of saying things which is funny; your signature quote is a good example.

Not sure I'd describe his books as satires particularly, (I always think of more scathing critiques of society or something when I think of satires). I'd just describe his books as 'fun'.

Anyway, happy Wodehousing.

It's quite difficult to get hold of his more obscure (if that's the right word) books in NZ. I've read everything available in the library and always look out for his books in second-hand shops, but haven't come across these two, as far as I remember.

It's quite difficult to get hold of his more obscure (if that's the right word) books in NZ. I've read everything available in the library and always look out for his books in second-hand shops, but haven't come across these two, as far as I remember.

You'll get The Small Bachelor from Amazon. In fact, I think Amazon is quite a good place for Wodehouse.

Alot of his books are like gold-dust, now. The rarer ones seem to go for silly money on ebay. I think Everyman are doing a new series of his books, and have already got quite a few in print.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had seen a jeeves and wooster episode on tv and thought i'd like to get into reading them, so i bought "thank you jeeves" only the time i read it was when i was feeling sick and in a great deal of pain with mumps and now everytime i see them on the shelves in the book shops it reminds me of my horrid mumps, the pain the sick and supplies me with dire memories. will one day erase the memories and read more though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...