P G Wodehouse

sib

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto on what Suzanna said. The humour in The Code of the Woosters is very much like his other books. I hope you enjoy it, Frankie!

I do find that I need to take a break of at least a couple of months between his books because they are a bit samey. Mostly it doesn't bother me though because I just find them such good fun. :D

• 9 months later...

Ive never seen the TV series, was it worthwhile?

read a number of the books, I always loved how terrified everyone seemed of the formidable Aunties.

"He was a tubby little chap who looked as if he had been poured into his clothes and had forgotten to say "when!""

"The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun."

If you havent read them, then as a treat pick up pretty well any one, just be prepared for some funny looks if you read them in public.:smile2:

The TV series was fantastic .. especially the first two series. Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie are just perfect.

Wodehouse makes me crack up ... I love all his abbreviations like when Bertie said 'You know what Kipling says .. the F of the S is more deadly than the M' :smile2:

I can't imagine anyone playing the parts of Jeeves and Bertie better than those two. In fact the whole cast was brilliant, even the dogs! My daughter has fallen in love with Stephen Fry and keeps saying there's Jeeves when she sees him on other programmes :smile2:

There are so many funny Wodehouse quotes.

I love .....

'I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. '

and ....

'A melancholy-looking man, he had the appearance of someone who had searched for the leak in life's gas pipe with a lighted candle'

and ....

'It was the look which caused her to be known in native bearer circles as 'Mgobi-'Mgumbi, which may be loosely translated as She On Whom It Is Unsafe To Try Any Oompus-Boompus.'

• 2 months later...
There are so many funny Wodehouse quotes.

I love .....

'I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. '

Heh, that's one of my all-time favourites.

I was never all that keen on the Jeeves and Wooster series, though The Code of the Woosters was the first Wodehouse I ever read. I tend to enjoy his 'one-off' books better - 'Picadilly Jim' and 'Jill the Reckless' fight to be my favourite.

I just love the humour, you have to smile when reading Wodehouse. They can be a bit samey but there's something comfy cosy about reading about the same group of people. Bertie especially is so endearing.

Some favourite quotes from Jeeves and Wooster .. I could go on for pages though.

"You could fling bricks by half hour at England

• 3 months later...

I've just finished reading "Love among the chickens". Typical Wodehouse. Very funny, quick and easy read. Along with all the other stuff of his I've read, I highly recommend it

Ian

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Another Wodehouse lover here. I instinctively pick up on of his books when I'm down in dumps. Never fails to make me giggle.

Though when you read too many of his books, you'll realise some things get repetitive - but hey, I'm not complaining!

Apart from the much-loved Bertie and Jeeves, I love the 'Pig' series - and the glorious Aunts Omnibus.

• 3 months later...

I am about half way through my first ever Wodehouse Carry on Jeeves and I am loving it.

I have been avoiding them for years thinking that they will be very much of their time and a little bit alien to me and now I am regretting not starting them sooner :doh: and I knew I was onto a winner when I laughed out loud in the opening pages.

I never watched the tv series but can completely imagine Fry and Laurie playing the parts and will have to look out for the dvd's but I want to read a few more them first. I am assuming from earlier comments on there that it doesn't matter what order I read them in so will have to see what the library can provide me with.

Good to hear that P. G. Wodehouse is popular, even yet!

My Dad used to love his "Jeeves and Wooster" series, and I've read a few of them myself. They're really great laugh-out-loud novels, and I'll get a few more to keep on hand for when I need a giggle. Eventually, I hope to get around to the rest of his work.

So many books - so little time.

• 1 month later...

Another P.G Wodehouse fan here. Probably my favourite writer because he never fails to make me smile.

I've read over half a dozen of his Jeeves and Wooster novels and a few of the Blandings stories as well. I definately think Jeeves and Wooster are his greatest creation. I enjoyed the Blandings books but they lack something that the Jeeves and Wooster series possess. I think it is the fact that the J&W books are written in the first person which makes them more enjoyable, because you are cloaked in Bertie's lovable gullibility.

My only complaint about Wodehouse is, as other people have noted, that he can be a bit repetitive. The plots to the J&W books are very similar and consequently I can't read one after the other, because it feels too much like treading old ground. Many of them feature Bertie becoming engaged to somebody he doesn't want to be engaged to and trying his best to get out of it, invariably making things worse before Jeeves steps in to help him. I find I have to read a different author after Wodehouse and then start on one of his other books later.

I'm hoping to one day collect all of Wodehouse's books but since he wrote about 100 it might take me a while.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

i have collected a large number of his e-books ...in a variety of formats ...if anyone wants them let me know ..and if u have any maybe u could share with me ..i aim to collect all and build a massive collection of ebooks

I'm afraid sharing of ebooks is not something we can condone on the forum. As far as I'm aware, authors prefer that people get their e-books from authorised sources, e.g. Amazon - including their free ones. Also, as far as I'm aware, the only facility for sharing e-books would be either through a local library (in which case you need to be registered to that library and the e-book disappears from your e-reader after a specified time), or through a scheme like the Kindle Share programme through Amazon - again, you have to be a member (premium member, I think) and register for the facility.

There are plenty of reputable sources for e-books, both free ones and those for which you have to pay. This forum does have a thread to share links to free e-books (see the Kindle Klub thread HERE), but that would be the best we could do, I'm afraid.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm going to bump this thread again, as I'm just about to read my first Jeeves and Wooster book for my book group next month.  The chosen book is The Inimitable Jeeves but I've been doing a bit of searching this morning to try and find the best order to read the books in, and I've found that there are some short stories as well as full length novels that feature J&W.  Being a bit pedantic when it comes to things like this, I'd like to read them all the in correct order, but I can't seem to find a good list that covers it completely - does anyone know where I can find one?