Tennis

supergran71

One of the things I love most about my job is the fact that I can watch Wimbledon while cleaning the residents rooms, as most of them have been watching it this week - or better still, on the big screen in all the lounges. The timing of yesterdays big match was impeccable - it started just as I got home, and what a match it was ! Shame I have to work this weekend - I shall be hovering (and perhaps hoovering as well) around the lounges again ...  

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Extremely unimpressed with Radwanska's attitude at the end of the match.  But yay, GO SABINE! :exc:

With all the fist-pumping going on, I'm worried the final might become a boxing match :hide:  :giggle2:

Extremely unimpressed with Radwanska's attitude at the end of the match.  But yay, GO SABINE! :exc:

The commentator said earlier that they're not the best of friends (and I know whose side I'm on :D) but yes I agree with you .. Aggie should have been more gracious.

Sabine is brilliant .. though does she have to put us through the wringer? .. I had to leave the room again in order for her to forget about the poppyshake curse. So glad she got through and yay!! I got the final I wanted .. I'm very happy :)

Sabine vs Marion is a delicious prospect .. it's not going to be boring is it?

Now we just need Andy to get through .. though Mr Poland .. (can't remember his name .. or can't spell it :blush2:) seems a very nice guy indeed. I don't like Del Potro so in a way hoping Novak goes through.

One thing I'm hating is the completely asinine off court interviews .. yesterdays with Andy was a shocker but they've all been bad. The first couple of questions are usually ok but then it's like they've got to fill the time with claptrap. They're making Jools Holland look like a real professional  :D 

I don't think the interviews are unique to Wimbledon, it seems to have crept into a lot of sports this year. You can pretty much guarantee that they will be asked 'how does it feel' and 'talk us through xx' along with half a dozen other inane questions. The players find it tedious and I'm sure that the majority of the viewers feel the same.

I'm not so worried about those sorts of questions, but asking Sabine 'how do you do that?' (meaning smile :confused:) or Andy whether Ivan Lendl will give him the 'Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment' or Laura about how many of One Direction follow her on Twitter is all just nonsense and irrelevant.

Serena was once asked whether it was a good thing for women's tennis that she'd crashed out early (I mean .. from my point of view yay!! but you can't expect her to think that surely?) 

The players are pretty guarded these days .. they all trot out the same old platitudes but all the same .. you'd think they could come up with a decent line of questioning. It's almost as if they weren't expecting to interview them at all and are just winging it.

Andy has written on twitter/facebook that we shouldn't be too hard on Garry Richardson and that he'd had a bad day and had apologised. What sort of bad day would make you ask such a daft question as that? (and those that preceded it weren't much better). I'm not letting him off .. he's making my toes curl.

Yay .. brilliant, brilliant, brilliant .. and he didn't make us sit through a fifth set :D Well done Andy! (and now for the final .. that won't be nerve wracking .. much!!)

Hope the ladies final will be as thrilling as today's semi's :) (with Sabine winning of course :))

The Djokovic/Del Potro semi was the best match I've seen for a loooong time. 

ETA: They should take the footage of how the losers acted in both semis and stick them in front of Radwanska :rolleyes:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

The Djokovic/Del Potro semi was the best match I've seen for a loooong time.

It was fantastically entertaining, especially this little down time moments of humour too. There's nothing better than seeing two competitors at the top of their game but displaying how much they enjoy what they are doing, and entertaining the crowd too.

ETA: They should take the footage of how the losers acted in both semis and stick them in front of Radwanska :rolleyes:

Absolutely. I missed it the first time around (I was dancing around the kitchen celebrating at the time :blush:), but seeing in the highlights programme later, it was very sad to see. I did laugh at Navratilova saying that she always looked her competitor in the eye when she shook hands at the end of the game - that's because you were never the loser, Martina! :lol:

So sad for Sabine .. she didn't really show up :( Well done to Marion but I'm so disappointed that Sabine wasn't able to put the nerves behind her .. she looked unusually vulnerable out there. I thought we would at least have a tight match :( Ohhh .. I put the curse on her .. I'm so sorry Sabine :cry2: As for Radwanska :motz: .. well I suppose she's happy now :censored: 

So, are we all ready for another year of Wimbledon disappointment tomorrow? :lol:

Haha .. I have a horrible feeling you might be right you rotter :D

I do hope Mac doesn't commentate on Murray's match .. he never has a good word to say about him during his matches and always praises his opponents to the sky (and when he couldn't do that yesterday he was praising the earlier match). I like Mac when he's commentating on anyone else but when it's a Brit (it was the same .. to a lesser extent .. when Tim played) it's so obvious that he'd be happy if they lost. It maybe that he's trying to throw some balance into the commentary but good grief .. we've had years of famine .. it's a bit mean of him to begrudge us stuffing our faces now  :D

My favourite stupid commentator's comment this year was from John Lloyd who came up with this gem .. 'he's so out of his comfort zone ... but he's comfortable' :confused:  :giggle2: 

Well Andy! it's up to you now to make us happy :) please .... pretty please :D

Yay .. brilliant, brilliant, brilliant .. and he didn't make us sit through a fifth set :D Well done Andy! (and now for the final .. that won't be nerve wracking .. much!!)

Hope the ladies final will be as thrilling as today's semi's :) (with Sabine winning of course :))

Didn't see much of the women's final until the second set...so hoped she could make a come back.

We were on the way home from hols yesterday and listening to the tennis on the radio, sounds like the first semi was worthy of it being a final..! We managed to get home to watch some of our Andy Murray's game. Nerve racking or what! Stupid guy complaining about the light etc...just get on with it. Glad he proved his point and finished him off... :D

So, are we all ready for another year of Wimbledon disappointment tomorrow? :lol:

I so hope not Ben...it will be tough though and hopefully you will be eating hat after your comment! :D Be a good weekend of sport after the 'Lions' win in Oz this morning, if he does it.

Well done Andy!! :boogie: That was just fantastic :boogie: .. I can hardly believe it (pinch me someone :D) .. it was tight, very tight but we weren't put through the agonies of a five setter .. awesome! And in this heat too .. just incredible. Those first three championship points though :hide: .. I was yelling 'you've got to kill him .. now!' at the TV :blush2: Well done to Novak too .. he played marvellously but it's Andy's name on the wall :yahoo: Awww and bless Tim ... he's so generous with his comments .. you might expect him to feel a bit green eyed but he was all encouragement. Fantastic crowd too .. really amazing support.

:doowapstart: Strutting about being so proud of our Scottish lad Andy Murray :b7ydance: ...what a game and fight he put up. I shed a tear when he won the second set and soooooo wanted him to get through in 3 sets and he just went and finished the job. I was yelling at the telly, :clapping:  bury the point...and then to another match point and wins it back....I was exhausted when it was over and so pleased for him. His home town of Dunblane would be rocking last night. Hope he manages to get back for a visit soon to see his grandparents, they are so chuffed for him. :yahoo:

Can you tell I'm happy....oh and Ben are you eating hat! :cool: