Tennis

supergran71

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was an amazing game.....thought he was  goner at one point...how he came back 6-0 in that final set heavens knows. He was determined he wasn't going in because it was dark was he...lol.

Ah well...there is always next year. Didn't see any of the game Nadal v Murray. Probably just as well...would have been yelling at the telly. Nadal totally reigns on clay court.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic result for Andy again today.  The scoreline doesn't tell the whole story … Anderson really came out strong after the roof was closed, but great to see Andy triumph. :smile2:

Didn't see any of the match, but also delighted to see Sabine Lisicki won again today. Fingers crossed for another final performance for her again … and perhaps going one better than last year? :D

Yes .. well done Andy :) Watched Sabine's match .. good to see her looking confident (sorry Steve :D) .. I thought she played well but Ana is her own worst enemy sometimes. It was a great victory for style and beauty though  :D I do like to see nice dresses and more importantly .. I hate it when a nice dress is ruined by hefty bra straps at the back .. both these gorgeous girls managed to avoid that. I know this is not very important in the scheme of things .. but I can't help being distracted by it. Just for balance Feliciano Lopez looked very well indeed  :blush2: 

I'm glad Serena is out (hope Sharapova follows) .. she is just too aggressive for me and I don't like her on court demeanour. Would have liked to see Venus progress further though. 

Novak looks awesome rather worryingly and Nadal and Federer also looking good. It's going to be tough now for Andy but he can do it :smile: 

I hate rain delays .. it always messes with the result. Players have a chance to talk to their coaches and often come back fighting .. it ruins momentum (of course .. sometimes this is a good thing  :giggle: .. it all depends on who I want to win .. I've been known to do a rain dance before now  :blush2: ) I've not forgotten the Wimbledon final before last when Roger benefitted royally from a rain delay  :motz: Good job we had a heatwave last year :D   

Saw some good vintage matches on the red button on Saturday. Chris Evert vs Martina Navratilova in the final of '78 and Jana Novotna vs Steffi Graf in '93. Have now seen last years final in highlights about a million times .. which is awesome of course but hope Andy triumphs again or they'll be running that footage for ever. It is an improvement on the old grainy images of Fred Perry we used to get shown occasionally. I was tickled to see that a British lady called Kay Stammers won the ladies doubles in the same year that Fred (last) won the men's singles (along with Freda James) .. now why have I only just heard of her?  There are so few sporty Kays .. indeed I've never heard of one before. What a shame I didn't get to cheer her on but then I'd be dead or ancient now so every cloud and all that.  

I found a pic though .. it's in the National Portrait Gallery .. she looks awesome  :blush2: 

post-5612-0-08129700-1404163617_thumb.jpg

Come on Andy....he is doing well, but as you say Kay, he will have to up the game a notch again tomorrow. Hope it goes well again.

Rafa out :o Maria out :o ... this is shaping up to be very interesting .. especially in the ladies half.

Amazing play by Kyrgios today .. he's a force to be reckoned with isn't he?

Keeping everything crossed for Andy tomorrow .. hope he plays well. Hope there are no rain breaks either.

Strange goings on with Serena today ... she should never have come out for that match .. she was all over the place (even I could have beaten her :blush2:) Hope she's okay.

The U.S. is out. This is the first time since 1911 that the U.S. doesn't make the field of 16. I wonder if that means tennis is on the decline in the U.S.

Not necessarily though I have heard Mac opine about it. Possibly you have some good players coming through though. Sloane and Madison are both excellent and young .. they're bound to feature in the coming years.

O....M.....G.... was out for lunch, came back expecting to watch Andy Murray, to find out he had played, been and gone out...what the heck happened to him today! Gutted ... :negative:

O....M.....G.... was out for lunch, came back expecting to watch Andy Murray, to find out he had played, been and gone out...what the heck happened to him today! Gutted ... :negative:

Very disappointing :( He was looking so good leading up but just wasn't there yesterday. All credit to Dimitrov though .. hope he goes all the way. I wonder if Andy will stick with Amelie? There hasn't really been time yet for her to have an impact but you have to wonder what it is that he thinks she can bring to his game. Time will tell I guess but it's a shame he split from Lendl. That back surgery also has played a huge part in his dip in form ... takes a while to get back to where you were and in the meantime all the young guys are making huge progress .. very tricky.

Quite disappointingly a lot of the matches on the outer courts have been poorly attended .. especially the doubles matches. This was never the case back in the day. Is it because of the hill do you think? Some people (ie: me :D) would give their eye teeth to be able to sit there and watch a match. 

I think I put a curse on Halep today by wanting her to win  :blush2: I got a bit fed up with (what I saw as) the BBC's over promotion of Bouchard. Sue actually said at one point that Bouchard was within two points of taking the first set which .. though true .. was a bit biased as Halep was also two points away from leveling .. which she did. The score at the time was 5-6 to Bouchard and 30-30 on Halep's serve. Also Mac was Genie this and Genie that so I was all for the underdog (even though I know that Halep is ranked higher .. or was .. I should say.) Anyway it was fatal for her .. sorry Simona  :blush2: 

Petra Kvitova also through .. which I'm glad about because she seems to be a very nice unassuming girl and I like her style of play (though wouldn't have minded who won in that semi.) It'll be an interesting final anyway .. hopefully .. maybe a three setter if we're lucky (though Petra will be trying to avoid that ... her nickname is P3tra apparently because she doesn't close out matches as quickly as she should.)

The crowd and the BBC will want Bouchard and so I'm hoping it'll be Kvitova .. sorry Petra :blush2:  :D  But it is nice to see new players competing in the semis/finals so will be happy enough if Bouchard takes it. No grunters/squealers .. which is marvellous.

Hope we get some close semi finals tomorrow for the men. No guts no glory!  :D 

Caught some of the mixed doubles today. I don't normally watch much of that have to say, but really enjoyed seeing the British pair get through and then to see 'big  brother of Andy' Jamie and partner get through also....well done.

Don't want Kvitova to win at all.  Come on Bouchard!

:P  :D

No ... that would hurt our poor Laura though it also may motivate her so maybe it would be a good thing.

Edited by poppyshake

I'm supporting Kvitova because of Laura :D

Yay! Justice for Laura!  :D  

Delighted to see Djokovic win the semi - love him.

I definitely want him to win on Sunday! :) That's probably put the kibosh on him  :blush2: Sorry!

Don't worry, I jinx him enough :D

Been following him since 2009 so I like to think I liked him before it was cool. ;)

I do admire Federer though. It's Nadal and Murray I struggle with!