Tennis

supergran71

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting to annoy me how everyone keeps saying he's our first champion for 77 years, what about Virginia Wade?! :)

Yes .. it is a bit disrespectful to Ginny .. they mean men's champion obviously but they don't always say that :mad: 

And let's not forget Jonathan Marray who won the Men's Doubles last year too. 

Exactly and Jo Durie and Jeremy Bates who won the mixed in 87. Hey .. we've not done so badly after all :smile: 

Isn't this a lovely photo?

marionandy.jpg

:angel_not: chaliepud, poppyshake, and chelisbeach - before accusing someone of being disrespectful, I suggest at the very least that you take the time to understand exactly why and what you are accusing them of being disrespectful of. My post was in response to Raven's post about the men's Wimbleton Champion. Not the doubles champion or women's champion, or soccer or anything else. To say the very least, I am very perturbed about the way the post has been turned around to include subjects that were obviously not intended to be a part of the post.

I think they meant in general muggles.. it's been happening a lot online and in the media. Personally I also didn't think it of you because Raven's Sports Personality of the Year comment is an entirely different competition that we have over here (he was talking about that.. not winning Wimbledon). But honestly, I don't think you should think people were accusing you of being disrespectful at all - mainly those on Twitter and the like. :mellow:

I don't think people are commenting on your comment there, muggle, I think it is a general reaction to the way the UK press are treating this story (which, to be frank, is OTT for someone having won a game of tennis).

Yes, okay, it was the top news story yesterday and I can see why it would be more important news than the deaths in the Canadian rail crash, the problems in Egypt and a plane crash in San Francisco - it is tennis after all!

It's so important, in fact, that we got not one but two items on it in Monday night's news; I was especially amused by the piece where the BBC news reporter was down on the current state of UK tennis the day after we'd won the men's final for the first time in an ice age, but hey, you have to keep the story moving, don't you?

Edited by Raven

Yes muggle, no need to be sensitive, I was referring to our media, obviously something you are not privy to, all the radio channels here keep introducing Andy Murray as the FiRST Wimbledon champion for 77 years, which is incorrect.

Is that better? ;)

I think the OTT nature of the British media is part of the reason why the our successful people in both sport and the wider populace are disliked by large parts of the population. It happens all the time and usually for no reason other than people get sick of the constant media coverage they get. It has happened to David Beckham, Louis Hamilton, Andy Murray etc. I don't watch the news and I rarely listen to the radio so I avoid a lot of this and I was unaware that it has been pretty solid Murray coverage so far.

I'm not the biggest tennis fan but I watched a lot of Wimbledon I am very happy he won. It's always good to see our sportsmen and women doing well in whatever sport they do, it always helps to inspire the next generation. It must be a huge relief to him to get that monkey off his back, the pressure every year from the press was getting beyond a joke.

Edited by Brian.

Sorry muggle .. I was not referring to your post at all (was so confused I had to look back to see what you were referring to). It was just the way that some of our media here have been reporting Andy's win. I'm not delirious about your response though :confused:  

As for John Inverdale .. what a twit!! he should know better. I love Marion's retaliation .. she's so switched on.

• 1 month later...

Good to see Laura Robson get through another round last night in the US Open. I couldn't wait for hours to watch Andy Murray though, but glad to see this morning he got through.

Anyone else having late nights catching up with the US Open..yawn. Watched the first set of Andy Murray last night but had to cave in and go to bed...then he goes and wins the next 3...glad to see the good news this morning.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...