Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

I finally feel like I made some reading progress this weekend!!!  I know I've still been reading this month, but it's been snatched minutes here and there, but I read almost a whole Daisy Dalrymple book this weekend - Styx and Stones by Carola Dunn, and I finished it off today. :smile2:  

I also bought a new book yesterday - The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt through the Lost Words of the English Language by Mark Forsyth - after reading an article by him on the Guardian website.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bought a new book yesterday - The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt through the Lost Words of the English Language by Mark Forsyth - after reading an article by him on the Guardian website.

Was this the article about the ten most unusual/underused words? I read that as well. I'm partway through reading The Etymologicon by him. It's very interesting, and in short, punchy chapters. The links and origins between words is so fascinating. I also have The Horologicon on my Kindle, which I will hopefully get to in the near future.

Reading The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger and enjoying it but not as much as Titus Groan which I literally ate up (well .. I didn't actually because I can still see it on the shelf but you know .. it almost read itself :D) Finding it harder to pick this one up because it's not thrilling me .. though it's very likeable :shrug:  

Was this the article about the ten most unusual/underused words? I read that as well. I'm partway through reading The Etymologicon by him. It's very interesting, and in short, punchy chapters. The links and origins between words is so fascinating. I also have The Horologicon on my Kindle, which I will hopefully get to in the near future.

Yes, that was the article.  I'm definitely a very good snudger, and I'm partial to gongoozling too. :giggle2:

Romeo and Juliet was not the best reading for bed when waiting to fall asleep, so I started a 'proper' read on the side: Howards End Is on the Landing. I got to page 80 or so :)

Good .. great book. Hope you're enjoying it :)

Good .. great book. Hope you're enjoying it :)

I enjoy the topic (obviously) and Hill's writing, but I'm a bit surprised how we haven't had many books in common so far :D She doesn't wish to re-read the only Dickens I've read, and which is on my recommended books list :D I don't know the pop-up books or the travel books... Well, there's still time :D

I enjoy the topic (obviously) and Hill's writing, but I'm a bit surprised how we haven't had many books in common so far :D She doesn't wish to re-read the only Dickens I've read, and which is on my recommended books list :D I don't know the pop-up books or the travel books... Well, there's still time :D

No .. I don't think I had many books in common with her either but I just enjoyed her enthusing about her collection. I read The Blue Flower after she recommended it and it was a brilliant read so I'm encouraged to try more (but you know ... get in the queue Susan :giggle:)

No .. I don't think I had many books in common with her either but I just enjoyed her enthusing about her collection. I read The Blue Flower after she recommended it and it was a brilliant read so I'm encouraged to try more (but you know ... get in the queue Susan :giggle:)

Is this the Penelope Fitzgerald book? Oh yes it must be. You know, that is the first book mentioned in the book that I've wanted to add to my wishlist :D

(Oh wait... The Sitwells... Quite oddly, when I've been checking the bargain bucket on BD, I've noticed a bio on Edith Sitwell. I didn't know who she was/is, but because of her unique last name it's just stuck in my memory. So it was quite odd when all of a sudden Hill is talking about Sitwell :D I'm mildly curious about her now).

Is this the Penelope Fitzgerald book? Oh yes it must be. You know, that is the first book mentioned in the book that I've wanted to add to my wishlist :D

(Oh wait... The Sitwells... Quite oddly, when I've been checking the bargain bucket on BD, I've noticed a bio on Edith Sitwell. I didn't know who she was/is, but because of her unique last name it's just stuck in my memory. So it was quite odd when all of a sudden Hill is talking about Sitwell :D I'm mildly curious about her now).

Yes .. I've got a Sitwell ... now which one is it? Oh it's the 'Collected Letters' apparently .. should be interesting :)

I like it when books and authors start leaping out at you. The Secret Life of Bees was chalie's book on the 'Which Book is This?' thread and .. though I knew it of course .. it is extra leaping out at me now. Amazon recommended it to me and now the character in the book I'm reading is reading it :D

It means something :lurker:  

Yes .. I've got a Sitwell ... now which one is it? Oh it's the 'Collected Letters' apparently .. should be interesting :)

Yes, I think so :) I think I'll keep an eye out for Sitwell from now on...

I like it when books and authors start leaping out at you. The Secret Life of Bees was chalie's book on the 'Which Book is This?' thread and .. though I knew it of course .. it is extra leaping out at me now. Amazon recommended it to me and now the character in the book I'm reading is reading it :D

It means something :lurker:  

It's great how sometimes a title crops up here and there and everywhere :D But not just if a number of people recommend it, but it turns up in many different media... Like with the character in your book :D

Do you know what it means? It means you should read the book... :yes::giggle2:

So annoying! :( How is your copy corrupt? Do you have it on DVD or on TV?

I finished Replay last night and started reading Romeo and Juliet (pretty much thanks to Jänet who just read it herself and really liked it, it reminded me of my copy and how plays aren't as difficult to read as I always think).

I have it on TV. I can hear the audio but the picture keeps freezing. :(

Romeo and Juliet. Cool! I want to read that one day.

Does this mean you won't be adding the books she has been mentioning to your wish list?

'Allegiance' by Veronica Roth should be delivered tomorrow! I'm first in line to read in, then my son and then my daughter.. Have also ordered a copy from the library but no idea when that will come.

These both sound interesting.  I'm interested in etymology and the history of language.  A couple of years go I read The Story of English by Robert McCrum and others.  That was very interesting, and written in an easy to read style.  I'll add these two to my wishlist.

Romeo and Juliet was not the best reading for bed when waiting to fall asleep, so I started a 'proper' read on the side: Howards End Is on the Landing. I got to page 80 or so :)

x

Nice :)! I look forward to hear what you think. 

I didn't have a lot of books in common with her either (though a few are on my TBR) but I enjoyed her writing style and how she talks about books and her book collection.

I have finally finished reading Thinking in Numbers by Daniel Tammett. For the first time all year, Goodreads is telling me that I'm ahead in my reading challenge! (It's an extremely modest total that I'm aiming for, but I'm happy nonetheless).

My BF recently bought a few Billy bookcases from Ikea, so I'm going over shortly to help him fill his bookshelves. Yay! I haven't seen most of his book collection because they've always been in storage, so it should be a fun day.

x

Exciting news @ both! Did you like Thinking in Numbers? I read it quite a few years ago but I don't remember a lot from it (my parents have a Dutch copy). What kind of books does your boyfriend read?

'Allegiance' by Veronica Roth should be delivered tomorrow! I'm first in line to read in, then my son and then my daughter.. Have also ordered a copy from the library but no idea when that will come.

I don't want to read IT in the evening (does anyone know if it's It or IT? My cover has it written in capitals but I'm not sure) because of the scaryness factor (also both paper books are slightly heavy so I can't hold them for too long). I wouldn't say my mojo is nonexistant, I just feel it's a bit low. There's a read-a-thon in one and a half week though so I should make some progress there, reading shorter books.

I type it as IT, that's what I always see it as and it helps to differentiate between the book and the pronoun. Hope you enjoy the rest of it/IT, one of my favourite books!

Charliepud..........       Just noticed your quote [Vincent Van Gogh] Not sure if I would take any advice from him though!

I have just started to read  Dominion by C J Sansom[ got it for my Kindle] he is such a good writer.