Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got Fated done. You'd think with maternity leave I'd have more time to read, but I barely manage to touch a book all day. Now I started on Poltergeeks and have the best intentions to get it done by the end of the week.

I finished Replay last night and started reading Romeo and Juliet (pretty much thanks to Jänet who just read it herself and really liked it, it reminded me of my copy and how plays aren't as difficult to read as I always think).

Did you enjoy Replay?  :)  I hope you enjoy R&J when you go back to it.  :)

Just finished Village of the Damned aka The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham 5/5  good stuff!

I read that last year (I think) and really enjoyed it.  I've very much liked the three of his I've read so far.

Romeo and Juliet was not the best reading for bed when waiting to fall asleep, so I started a 'proper' read on the side: Howards End Is on the Landing. I got to page 80 or so :)

I enjoyed Howards End is on the Landing too!  :)

These both sound interesting.  I'm interested in etymology and the history of language.  A couple of years go I read The Story of English by Robert McCrum and others.  That was very interesting, and written in an easy to read style.  I'll add these two to my wishlist.

I spied a copy of Etymologicon on my BF's bookshelf yesterday. I'm interested in reading it too. And I've just added Mark Forsyth's other books to my wish list (he has a new one coming out shortly).

Exciting news @ both! Did you like Thinking in Numbers? I read it quite a few years ago but I don't remember a lot from it (my parents have a Dutch copy). What kind of books does your boyfriend read?

Yes, I enjoyed it. I like some chapters more than others, and some of it made my head spin, but it was interesting. I love his passion for numbers. :)

My BF reads a good mixture of books - many sci-fi and fantasy but some classics as well, and lots of non-fiction on science, politics and religion.

:D oh of course :D .. I better had then :blush2: 

Yep! :giggle2: And when you get to the Sitwell book, let me know how you liked it. If you remember. Well I shouldn't be so pro-passive, I can come in and read the review myself :D

I have it on TV. I can hear the audio but the picture keeps freezing. :(

I'm sorry to hear that :( I hope you find another way to watch it someday :)

Romeo and Juliet. Cool! I want to read that one day.

Does this mean you won't be adding the books she has been mentioning to your wish list?

Yes, that is the logical end result in this case :) I will add The Blue Flower to my wishlist, because it's by Penelope Fitzgerald and because poppyshake enjoyed it :)

My BF recently bought a few Billy bookcases from Ikea, so I'm going over shortly to help him fill his bookshelves. Yay! I haven't seen most of his book collection because they've always been in storage, so it should be a fun day.

I hope you had a great time! :) I wonder if you took pictures. I wonder if your BF had to take a door down to get them fitted :D

Charliepud..........       Just noticed your quote [Vincent Van Gogh] Not sure if I would take any advice from him though!

I don't know... I think the signature is spot on! :D

Did you enjoy Replay?  :)  I hope you enjoy R&J when you go back to it.  :)

I don't know if I want to say before I've written my review. Just to mess with Steve's head :giggle: (Of course, you're able to see my rating on GR if you don't want to wait...)

Howards End Is on the Landing has been a very quick read, I only have about 20 pages left. After finishing it I can get back to Romeo & Juliet. I've been busy the last few days, I had a long distance friend over on Monday and yesterday I had to do a lot of house work, so unfortunately I haven't had time to get into R&J. Can't wait to get back to it :)

I don't know if I want to say before I've written my review. Just to mess with Steve's head :giggle: (Of course, you're able to see my rating on GR if you don't want to wait...)

Oh, that's wicked!

Hehe - love it!  :giggle2:

ETA:  I had a peek on GR - I couldn't wait!  :D

Edited by Janet

I've got to chapter 13 page 143 and I'm enjoying it so far. It's the snowball effect of trying to get away with a crime.

My BF reads a good mixture of books - many sci-fi and fantasy but some classics as well, and lots of non-fiction on science, politics and religion.

x

That's nice :). Do you two ever sit on the sofa or on/in your bed and read next to each other? My boyfriend doesn't read much so we rarely do this. On one hand it's nice that we like different things and then can tell each other about the stories of the things that we like, on the other sometimes I think it'd be nice to both really like the same type of books so we can share that more (he has read some books I read too, but only a few).

Oh, that's wicked!

Hehe - love it!  :giggle2:

:giggle::giggle2:

Read 32% of A Tale of the Time Being, and read 156 pages (of 390!) of Sofi Oksanen's Purge 

Wow, I'm impressed! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will like the book :blush: But no pressure! :)

I started reading The Kindest Thing by Cath Staincliffe last night in bed, so far so good! :) It's weird to have three books on the go... But one's non-fiction (a dictionary at that), one's a play and one is a fictional novel, so it feels okay to juggle these books.

At the moment i'm reading The Red House  Mark Haddon for my bookclub; nearly halfway in & i'm really liking it.

I have this yet to read so that's good news KM :)

Am struggling with The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger .. it just hasn't caught fire yet :o  :D .. not half as much as I'm struggling with Virginia's The Years though .. does she enjoy making my brain ache? Both books are suffering in comparison to the two brilliant books I read last week (The Kraken Wakes and Titus Groan) which almost read themselves. If I ever get to the end of them I must choose a more exciting next read .. which one though? .. you can't tell from the spines :blush2: 

Hi, I'm new and I hope you don't mind me joining in on this thread. I love any excuse to talk about books!

I've actually got four on the go at the moment. I used to do this a lot a few years ago and had got quite strict with myself since and was doing well sticking to one, but lately I was having trouble getting in to just one; I think it was because I've been buying a lot of second hand books and had got so many that I wanted to start, I couldn't hold back haha!

So, I'm currently reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, My Sweet Valentine by Annie Groves and Beyond the Call of Duty: Heartwarming Stories of Canine Devotion and Bravery by Isabel George.

I'm loving The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, the style of writing is brilliant and I love stories set in this era. I'm also enjoying Beyond the Call of Duty: Heartwarming Stories of Canine Devotion and Bravery; I love dogs and enjoy reading true stories of their loyalty and bravery. My Sweet Valentine is the 3rd book in the Article Row series by Annie Groves, and I adore her stories, especially this series set in London during World War Two. Little Women is a re-read as I read this when I was younger, but I just got my hands on a Penguin Classics copy and couldn't resist opening it straight away!

Would love to know if anyone has read any and what you thought of them.

Selina

Hi, I'm new and I hope you don't mind me joining in on this thread. I love any excuse to talk about books!

I've actually got four on the go at the moment. I used to do this a lot a few years ago and had got quite strict with myself since and was doing well sticking to one, but lately I was having trouble getting in to just one; I think it was because I've been buying a lot of second hand books and had got so many that I wanted to start, I couldn't hold back haha!

So, I'm currently reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, My Sweet Valentine by Annie Groves and Beyond the Call of Duty: Heartwarming Stories of Canine Devotion and Bravery by Isabel George.

I'm loving The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, the style of writing is brilliant and I love stories set in this era. I'm also enjoying Beyond the Call of Duty: Heartwarming Stories of Canine Devotion and Bravery; I love dogs and enjoy reading true stories of their loyalty and bravery. My Sweet Valentine is the 3rd book in the Article Row series by Annie Groves, and I adore her stories, especially this series set in London during World War Two. Little Women is a re-read as I read this when I was younger, but I just got my hands on a Penguin Classics copy and couldn't resist opening it straight away!

Selina

Hi Selina :welcome2:

I thought The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society was a lovely book .. great writing and a very interesting period in history to read about. I did re-read Little Women recently and didn't get on with it as well as I had when younger .. something just a little too preachy in it for me now but only in parts .. there was still lots to enjoy about it. You are going to get on with frankie and chaliepud like a house on fire as they love all things canine too :D .. as do lots of other members.

I'm another who likes to read .. or finds that they often do read .. more than one book at a time :blush2: I do like variety :D .. though sometimes I make my own head boggle :blush2:

Anyway, you are going to fit it here perfectly .. we all love chatting books. Have fun x

Wow, I'm impressed! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will like the book :blush: But no pressure! :)

Well, at first I was having problems getting into Purge:unsure: .Especially with the odd notes of Hans Pekka's diary, but now that I'm reading about Aliide's '1930-40's history, its more easier to understand her actions. Now the novel is intriguing me  :smile:.

But it is not going to be a 'feel good' sort of book, is it? :mellow:

Well, at first I was having problems getting into Purge:unsure: .Especially with the odd notes of Hans Pekka's diary, but now that I'm reading about Aliide's '1930-40's history, its more easier to understand her actions. Now the novel is intriguing me  :smile:.

Yep it was a bit tricky at times, because we go back and forth in time and the narrative changes, but I'm happy to hear it's easier now for you! :) I hope you will feel it pays off in the end :)

But it is not going to be a 'feel good' sort of book, is it? :mellow:

Um, I don't want to spoil anything, but no, it's not really one of those feel good books. :empathy:

Thelilradish, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a beautiful, darling read, I'm happy to hear you are enjoying i! :)

Um, I don't want to spoil anything, but no, it's not really one of those feel good books. :empathy:

It is very good as a psychological thriller  :smile:, but I think I might need some 'pick-me-up' reading of Jeeves and Wooster after I finished with Purge  :mellow:  :console:

Selina

x

Welcome here Selina! Little Women is on my shelf but I haven't read it yet. Classics intimidate me, I don't read them that often. Four books on the go sounds difficult! Though I'm reading three at the moment, but two are information books.

It is very good as a psychological thriller  :smile:, but I think I might need some 'pick-me-up' reading of Jeeves and Wooster after I finished with Purge  :mellow:  :console:

I think that is a good idea, I hope Jeeves and Wooster will cheer you up :empathy:

I finally got my copy of the third Bridget Jones novel in the mail! I'm very excited :exc:

Still reading, suffering along with Livia.  She was a fascinating woman, I wish the book was.  /sigh/ :)  I'm about half way through.

Also reading a borrowed on Kindle book, Henry and Rachel.  Can't remember the author at the moment, kindle is upstairs.  Will post later.  It's ok, not riveting in the least.