Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

I have this yet to read so that's good news KM :)

I finished it the other day & it was so good i couldn't put it down & so i'm looking forward to discussing it at my book group meeting  :smile:

Hi, I'm new and I hope you don't mind me joining in on this thread. I love any excuse to talk about books!

I've actually got four on the go at the moment. I used to do this a lot a few years ago and had got quite strict with myself since and was doing well sticking to one, but lately I was having trouble getting in to just one; I think it was because I've been buying a lot of second hand books and had got so many that I wanted to start, I couldn't hold back haha!

So, I'm currently reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, My Sweet Valentine by Annie Groves and Beyond the Call of Duty: Heartwarming Stories of Canine Devotion and Bravery by Isabel George.

I'm loving The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, the style of writing is brilliant and I love stories set in this era. I'm also enjoying Beyond the Call of Duty: Heartwarming Stories of Canine Devotion and Bravery; I love dogs and enjoy reading true stories of their loyalty and bravery. My Sweet Valentine is the 3rd book in the Article Row series by Annie Groves, and I adore her stories, especially this series set in London during World War Two. Little Women is a re-read as I read this when I was younger, but I just got my hands on a Penguin Classics copy and couldn't resist opening it straight away!

Would love to know if anyone has read any and what you thought of them.

Selina

Hi Lilradish, welcome to the forum  :D  I really liked The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society  when i read it, it's one of those books you could recommend to anyone it has such broad appeal. Little Women is a book that i feel i aught to have read but i've not gotten round to it yet so i guess it's on my to do list  ;)

I've just started next months Reading Circle choice Titus Groan  Mervyn Peake, it's definitely out of my reading comfort zone & initially i thought i wasn't going to like it but i'm really starting to get into the story now  :readingtwo:

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just started next months Reading Circle choice Titus Groan  Mervyn Peake, it's definitely out of my reading comfort zone & initially i thought i wasn't going to like it but i'm really starting to get into the story now  :readingtwo:

Good, good, good :D .. I thought it wasn't going to be for me either and that I'd struggle but once it clicked in I was away and really enjoyed it :smile:  Look forward to seeing you in the circle KM :friends0: 

Went back and started The Luminaries again and I don't know why I had a problem :confused:  .. it's all plain sailing now and very engrossing :smile:  

And finally I have my copy of The Book Thief.. seems so "yummy" I think I'll eat it instead of read it. Already read 20 pages on my way home from the library :readingtwo:

I can't wait for this evening: a cup of lemon tea, the soft quilt mom made me and this book. Life can be simply perfect sometimes. :cat:

Hope you enjoy it Eleonora :) .. does sound like you've got a perfect evening ahead :friends0: 

Sure! If you don't mind me dancing like this:  :exc:

I won't :D I always knew you were a better dancer than me ...!

:giggle:  Poor Shel. He is such a lovely guy! Hmm, I will have to go searching for some nice pics to send you.  ;)

Nice pics? Where do you plan to find them. Online in the alternate reality?

:giggle:

And finally I have my copy of The Book Thief.. seems so "yummy" I think I'll eat it instead of read it. Already read 20 pages on my way home from the library :readingtwo:

I hope you enjoy it, Eleonora! :)

I finished the Bridget Jones book last night, I loved it! :smile2: I've now started The Tenants by Bernard Malamud. I should most definitely start Titus Groan immediately after that!

Thought I would start a spooky....'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters.......still setting the scene as yet, so not much happening, but does involve a big hoose.

Thought I would start a spooky....'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters.......still setting the scene as yet, so not much happening, but does involve a big hoose.

I've had this on my TBR pile for a while. I look forward to your thoughts!

Getting on with The Tenants by Bernard Malamud... What's really keeping me on my toes is the writing. It's beautiful and so clever. I'll need to do a few quotes when writing my review.

This title sounds familiar but I don't know anything about it. Is it on any of our lists?

There are only a few hours left of Halloween here, but in its honour I'm going to go and select a tale to read from my Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe.

This title sounds familiar but I don't know anything about it. Is it on any of our lists?

It's not, unfortunately! I bought it because I've read Malamud's The Natural (for uni) and I loved it :)

There are only a few hours left of Halloween here, but in its honour I'm going to go and select a tale to read from my Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe.

Oh so you are going to honor Halloween after all :giggle2: I've been thinking about reading me some Edgar Allan Poe, too, coincidentally :)

It's not, unfortunately! I bought it because I've read Malamud's The Natural (for uni) and I loved it :)

Oh so you are going to honor Halloween after all :giggle2: I've been thinking about reading me some Edgar Allan Poe, too, coincidentally :)

Hmm, I will have to look into this Malamud (cool name) chap. If you are responsible for adding more books to my wish list, look out, woman!

Well, maybe I'm going to honour it just a little. :lurker: Despite my FB rant, I do like the idea of Halloween and was always jealous of American kids when I was young and reading about or watching shows about Halloween. I'm just an old Scrooge now! I think I might also watch an episode or two of the Twilight Zone. :)

Good book .. the spookiness does ramp up a bit after a while .. hope you enjoy it Diane :witch: 

Reading .. amongst other things :blush2: Newes From the Dead :o by Mary Hooper which lovely Claire lent me. I'm not made of very stern stuff and it is freaking me out slightly but I'm more intrigued than anything and it's incredibly readable .. might even stick a night-light in the pumpkin later and read it in the glow :catpump: 

I started The Misremembered Man today, and I like it a lot so far. It's got such a lovely set up, and a gentle softness to it, but with darker undertones peeping through. Smashing so far, so let's hope it continues!

It's good isn't it Claire? .. glad you're enjoying it :)

Reading .. amongst other things :blush2: Newes From the Dead :o by Mary Hooper which lovely Claire lent me. I'm not made of very stern stuff and it is freaking me out slightly but I'm more intrigued than anything and it's incredibly readable .. might even stick a night-light in the pumpkin later and read it in the glow :catpump: 

You should also thank the lovely Janet who sent it to me in the first place :smile2: We're almost too lovely for our own good, aren't we? :D

Edited by chesilbeach

I didn't find this very spooky but i did think it was a really good read - Hope you enjoy it  :smile:

I've less than a 100 pages to go in Titus Groan if we don't get too many trick or treaters i might even finish it tonight  :witch:

I've less than a 100 pages to go in Titus Groan if we don't get too many trick or treaters i might even finish it tonight  :witch:

Are you finding the pages go by quickly KM? .. they did for me :) I was so daunted by a 500 pager but I had more trouble last week with a 300 pager :shrug: 

You should also thank the lovely Janet who sent it to me in the first place :smile2: We're almost too lovely for our own good, aren't we? :D

You are indeed :D You are like Mary Poppins (PPIEW :D)

I love Mary Hooper - she's one of my favourite children's/YA authors!  :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it, Kay.  

Thank you lovely Janet :friends0: I'm enjoying it lots :smile: 

It feels even more extra special now I know it's been read by two forum membies :smile2: .. two especially lovely forum membies :smile: 

I started The Misremembered Man today, and I like it a lot so far. It's got such a lovely set up, and a gentle softness to it, but with darker undertones peeping through. Smashing so far, so let's hope it continues!

I have this one my TBR list, so it's good to hear you are enjoying it.

Finished The Jungle Book last night...but I kind of fell asleep towards the end. :blush2: I started The Grapes of Wrath this morning, and enjoying it so far.

Are you finding the pages go by quickly KM? .. they did for me  :) I was so daunted by a 500 pager but I had more trouble last week with a 300 pager :shrug: 

I'm totally hooked on it Kay, my body is in the real world but my mind is lost to Gormenghast :crazy: I've got the whole trilogy in one big book so in my copy Titus Groan is only 369 pages long but the writing is so small i can't read it without my reading glasses which apparently make me look like a librarian according to my youngest DD  :reading: Only 50 pages to go now , i'm tempted to just carry on and read the whole trilogy in one fell swoop but i've got a library book that i need/want  to read as well so i'll probably break off to read that as well  :D