Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whizzing through 'Left  Neglected' by Lisa Genova....half way already! Different to what I thought it was going to be about.

Edited by Inver

I've started to read Dr. Phil McGraw - The Ultimate Weight Solution: The 7 Keys to Weight Loss Freedom. I'm also still reading Stephen King - IT (it's progressing though! The problem is it's scary so I don't want to read it when it's dark outside :giggle2:).

The library here is having a sale this week and I went there and bought some books! The last time I was there (which was also the first time), they didn't have any English books for sale but now they did! So I bought some English and Dutch books, fiction and non-fiction. I'm quite happy with it. The books are hardback, as all library books here are, and while I prefer paperbacks, I find hardbacks a lot better than hardcover since I'm always arguing with the dust jacket. I'll post a list sometime later, in my reading thread. I've felt too tired the rest of the day to catalogue my books, and I'd rather do it at a time where I'm not tired so I can enjoy it more :).

I think I need to put Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason to one side. I'm just not enjoying it. I liked the first book, but this one just seems silly. :sarcastic:  I'm going to look at my TBR list and see if I can pick something out that would be more interesting.

I think I need to put Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason to one side. I'm just not enjoying it. I liked the first book, but this one just seems silly. :sarcastic:  I'm going to look at my TBR list and see if I can pick something out that would be more interesting.

Oh dear :( I hope it's just that it doesn't suit your current mood, I hope you will like it better some other time :empathy:   Good luck with finding an unputdownable book! :)

I have about 60 pages left of Replay, should be able to finish today :)

I think I need to put Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason to one side. I'm just not enjoying it. I liked the first book, but this one just seems silly. :sarcastic: I'm going to look at my TBR list and see if I can pick something out that would be more interesting.

x

I hope you'll enjoy it more another time, and that you pick a nice, interesting book! :hug:

x

I have about 60 pages left of Replay, should be able to finish today :)

x

Nice! I look forward to hear what you think of it :).

Edited by Athena

Oh dear :( I hope it's just that it doesn't suit your current mood, I hope you will like it better some other time :empathy:   Good luck with finding an unputdownable book! :)

I hope you'll enjoy it more another time, and that you pick a nice, interesting book! :hug:

Thanks both of you. :smile: I think I'm going to go with Just Henry by Michelle Magorian and/or Chickens, Mules, and Two Old Fools. I've had them both on my Kindle since 2011, so I really should get around to reading them. :hide:

"Ooh, I'm jealous! It has been a long wait for a new book by Setterfield. I'm glad you enjoyed it."

Thanks Kylie.  Yes I thought Bellman and Black was an excellent read.  I hadn't read The Thirteenth Tale which seems to have been a massive hit for her so I will go and look out for it.

I really loved The Thirteenth Tale, as did other BCF members. I hope you enjoy it as much. :)

I'm soo happy to hear mojo's been kinder to you these days! :friends3:  That blasted thing's been too long gone, so he should make amends :yes:

I have seen half of it. I like it but for some reason I didn't watch the whole thing. I probably had problems with the digibox at the time. I think you might enjoy it :yes:

Thanks, my lovely! Yes, it definitely has a lot to make up to me. *hmph*

I tried to start watching WAoVW the other day but my copy appears to be corrupt, so I can't watch it for a little while now. How frustrating!

x x

Oops! I'm not sure whether to apologise for giving you more work or whether not to because your information would be correct(er?) now. 

x x

Definitely do not apologise! I would have realised sooner or later and would have been kicking myself more because I would have had to go back and fix up many more books. This way, you've reminded me early enough so I only have to fix about a dozen. Thanks!  :)

Just finished Carrie, got Stephen King & Peter Straubs The Talisman next.

I loved The Talisman, but for some reason never ended up trying the sequel Black House. It's on my bookshelf, and has been for probably over 10 years. :lurker:

I'm just over a third through Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools by Victoria Twead. Can't believe I've had this on my Kindle since February 2011 and I'm only just reading it now. I should have read it earlier, it's a hoot! :D

I tried to start watching WAoVW the other day but my copy appears to be corrupt, so I can't watch it for a little while now. How frustrating!

So annoying! :( How is your copy corrupt? Do you have it on DVD or on TV?

I finished Replay last night and started reading Romeo and Juliet (pretty much thanks to Jänet who just read it herself and really liked it, it reminded me of my copy and how plays aren't as difficult to read as I always think).

Have read 21% of A Tale for the Time Being. It's good, so far.

I'm struggling with Morrissey's Autobiography - it's like reading a very long Morrissey lyric  :(. There doesn't seem to have any paragraphs, just streams-of-conciousness as each chapters. Plus, there is no Table of Contents in this eBook, so I feel a bit disoriented reading this book. :unsure:

Edit: I am a fan of Morrissey, but I am surprised that Penguin Books has brought out his autobiography as a Penguin Classic. :huh:

Edited by Marie H

Definitely do not apologise! I would have realised sooner or later and would have been kicking myself more because I would have had to go back and fix up many more books. This way, you've reminded me early enough so I only have to fix about a dozen. Thanks!  :)

x

You're welcome :)!

I admit I haven't done much reading the past few days because I've been busy with other things (and my mojo has been a little low). Strangely enough I'm already slightly excited about the upcoming read-a-thon.

I've just started Richard Moore's "The Dirtiest Race in History".  It's the story of the 1988 Olympic men's 100m final, which as everyone knows Ben Johnson won, only to be disqualified after testing positive for steroids.  Moore's book looks behind the bare facts:  it traces the development of Johnson's career in parallel with that of his bitter rival Carl Lewis, the "good guy", as well as examining the climate in the sport during the 1970s and 1980s and the pressures on the athletes which, some would say, made the widespread abuse of drugs almost inevitable.

Johnson has generally been regarded as one of track and field's outcasts, but this book gives a fair and balanced picture of what was going on in the sport at that time, and surprisingly, I'm finding myself more sympathetic towards Johnson than I'd ever have imagined.

I loved The Talisman, but for some reason never ended up trying the sequel Black House. It's on my bookshelf, and has been for probably over 10 years. :lurker:

Yeah i had Black House a while ago but got put off by all the negative reviews, i will read it at some point tho