Your Book Activity - October 2013

Kylie

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean! I think I might've been too shy for it when I went to uni, but I think I would've liked it after I'd matured a bit... Maybe you and I ought to take up something at Oxford and go live on a campus together :D It would be a hoot! Or is Cambridge closer... When Alan came to visit I could go and stay at your house to house sit and cat sit :)

Oxford is just up the road  :D .. I don't think they'd let me in though .. you have to be smart or sumfink :D I'd be excellent at all the lounging about and the long lazy lunches and the quaffing champagne etc .. I feel I could be very 'Brideshead' if only they'd give me a chance .. I'm sure you'd be very good at it too :D They ought to give us a chance :yes: 

I thought you were! :o

:D  :D  .. whoever made me up didn't have much of an imagination. I need a cigar or something and possibly plus fours :cool: .. and maybe I could go on midnight walks and poke at the undergrowth with a stick :shrug:

I haven't read it, I'm afraid, and it would likely mean reading the whole trilogy, wouldn't it?  Assuming I liked it  :shrug:  I'll have a think about it :smile:

Ooh .. that's not an outright no then :thud: We're all in that boat .. I've only committed to the first book .. I figure that if I love it then it will be no hardship to read the other two .. apart from financial of course :D I'm backing off now though .. while the going's good :D

Oh, brilliant, Eleonora! The Book Thief is such a terrific read. Your English is already excellent, but I'm still happy you've found some English books to read. I always worry that things get lost in translation, so it might be nice for you to read some books in the original language.

Thank you Kylie.. I'm afraid there are plenty of things that get lost in translation, sadly. Sometimes, I like reading american or english classics in their original versione and then I read the translated one and I find that, even if the story is obviously the same, the italian version looses some - how to call it - shades. I can't wait to start reading those books! :)

That's amazing news, I'm sooooo happy for you!!! :D:friends3::readingtwo:   Maybe you could see if you could find a copy of Augusten Burroughs's Dry at that library, and cancel the order at the other one, the one that hasn't still delivered it to you :censored:   I'm sure you're going to spend quite a while now, checking out which books they have... Happy times! :D

You know Frankie, that was the first thing that came up to my mind when I found the library. Unfortunately, Dry is not in the list of the available yet, but the other good thing is that I can ask the library to buy some books sometimes. In the next few days I have to prepare a list of the books I would like to read and then, hopefully in a couple of weeks, I will have a copy!!! Yeeeehh!

Ah, Frankie, The Class was the first book I read in my life. It's my very first time with the pages! I was 8 and I found the book in my parents' room. They told me not to read it because it wasn't for children.. But, you know, I had some troubles with authorities (still have) and I stole the book as soon as I could. I loved it sooo much!! At the beginning I loved Daniel, because he had my surname, I must admit. I read it so many times since, and I always find it a wonderful story. I do hope you'll like it!

Oxford is just up the road  :D .. I don't think they'd let me in though .. you have to be smart or sumfink :D I'd be excellent at all the lounging about and the long lazy lunches and the quaffing champagne etc .. I feel I could be very 'Brideshead' if only they'd give me a chance .. I'm sure you'd be very good at it too :D They ought to give us a chance :yes: 

Seriously, Oxford's just up the road?? This must be fate... :D We have to apply! :yes: Oooh you know what we'll do. We won't apply. We'll just walk in and act as we belonged. Go to the lit classes, and the ones that have the cutest professors and student, and then go lunching and have picnics in the parks and read books and whatnot :cool: When can we go?!? :exc:

You know Frankie, that was the first thing that came up to my mind when I found the library. Unfortunately, Dry is not in the list of the available yet, but the other good thing is that I can ask the library to buy some books sometimes. In the next few days I have to prepare a list of the books I would like to read and then, hopefully in a couple of weeks, I will have a copy!!! Yeeeehh!

I'm sorry Dry's not in the library collection, but like you said, maybe they'll order for a copy! I'm so excited for you! :D

(Why did we think you should read Dry first? Was it because it's the only book by Burroughs in that other library? Because I would start with Running With Scissors :yes: Did you look for that in the new library?)

Edit: Or had you already read RWS?

Ah, Frankie, The Class was the first book I read in my life. It's my very first time with the pages! I was 8 and I found the book in my parents' room. They told me not to read it because it wasn't for children.. But, you know, I had some troubles with authorities (still have) and I stole the book as soon as I could. I loved it sooo much!! At the beginning I loved Daniel, because he had my surname, I must admit. I read it so many times since, and I always find it a wonderful story. I do hope you'll like it!

I can't believe it, what a coincidence!! :D I love it that you rebelled and read the book in secret :giggle2::friends3:  I'm very much enjoying the book, yes, although I'm not very far yet. I should spend less time on the forum and more time reading the book... :giggle2:

Since you liked The Class by Erich Segal, maybe you would enjoy Love Story, too. It's a beautiful book :)

Edited by frankie

I found a library with english books too .. and some of them are NEW!!!! :exc:

I found The Book Thief.. ok not so new, but still not tranlated in italian. Now I can read some of the books you mentioned here in this forum and maybe I could emprove my poor english too.. unless it's too late for that! :blush2:

x

That's great!! Your English is pretty good :). Have fun reading some English books. I really liked The Book Thief when I read it.

x

Brilliant book ... hope you enjoy it frankie :) I know I would've hated boarding school and university but it's never stopped me wishing I had gone there. In reality though I've always hated being away from home for more than five mins. I just want to eat sausages at midnight and go skinny dipping but I guess I could do that anyway :blush2: .. and there's no-one here to sneak on me but then there's no-one to giggle with either :( Oh man!! .. why can't I be fictional? :D 

x

That's interesting to hear :). It's definitely not my thing. In the Netherlands there's no such thing as boarding school or campus's such as in US or UK. Here it's normal for students to rent a room in a student house, during the study. In the first year only half of them usually are living on their own, but in the second year nearly all of them are. It's always made me feel left out, I travelled about two hours each day to get to university (and two hours back). A lot of students thought it was weird of me to prefer living with my parents and travelling to university, over being in a room in a house with other students. I can see though why some people might like it, it's just not for me.

x

Since you liked The Class by Erich Segal, maybe you would enjoy Love Story, too. It's a beautiful book :)

x

Love Story is on my wishlist, I'm glad to hear you like it :).

I've finished Dead in the Water this morning, and started Mr Knightley's Diary for my Jane Austen challenge.

For the same challenge, I'm also about halfway through listening to Mansfield Park, and although for the most part I'm enjoying it, I do find that the narrator is affecting different voices for the different characters, and her choices for the heroine Fanny, and her aunt Lady Bertram, are grating on my nerves a bit.  You'd think I'd have got used to it after eight hours! :D

Thanks everyobody for saying my english is good ..  you're all sweet and too kind. Just let me know where you want me to send your money now.. c'mon, you can't have said that for free! :P

I read Love Story too, perhaps 15 years ago or something. I really enjoyed it, I really cried my heart out. Yes, Frankie I've already read RWS and I thought it was a great book! I took a good look at your suggestions about other Borroghs ' Books and the only one I found was Dry. Bu it's been ages since I requested it.. I would like to read it before forcing the library to buy other AB books.

I read Love Story too, perhaps 15 years ago or something. I really enjoyed it, I really cried my heart out. Yes, Frankie I've already read RWS and I thought it was a great book! I took a good look at your suggestions about other Borroghs ' Books and the only one I found was Dry. Bu it's been ages since I requested it.. I would like to read it before forcing the library to buy other AB books.

Another Love Story fan! :friends3:  Did you read the sequel, Oliver's Story? That was great, too. Real tear jerkers :blush:

It must be at least half a year now that you ordered Dry... :no::empathy:  Maybe you'll get it really soon now.

Ooh .. that's not an outright no then :thud: We're all in that boat .. I've only committed to the first book .. I figure that if I love it then it will be no hardship to read the other two .. apart from financial of course :D I'm backing off now though .. while the going's good :D

:lol:  Well the trilogy is in one volume on Kindle for £10 :shrug:

I'm 150 pages into The Kraken Wakes  :hide:

Seriously, Oxford's just up the road?? This must be fate... :D We have to apply! :yes: Oooh you know what we'll do. We won't apply. We'll just walk in and act as we belonged. Go to the lit classes, and the ones that have the cutest professors and student, and then go lunching and have picnics in the parks and read books and whatnot :cool: When can we go?!? :exc:

Well it's about an hours drive away :) We must go .. nay we shall go :D .. I'm sure we can blag it. Have you got a bicycle? .. and a cigarette holder? .. and a corkscrew? :D  ooh and an old copy of Hemingway in your back pocket (I'll put Woolf in mine :D) .. sorted!

:lol:  Well the trilogy is in one volume on Kindle for £10 :shrug:

Oh :blush2: I've just ordered Titus Groan for £6.47 .. clearly I didn't do my research but then I've still not been able to knuckle down to reading books on my Kindle. Part of that is due to its size .. it's too large to hold comfortably and part of it is guilt I think. After I said I would never get one and all :blush2: (I must say though I like filling up my Kindle library ... it takes up no space and the books don't sit there reproaching me .. perhaps they should actually .. I might start reading them  :blush2:)

I'm 150 pages into The Kraken Wakes  :hide:

This is winging its way to me too along with Titus Groan .. I will tackle it first .. I do love vintage sci-fi :smile:

Have just started The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper .. you may remember that this is the book Claire made Alan buy for me :giggle2: 

I'm enjoying it so far :smile: 

I noticed The Kraken Wakes was the RC book for this month so last night, just out of curiosity, I dug out my old copy (I read it in 1981, when I was at school  :o ) and read the first page - then I just kept reading, and brought it with me today, so I guess I might be commenting in an RC thread for the first time ever :o  :D

Ahhh HAH!!  Goodie! :D

I found a library with english books too .. and some of them are NEW!!!! :exc:

I found The Book Thief.. ok not so new, but still not tranlated in italian. Now I can read some of the books you mentioned here in this forum and maybe I could emprove my poor english too.. unless it's too late for that! :blush2:

Oh joyous day!  Very happy for you.  :clapping:

And.

Your English is very good.  You express yourself very well. :cool:

Edited by pontalba

Well it's about an hours drive away :) We must go .. nay we shall go :D .. I'm sure we can blag it. Have you got a bicycle? .. and a cigarette holder? .. and a corkscrew? :D  ooh and an old copy of Hemingway in your back pocket (I'll put Woolf in mine :D) .. sorted!

I do have a bicycle, so I suppose I must take it with me on the plane when I come over :D We shan't do a tandem, Kylie's story was scary... :giggle2: I do have a corkscrew, but not a cigarette holder... So we must go shopping in town before we leave to have our education :D Ooooh Woolf and Hemingway! We'll blow them aways :cool: (The students and professors... Not W&H!)

Another news: I got a book package today, it was from chaliepud! :flowers2:  I got One Dog And His Boy by Eva Ibbotson and The Kindest Thing by Cath Staincliffe. Looking forward to both :) And I also got a beautiful bookmark and a card, both doggy related :D Chalie knows me so well! :smile2:

I do have a bicycle, so I suppose I must take it with me on the plane when I come over :D We shan't do a tandem, Kylie's story was scary... :giggle2: I do have a corkscrew, but not a cigarette holder... So we must go shopping in town before we leave to have our education :D Ooooh Woolf and Hemingway! We'll blow them aways :cool: (The students and professors... Not W&H!)

They won't have seen anything like us before .. we'll astound them :D I can't see that we'll learn anything frankie .. but they'll learn plenty :giggle2:

Another news: I got a book package today, it was from chaliepud! :flowers2: I got One Dog And His Boy by Eva Ibbotson and The Kindest Thing by Cath Staincliffe. Looking forward to both :) And I also got a beautiful bookmark and a card, both doggy related :D Chalie knows me so well! :smile2:

Awww ... doggy presents .. how lovely dog_walking.gif

They won't have seen anything like us before .. we'll astound them :D I can't see that we'll learn anything frankie .. but they'll learn plenty :giggle2:

:D Yep, they'll learn, alright :lol: *plotting*

Awww ... doggy presents .. how lovely dog_walking.gif

Hehe, you've been to that one place where you get these emoticons, haven't you  :D That's a great one! And I love it that the person is still smiling, and not getting grumpy :D

I was going to read all day long, because I wanted to and because of read-a-thon, but I only managed 20 pages or so. My excuse is that I had to go to town and um.. Criminal Minds :rolleyes: I'm still enjoying the book, though!

Clueless! :giggle2:   I haven't seen that film - I must watch it now.   I'm excited to have finished it as I started it on 18 September - I've been so busy, and my mojo went awol, which is why it took me so long - but I loved it!  :D

Clueless! :giggle2:   I haven't seen that film - I must watch it now.   I'm excited to have finished it as I started it on 18 September - I've been so busy, and my mojo went awol, which is why it took me so long - but I loved it!  :D

I'm glad you loved it J - 2014 WILL be the year I read my first Austen...

I've now finished Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell and started The Classifier by Wessel Ebersohn. I'm only 8% in (no pages on this ebook!) but it's already fascinating. It's centred around apartheid in South Africa.

I also went to investigate my new library after moving, and it has an excellent and varied selection :D

Okay :D I'm happy you enjoyed it! Emma's Daddy is a wonderful, funny character, is he not :D Which movie will you watch? There's one with Gwyneth Paltrow and one with Kate Beckingsale.

I'd like to read Instructions for a Heatwave , Alex. What did you think?

Hurrah for your new library. :)

I really enjoyed it! The only thing I would say is I found the ending a bit... Abrupt. Can I say that or is it too spoilery? Not sure.

My copy has a good few pages of blurb at the back though, so I wasn't aware I was coming to the end, which always throws me a bit!

I can send you my copy if you like, I need to clear some shelf space anyway ;)