Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

Interesting.  I just finished an estimated 4 page short story from Hugh Howey called Promises of London.  He estimated it would take 10 minutes to read and it took me 9, so yes, this is THAT short and yes, it is a complete story.  I'm off to start a Lee Child/ Jack Reacher Kindle Single.

I'm glad you're having fun! 

So I just finished the last half of An Old Captivity by Nevil Shute. (pages 174-333) It's the third one of his that I've read, and I'll definitely read more. This one was my least favorite of the three, although still very enjoyable. I think the fact that I read the first half a week ago and wasn't able to read the last half until today didn't help.

I also did a story time today and read aloud a stack of children's books. Not sure how that figures in, if at all, but there it is.

I'm getting ready to start The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg. i've read the sample chapters on Kindle and am interested to see how this goes.

I'm glad you liked it though it's a shame it's not as good as the other ones you've read. Which other ones did you read?

The Paper Magician sounds good based on its synopsis, I hope you like it! Do let me know what you think, it sounds like something I might enjoy :)

I will start on Matt Haig's To Be a Cat today. I'm in the mood for children's fiction at the moment, so I might re-read Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince at some time during the weekend too.

I really liked The Little Prince! I hope you enjoy both of the books if you read in both :).

In halfway through Undone By Cat Clarke. I picked it for a light, easy, young adult read.

Now I find out its about a boy who killed himself because he was bullied for being gay. Not so light and easy!!

It's excellent though.

Wow, very different from what you expected, that's heavy! I'm glad you're liking it though :).

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Friday 05-12-2014

40 mins, 95 pages, Catherine Ryan Hyde - Becoming Chloe (120 pages read before the read-a-thon)

35 mins, 97 pages, Emily Barr - Blackout (QuickReads)

45 mins, 133 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 23: Dawn on the Coast (re-read)

1h 20 mins, 176 pages, Simon de Waal and A. C. Baantjer - De Waal & Baantjer 1: Een Rus in de Jordaan

35 mins, 425 pages, Ema Toyama - I Am Here! 2: Volume 2

Total: 4 h 5 mins, 926 pages

Overall I did more reading than I thought I would yesterday. I was out for part of the day and I did some baking and had a long dinner with my family, so I'm quite surprised I managed to read as much as I did. All of the books I read were enjoyable and I had a lot of fun :).

I've been out this morning but hopefully I can do some reading later this afternoon. I did read for an hour in bed this morning in a Donald Duck pocket (which was very good).

I hope everyone else has some more nice reading moments this weekend :).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Off out today but read The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman this morning. Not sure what to pick up next.

Ooh, I thought that was an intriguing read! I look forward to your thoughts on it.

I will start on Matt Haig's To Be a Cat today. I'm in the mood for children's fiction at the moment, so I might re-read Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince at some time during the weekend too.

I'd like to read To Be a Cat one day. :)The Little Prince is one of my favourite books! It's so good, isn't it? (I assume you think so, otherwise I don't think you'd be re-reading it?)

I cannot believe it. I had 30 pages left to go and I forgot my book at home! I do have two others with me that I can start, but I really wanted to know how it ended. :(

Oh no! I hate it when that happens. :(

I'm afraid I won't be able to join in this weekend. Some work came through, so I have no time for reading. :(

I really liked The Little Prince! I hope you enjoy both of the books if you read in both :).

Thanks. To Be a Cat is good so far, and I'm looking forward to reading The Little Prince today  :smile:.

I'd like to read To Be a Cat one day. :)The Little Prince is one of my favourite books! It's so good, isn't it? (I assume you think so, otherwise I don't think you'd be re-reading it?)

To Be a Cat is good, though I've only read two chapters so far. The book illustrations are beautiful, and I am such a sucker for children's book ink-illustrations.

The Little Prince is a wonderful, magical book, isn't it? I love it! :smile:  I only read it for the first time about five years ago, and I wonder what I would have thought of the book, if I had read when I was a child. There are so many different layers of significance and meanings of the book, for a child or an adult.

Just finished The Paper Magician this morning despite waking up with a terrible cold. Last night I started on The Angel of Losses by Stephanie Feldman and will likely continue with it off and on throughout the day.

I love the covers of this series... did you know #2 The Glass Magician just came out a month ago?  I'm sorry you are sick!

I am in the middle of a Jack Reacher Short Story, Not a Drill

I didn't get as much reading time as I'd hoped - although I do have a full evening ahead of me now.

Just finished Undone, a total emotional roller coaster and I'm now going to go and watch some NFL to calm myself down. Jeeeez. Really must read more by Cat Clarke ASAP.

I love the covers of this series... did you know #2 The Glass Magician just came out a month ago?  I'm sorry you are sick!

I am in the middle of a Jack Reacher Short Story, Not a Drill.

I saw that! :) Actually, my library had the second one, but not the first one. I had to wait for them to order it. The covers are what attracted me to it as well.

The sickness has actually gotten worse. I've been asleep all day. I thought it was just a bad cold, but it seems to be much more than that.

I just bought my husband a signed Jack Reacher novel for Christmas. I'm hoping it's a good one!

I saw that! :) Actually, my library had the second one, but not the first one. I had to wait for them to order it. The covers are what attracted me to it as well.

The sickness has actually gotten worse. I've been asleep all day. I thought it was just a bad cold, but it seems to be much more than that.

I just bought my husband a signed Jack Reacher novel for Christmas. I'm hoping it's a good one!

Aw!  I hope you feel better soon!

Which Jack Reacher?  I am so jealous!  Reacher is my literary crush :wub:

Note: Some emoticons were removed.

I cannot believe it. I had 30 pages left to go and I forgot my book at home! I do have two others with me that I can start, but I really wanted to know how it ended.

Awww :(. That's not nice!

I'm afraid I won't be able to join in this weekend. Some work came through, so I have no time for reading.

I hope your work was okay, Kylie, and that you can read some more some other time :).

Thanks. To Be a Cat is good so far, and I'm looking forward to reading The Little Prince today.

To Be a Cat is good, though I've only read two chapters so far. The book illustrations are beautiful, and I am such a sucker for children's book ink-illustrations.

The Little Prince is a wonderful, magical book, isn't it? I love it! :smile:  I only read it for the first time about five years ago, and I wonder what I would have thought of the book, if I had read when I was a child. There are so many different layers of significance and meanings of the book, for a child or an adult.

I'm glad you're enjoying your reading :).

I am in the middle of a Jack Reacher Short Story, Not a Drill.

How was it, did you finish it by now? Sorry if you've posted this in your thread already, I will go and look! 

I wasn't officially in the game, but I did read 90%, and finished up, When We Were Orphans...336 pages.

Well done :)!

I didn't get as much reading time as I'd hoped - although I do have a full evening ahead of me now.

Just finished Undone, a total emotional roller coaster and I'm now going to go and watch some NFL to calm myself down. Jeeeez. Really must read more by Cat Clarke ASAP.

Awww sorry to hear that, I'm glad you liked Undone though :)

I hope you get well soon, Dtr :flowers2::(.

Well I completely blew my attempts to join the readathon. I've had a rough few days and basically spent the weekend on the sofa doing very little.

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon!

Here's my progress for Saturday and Sunday:

Saturday 05-07-2014

1h, 254 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 202: De Zwarte Magiër

1h 15 mins, 321 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 1: Fantasia (Nel Regro Della Fantasia)

25 mins, 159 pages, Neil Gaiman - Unfortunately, the Milk...

30 mins, 95 pages, Stephen King - Achtbaan (Riding the Bullet)

50 mins, 80 pages, Annie M. G. Schmidt - Minoes (re-read)

Total: 4h, 909 pages

Sunday 06-07-2014

25 mins, 64 pages, Annie M. G. Schmidt - Minoes (re-read)

1h 20 mins, 170 pages, Norma Fox Mazer - Babyface

20 mins, 99 pages, George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire: De Ijsdraak (The Ice Dragon)

1h, 111 pages, George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire: De Hagenridder (The Hedge Knight)

Total: 3h 5 mins, 444 pages

Total this read-a-thon: 12h 10 mins, 2279 pages, 12 books read (1/4th of one + 3/4th of another)

I had a good reading day on Saturday, I really enjoyed my reading though I was a bit tired. I was exhausted on Sunday though it was supposed to be my best reading day. I thought I'd be able to get the most reading in, not having to go out. I did go out to one shop and throughout the day was very exhausted. I wasn't able to do much of anything though I did manage to do some reading in the end.

I'm still very tired by the way.. I hope to recover during the week. I'm exhausted from the past few weeks, it's been tiring.

I had fun during this read-a-thon, even though I didn't read all the books I planned. That said, it was always way too ambitious and I wasn't very likely to actually read all the books I wanted to read. That said, I did read all of the paperbooks (plus 1/4th of the one I had started before the read-a-thon) and one and 3/4rds extra from my library that I didn't know I was going to read. I didn't read any of my Kindle Christmassy books, I hope to read those in December before Christmas, though.

The next read-a-thon will in principle take place on 2nd, 3rd and 4th of January. I'm not sure if this is a good weekend to pick, because of New Year's happening just before. What do you all think? I'd be okay with these dates I think, since I don't plan on doing much on New Year's really, but I don't know how it is for other people?

Well I completely blew my attempts to join the readathon. I've had a rough few days and basically spent the weekend on the sofa doing very little.

I think that happens to the best of us! Aside from finishing the end of a novel, my Sunday was a complete wash!

I hope you get well soon, Dtr :flowers2::(. Awww, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon! The next read-a-thon will in principle take place on 2nd, 3rd and 4th of January. I'm not sure if this is a good weekend to pick, because of New Year's happening just before. What do you all think? I'd be okay with these dates I think, since I don't plan on doing much on New Year's really, but I don't know how it is for other people?

Thanks so much for the well-wishes! I hope you get some rest, as well!

Actually, the next read-a-thon dates are great for me, too, because I'm off work still for Christmas break. :)

Well, I did terrible page wise, probably about 200 pages :giggle2: BUT I read 7 Short Stories and they were all great.  I met several great characters, went to so many different places and had many different experiences :smile: Even attempted to climb up a mountain on an alien planet :giggle2:   They were all great, but I think I liked Old Girls in Low Cotton by Helen Childress best (the only one I didn't know much about). 

Friday:

"book" 74. Promises of London- Hugh Howey (est. 4 pages)

75. Glitch- Hugh Howey (est. 18 pages)

Saturday:

76. The Walk up Nameless Ridge- Hugh Howey (est. 18 pages)

Sunday:

77. Not a Drill (Jack Reacher Short Story)- Lee Child (est. 44 pages)

78. Mitosis (A Reckoners Story)- Brandon Sanderson (est. 35 pages)

79. Old Girls in Low Cotton- Helen Childress (est. 42 pages)

81. Deep Down (Jack Reacher bonus short story)- Lee Child (est. 44 pages)

Saturday was a lousy reading day because I spent the day with a good friend and saw a movie (Interstellar), which was almost painful as I wasn't really looking forward to the movie and really anticipated the books I wanted to read!  Sunday it was a nice, cold, rainy, grey day, so I got to sit in my room for most of the day and read ahhhh.... so nice :smile:  

I got him Personal. Is it a good one?

OMG I loved Personal!  It's the very latest one (I think it came out in August) and has been one of the best Reacher's in awhile.  I think he'll love it!

Edited by Anna Begins

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that. He's a bit particular about his reading, so it was rather a stab in the dark.

It's slightly different in that it takes place not in the US but in France.  Lots of action though and Lee Child really shows off his research on the topic (a world best sniper out to assassinate a Head of State).  Don't let him read the Amazon synopsis, it gives away A LOT!

I'm glad you had a lot of fun, Anna :)!

So much fun, I think I will continue with short stories and Kindle singles if I can til the 14th at least (when Howey's The Shell Collector comes out- are you tired of hearing about him yet??  :P ).

I think he is my new CRH.  I wish she wrote Kindle Singles. :wink:

So much fun, I think I will continue with short stories and Kindle singles if I can til the 14th at least (when Howey's The Shell Collector comes out- are you tired of hearing about him yet??  :P ).

I think he is my new CRH.  I wish she wrote Kindle Singles. :wink:

I hope you continue to have fun :readingtwo::).

I wish that too, I'm sure they would be good :).

Actually, the next read-a-thon dates are great for me, too, because I'm off work still for Christmas break. :)

Well, no one else has responded and these two dates are good for you and me, so I'd say we can plan to have it at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th for now :).