Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

I had a good read-a-thon. I managed to finish Last Evenings on Earth by Roberto Bolano, read Octopussy by Ian Fleming and work most of my way through The Career Break Book by Charlotte Hindle. No idea how many pages I read but it has been one of my more productive reading weekends.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a good read-a-thon. I managed to finish Last Evenings on Earth by Roberto Bolano, read Octopussy by Ian Fleming and work most of my way through The Career Break Book by Charlotte Hindle. No idea how many pages I read but it has been one of my more productive reading weekends.

Nice! It sounds like you've made great progress. :) I'm settling in to squeeze in a little last-minute reading as the night is still young where I live.

Had a GREAT weekend, feel so fortunate to have discovered this series., or, ahem! Serial.

Friday February 5th:

Yesterday’s Gone: Season One, Episodes 5 and 6

Yesterday’s Gone: Season Two, Episode 7

Est: 350 pages

Saturday February 7th:

Yesterday’s Gone: Season Two, Episodes 8-10

Est: 350 pages

Sunday February 8th:

Yesterday’s Gone: Season Two, Episode 10- 12

Est: 325 pages

Total= 925 pages

I completely forgot that this weekend was a read-a-thon. Doh! I guess I will have to wait until next month  :D

I hope you can join us next month :). The read-a-thon is always on the first Fri-Sat-Sun in the month, when all three have the month's date (so basically it starts the first Friday of the month), it will be on 6th, 7th and the 8th of March. 

Don't feel bad! I've been a bit of a slacker this weekend. Friday I read three issues of Threads magazine cover to cover, skimmed through a book on sewing skirts and read half of another book on garments. Saturday, I went to parades and napped. Highly productive. :giggle2: Today I'm alternating between sewing and lazing around on here. Does reading posts count toward my totals?

Awww, I hope you had fun though :). I hope your next read-a-thon will be more satisfying for you. 

I'm glad you had fun :)

I got a good three hours reading of The Giver this afternoon.

I'm glad you're enjoying the book :)!

Had a GREAT weekend, feel so fortunate to have discovered this series., or, ahem! Serial.

I'm glad you had a lot of fun and seem to be finally out of your reading slump (hopefully..) :D.

Here is my progress for yesterday:

Sunday 07-02-2015

40 mins, 184 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 7: Fantasia VII (Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia 7: Settimo Viaggio Nel Regno Della Fantasia)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 36: Een Diefstal Om Van Te Smullen (Lo Strano Caso Del Tiramisù)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 58: Grote Griezels: Een Gruwelsaurus! (Il Risveglio Del Brividosauro)

25 mins, 144 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 64: Wie Wordt de Nieuwe Meesterchef? (La Gara Dei Supercuochi)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 67: Op Missie in Moskou (Il Mistero Delle Sette Matrioske)

45 mins, 222 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Robin Hood (Dutch translation)

35 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Alice in Wonderland (Alice Nel Paese Delle Meraviglie)

1h 10 mins, 149 pages, Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 5: Hoe Overleef Ik Mezelf?

1h 30 mins, 142 pages, Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 6: Hoe Overleef Ik Een Gebroken Hart?

Total: 6h 5 mins, 1449 pages

I read a lot yesterday. Granted, all the Stilton books had big letters and lots of pictures in it, so that's how I got to read that many pages. I enjoyed reading them a lot though and I also enjoyed reading the two Francine Oomen books (I've got a few more to read, mainly library loans). I had a lot of fun yesterday reading a lot :).

Total this read-a-thon: 15h 40 mins, 3371 pages, 15 books read

Oef.. I don't often have a read-a-thon as successful as this one! Even though I didn't read all the books I perhaps wanted to read, I had a lot of fun reading a lot. At times I was distracted by the computer but I managed to get a lot of reading done while less distracted by other things, too.

As posted above, the next read-a-thon will take place starting on the first Friday of March and finishing on the first Sunday in March, the 6th, 7th and the 8th of March.

:readingtwo:

I hope you can join us next month :). The read-a-thon is always on the first Fri-Sat-Sun in the month, when all three have the month's date (so basically it starts the first Friday of the month), it will be on 6th, 7th and the 8th of March. 

That falls during my spring break!  :D

I will definitely get a lot of reading done that weekend. Hooray!

And although I forgot, I managed to read for around 4 maybe 5 hours on Sunday and read the final 200+ of Uncle Tom's Cabin

If reading was an Olympic event you would win the Gold with ease Gaia. :doowapstart:

Thanks Brian :)!

That falls during my spring break!  :D

I will definitely get a lot of reading done that weekend. Hooray!

And although I forgot, I managed to read for around 4 maybe 5 hours on Sunday and read the final 200+ of Uncle Tom's Cabin

I hope you'll have a fun break :)! It's nice you did some nice reading, as well, did you like the book?

• 2 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon should take place on the 6th, 7th and 8th of March (so in two weeks time). My boyfriend will just be back from the UK a few days before then, so I don't know if I can spend much time read-a-thon-ing that weekend. It depends how tired he is and what he wants to do. I can imagine we'll want to spend some time together as we've missed each other.

I do plan on doing a lot of reading while he's away (ie. the next weekend), but I wouldn't want to move the read-a-thon just for me, if that's awkward with other people. So my question is, is anyone planning on doing some reading during the March read-a-thon, and which dates would work best for you? If it's inconvenient to move the dates we'll just keep it as it is but I might do more reading on my own in the week before. I know I started the read-a-thon but I wouldn't want to move it if other people disagree. I don't know if there were many people who planned to join in, anyway, so if you do want to join in, feel free to post your thoughts :).

Any of the three weekends, the one before the originally planned, the originally planned one, or the week after are good for me. So whatever the consensus is, I'll go along with. 

Or it could be February 27th, 28th and March 1st, if anyone wants to do some read a thon-ing this weekend.

Yes, that would work best for me, personally. 

Any of the three weekends, the one before the originally planned, the originally planned one, or the week after are good for me. So whatever the consensus is, I'll go along with.

That's great to hear :). I'll wait and see if anyone else replies in the next few days, but otherwise I propose we have it on the 27th, 28th and the 1rst as Anna suggested. I'll be reading a few of my 'usual' read-a-thon type books and some library loans (I'll post a list at a later time once we've decided and I've decided which books), if we have it on these days (if not.. I might do the same thing on the weekend we plan, but I might not read much).

This is just me, but 6-8.3. would work better for me personally, as I'm going to be somewhat busy this weekend. But if you guys want to do the read-a-thon this weekend, that's fine with me, I can do my own read-a-thon during 6-8.3. :D That is, if that time still suits me when it comes. 

Edited by frankie

Yes, maybe have it on both weekends for this month if someone can't do it on the normal weekend.

I think it would be generally better to stick to the timetable we already agreed to, otherwise it will get too confusing.

We could do it on both weekends, if you are all okay with that?

I'll probably still be able to do some reading on the original weekend, but I didn't want to feel too pressured about it as I'll want to spend time with my boyfriend who'll just be back from the UK then.

I don't believe we've ever moved the read-a-thon before, if I'm not mistaken, I think we've always held it at the first Fri-Sat-Sun that fully falls in the month (so the weekend of the first Sunday of the month), except the very first time (when we spend a couple of weeks planning what would work best for everyone). I have participated in all of the read-a-thons since we started with it, though I believe once or twice I only participated "voor spek en bonen" which doesn't seem to have an adequate English translation in this situation (basically I did do some reading but I didn't seriously try to read a lot due to being busy with other things).

So I guess I would propose to have two read-a-thons (February 27, 28th, March 1rst and March 6th, 7th and 8th), and whoever wants to participate in which one, or in both, is free to do so and to post about it in this thread (because we all love reading about each other's progress, or not? I do anyway :P).

I know Frankie and Kylie would be okay with having two read-a-thons, seeing as that's what you posted :P, what about the rest of you? I can't really think of a "better" solution at the moment.

So far today I've read a BSC book, a De Waal & Baantjer book and I'm halfway through a Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket. I don't think I've been reading that long today or that I read that much, but I did have fun :). I'll tally up my statistics of today, tomorrow and post them, as there's still a bit of time before I can go to bed (due to medication) so I might do a little bit more reading, hopefully at least finish the Donald Duck book.

I changed my little "Reading Now?" thingy under my avatar to say "read a thon-ing" lol

Mine is always way behind or totally wrong. Like I'm not even sure what is down there right now. Its such a pain to go and change it every time I start a new book. And I kind of forget about it a lot. . .  :blush2:

Mine is always way behind or totally wrong. Like I'm not even sure what is down there right now. Its such a pain to go and change it every time I start a new book. And I kind of forget about it a lot. . .  :blush2:

lol I LOVE changing mine!