Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

I don't use mine, I would have to update it too often :blush2:.

Here's my progress from yesterday:

Friday 27-02-2015

1h 10 mins, 130 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 28: Welcome Back Stacey (re-read)

1h 50 mins, 176 pages, A. C. Baantjer and Simon de Waal - De Waal & Baantjer 10: Een Tien met een Griffel

1h 15 mins, 510 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 3 (re-read)

Total: 4h 15 mins, 816 pages

I spent more time reading than I thought I had, but it didn't really feel like it. I felt distracted and tired. I did enjoy the books I read and I hope to do some more reading today and tomorrow :).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My progress for yesterday:

Saturday 28-02-2015

1h 10 mins, ~113 pages, Susan Hatler - Better Date Than Never 9: Deja Date

1h, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 3 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 3)

Total: 2h 10 mins, 497 pages

Due to unforeseen circumstances (explained in other threads, which I will post in after I've made this post (link to post)), I wasn't able to do much reading at all. I managed to do about 45 mins in the morning, and then nothing until around 20:30 (or 8:30 PM). I had a pretty bad day yesterday.

I hope to do lots more reading today though :readingtwo:!! I've read a bit already (before I started the computer, because I woke up really early) :).

Edited by Athena

I am the reverse- I got an early start yesterday, but am getting a late one today.  Just now getting started at 11:00.

Edit:

Friday

Wolf Skin- Jason Gurley (50 pages)

Total= 50 pages

Saturday

The Caretaker- Jason Gurley (40 pages)

The Dark Age- Jason Gurley (30 pages)

The Man in the High Castle- Phillip K. Dick (37 pages)

Total= 107 pages

Sunday

The Man in the High Castle- Phillip K. Dick (82 pages)

Total= 82 pages

Whole read a thon= 239 pages  :blush2:

Once I'd made the decision to go and do Man in the High Castle, the read a thon for me was basically doomed.  I already have a full Word page review and I am only at 45% in the book  :giggle2: .

Edited by Anna Begins

Whole read a thon= 239 pages  :blush2:

Once I'd made the decision to go and do Man in the High Castle, the read a thon for me was basically doomed.  I already have a full Word page review and I am only at 45% in the book  :giggle2: .[/size]

You have a lot to say about it then! I look forward to read some of your thoughts when you've finished it :). I guess it's not really suited for a read-a-thon as it reads a bit slower. I hope you had fun though?

Here's my progress:

Sunday 01-03-2015

45 mins, 192 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Superhelden 2: De Invasie van de Megamonsters (L'invasione Dei Mostri Giganti)

50 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Het Jungleboek (Il Libro Della Giungla)

45 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Het Zwaard in de Steen (La Spada Nella Roccia)

55 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - De Geheime Tuin (Il Giardino Segreto)

45 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Heidi (Dutch)

35 mins, 130 pages, Oscar Tortuga - Oscar Tortuga 5: Er Valt Niets te Lachen, Stilton! (C'è Poco Da Ridere, Stilton)

20 mins, 128 pages, Thea Stilton - Het Leven op Topford 1: Liefde in de Schijnwerpers (L'Amore Va In Scena A Topford)

Total: 4h 55 mins, 1346 pages

Total this read-a-thon: 11h 20 mins, 2659 pages, 12 books read

In total on Sunday I read a lot, but I really thought I'd been reading for longer than ~5 hours. It felt like I read more than I did on Friday, which I did in pages but only slightly longer in time. Still, I had fun yesterday with my reading. It slowed down later in the day because I had a headache and my vertigo was acting up. My sister also visisted so I spent some time with her and her boyfriend, and with my parents, too. I had fun reading most of the Stilton books though :). I have more to read (from the library), I'll continue with them though I've got a lot of reviews to write first.

Overall in the read-a-thon I did well books-wise and pages-wise, but I didn't read as much as I'd hoped in terms of time. I was very distracted on Friday, and Saturday was a really bad day. Sunday I was still feeling the effects from Saturday. I did have fun though those times when I was more able to concentrate.

For whoever wants to, there'll be a read-a-thon next weekend, on the 6th, 7th and 8th of March (I might read a bit that weekend, I'll know more in a couple of days once my boyfriend is back). There will in principle also be one on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of April, which is Easter so I don't know how that suits people. I have no specific plans for Easter as of yet, myself. My grandfather's birthday is a few days after it, but the last time I visited my grandparents for his birthday, last year, it took me a couple of months to recover from it (I had almost forgot it but my mum said so yesterday) so I don't plan on going there when they celebrate it (I will give him a call though and see them another time when there are less people visiting).

For whoever wants to, there'll be a read-a-thon next weekend, on the 6th, 7th and 8th of March (I might read a bit that weekend, I'll know more in a couple of days once my boyfriend is back). There will in principle also be one on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of April, which is Easter so I don't know how that suits people. I have no specific plans for Easter as of yet, myself. My grandfather's birthday is a few days after it, but the last time I visited my grandparents for his birthday, last year, it took me a couple of months to recover from it (I had almost forgot it but my mum said so yesterday) so I don't plan on going there when they celebrate it (I will give him a call though and see them another time when there are less people visiting).

Well, it's the 6th of March now, so just out of curiosity, is anyone planning on doing some reading this weekend (and posting about it)?

I have to work on Saturday and Sunday night but I plan to spend a lot of today and Saturday reading. I have already managed 120 pages of Happiness is Easy by Edney Silvestre this morning.

Edited by Brian.

I think I might do some reading later today. This afternoon I'm going prom dress shopping  :o so that will certainly take up a lot of time. But later I hope to read some of The Rosie Project and maybe get into a Jodi Picoult book. 

As for the rest of the weekend, I'm not sure but I hope to do some more! 

:irked:  I'd thought I had the fifth MT book on loan but turns out I didn't! I had had the fourth and read it, and returned it. A few weeks ago. How I came to think I'd borrowed the fifth book already (which I'm only in line for at the library), I don't know :D 

Well, I went for a Mobile Library Mystery then: Mr. Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom. I read 64 pages of it in bed last night. 

Was only able to read for about an hour and a half yesterday evening ..

Friday: 51 pages of The Hourglass Factory by Lucy Ribchester

20 pages of If On a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino

20 pages of The Twins at St Clare's by Enid Blyton

Read a bit more this morning .. am now of page 135 of The Hourglass Factory and page 109 of The Twins at St Clare's. Also listened to a few chapters of the The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Wood whilst out on my walk. Hope to read more this afternoon/evening. :) 

:irked:  I'd thought I had the fifth MT book on loan but turns out I didn't! I had had the fourth and read it, and returned it. A few weeks ago. How I came to think I'd borrowed the fifth book already (which I'm only in line for at the library), I don't know :D

Well, I went for a Mobile Library Mystery then: Mr. Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom. I read 64 pages of it in bed last night. 

Oh .. disappointing about the fifth MT book :(Hope it turns up soon at the library for you. Glad you found something good to replace it with :D xx

Wow, great progress poppyshake! :smile2: 

Oh .. disappointing about the fifth MT book :(Hope it turns up soon at the library for you. Glad you found something good to replace it with :D xx

It was also a bit terrifying, when I couldn't find the copy. I thought I'd lost it!! Then I started wondering if I'd taken it back after thinking I wouldn't read it. I had to turn my computer on to check my library account and make sure that I had a copy. Turned out I didn't!  :doh:  Felt like a right idiot :D 

Have read 42 pages of Mr Dixon Disappears. I love the copy, it's so soft-spined and the paper's nice, the books so easy to handle and read. Have no idea where the book's going, though... Not as good as the first book in the Mobile Library series. Hoping for it to get better! 

I'm glad you both are having fun reading :).

I read Jacqueline Wilson - The Worst Thing About My Sister and Jacqueline Wilson - Little Darlings (I think it took me a couple of hours in total). I haven't yet started a next read. I'm not treating this as a full read-a-thon in my own participation but I'm doing some reading from time to time. I'm quite tired since I came back from the city earlier today so I hope I can rest a bit and then maybe read some more. Otherwise, maybe tomorrow.

I've read about 80 pages of The Rosie Project. I wish I could have read more, but it has been a busy weekend. Spent almost the whole day at my niece and nephew's birthday party, which was fun. But I'm hoping to read a lot tonight. It's great  :D

I read a bit yesterday in the later afternoon for about two and a half hours (and one and a half hour in the morning but that's in my previous post here), I read:

Thea Stilton - Het Leven op Topford 7: Op Naar De Top (La Strada Del Successo)

Thea Stilton - Het Leven op Topford 12: Het Spookhuis (Il Fantasma Di Castel Falco)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 1: De Drakencode (Il Codice Del Drago)

I've read about 80 pages of The Rosie Project. I wish I could have read more, but it has been a busy weekend. Spent almost the whole day at my niece and nephew's birthday party, which was fun. But I'm hoping to read a lot tonight. It's great  :D

I'm so glad you're enjoying the book! :exc: Happy times! :D 

I read 172 pages of Mr Dixon Disappears yesterday, I'm going to finish the book today. Not sure what to read next. 

Saturday: 113 pages of The Twins at St Clare's by Enid Blyton

53 pages of If On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

119 pages of The Hourglass Factory by Lucy Ribchester

Have only read a small amount so far today but managed to finish off The Twins at St Clare's (20 pages) and read 37 pages more of The Hourglass Factory. Should get some time later hopefully :)

Also heard more chapters from The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place: The Hidden Gallery by Maryrose Wood but I'm not counting that really as the narrator did all the reading :D 

Friday

Reasons to Stay Alive- Matt Haig (70 pages)

I, Zombie- Hugh Howey (70 pages)

Total= 140 pages

Saturday

Reasons to Stay Alive (60 pages)

Total= 60 pages

Sunday

Reasons to Stay Alive (30 pages)

I, Zombie (100 pages pages)

Total= 130 pages

Total for read a thon= 330 pages

Edited by Anna Begins

Friday: 113 pages of The Rosie Effect 64 pages of Mr. Dixon Disappears by Ian Sansom 

Saturday: 172 pages of Mr Dixon Disappears

Sunday: 17 pages of Mr Dixon Disappears + 40 Pages of My Fat, Mad Teenage Diary by Rae Earl 

Total: 406 pages. And one book started and finished, wohoo :smile2: 

It looks like you all had a good time reading, that's great :)! I was quite surprised so many people were doing a lot of reading this past weekend, I'm happy you all had fun :readingtwo:.

Here's my summary:

Read-a-thon March 2015

Friday 06-03-2015

1h 15 mins, 261 pages, Jacqueline Wilson - The Worst Thing About My Sister

1h 25 mins, 186 pages, Jacqueline Wilson - Little Darlings

Total: 2h 40 mins, 447 pages

Saturday 07-03-2015

1h 30 mins, 192 pages, Jacqueline Wilson - Little Darlings

20 mins, 128 pages, Thea Stilton - Het Leven op Topford 7: Op Naar De Top (La Strada Del Successo)

15 mins, 128 pages, Thea Stilton - Het Leven op Topford 12: Het Spookhuis (Il Fantasma Di Castel Falco)

35 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 1: De Drakencode (Il Codice Del Drago)

Total: 2h 40 mins, 672 pages

Sunday 08-03-2015

45 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 3: De Sprekende Berg (La Montagna Parlante)

45 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 6: Het Ijzingwekkende Geheim (Il Tesoro Di Ghiaccio)

50 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 7: Het Mysterie van de Zwarte Pop (Il Mistro Della Bamboola Nera)

40 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 11: Op Zoek naar de Blauwe Scarabee (Caccia Allo Scarabeo Blu)

45 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 12: Gekrakeel om een Schots Kasteel (Il Segreto Del Castello Scozzese)

1h 20 mins, 207 pages, Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 12: Hoe Overleef Ik (Zonder) Dromen?

Total: 5h 5 mins, 1327 pages

Total this read-a-thon: 10h 25 mins, 2446 pages, 11 books read

I didn't spent all my spare time reading but I enjoyed the reading that I did, and I read more than I thought I would, at the beginning. On Friday I only read for just over an hour in the afternoon and then just over an hour in the evening. On Saturday I read for an hour and a half in bed in the morning, finishing off Little Darlings (I was awake early) and I read for an hour in the late afternoon before it was time to cook dinner. On Sunday (yesterday) I did some more reading, in both the morning and the afternoon. I was quite tired though so I went to bed early. I still would've had some time to read but I didn't have any more energy, so I went to bed quite early. I also didn't read some of my usual read-a-thon reads (ie. BSC, Baantjer & De Waal, etc.), I just read some of my library loans that I had (though the Stilton books are very good for read-a-thons as they are short, fun, easy and easy-to-process reads). I had fun reading though :). Now I've got a lot of reviews to write..

The next read-a-thon will in principle take place on Fri-Sat-Sun the 3rd, 4th and 5th of April, which is the Easter weekend. I don't know if this is good timing for people or not. The 6th is Second Easter Day here, I don't know if that's a thing for people from other countries? It's an official day off here, next to First Easter Day on the Sunday. How would the timing of this weekend suit other people?

My grandfather might be celebrating his birthday that weekend, but last time I went to his birthday (last year), it took me three months to recover from it, so I'm most likely not going now (at least not when everyone else is, I might go another time when there are no other visitors other than my boyfriend and I). So I think that weekend would suit me fine (and it's tempting to also read a lot on the Monday as that's an official day off here). What about everyone else? I realise it might not be suitable for some of you to look so far ahead, that's fine too. We still have some time to discuss this, I just thought I'd ask it now and then whoever wants to, can answer and post when it suits them in their own time :).

I love reading.