Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering I don't go out much, it's surprising how often I'm unable to take part in these read-a-thons. :( I'm going away for four days this weekend, so I'll be missing the entire thing! But maybe I'll get some reading done while I'm away. Have fun everyone!

I think I will be taking part in this :) It's one of those special occasions as Friday is a bank holiday over here, so I'll be starting on Thursday already. :giggle2:

Woohoo, I wish you lots of fun :)

Considering I don't go out much, it's surprising how often I'm unable to take part in these read-a-thons. :( I'm going away for four days this weekend, so I'll be missing the entire thing! But maybe I'll get some reading done while I'm away. Have fun everyone!

Awww :(. I hope you have fun though :)! We could always try to schedule it some time when you are available (I don't know, like an extra Kylie read-a-thon..?)? 

Not sure if I'll actively take part in the read-a-thon this month, but will hopefully still find plenty of time for reading over the weekend. :)

I hope you have some fun reading :).

Here's what I plan to read (this will also be posted in my thread later, with a photo of the new books I got from the library):

Read-a-thon May 2015 Plan

(not necessarily read in this particular order)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysitters Club 32: Gertie en het Geheim van Sandra (Kristy and the secret of Susan) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 33: Claudia and the Great Search (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club Super Special 2: Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 35: De Cock en Danse Macabre

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 5 (re-read)

Jodi Picoult - The Color War

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 30: Vier Knagers in het Wilde Westen (Quattro Topi Nel Far West)

Joe Carrot - Joe Carrot 2: De Vuurpijl (La Freccia Di Fuoco)

Joe Carrot - Joe Carrot 3: De Ongrijpbare Rode Klauw (Il Mistero Di Artiglio Rosso)

Geronimo Stilton - Een Reis Door De Tijd 7: Op Naar De Prehistorie! (Dinosauri in Azione!)

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 1: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates

Rachel Renée Russel - Dork Diaries 7: Tales from a Not-So-Glam TV Star

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 4: Hoe Overleef Ik Mijn Eerste Zoen?

Francine Oomen - De Computerheks 1: De Computerheks (re-read)

Eric Clavie - Benno 1: Benno en de Griezelfabriek

Eric Clavie - Benno 2: Benno en het Drakengeld

Hilde E. Gerard and Eric Bouwens - Heinrich Ooooh 2: Heinrich Ooooh & De Vraatzuchtige Vampiers

Hilde E. Gerard and Eric Bouwens - Heinrich Ooooh 3: Heinrich Ooooh & De Zeurderige Zombies

These if I get around to them (so very possibly not this weekend):

Diane Wynne Jones - The Game

Natasha Farrant - The Diaries of Bluebell Gadsby 2: Flora in Love

Do van Ranst - Dit Is Dina! Omnibus 1-4: Zeven Zinnen en een Zoen, Een Pruik en Paarse Lippen, Hoge Hakken en een Hoed, Lieve Lachjes en een Leugen

Virginia Andrews - Stralende Sterren 2: Ice (re-read)

:o  :P I look forward to seeing how many you get through!

Thanks! I hope you have fun reading, too :).

I'm not sure if I'll participate, as it's my last weekend before I start work, but if I wind up with no other plans I might give it a bash :)

I hope you have a fun weekend either way :).

Happy reading, everyone :readingtwo:!

I'm tearing through The Cipher by Kathe Koja and loving it, but it's on my tablet Kindle so it won't give me page numbers. I was at 31% when I started, I can do some math later on the alleged page total on Amazon :roll:

Icky weather here so I think I probably will do at least a day or two of this readathon. Yay motivation!

Not as far in Lee Child's One Shot as I'd like to be, but I hope to finish today or tomorrow at the latest and then finish up with some shorter stories like Picoult's Color War.

I started yesterday, and read 146 pages of A Tap on the Window by Linwood Barclay.

Well done!

Not as far in Lee Child's One Shot as I'd like to be, but I hope to finish today or tomorrow at the latest and then finish up with some shorter stories like Picoult's Color War.

I hope you make some nice progress and that you enjoy the books / stories :).

Finished The Cipher and my mathmatically-deduced total pages read is 245. Not bad! If I even read one more full book over the next two days, I'll be happy. :)

Well done! Isn't it annoying how the Kindle usually won't give you page numbers? It annoys me too. I read 24% in a book yesterday, and then have to look up how many pages the total book has, to work out how many pages I've read.

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Friday 01-05-2015

1h, 123 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysitters Club 32: Gertie en het Geheim van Sandra (Kristy and the secret of Susan) (re-read)

1h, 131 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 33: Claudia and the Great Search (re-read)

30 mins, 24% = 55 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club Super Special 2: Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (re-read) (231 total)

Total: 2h 30 mins, 309 pages

Unfortunately I only read for two and a half hours, and I only read two short books and started a third (all re-reads). I spent a lot of time doing chores and with my family and partner. I did enjoy those things though. I also got distracted by the computer. So while I didn't have a great "reading" day, I hope to do a lot more reading today and tomorrow. I do have chores to do though, but hopefully I will be able to do a lot more reading, too.

The 24% or 55 pages took a bit longer than the other two books, page wise, because the images of post cards with writing on them, in the book, are quite small and I can't zoom in enough on the Kindle to easily read it. It's quite hard to make out what the writing says, sometimes. It is a bit more doable on my phone, so I lost some time by getting my phone out and trying to read the cards on my phone. I won't be doing that for every chapter though (every chapter starts with one) as that is quite annoying and time consuming. Does anyone know how to zoom in on a part of an image, on the Kindle Paperwhite, like I can do on my phone?

I'm not keeping track of my time, but generally my pace averages out to a page a minute or so, (allowing for distractions and breathers!) - so I'm guessing around 5 hours 15 minutes so far. I've upgraded my goal to: finish my current read and get started on a another one, before the weekend is out. :)

I'm not actively participating the read-a-thon, but I've had a pretty good couple of days reading anyway, and have read The Bloody Tower by Carola Dunn, Lady Lucy's Lover by M. C. Beaton and am about a quarter of the way through The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini.  All on Kindle, so no idea of pages read, and didn't keep any notes of times taken.

Finished The Cipher and my mathmatically-deduced total pages read is 245. Not bad! If I even read one more full book over the next two days, I'll be happy. :)

:o Wow, that's amazing!  I did 200 yesterday!

Total: 2h 30 mins, 309 pages

Does anyone know how to zoom in on a part of an image, on the Kindle Paperwhite, like I can do on my phone?

Good Job!  But no, I don't :(  I only was able to zoom in on the page itself.

I'm not actively participating the read-a-thon, but I've had a pretty good couple of days reading anyway, and have read The Bloody Tower by Carola Dunn, Lady Lucy's Lover by M. C. Beaton and am about a quarter of the way through The Quilter's Apprentice by Jennifer Chiaverini.  All on Kindle, so no idea of pages read, and didn't keep any notes of times taken.

That sounds like a read a thon to me!  Geez Louise!

I'm not keeping track of my time, but generally my pace averages out to a page a minute or so, (allowing for distractions and breathers!) - so I'm guessing around 5 hours 15 minutes so far. I've upgraded my goal to: finish my current read and get started on a another one, before the weekend is out. :)

That's an awesome goal, GL!  And it's good to have you join us :)

I got through 200 pages of Lee Child's One Shot yesterday and hope to start on Color War, a short story by Jodi Picoult.

I read 278 pages of A Tap on the Window yesterday, thus finishing the novel. Don't know what to read next yet.

Well done! I hope you find another nice book to read :).

Well done, I'm glad you're enjoying yourself :)

Wow, you've read quite a lot! I'm glad you're having fun reading :).

I got through 200 pages of Lee Child's One Shot yesterday and hope to start on Color War, a short story by Jodi Picoult.

Well done! I hope you enjoy The Color War, I plan to read it today.

Here is my progress:

Saturday 02-05-2015

1h 15 mins, 76% = 176 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club Super Special 2: Baby-Sitters' Summer Vacation (re-read)

1h 10 mins, 133 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 35: De Cock en Danse Macabre

1h 15 mins, 510 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 5 (re-read)

Total: 3h 40 mins, 819 pages

I read longer than on Friday, which is very good. However, I didn't read as long or as much as I would've liked. Unfortunately I was too tired by the end of the day to read more, or do much else for that matter, so while I had a bit of time left I just couldn't. I did spent a lot of time yesterday doing chores and I spent a long time cooking. I hope to read a lot today, but it's already 10:42 and I haven't read anything yet because I've been busy with chores (I'm doing more than usual). I have to phone my sister now as we agreed to this time to phone each other (EDIT: It would appear she's in the shower, so I've got a few more mins). I hope to do some reading this afternoon, though!

Edited by Athena

That sounds like a read a thon to me!  Geez Louise!

I guess I meant I wasn't noting any timings or pages read, or anything like that, and actually, it was just how the weekend is panning out, not intentionally setting time aside for reading. :)

I've just finished The Quilter's Apprentice and thought I'd catch up here before starting something else.

Finished The Cipher by Kathe Koja. Read all of An Unwelcome Quest by Scott Meyer. Started NPCs by Drew Hayes.

Total Page Count: 727

I'm really quite pleased with that for my first readathon! :lol:

Finished The Cipher by Kathe Koja. Read all of An Unwelcome Quest by Scott Meyer. Started NPCs by Drew Hayes.

Total Page Count: 727

I'm really quite pleased with that for my first readathon! :lol:

x

Wow, you have done really well, I'm so glad you had fun :D!

Yesterday, I also read The Chocolate Debutante by M. C. Beaton and I'm three quarters of the way through Obisidan Curse by Barbara Annino. :)

x

You've read a lot too, Claire :). I'm glad you had fun!

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Sunday 03-05-2015

25 mins, 34 pages, Jodi Picoult - The Color War

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 30: Vier Knagers in het Wilde Westen (Quattro Topi Nel Far West)

25 mins, 128 pages, Joe Carrot - Joe Carrot 2: De Vuurpijl (La Freccia Di Fuoco)

25 mins, 128 pages, Joe Carrot - Joe Carrot 3: De Ongrijpbare Rode Klauw (Il Mistero Di Artiglio Rosso)

15 mins, 48 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Een Reis Door De Tijd 7: Op Naar De Prehistorie! (Dinosauri in Azione!)

1h, 250 pages, Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 1: The Brilliant World of Tom Gates

1h 5 mins, 326 pages, Rachel Renée Russel - Dork Diaries 7: Tales from a Not-So-Glam TV Star

Total: 3h 55 mins, 1042 pages

Yesterday was the best day of the three, I read the most hours, but I really thought it'd be more than 4 hours. I did have a lot of fun reading these books though.

Total this read-a-thon: 10h 5 mins, 2170 pages, 12 books read

In total I did quite allright in this read-a-thon, personally I'd call it moderately successful as I feel I could've done better, in the sense that I didn't read all the books I wanted to read, and I didn't read that long either, particularly on Friday (at times I was also too tired to read more). Oh well, hopefully better next time. I did really enjoy the books I read, and I plan to read at least my library loans for the read-a-thon, that I haven't read yet, before they are due at the library. I have a lot of reviews to type and write though, of this read-a-thon and the books I read in the days leading up to it, so I might start on doing that today. It is a day off tomorrow, official holiday because of Liberation Day, but I think I might rather get the reviews done, as I have other plans for later in the week.

HOW do you read so fast?? :thud:

Well, a lot of those books are children's books with big font and illustrations :blush2:. If I were to read a complicated 16th century book in English with small font, that'd slow me right down to a crawl (but then again that's not what I enjoy reading). In the cases of (English) scientific articles or complicated textbooks I often need to read sentences several times to understand what is meant (well, when I studied. I don't read scientific articles anymore, and I also don't have access to some of them because I'm no longer a student).

I do read faster than the average person, though, when I was in school I was always the first to finish reading a chapter or article. By the time we'd stop and discuss it, I could've read it twice or sometimes three times. I need time to process what I've read, particularly with more complicated books, but the reading itself goes relatively quickly as long as the font isn't terribly small, and the text is in contemporary Dutch or contemporary English. I feel I can read paperbacks quicker than books on my Kindle or through the computer. I do need more time to process things than the average person, so my time spent reading is shorter but if the book is complicated then I do usually require some time doing 'not much' to think about the book (or in fact any input I've seen / heard recently). This is why I can't read epic books for too long in one 'sitting', and one of the reasons why I choose to read easier children's books for the read-a-thon (so I don't need to stop and process as much or as long).

Yesterday, I also read The Chocolate Debutante by M. C. Beaton and I'm three quarters of the way through Obisidan Curse by Barbara Annino. :)

Forgot to update at the end of Monday. I finished Obisidan Curse, read Summer at the Beach Street Café by Jenny Colgan and read about half of The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson.

• 4 weeks later...

It's the read-a-thon again this upcoming Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Who is joining me?

I've got some books of my own lined up, and in a few days I will go to the library and hopefully find some nice books.

Here are the books I own that I plan to get through at least:

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitters Club 34: Mary-Anne and Too Many Boys (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De BabySitters Club 35: Petra en het Spook van Steendam (Stacey and the Mystery of Stoneybrook) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitters Club Super Special 3: Baby-Sitters' Winter Vacation

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 48: De Cock en Tranen aan de Leie

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 6 (re-read)

Susan Hatler - Better Date Than Never 10: Date and Dash

I've got some more books of my own lined up, in case I don't find much at the library, but maybe I'll find some nice library reads too.

I'll be a bit busy on Friday but hopefully I can at least do some reading somewhere this weekend.

I had kind of a mini-read-a-thon day two days ago (on Sunday), somehow I ended up reading a lot of 'read-a-thon'-like books that day (library loans I have to hand in soon). We had family visiting and I was tired, so when I wasn't spending time with them, I read a book. I was getting pretty tired towards the end of the day though, from the input of all the books, but I was too tired to do anything more 'tiring' than reading.

Anyway.. I wish everyone fun who is joining on the read-a-thon. Because of the Sunday I just had, I'm not particularly in the mood yet, but hopefully that will come :).