Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooooh!  I might have to put Riding the Bullet on my long- short list!

I'll let you know what I think if / when I read it :).

I am out on Friday and working on Sunday but I should be able to join in this time. I don't have any books to read planned but I seem to be working through a lot of modern classics at the moment.

I might be able to join in with this one - at least for part of it. I'm off on Saturday and only working for a couple of hours on the Sunday. :)

Brian and Alexi, that's great to hear! I hope you both have a good time reading :readingtwo::).

I have half of a Nevil Shute book that I wasn't able to get to this week and then several on my list that look interesting. I also have Sunday off, so that should work well!

I hope you enjoy the book(s) you read :readingtwo:! I liked On the Beach by Nevil Shute. Happy to have you join us :)!

I plan to be in the Dec read-a-thon this coming weekend. I will be 'in training' tomorrow and Wednesday (as on both days we are having triple glazing fitted *groan*). So I will have time on my hand to do some serious reading then, and during the weekend too.

I plan to be in the Dec read-a-thon this coming weekend. I will be 'in training' tomorrow and Wednesday (as on both days we are having triple glazing fitted *groan*). So I will have time on my hand to do some serious reading then, and during the weekend too.

That's great to hear :)! Do you plan on reading a specific book, or will you see what you feel like when it's that time?

That's great to hear :)! Do you plan on reading a specific book, or will you see what you feel like when it's that time?

For the read-a-thon, I'll start chipping away at a couple in my TBR mound; either Margaret Atwood's Lady Oracle or Barbara Trapido's The Travelling Hornplayer (just picked up the first two at random). 

For the read-a-thon, I'll start chipping away at a couple in my TBR mound; either Margaret Atwood's Lady Oracle or Barbara Trapido's The Travelling Hornplayer (just picked up the first two at random).

I hope you enjoy them :)!

Are you an Atwood fan?  I've never heard of that one before, but her canon is so huge.

Are you an Atwood fan?  I've never heard of that one before, but her canon is so huge.

I loved some of her work about 10 years ago; especially Life Before Man and Cat's Eye were excellent. Then I didn't get on with The Handmaiden's Tale, and the The Blind Assassin was just... okay. I haven't any her work since then, but I've a handful of paperbacks, so I'm trying to get back to her writing again. As you say, her canon is HUGE!!

I loved some of her work about 10 years ago; especially Life Before Man and Cat's Eye were excellent. Then I didn't get on with The Handmaiden's Tale, and the The Blind Assassin was just... okay. I haven't any her work since then, but I've a handful of paperbacks, so I'm trying to get back to her writing again. As you say, her canon is HUGE!!

I did a little exploring this year into her work, I did The Handmaids Tale and wasn't impressed, as you.  Then, I kept hearing about Oryx and Crake and the MaddAddam trilogy, so I tried that.  I don't even know how to comment, really :P

Edited by Anna Begins

Happy read-a-thon, everyone! My goal for today is to finish An Old Captivity by Nevil Shute. Next, I'm starting on The Paper Magician.

I stopped by the library last night and got a huge stack of books. :D It was 15 minutes before closing, so there were a lot of random picks. I did grab a couple of Marcus Sakey books because I grabbed Brilliance and liked it, so I wanted to see how his other stuff was. I also grabbed a Gabrielle Zevin for the same reason. This one is one of her adult titles; she seems to do a fair amount of YA as well. There are three more that I had seen at Barnes and Noble just in case they actually are interesting. It was quite a mad dash, but needless to say, I am well-stocked!

Off out today but read The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman this morning. Not sure what to pick up next.

Great progress, I hope you enjoyed the book and that you can find a next read :).

Happy read-a-thon, everyone! My goal for today is to finish An Old Captivity by Nevil Shute. Next, I'm starting on The Paper Magician.

I stopped by the library last night and got a huge stack of books. :D It was 15 minutes before closing, so there were a lot of random picks. I did grab a couple of Marcus Sakey books because I grabbed Brilliance and liked it, so I wanted to see how his other stuff was. I also grabbed a Gabrielle Zevin for the same reason. This one is one of her adult titles; she seems to do a fair amount of YA as well. There are three more that I had seen at Barnes and Noble just in case they actually are interesting. It was quite a mad dash, but needless to say, I am well-stocked!

Exciting about the pile of books! I hope you enjoy the books you read :readingtwo:

Will be starting tomorrow as my school final is today!  Happy reading to you all!

I wish you lots of fun tomorrow!

I finished Becoming Chloe and read two short books, one a re-read from my childhood. I'm currently reading a fourth book, I'm almost half way through it (the books are all pretty short). I'll be posting a detailed update of the whole of today, tomorrow, when I know what I'll have read later today. So far I'm having a lot of fun!

Interesting.  I just finished an estimated 4 page short story from Hugh Howey called Promises of London.  He estimated it would take 10 minutes to read and it took me 9, so yes, this is THAT short and yes, it is a complete story.  I'm off to start a Lee Child/ Jack Reacher Kindle Single.

So I just finished the last half of An Old Captivity by Nevil Shute. (pages 174-333) It's the third one of his that I've read, and I'll definitely read more. This one was my least favorite of the three, although still very enjoyable. I think the fact that I read the first half a week ago and wasn't able to read the last half until today didn't help.

I also did a story time today and read aloud a stack of children's books. Not sure how that figures in, if at all, but there it is.

I'm getting ready to start The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg. i've read the sample chapters on Kindle and am interested to see how this goes.

I will start on Matt Haig's To Be a Cat today. I'm in the mood for children's fiction at the moment, so I might re-read Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince at some time during the weekend too.

Then, I kept hearing about Oryx and Crake and the MaddAddam trilogy, so I tried that.  I don't even know how to comment, really :P

For me, Attwood's writing style is not often easy and light work :giggle2: . As I started Lady Oracle yesterday, I'm straight away dumped in the plot and characters, without any hints of what is going on. Lots of lateral thinking needed  :smile:

In halfway through Undone By Cat Clarke. I picked it for a light, easy, young adult read.

Now I find out its about a boy who killed himself because he was bullied for being gay. Not so light and easy!!

It's excellent though.