What's up in January

Lilywhite

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, remarkable..how did you do it?

Such skill. :smile:

It wasn't skill at all haha, I have no idea! Sarah just told me if I tilted the can, it would stand like that, and it did. I think it was the weight of the coke in the can that held it's centre of gravity while I spun it, but the short answer is I have no idea. But I was very entertained by it that's for sure!

My work has a great way of dealing with the snow. If you can't work from home (I can't, I need to be there) then we have to get to work or we don't get paid regardless of the efforts made to get to work. It's just a matter of time before someone has a serious road accident trying to drive in the terrible conditions. Last year we had a few people sleeping in the office on the floor over night because they couldn't get home.

That's a shame. The company I work for is pretty good - if the weather is bad and people genuinely can't make it in, then you still get paid for the day.

We had a bit of snow down here, and it was mostly slush by the time I headed out. It was a bit hairy driving on the dual carriageway, but most of it was gone by midday.

My kindle just broke...I think I might cry :(
:( awwww that's a shame, I hope they will replace it! I presume you can redownload your books through your account?

This is what I did today at lunch time, my friend Sarah decided to film it. This is an accurate representation of my maturity level.

XD this is great!

:cows:

Hi peeps it's been a while since I have been on here! Been meaning to pop in but just never got round to it. The last few months have been very up and down, my working at the higher grade has ended which has impacted our finances greatly but we are getting by just had to tighten our belts a bit more! To add to the stresses I also have to do more work on the helpline phones which now include spending one full week in 5 on the damned things, originally we were told it would be one week in twelve but they lied! My reading has suffered even more but touch wood things are looking up I have managed to read 2 whole books since the New Year! :readingtwo:

Well i'll go for a mooch around the boards and see what I've missed, speak soon :bye2:

Kylie - we're supposed to get your heatwave over here this week. Hopefully not as hot as you've had it.

It snowed here winter 2011, first time since 1920something. Was pretty cool. The kids loved it. Now everytime it gets slightly cold in winter my daughter wants it to snow again. Probably won't in her lifetime though.

This is what I did today at lunch time, my friend Sarah decided to film it. This is an accurate representation of my maturity level.

That was cool! :cool:

(Though I couldn't hear you - my speakers have died on me)

That was cool! :cool:

(Though I couldn't hear you - my speakers have died on me)

Haha I wasn't saying anything of interest anyway! :giggle:

It's a Sunday morning and I'm awake since 9:30! I only got to sleep at 4:30! Very grateful I have tomorrow off, and another shot at a long night's sleep and lie in tomorrow morning!

We got off very lightly with the snow on Friday - didn't stop me getting very stressed at work, thinking I was going to get stuck there! lol We're getting our snow now, it's still fairly light, but is meant to get heavier. Then we'll have to see how it is in the morning, whether the schools are open, and whether I can drive in it. I'm like others here, my boss will not pay me if I can't make it in. Still, it's not worth having an accident.

Snowing again here and it looks as though it will be until about midnight. It isn't that heavy but with the roads being quieter due to it being a Sunday I can see there being a bit of an issue on some of the roads. I'm working tonight but I think I'm going to get the train into work rather than drive to be on the safe side. Hopefully that will be the last of the snow we get until next winter.

Just popped out to the shop and the slush that was on the pavements yesterday is now ice, and even the puddles have frozen over. There was a little bit of snow coming down, but I don't see it coming to much (fingers crossed).

The embers in the wood burner were still going this morning, so we've decided to keep that one going through the day, which was lovely to come back to after my walk in the cold!

Has been snowing fairly heavily here since about 8.30 this morning, settling nicely on all the frozen snow from Friday. :doh: Should be fun come tomorrow morning.

We are spending the day indoors reading and telly watching and won't fret about what will happen this week with regards to getting about until we have to.

Has been snowing fairly heavily here since about 8.30 this morning, settling nicely on all the frozen snow from Friday. :doh: Should be fun come tomorrow morning.

We are spending the day indoors reading and telly watching and won't fret about what will happen this week with regards to getting about until we have to.

How much snow did you get? It is nice to stay in by a good fire in the fireplace and read a book on snowy days. We have a neighbor that has two young girls, about ages 8 and ten, and they were out playing in the snow "all" day, from early morning until supper time. It was great seeing kids outside playing in the snow as many kids nowadays sit in watching TV all day.

I spent all last week in the home office in Charlotte. The work that was scheduled for me wasn't ready and they wanted me to extend my employment until I could complete it. Instead, I cut short my schedule and now will retire at the end of this week instead of next week. They asked me if I would consider working part time on a part time "call basis", they would call when they needed me. LOL, I told them I would consider it. I have considered it and my answer will be ....no. btw, when in Charlotte a group took me out to dinner and at dinner a person that works for an Electric Utility Company asked me if I would consider going to work for them. I gave him my personal email address and my telephone number. Guess it doesn't hurt to listen to them. :)

It's been settling gradually here, and at it's thickest layer is about 4 inches deep. The vilage looks like Narnia in parts. We have been listening to our neighbours children playing out all day - snow brings out a certain delight in children. :smile:

Very settled here, a good 3 or 4 inches in places, my elder two have been out for a few hours now, nice casserole simmering in the slow cooker for later! Sadly my youngest is still full of cold so we wrapped up to build a snowman but then straight back in for hot chocolate and to watch the football! :)

It's been coming down here for most of the day too - not heavy but enough to cause problems tomorrow morning. I expect the skiiers and tobaganners were up at the viewpoint earlier as usual, I lacked both the the energy or the inclination to go and find out.

I moved the car to my neighbours drive yesterday (their car is in the garage) so that's its facing forwards and I can drive straight out, but we live at the end of a large car park, which is at the top of a sleep slope, and whole village is at the top of an even steeper one, with roads that are not gritted, so getting to work tomorrow on my first day might be interesting. At least it will be at 8am rather than 6.45 though !

Edited by Talisman

I used to live at a place that had snow every winter, my brother and I would always run out (usually in our pj's in the morning) when the first snow came, my mum would be chasing after us with jackets, mittens and beanies! :lol:

Oh and my brother and I used to always make a snow ball and put it at the bottom of my parents bed, always when my dad was in it! :giggle2:

Lovely memories Devi :friends3:

... my mum would be chasing after us with jackets, mittens...

That's pretty much my life now.

This little girl refuses to wear anything warm!