What's up in January

Lilywhite

Happy New Year to you all!

Hope you've had a fabulous New Year and welcomed it in in style. Not being a big one for going out, I stayed in with friends and we chatted, laughed and sang our way into 2013 (with the help of some wine!).

Biggest decision for me today... New Year, New Book. Where do I start? I will have to take my time and consider all options thoroughly before I make my final choice.

So, what are your plans for the New Year?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to keep a book journal last year so I did a tally last night and it turns out that I read 66 books last year! I also read two short stories (Sherlock Holmes) and 8 volumes of the Walking Dead Graphic Novels. I was pleased with this result but hope to make it 100 books in 2013!

I have just been to see the first instalment of the Hobbit so think I will start 2013 reading this book! I read it about 10 years ago but feel ready for a re-read!

January is my least favourite month (359ish days til Christmas!) and I dislike most of Spring and Summer, so I'm always a bit bleh at the start of the new year. I'm a Winter baby and am always sad to leave the last few months of the year behind.

However! 2013 is the first year in a very long time I'm partially looking forward to - I have two very awesome things lined up (amidst the unfortunate stress of having to find another job in March when my current contract ends) - seeing the Vlog brothers (some of you may know one half as the author John Green) in Dublin in February - John is touring with The Fault In Our Stars and I'm going up for it! So that will be exciting. Then, in May, I'm going to London to see Andrew McMahon, the one person on the planet I consider an inspiration (to me personally). This latter event is so monumentous for me that I already feel a little sad at the knowledge that, on May 24th, 2013, I will have seen him, it will be done, and I will no longer have it to look forward to. So I'm going to enjoy every moment of the five month lead up.

I haven't any plans beyond that (normally I don't plan more than a week ahead, so five months is a lot for me!) But I'm sure other little things will work themselves out as I go along.

As for reading, this year I'm going to be tackling a bunch of YA fantasy series, among other things. I've started with The Secrets Of The Immortal Nicholas Flammel, and I've just finished the first book. Thoroughly enjoying it!

It was my birthday yesterday and my kids gave me the best gift by choosing to spend the day with me. Their dad (who I'm not with) said they could go to his house anytime from Mon-Wed, both decided to go Wed so they could be with me. Not something I'd expect from teens, especially DS who I know was looking forward to computer games (doesn't get to do that here). We had a quiet day, but a good one.

In other news, my study this semester isn't going very well. I'm really struggling with understanding/liking the paper I'm doing, so it's very slow going. I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into it a bit more now the holidays are over.

Happy Birthday for yesterday bookmonkey! :smile: How nice that your teens wanted to be with you - then can surprise from time to time can't they?

Well it's back to work today. My car is frozen, so I am waiting for daylight before I head off to the supermarket to restock our empty fridge. I can't face scrapping the ice off in the dark, and as I can wait, I may as well! I'm just glad that I only have a few days work before it's the weekend again - this break over Christmas has made me enjoy the slow life. :D

I for one am really looking forward to this year and feel really optimistic about the whole thing, despite starting the year with a stinking cold. That is good too though, as a cold means that the body is clearing out all the old rubbish, and the more I can get rid of, the better off I will be. Talking of clearing, there seems to be a real feeling of change in the air, with everything that has previously been hidden being debated about in a very open way. It is also 2 weeks today that I finally get to leave my job behind and start what I am sure will be a much better and happier one. It's going to be exciting year !

We spent the holiday quietly, mostly at home. Went out for pizza as a last hurrah before no carbs dieting. :D

We have a few small trips planned in the next couple of months and are finalizing plans there.

Retirement with the right spouse is certainly the best of the best! :cool:

Happy new year, everyone! :)

I've finished my first book of the year (Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins) and am working on a bunch of other challenges which will take me through the year. You can see my full list of 52 things in 52 weeks HERE. Looking forward to next week when we go back to school, as I'll be going back to volunteering with my primary 1 class at Xan's school - I had to take time off due to illness and I've really missed it!

Happy new year, everyone! :)

I've finished my first book of the year (Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins) and am working on a bunch of other challenges which will take me through the year. You can see my full list of 52 things in 52 weeks HERE. Looking forward to next week when we go back to school, as I'll be going back to volunteering with my primary 1 class at Xan's school - I had to take time off due to illness and I've really missed it!

I love your 52 weeks challenge and wish you luck, most of them look like nice things to do which I think is a lovely way to plan your year, have fun! :)

I hope the next two weeks go quick for you Talisman.

Thank you - they have so far - I am counting down the days. I am still not sure how I am going to tell the residents though - that is the only hard bit. If I had the opportunity though, I know exactly what I would like to say to the Director ...

Edited by Talisman

I love your 52 weeks challenge and wish you luck, most of them look like nice things to do which I think is a lovely way to plan your year, have fun! :)

I purposely made it a mix of things I'll really have to work at and things I'll find a lot of fun. Gotta give myself a fighting chance at completing the list! ;)

Happy 2013, everyone! I for one am expecting it to be much better than 2012 and am looking forward to it!

One of my many goals this year is to spend more time in the company of an open book, and to update here at BCF on how I'm progressing.

I'm also determined to continue my family's genealogical research, and to stay on my path of healthy eating. Although as far as the latter goes, I'm giving myself special dispensation to eat freely on my birthday and another handful of holidays ;):lol:

I'm hoping to travel to Toronto with my mom in September for the annual family reunion, and also spending a couple weeks up at the cabin this summer. I'd really like to throw in a couple short road trips to neighboring states as part of my ancestry project too.

Oh! And of course I hope to be seeing plenty of good bands. I've got tickets to see the indie band Ra Ra Riot in March as well as tickets for Muse that month.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week, good luck on your new job, Talisman, and cheers for a fab 2013! :D

Thank you - they have so far - I am counting down the days. I am still not sure how I am going to tell the residents though - that is the only hard bit. If I had the opportunity though, I know exactly what I would like to say to the Director ...

I wish you luck in your new job. However, I would be careful and not burn bridges as there is nothing to gain.

I hope her visit is worth the long flight, Muggles! I don't mind flying (as in, I'm not scared of flying), but by gosh I hate sitting on a plane for so many loooong hours.

I hope her visit is worth the long flight, Muggles! I don't mind flying (as in, I'm not scared of flying), but by gosh I hate sitting on a plane for so many loooong hours.

Same here, I find flying, especially long haul to be extremely tedious. 11.5 hours to Vegas is the longest flight I have done so far and it almost destroyed my will to live. I would happily pay extra to be sedated for the entire flight.

She called us before her flight and said she was really "psyched" about the trip. She will only be there for about 3 weeks and will then return to her studies at NYU in New York City. She is used to travelling and even though it will be her longest flight she knows what to expect. She has flown to Europe 3 times, once to Morroco, and once to Ghana.

Happy New Year everyone! We have had an extended holiday here in Spain and today is King's Day, which is like Spanish Christmas. So I have been stuffing my face with Roscon de Reyes (King's Cake) and have been drinking Cava! Everything goes back to normal tomorrow, so I'll have to start thinking about going on that diet I have been meaning to start :doh:

Edited by karen.d

We're getting a new car! :)

Our deal will be up in April, so we were invited to come along to the dealership to look at the cars, and we've signed up for a new one. Should be here in a few weeks - hurrah! Brand spanking new Seat Ibiza.

I got my absolutely gorgeous Kobo cover today! I LOVE it, it only cost a tenner including shipping so I wasn't expecting anything particularly amazing but it's brilliant, it's pretty, and thick so when if I drop my kobo it should survive, and above all IT FITS! Absolutely thrilled.

Same here, I find flying, especially long haul to be extremely tedious. 11.5 hours to Vegas is the longest flight I have done so far and it almost destroyed my will to live. I would happily pay extra to be sedated for the entire flight.

When I flew to England, I remember thinking I was *never* going to do a long flight again (I'm over it now, though). It was even worse because I got motion sickness before we were even halfway there. Argh. :( Next time I will take sleeping pills and hopefully sleep through the whole flight.

I got my absolutely gorgeous Kobo cover today! I LOVE it, it only cost a tenner including shipping so I wasn't expecting anything particularly amazing but it's brilliant, it's pretty, and thick so when if I drop my kobo it should survive, and above all IT FITS! Absolutely thrilled.

Have you posted a pic of this elsewhere? If not, can you please post a pic or a link to a pic. I wanna see the pretty Kobo cover (please)!