What's up in January

Lilywhite

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Send your snow to me! I want snow!

I've been having one of those weeks where getting out of bed in the morning is very, very difficult. Can't wait for the weekend!

I would gladly send it your way if I could. I always struggle to get out of bed whenever I'm not at work. I had good intentions to get up at 6:30 this morning and finally manged about 8:00. My bed is just far too comfortable.

Send your snow to me! I want snow!

You can have all the snow that is reported to be coming my way - pretty as it is, I hate the stuff, especially given that I start my new job on Monday. At least my cold seems to be getting better though. When Coran and I went into the old job yesterday to say goodbye to all of them, the boss wouldn't even look at me. He just went into a meeting (with the usual face like a bus) and shut the door. That just about sums the place up, or rather, what it has become.

My work has a great way of dealing with the snow. If you can't work from home (I can't, I need to be there) then we have to get to work or we don't get paid regardless of the efforts made to get to work. It's just a matter of time before someone has a serious road accident trying to drive in the terrible conditions. Last year we had a few people sleeping in the office on the floor over night because they couldn't get home.

I understand that the company doesn't want people to take the mickey by not even bothering to come in when it snows but a bit of leeway would be appreciated by people.

Most companies are like that these days Brian - my former (and soon to be current) employers are exactly the same - there is no sick pay either. Basically if you don't work then you don't get paid. I have lost a fortune this past week through being sick and unable to work. It seems to be the way it is these days. As for me working from home - cleaning rooms by remote control from 10 miles away might be a bit difficult. :smile:

Edited by Talisman

Not long got home from a very long day at work, and can barely keep my eyes open now! Worried about snow forecast overnight and into tomorrow, as I hate driving in the snow, let alone in the dark and in the snow to try and get into work in the morning, and then it's due to continue snowing heavily all morning so I'll have to face driving through even thicker snow to get home. Urgh. :(

Here you are Kylie :snowflake::snowmanandsmilie::coolsnow::snowflake:

We heard you broke records in Sydney today :( But i think they said you were going to get 25C tomorrow . You'll be putting on your thermals, it will be such a shock! :cold:

How is your fire situation now? One of my friends in Victoria has had to evacuate I think.

Edited by poppy

It's snowing!! We don't usually get much snow in Bournemouth, seems to go round us! Today i had to text my boss to say i couldn't get to work! Usually i would have tried, but the past week i have been staying at my partner's parents, who live out in the sticks in Hampshire. It's an hour away from work in dry weather so there was no way i could have gone in!

Having a day of hot chocolate, hot water bottle and reading! :)

Here you are Kylie :snowflake::snowmanandsmilie::coolsnow::snowflake:

We heard you broke records in Sydney today :( But i think they said you were going to get 25C tomorrow . You'll be putting on your thermals, it will be such a shock! :cold:

How is your fire situation now? One of my friends in Victoria has had to evacuate I think.

Aw, thanks Poppy. I'm trying to think cold thoughts. A southerly started blowing here a little while ago (it's a lifesaving wind that generally sees the temps drop about 15 degrees in a short space of time). I got so excited that I did a jig and ran around the house opening all the windows, but it already seems to have disappeared. :( The temp seems to have dropped a lot, but the wind wasn't enough to cool the inside of my house. I am quite over summer now. :angry:

There are still a lot of fires around the place. Someone in Victoria died today, and some homes have been lost. :( There is a grass fire near my place that keeps flaring up, but I'm in no danger.

It's been snowing here for a couple of hours now, and everything is looking pretty covered. We went out first thing and got a few bits before the snow started, and are now hunkering down for the weekend. Glad I'm not working today, I can just stay in with a good book! :smile:

Stay warm everyone who needs to, and stay cool eveyone who needs that! :smile:

Plenty of white stuff here as well, only me and two others in the office (the benefits of living within walking distance . . .).

No word of a lie, with roads heading towards impassable, I saw a teenage girl having a driving lesson on the way in!

It's coming down thick and fast here now - we have a food few inches in our garden already. Although it looks pretty, I hope it goes by Monday, as I don't want to miss my first day in the new job. Good job Coran and I went food shopping yesterday though.