What's up in January

Lilywhite

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy Anniversary, Chesil! Well done, you :D

I'm glad you guys are feeling better, Sofia. Here in MN we've had the most deaths as a result of the H3N2 strain of the flu - 27, with most of the victims being elderly :( The popular flu shot they administer doesn't cover this strain, however, so I've been reluctant to get one. I've never had one in fact. I just try to be really diligent about washing my hands and taking my daily vitamins.

This can be the problem with flu - there are quite a few different strains circulating, and the flu vaccine is made to protect against the 3 strongest. Every now and again, a different strain becomes more prominent. Also, it's the elderly who die most, usually because of complications, and yet they're also a group who don't respond well to the vaccine (they usually have about a 60% response).

Glad you're keeping safe Kylie. The hottest I have ever experienced was in Egypt when it reached 116 degrees. That was hot ! How I didn't get sunstroke I have never known ...

I have though just completed my final 7 day stretch at work, and now have just 3 more days to go. I then have 4 days off before I start my new job on 21st. I will be glad in many ways to finish there, as it has become a toxic environment, but will miss most of the residents. Several of them are poorly at the moment, so may not be around for much longer anyway, hard as that sounds. Anyway, I am sure there are lots of lovely residents too in the new place.

We had 40 odd degrees at Pompeii this year and it was stifling, fortunately there were fountains every 100 yards otherwise I don't thing we would have coped! Looking like it'll be close to freezing here for the next week or so. :(

Busy weekend planned here, a two hour round trip for my younger son's football in the morning and a nice cold hour on the side lines! Then it's a badminton competition for my daughter in the afternoon, then on Sunday it's badminton training for all three in the morning and another competition in the afternoon for my eldest son, at least badminton is played indoors! :D

Thank you kindly, one and all. You all make this the best, friendliest, caring and joyful forum to be a member of.

Virtual champagne for everyone! :wine: (and cookies for any teetotallers and youngsters: :JC_cookies: )

Congratulations chelisbeach! May I have some champagne?:)

I can't believe it's the fourth anniversary of my joining BCF today! :doowapstart: Happy anniversary to me! :D

Happy BFC Anniversary!! :D

I will have been a member here for a year from the 28th of January.

Chilly up here in the North....actually I am the furthest north of the members (and Kell obviously), feels like it sometimes. I have achey neck, shoulders, arms. It is either my swimming or trying to keep warm by being hunched up at the footie today.!

Edited by Inver

Have been a bit annoyed today. My new bag (which I only got last week) broke on me today, the strap just snapped off as I was walking along the road. It cost my boyfriend over £60 too, which just makes it worse!

Apart from that have had a pretty good weekend. Went to the cinema to see Jack Reacher on Friday night, was a absurd, but quite funny, and enjoyable if you just went with it. Last night went out with some of the boyfriend's friends from work. I was the only woman which felt a bit awkward at first, but had fun.

Well, I imagine Cruise is pretty amusing as Reacher. :ontome: In a way I'd like to see the film, but I can't stand Cruise, so am skipping it. drat. :)

It's done nothing but RAIN here for about a week. We had to postpone a trip to Houston on account of the terrible driving conditions. Fortunately, we were able to do so.

Well, I imagine Cruise is pretty amusing as Reacher. :ontome: In a way I'd like to see the film, but I can't stand Cruise, so am skipping it. drat. :)

It's done nothing but RAIN here for about a week. We had to postpone a trip to Houston on account of the terrible driving conditions. Fortunately, we were able to do so.

LOL, it would be a cold day in Hades before I watched a Cruise film.

I will say the trailer we saw at the movie theatre was pretty funny. I heard many snorts when Cruise pretended to be macho.

Lol I am far from a Cruise fan myself (Knight and Day was just dire) but my friend said she wanted to see Jack Reacher and I didn't even know what it was. Maybe that's the best way to see a film, no expectations!

Couldn't agree more you two :D

Having just got rid of the cold I had all over Christmas and New Year, I have another one, which is even worse than the first one. Against my better judgment and knowing that I only have three days left to work there, I went to work today, but only managed an hour before I had to come home again. One moment I am hot, the next cold, and I have a horrible cough that once I start just can't stop. My right eye won't stop watering either. I doubt if I will be in tomorrow, as its meant to be my kitchen day (not a good idea to be coughing and spluttering around food), but I hope I will make it in on Wednesday, my last day so I can say a proper goodbye to everyone. Right now though, the only thing I want to do is curl up on the settee with a hot water bottle.

Edited by Talisman

It's been snowing today. Big fat wet flakes that are lying in the form of very slushy wet snow. Xan has a bit of a cold and was up half of last night, so we kept him off school today, but as Dale is on annual leave this week, he stayed home with Xan while I went in to work with the P1 class. On the way to school, I tripped and landed with my bum in a puddle, so I spent the morning with my skirt soaked any my butt freezing! Off t the dentist this afternoon for a check-up.

Spent literally all morning at the hospital waiting for my appointment which was meant to be at 9 (didn't get seen until almost 12). Then only saw the doctor for about 5 minutes.

Woke up to snow this morning but it's mainly gone now, probably a good thing as I have a driving lesson this afternoon, so much for a day off!

Have been a bit annoyed today. My new bag (which I only got last week) broke on me today, the strap just snapped off as I was walking along the road. It cost my boyfriend over £60 too, which just makes it worse!

Awww that sucks :(.

Having just got rid of the cold I had all over Christmas and New Year, I have another one, which is even worse than the first one. Against my better judgment and knowing that I only have three days left to work there, I went to work today, but only managed an hour before I had to come home again. One moment I am hot, the next cold, and I have a horrible cough that once I start just can't stop. My right eye won't stop watering either. I doubt if I will be in tomorrow, as its meant to be my kitchen day (not a good idea to be coughing and spluttering around food), but I hope I will make it in on Wednesday, my last day so I can say a proper goodbye to everyone. Right now though, the only thing I want to do is curl up on the settee with a hot water bottle.

I hope you feel better soon! I've just been ill for 2 weeks so I can understand a bit how you feel. :hug:

It's been snowing today.

It's snowed here today too, it's nice when you don't have to go outside, when you do have to go outside, it's not nice at all.

Spent literally all morning at the hospital waiting for my appointment which was meant to be at 9 (didn't get seen until almost 12). Then only saw the doctor for about 5 minutes.

Bah that's stupid :(.

Heck, I'd prefer snow to the drizzle, rainy, gray, nastiness we've had the last week or so. Not likely down here, but it has happened, very occasionally. Very occasionally. lol

Found a couple of bargains at a local dress shop today, then we stopped for ham and cheese poboys from a place called Heavenly Ham...it really is heavenly. yum

I hope you feel better soon! I've just been ill for 2 weeks so I can understand a bit how you feel. :hug:

I am feeling a bit better and seem to be over the worst of it, but Coran has got it now as well, poor thing. Even though today is my last day in my current job, I thought it better not to go in, as I would only spread the germs to all the residents and to be honest, I can't really face it. I feel so much better in myself for having had a few days off, that I don't feel I do want to to back there now, at least not to work. If I am feeling up to it though, I ought to try and go in for half an hour later on though to say proper goodbyes and clear out my locker. It is sad in some ways that I wasn't able to work my last few days there, but if the job hadn't been so tiring and stressful then I wouldn't have got this bug in the first place, as your immune system has to be pretty low to get 2 colds in such quick succession, so all it really does is confirm that I have done the right thing. I guess then from now on they will have to learn to manage without me.

Edited by Talisman

Hello everyone, long time no see (type?) :)

I haven't posted in a while but I did pop by occasionally to see what's up and to get ideas on what to read.

Tons of work for uni and I haven't done much as I am very...I don't know, in that place where you just can't seem to get yourself to do anything. Not even have fun.That's why I haven't been on here as well. But it's gotta stop sometime, right? I just need the ol' kick in the rear :D

I hope everyone who is ill is getting better and hope you all had fun over the holidays! :) See you around.