Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

Yikes, maybe I should not say anything about not having read either of those yet, eventhough they've been biding their time on my bookshelves for a while now... :blush: Must be good stuff, though, from what I've heard about the titles! :giggle2:

It is utterly brilliant. I think I can safely say it's my favourite read so far this year, and would definitely be in my top 10 :cool: I really really want to continue reading it, but I don't want it to end!

OMG this sounds completely up my alley, Charm!! I've had my eye on Discovery of Witches but haven't bought it yet. I can't wait to hear what you think!! :D

I love it! I was going to wait until I'd finished it and then come and recommend it to you, I think you'd like it peace, I think you'd really like it. The male lead is now my new lust object, he is lush! :blush:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Pandemonium - Christopher Brookmyer this morning (its a re-read) but!!!! as I had a visit to the dentists this afternoon I had a little time before the appt so I went into the bookshop and bought the new Fred Vargas - An Uncertain Place ( it was cheap as I used all my points)

I love it! I was going to wait until I'd finished it and then come and recommend it to you, I think you'd like it peace, I think you'd really like it. The male lead is now my new lust object, he is lush! :blush:

Oooooh a new leading man to ogle, huh? Count me in! ;) If you love it, Charm, that's recommendation enough for me! Now I can't wait to get it!

Hmmm...lush male lead... Great, now I forgot what I was going to post! :lol:

I know! When I was up at an ungodly hour this morning I read about 50 pages of 'the book that shall not be named.' Awww, it brings back good memories of the first time I read it...

I've just finished Patricia Briggs > Moon Called and loved it. Will continue reading the series

I have had this on my TBR pile for well over a year. I keep meaning to pick it up.

OMG this sounds completely up my alley, Charm!! I've had my eye on Discovery of Witches but haven't bought it yet. I can't wait to hear what you think!! :D

Yes I'm Interested too.....

It is utterly brilliant. I think I can safely say it's my favourite read so far this year, and would definitely be in my top 10 :cool: I really really want to continue reading it, but I don't want it to end!

I'M SOLD!!!!! I still have The Historian to read on my TBR pile!

Oooooh a new leading man to ogle, huh? Count me in! ;) If you love it, Charm, that's recommendation enough for me! Now I can't wait to get it!

I know! When I was up at an ungodly hour this morning I read about 50 pages of 'the book that shall not be named.' Awww, it brings back good memories of the first time I read it...

*HIgh five PF* Charm knows to sell a book she just has to say. Hot... Leading..Man...Ogle and we're there!!

As for me. Mojo has gone for a cuppa. I love The passage. But because it is sooo bloody big. I can only read it when I have a coffee. which isn't very often.

So I have decided to put it down for a bit an read something else until I have sometime to have a big read of it because I really am loving it. This book has made me relise I need a Kindle!

So after realising I haven't read books that I have been loaned on here. I need to get through them. So I am about to read. The Tree of Seasons by Stephen GAtely.

I also have a library book that needs to go back for Monday called: The Devil's Plague. All about Zombies!! Whoop. My favourite genre. Hopefully I can get some reading done this weekend. I know my mojo isn't far away. I just need a light, enjoyable book.

Guy Gavriel Kay is a great author. I have read The Lions of Al-Rassan, Tigana, and The Last Light of the Sun and have more of his to be read.

He hasn't disappointed me so far.

Yay, someone else who has read his work! Come and help me out in my thread pleeeeeease :lol::D

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8303-guy-gavriel-kay/page__pid__253720#entry253720

I've got about 60 pages of The Lions of Al-Rassan left to read - I don't want it to end :(

We discussed it at the time :wink:

I made a few suggestions to you in another thread for decent fantasy novels - you obviously ignored me :rolleyes::D

Yes I'm Interested too.....

I'M SOLD!!!!! I still have The Historian to read on my TBR pile!

*HIgh five PF* Charm knows to sell a book she just has to say. Hot... Leading..Man...Ogle and we're there!!

Good grief, it doesn't take much to interest you two does it? :huh: A lushious lead, a story steeped in history, witches & magic and you're both sold??? .....actually, sounds bloody brilliant, I'm not surprised!! :haha:

I've just literally finished it. Thanks to Michelle I learned it was the first of a trilogy so, naturally I went on to the Deborah Harkness website to find out what the next two were so I could order them straight away, and discovered the second one isn't even out until 2012! :o I don't even know what it's called!! :hissyfit:

Can't even think what to read next ... *sniff* :(

I am still reading Katie Fforde 'Summer of Love', this is a lovely romantic read. With one of the characters, she tries internet dating, I have never done it myself, but I could imagine it would be true to form to the 2 men she did meet.

Finished A Wild Sheep Chase- Haruki Marukami yesterday and am now racing through I am Number Four- Pittacus Lore.

I read I am Number Four then went and saw the movie and I actually thought the movie was better than the book.

Finding it a struggle to stick with I Think I Love You for more than a couple of chapters at a time. Doesn't help that I'm distracted by the fact that I know City of Fallen Angels is out and I really want to read it, but am trying to save it as a treat for the Easter bank holiday weekend :rolleyes:

We discussed it at the time :wink:

It was just quicker than re-typing my views again!

I made a few suggestions to you in another thread for decent fantasy novels - you obviously ignored me :rolleyes::D

Didn't you recommend Miéville? I'm sure someone on here did!

I'm almost done reading 'Naming Infinity' by Loren Graham and Jean-Michel Kantor, a wonderful read, the personal stories behind the mathematicians are touching and surprising. Maths was never so interesting before. The people this book discusses had a different way of solving maths puzzles, they used their religious ideas (Name Worshipping) and that inspired them to amazing results which are still being talked about and used today. You don't have to be a maths wiz to read this book, if you like history and amazing stories about people, this is your book too. :)

One of the greatest Dutch writers, Lodewijk van Deyssel, K. A. Thijm, wrote some of the most beautiful proze I have ever read. His book 'Uit het leven van Frank Rozelaar' is available online, I tried to order it through my library, but it was out of print and they couldn't find me a copy (! one of the most amazing writers of our country and we have no new prints of some of his best work ! :o ), then I thought, I'll have to buy a used copy somewhere and began googling the book. The result was an e-book of that work, it should be read by any Dutch bookworm (hey, it's a free e-book, give it a try and if you don't like it, leave it):

www.dbnl.org/tekst/deys001pric02_01/deys001pric02_01.pdf

Finished reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer a couple of days ago. Eye-opener! So much I didn't know about the meat industry.

I started One Day By David Nicholls. After hearing so much about this book, I thought I'd give it a go. 100 pages in and I'm enjoying it :D

I read I am Number Four then went and saw the movie and I actually thought the movie was better than the book.

I would quite like to see the film just to see what it's like.

Good grief, it doesn't take much to interest you two does it? :huh: A lushious lead, a story steeped in history, witches & magic and you're both sold??? .....actually, sounds bloody brilliant, I'm not surprised!! :haha:

I've just literally finished it. Thanks to Michelle I learned it was the first of a trilogy so, naturally I went on to the Deborah Harkness website to find out what the next two were so I could order them straight away, and discovered the second one isn't even out until 2012! :o I don't even know what it's called!! :hissyfit:

Why mess with what we like, Charm?? :D All those factors sound like a perfect book to me :lol:. I had no idea it was a trilogy - that's exciting! But yeah, awhile to wait for the next one...

I went book shopping today and bought 15 books. Am happy. However too tired to list them now, will do it tomorrow, as well as other muy importante forum stuff.

What? You're leaving us hanging? Meanie! :P

Finished reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer a couple of days ago. Eye-opener! So much I didn't know about the meat industry.

I started One Day By David Nicholls. After hearing so much about this book, I thought I'd give it a go. 100 pages in and I'm enjoying it :D

Is Eating Animals likely to put me off or make me feel guilty for eating meat?

I really hope you enjoy the rest of One Day. I bought it recently and I'm keen to hear lots of good things about it.

I'm about 35 pages into A Wild Ride through the Night. Good stuff so far. :)

What? You're leaving us hanging? Meanie! :P

:giggle2: I was tired! Tired! The list can now be found on my reading blog, on the last page. I will now do a bit of cataloguing, adding to TBR, crossing off wishlist and such and such. Happy days :smile2:

Cool! Cataloguing is about as much fun as buying the actual books! I just saw your list and I'm green with envy! It's too hard to type here so I'll give proper comments later. Terrific haul Frankie!

Oh, and tiredness is no excuse!

Edited by Kylie

Cool! Cataloguing is about as much fun as buying the actual books! I just saw your list and I'm green with envy! It's too hard to type here so I'll give proper comments later. Terrific haul Frankie!

Oh, and tiredness is no excuse!

Can't wait to hear which books made you green with envy, and what you think of the others :giggle2: In the meantime, I think I'll try and write that post again on your blog, the one I always botch in some way or another.

Edited by frankie

Didn't you recommend Miéville? I'm sure someone on here did!

I can't remember now :lol: But if I didn't I should have - Perdido Street Station is fantastic. I inevitably mentioned George RR Martin, Tim Powers, Glenn Cook and Steven Erikson (although I know he's an 'acquired taste'). And I'd add Guy Gavriel Kay to that list now, too.

I finished GGK's The Lions of Al-Rassan yesterday. I didn't want it to end, I got quite choked up :blush: Wonderful, wonderful novel :)

I was deciding which book to read next. I had a choice of four: the second Mistborn book, Arms of Nemesis by Steven Saylor, Under Heaven by GGK, or The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Then on a whim I read the first few pages of A Game of Thrones. Big mistake - it sucked me in once again. Might have to force myself to read some of those other books before I start re-reading it properly, but it's just sooo good.