Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I met my friend for lunch today she returned some books I had lent her and gave me a couple new ones as well! Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong and Nanny Returns by the authors of the Nannie Diaries (sorry I can't remember their names atm).

It does pick up towards the end, but it is pretty repetitive and I didn't have any inclination to go on to read the other books in the series.

I couldn't even get that far. I gave up on it. For me to get into a book, I need characters I can relate to. The author has an annoying habit of telling the reader how a character feels, rather than showing the reader through their actions and interactions. Therefore, I could never really believe that these people were real and actually cared about one another. That will put me off a book more than anything else.

That was exactly how I felt about that book! I was so annoyed with myself for buying all three - and I never bothered with the other two :rolleyes::doh::lol:

I'm currently 300 pages into Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan. It's historical fantasy, no magic or orcs or elves, just a story about what is effectively a re-invention of medieval Spain. And it's marvellous; wonderful, wonderful characters and beautifully written. It's the sort of book that makes me very jealous because I can't write even a tenth as well as he does :D

I finished two books whilts in the garden this weekend and started a 3rd. Newton and the Counterfeiter - Thomas Levenson and Burn - Linda Howard and started All? about Alice - Robbie Watts

I also got out a couple more books Pandemonium - Christopher Brookmyer (which I ahve read before but loved) and We are All Made of Glue - Marina Lewycka ( I have read a couple of her other books)

I finished Popular Music from Vittula by Mikael Niemi and finally had the chance to pick up A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham for this month's readin circle. Time flies by when I read it :)

Are you a Babylon 5 fan, out of interest?

Interesting, I've recently heard that Gaiman based American Gods on works by Diana Wynne Jones.

What a plagiarist that man is!

I've never seen Babylon 5, although I have always wanted to. May have to look into that soon.

All writers are plagiarists. At least the modern ones are. :lol:

That was exactly how I felt about that book! I was so annoyed with myself for buying all three - and I never bothered with the other two :rolleyes::doh::lol:

I'm currently 300 pages into Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan. It's historical fantasy, no magic or orcs or elves, just a story about what is effectively a re-invention of medieval Spain. And it's marvellous; wonderful, wonderful characters and beautifully written. It's the sort of book that makes me very jealous because I can't write even a tenth as well as he does :D

Guy Gavriel Kay is a great author. I have read The Lions of Al-Rassan, Tigana, and The Last Light of the Sun and have more of his to be read.

He hasn't disappointed me so far.

I'm halfway through 'The Dead~Tossed Waves' by Carrie Ryan (re~read) :)

^A few more chapters since this post :)

I'm up to chapter 11 now in A Discovery Of Witches and am really enjoying it. :D My one gripe is, it's a huge hardback and really heavy to read in bed. It almost knocked me out last night as I dosed off! :wacko: .... although, at least I was in the right place :giggle2:

I couldn't even get that far. I gave up on it. For me to get into a book, I need characters I can relate to. The author has an annoying habit of telling the reader how a character feels, rather than showing the reader through their actions and interactions. Therefore, I could never really believe that these people were real and actually cared about one another. That will put me off a book more than anything else.

My review from last year.

I've never seen Babylon 5, although I have always wanted to. May have to look into that soon.

It's very good, well, at least the first four series anyway!

I'm up to chapter 11 now in A Discovery Of Witches and am really enjoying it. :D My one gripe is, it's a huge hardback and really heavy to read in bed. It almost knocked me out last night as I dosed off! :wacko: .... although, at least I was in the right place :giggle2:

I hope it's got nout to do with Witches of the Eastwick, hehehe! :lol:

:haha:

No! Think The Historian meets The Physic Book Of Deliverance Dane and you'll be on the right track ;)

Yikes, maybe I should not say anything about not having read either of those yet, eventhough they've been biding their time on my bookshelves for a while now... :blush: Must be good stuff, though, from what I've heard about the titles! :giggle2:

:haha:

No! Think The Historian meets The Physic Book Of Deliverance Dane and you'll be on the right track ;)

OMG this sounds completely up my alley, Charm!! I've had my eye on Discovery of Witches but haven't bought it yet. I can't wait to hear what you think!! :D

I have finally finished reading the 150-page book that I've been reading for the past month. Yay me! Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities was a brilliant read but I must have been in the 'wrong place' to read it. I'm now going to re-start Walter Moer's A Wild Ride through the Night. I only read a few pages last month before stopping.

I've been reading some more of I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson. Bit confused as for some reason I thought it was memoir, but now it appears to be a novel! Perhaps I should actually read the blurb and find out - I'm reading it for my reading group, and tend to not look at the synopsis to prevent getting any preconceived ideas before reading the book choices, as I find it helps discussion if I come to it with as little knowledge about it as possible.

Edited by chesilbeach