Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

Great haul, Habeebi! I really loved The Grapes of Wrath, and I have a couple of others on my wish list.

Hehehe, Dave Eggers. Have you read anything by him before, or did the name stick in your mind because of A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genious? ;)

I'm so happy you found a copy of Freakonomics!!! I know how much you've wanted to get it. Yay!!! :exc:

Oh geez, I didn't even make the connection between Dave Eggers being the author of both books. doh.gif I guess I was more focused on the title of The Wild Things and not paying much attention to who wrote it. Probably also because this is more of a young adult book.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love anything that is set in India - I love Rohinton Mistry books - A Fine Balance is one of my all time favourites and although it was a couple of years ago I read it, I still think about it from time to time and can resurrect the characters in my mind so vividly - I've never been one to read a book again unless it has been many years since I first read it, however I will definitely pick up a Fine Balance again soon, I can't praise it enough. :smile2:

I love anything that is set in India - I love Rohinton Mistry books - A Fine Balance is one of my all time favourites and although it was a couple of years ago I read it, I still think about it from time to time and can resurrect the characters in my mind so vividly - I've never been one to read a book again unless it has been many years since I first read it, however I will definitely pick up a Fine Balance again soon, I can't praise it enough. :smile2:

A Fine Balance is one of my favourites too! It was such a powerful book, a bit harrowing at times, but just a wonderful evocation of the people and the setting. But, my heart would go with A Suitable Boy as my favourite book set in India. We had a little bit of a discussion on Indian books in Janet's reading blog a couple of years ago (you can find it here --> http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3131-janets-reading-log-2009) and I must admit I picked up some recommendations from it, but never got round to getting the books. Will try and remedy that this summer, I think.

In the meantime, I've finally finished I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson, and have read the first two chapters of A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and I'm already hooked :smile2:

What? You're leaving us hanging? Meanie! :P

Is Eating Animals likely to put me off or make me feel guilty for eating meat?

I really hope you enjoy the rest of One Day. I bought it recently and I'm keen to hear lots of good things about it.

I'm about 35 pages into A Wild Ride through the Night. Good stuff so far. :)

I'm a vegetarian so I found Eating Animals validated my decision to quit eating meat. It's a tough read, I think it would make a meat eater feel guilty, or at least more aware about the meat they're eating. My boyfriend (who eats meet) wanted to read it, but I steered him away from it. I feel it would just ruin meat for him, and he's not the type to ever give it up. Its great if you have a tough stomach and want to know how your food is being raised and processed, but I can't see anyone reading this and not wanting to make a lifestyle change. However, I read a few reviews and some people were able to look past it, didn't change the way they ate after reading it. He's a great writer though, easy to read and had some funny family stories in it as well.

As for One Day, I'm 2/3 of the way done and I love it. The style is interesting, I love the fact that it updates the reader on the same day every year (or couple of years) so you can see the progress, or lack of progress, they've made in their relationship. Super intriguing!

150 pages through neverwhere and have also picked up Wally Lamb's Couldn't Keep it to Myself which is a collection of stories written in a writing group by women in York Correctional facility in Connecticut. The women write about thier lives and their story of how they became incarcerated. It will be good to dip in and out of I think.

Good to hear as I have this on my TBR pile.

A Fine Balance is one of my favourites too! It was such a powerful book, a bit harrowing at times, but just a wonderful evocation of the people and the setting. But, my heart would go with A Suitable Boy as my favourite book set in India. We had a little bit of a discussion on Indian books in Janet's reading blog a couple of years ago (you can find it here --> http://www.bookclubf...eading-log-2009) and I must admit I picked up some recommendations from it, but never got round to getting the books. Will try and remedy that this summer, I think.

I really enjoyed A Suitable Boy as well, one of my favourite books set in India is The Peacock Spring by Rumer Godden I enjoyed it so much I read a biography of her life which was also very interesting.

I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire Stieg Larsson this morning & would definitely give it the thumbs up. I've now gone back to the Sharpe series & have started Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard Cornwell.

and have read the first two chapters of A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and I'm already hooked :smile2:

Me too although I am now about 300 pages in and I blame Charm for me being tired this morning having stayed up til nearly 1am and then forcing me to have a littlre rest and read abit more this afternoon when I should have been doing something useful :D

Have finished Trainspotting, a very disturbing book. I got half way through Carrie - Stephen King but I got a bit bored so I've started The Motorcycle Diaries.

I also think A Discovery of Witches was a really good book and I got through it pretty fast even though it's huge. It was just as well I did I think I would have done myself damage if I had carried that around in my hand bag for too long!

I am enjoying 'City of Bones' (The Mortal Instruments ~ Book 1) by Cassandra Clare

And I bought today ~

The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance by Edmund de Waal

After the Party by Lisa Jewell :bookworm:

Wow, I read this when it first came out in hardback - all 1500 pages of it! - and I absolutely loved it. It was the first book I'd read set in India, and I now have a very large soft spot for fiction and travel writing set in the subcontinent. I hope you two enjoy it as much as I did. My OH keeps talking about Seth's first novel, written in verse, called The Golden Gate. I've always been put off, as I've never understood poetry, and I'm tentative about attempting a novel in this format ... maybe one day ... ;)

I can't believe it's 1500 pages, I thought it was only about 1000 pages or so :rolleyes::giggle2: I'm all the more intimidated! I swear I'll read it though. The first couple of pages were very gripping. One just need to be in the right mind-set to tackle such a thick book. Have you read An Equal Music by Seth? I found it on the free bookswap trolley at the library maybe a year ago and snatched it.

A Fine Balance is one of my favourites too! It was such a powerful book, a bit harrowing at times, but just a wonderful evocation of the people and the setting.

I think when I get to reading A Suitable Boy, and if I get struck by a desire to read more India related fiction, I'll look this book up :)

Oh geez, I didn't even make the connection between Dave Eggers being the author of both books. doh.gif I guess I was more focused on the title of The Wild Things and not paying much attention to who wrote it. Probably also because this is more of a young adult book.

Hehe, no harm done. Was that a book you've been wanting to buy or just something that caught your eye?

I'm currently reading a book by Daniil Harms. I'm having a seriously difficult time finding the English title for this.

I can't believe it's 1500 pages, I thought it was only about 1000 pages or so :rolleyes::giggle2: I'm all the more intimidated! I swear I'll read it though. The first couple of pages were very gripping. One just need to be in the right mind-set to tackle such a thick book. Have you read An Equal Music by Seth? I found it on the free bookswap trolley at the library maybe a year ago and snatched it.

I honestly flew through it when I read it. And I read it in hardback - can you imagine how heavy it was! But totally worth it. I have read An Equal Music too. A much subtler story, and I did enjoy it, but it's completely different in setting, tone, story, etc. Worth a read though.

Meanwhile, I'm halfway through A Discovery of Witches thanks to not being able to put it down last night, or rather early this morning I should say! Charm, I'm loving it :smile2:

In the meantime, I've finally finished I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson, and have read the first two chapters of A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness and I'm already hooked :smile2:

Meanwhile, I'm halfway through A Discovery Of Witches thanks to not being able to put it down last night, or rather early this morning should I say! Charm, I'm loving it :smile2:

Me too although I am now about 300 pages in and I blame Charm for me being tired this morning having stayed up til nearly 1am and then forcing me to have a littlre rest and read abit more this afternoon when I should have been doing something useful :D

Chaos. Sleeplessness. Disorder. Ravaging mojos. My work here is done :angel_not:

I am SO pleased you both are enjoying it so much considering I went on about it so much! :D

I also think A Discovery of Witches was a really good book and I got through it pretty fast even though it's huge. It was just as well I did I think I would have done myself damage if I had carried that around in my hand bag for too long!

I almost knocked myself out with it when I dosed off in bed while reading it! Totally worth it though :giggle2:

I am enjoying 'City of Bones' (The Mortal Instruments ~ Book 1) by Cassandra Clare

Result! I just knew you'd like them :jump:

My own reading activity isn't great. I'm reading Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane and I'm now only up to page 45 :( I think it's cause I'm not really fond of the main character atm but hopefully it picks up.

I honestly flew through it when I read it. And I read it in hardback - can you imagine how heavy it was! But totally worth it. I have read An Equal Music too. A much subtler story, and I did enjoy it, but it's completely different in setting, tone, story, etc. Worth a read though.

Honestly, I believe you flew right through it, it seemed like such a compelling book, and I'm sure once I get my hands on it and set my mind on it I will, too. It's just the starting bit that intimidates me :blush:

I finally finished my re-read of IT, which I felt like I have been reading forever. As much as I like the book, I'm kind of glad to be finished with it, so I can read something else. :rolleyes: No idea what I'm going to read, but preferably something short. :giggle: