Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I finished reading Linda Gillard's 'House of Silence' this morning on my Kindle. Brilliant reading as always with Linda. I hope it comes out in paper soon, as I have a few non Kindlers who would love it!

My next read is 'The Knife Of Never Letting Go' by Patrick Ness. The book is ready, the bookmark is ready (3d effect Butterflies). I'll get started on it this evening

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished reading Linda Gillard's 'House of Silence' this morning on my Kindle. Brilliant reading as always with Linda. I hope it comes out in paper soon, as I have a few non Kindlers who would love it!

I would be one of them! :D

I have been reading lately, just haven't had much time to post here. Currently reading Complete Stories by Oscar Wilde. Loving it so far!

Finished The Last Dragon Slayer - Jasper Fforde and Divine Misdemeanors- Laurell K Hamilton.

Started reading Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh. It's the first book thats ever made me think I was going to be sick which was unpleasant. I had to put the book down take some deep breaths and make myself a cup of tea to recover.

Went in to a second hand music shop yesterday and they had lots of books in there for £1 so I bought Amara - Richard Layman and Carrie - Stephen King.

edit: The front cover of Carrie is so disturbing I've had to turn it over so it doesn't freak me out!

Edited by Cookie

Oooh excellent book, Carrie, Cookie! :D

I'm about 100 pages into The Neighbors and have read another 3 stories in my pioneer book. It's so interesting to read how new it was even here in the city way back before MN was recognized as a state. Military forts and Native Americans in teepees right next door to eachother! :lol:

I read over the weekend 'I am Legend' by Richard Matheson & 'Lover Unleashed' by J.R. Ward and I just started 'A Home at the End of the World' by Michael Cunningham :)

Purchased at the bookstore today:

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson

Dimiter by William Peter Blatty

The Forest of Hands and Teeth and The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

I was in a horror mood. :D

Oh nice choices Pixie! :) You have to tell me what you thought of 'The Amityville Horror' and enjoy 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' and 'The Dead-Tossed Waves', great reads :)

Oooooh Amityville Horror, Pixie, excellent! Some creepy stuff there - I loved it but couldn't read it at night. I'd love to go to New York and see the real house too!

I once saw a documentary which showed the house as it is now. The people who have lived there for years said they noticed nothing strange and the house is normal. They had the windows changed which made the house look scarier into more normal windows and said still people came to look at the house. It also said how everything about the paranormal activity was made up by the first people who came to live in that house after the murders because they knew the son and wanted to help his case that some terrible force made him commit them. Even though untrue, still a scary story.

Edited by sadya

EEEEk Amyityville, I remember watching the film years ago when I was babysitting, then realising I was in a very old Victorian house with looks of dark corners and cupboards, suffice to say when the parents got home the whole of the bottom of the house was lit up like a christmas tree.

I am reading a variety of things not had much time over the weekend to read in any depth, read a bit more of Newton and the counterfeiter and also Terry Pratchetts Tiffany Aching series for those light afternoon and mornings

The film was seriously creepy, I remember watching it thinking how much James Brolin looked like my uncle! :blush:

The re-make was less scary. I remember first watching the original movie in the '90s when I was around 12-13 years old. It was so scary. Now years later I watched the remake which wasn't scary at all. If anyone plans to watch the movie, I think you're better off watching the original movie unless you want less of a scare.:)

I bought loads of books yesterday, I'm too lazy to list them here, but I can tell you this much: today I got One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksander Solzenitsyn, it's a 1001 Books list book. Happy!

Edited by frankie

I bought loads of books yesterday, I'm too lazy to list them here, but I can tell you this much: today I got One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksander Solzenitsyn, it's a 1001 Books list book. Happy!

Great book Frankie! and not without humour. If you like it I would urge you to read Gulag Archipelago (shorter version) as it is quite amazing.

I nearing the last part of The Novel in the Viola and is a fantastic read. I'll report more on it once I have finished it.

Edited by SueK

Oh nice choices Pixie! :) You have to tell me what you thought of 'The Amityville Horror' and enjoy 'The Forest of Hands and Teeth' and 'The Dead-Tossed Waves', great reads :)

I will definitely let you know, Weave. I should be reading it some time soon and definitely The Forest of Hands and Teeth soon as well.

Oooooh Amityville Horror, Pixie, excellent! Some creepy stuff there - I loved it but couldn't read it at night. I'd love to go to New York and see the real house too!

Noted. Do not read at night. :wink:

The film was seriously creepy, I remember watching it thinking how much James Brolin looked like my uncle! :blush:

I have seen the original film, and it didn't really scare me. However, I have heard that the book is better, and I get more creeped out by books than films, anyway. :)

Just started reading Call The Midwife by Jennifer Worth. It's not something I would usually read, but I'm finding it really interesting. It's amazing how different things were 60 years ago, medicine had come a long way since then!

Edited by ToniLianne

Received in the post today 'Tropical Connections' ~ Susie Vereker (bookring via Bookcrossing)

Reading 'Sister' ~ Rosamund Lupton (good so far)

This morning I started reading Walter Moers' A Wild Ride through the Night. I should really be reading his other 3 books that I bought long before I bought this one, but this is short and will hopefully kick my mojo into gear.

I received my book order this morning, books for my children and for me one of my favorite books ever: 'To the Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf. I've only read it in Dutch once, looking forward to reading the original words by the author in her native language. I'm still expecting one more book from that order, it's the second English language book I bought for my daughter: Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass in one book.

Edited by sadya

I got two books today, Olipa tuuria, Lotta! by Merri Vik and To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway (both a 1001 Books list book and a Rory book).

I finished Incidences by Daniil Harms last night in bed and started Popular Music from Vittula by Mikael Niemi.