Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

Ordered three more Guy Gavriel Kay novels from Amazon: The Last Light of the Sun, Sailing To Sarantium and Lord of Emperors. Thought I might as well get them while they were in stock, as his books always seem to be hard to come by. Although I could've got the Kindle versions, I suppose, but seeing as I've already got physical copies of some of his other books I kind've wanted to keep collecting these :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past 2 days I've managed to put nearly 6 hours into The Naked God and I'm still only about 1/4 of the way through. I don't believe I've ever read such a massive book.

Bought Iron Crowned by Richelle Mead and I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson (the second one for my book group this month). Started Iron Crowned during my lunchbreak, and am already about a third in. Suspect I will finish it this evening :rolleyes:

I am almost half way through. The book seemed interesting at first and a part of me finds the plot intriguing, but the cardboard characters are putting me to sleep. I may give up on it soon.

It does pick up towards the end, but it is pretty repetitive and I didn't have any inclination to go on to read the other books in the series.

Got my hands on a collection of books I read as a child.

Reading the whole series of Enid Blyton's Famous Five again. Currently reading Five Go To Mystery Moor. Can't remember the page number but George, Anne and Timmy the dog have just been caught by the travellers and Julian and Dick are lost in mists.

Simple but brilliant!

100 posts for me finally!

That takes me back. I used to read them all the time when I was young, had loads of them.....enjoy.

It does pick up towards the end, but it is pretty repetitive and I didn't have any inclination to go on to read the other books in the series.

I couldn't even get that far. I gave up on it. For me to get into a book, I need characters I can relate to. The author has an annoying habit of telling the reader how a character feels, rather than showing the reader through their actions and interactions. Therefore, I could never really believe that these people were real and actually cared about one another. That will put me off a book more than anything else.

Going to try Labyrinth by Kate Mosse next.

Edited by Pixie

Received Slaves of Solitude by Patrick Hamilton in the post today (Amazon only sent it last night - not bad for supersaver eh :lol: ). I also downloaded Bel-Ami by de Maupassant for £1.40 this morning. It's gonna be - a lovely daaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

I finished Erica James 'The Holiday' I do not know why but getting to near the end of the book, I was in tears. I have started today reading Katie Fforde 'The Perfect Proposal'

I started reading The Twelfth Insight by James Redfield (author of The Celestine Prophecy) a few days ago, after Coran finished it, and have been pleasantly surprised by it. I had expected it to be a bit last decade to be honest, as a lot of these type books are for me now, but actually it is helping me to understand a lot of the experiences I have had in my own life of late, and is also a pretty good story to boot. One I would definately recommend for anyone seeking answers, even if you are not yet sure of the question ...

Nearly finished memoirs of a geisha. Not massively taken with it but still a good read. Was going to start cross stitch but my mood has changed and fancy a change of pace with a bit of comedy or fantasy

I just bought The Essential Ellison: A 50 Year Retrospective which contains much of Harlan Ellison's best work.

It was a bit expensive, as it is out of print and I had to do some searching to find a decent copy, but it was worth it. :smile2:

Won't be purchasing any more books for awhile.

I just bought The Essential Ellison: A 50 Year Retrospective which contains much of Harlan Ellison's best work.

It was a bit expensive, as it is out of print and I had to do some searching to find a decent copy, but it was worth it. :smile2:

Won't be purchasing any more books for awhile.

You a big fan of Ellison then Pixie? I don't think I have read anything of his.

Yes, love him! He is rather dark and strange, but also brilliant and philosophical and not difficult to read.

If you would like to try him, a good book to try would be Deathbird Stories, which contains some of his best like "Deathbird" and "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs". It's available in e-book format at a very reasonable price. Neil Gaiman's American Gods was influenced by some of these stories.

Unfortunately, a lot of his works are out of print. :(

Finished The Maze Runner. Thought it was brilliant. Not the best written thing ever, but that's totally outweighed by excellent concept and plot.

About to try The Hunger Games. Nothing about it appeals to me beyond the fact that I read the entire plot synopsis on wiki and don't understand how anyone can think it's better than TMR, so I'm giving it a go.

Yes, love him!

Are you a Babylon 5 fan, out of interest?

Neil Gaiman's American Gods was influenced by some of these stories.

Interesting, I've recently heard that Gaiman based American Gods on works by Diana Wynne Jones.

What a plagiarist that man is!

Actually put The Hunger Games on hold to read Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer, the first in a trilogy called the The Last Survivors or The Moon Crash Trilogy, depending on where you are.

Read the whole thing last night and it's not the best book ever, but very readable and thoroughly enjoyable. Read it in one sitting, and am currently reading the second book, The Dead And The Gone. Not enjoying it quite as much as the first, but I am almost a third of the way through it so it's definitely readable.