Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

Desperate to finish 13 Rue Therese now as I want to get reading the downloaded books on Kindle. I've just downloaded Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham, for the princely sum of £1.44. Bargain!!! :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just downloaded Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham, for the princely sum of £1.44. Bargain!!! :D

Hope you enjoy Human BondageSue it's one of my favourite of Maughams :)

I finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night & am now reading Sharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell

Dam and double dam :D I knew it, and not quite finished it yet but almost...its pretty horrible idea but in a thriller sort of a way.

I hope you liked it anyway? I think Die For Me is my favourite of all her books so far ;)

I've finished Kiss Of Death by Rachel Caine and am now making my way through Ghost Town :)

I hope you liked it anyway? I think Die For Me is my favourite of all her books so far ;)

I finished it at lunchtime today when I popped home and I thought it was really good.

Not sure what to read next nothing I haven't already read on the shelves will just have to pick something favourite til I can get to the library

I finished From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris last night, and I finished Shakespeare by Bill Bryson today.

Next I'll be starting Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

Yesterday I found out that there's a great book sale on this weekend. I should really be saving myself for the big book fair next weekend, but I can't resist going along! :)

Finished Kill For Me - Karen Rose and started The Gates - John Connolly which I have read before and really loved. I am going shopping on my day off tommorow so am looking forward to getting some new books.

I finished 'True Grit' by Charles Portis, I enjoyed it so much the first time, I am re~reading it :)

Really? I suppose it is a bit like marmite. I find it seems to envoke every singel emotion in me. I seem to always instantly know the characters like I have always known them. I don't know why. I'm re-reading it for the LOST book club challenge.

Yeah I figured it was for the LOST challenge :) I should look up the thread and see what's on the list (that is, if you've added the list by now), haven't had the chance to do so yet, haven't been active on the forum very much lately. I'm happy you're enjoying Lord of the Flies, it was about time somebody does :giggle:

I noticed you are reading a book called The uncensored Oral history of Punk. I read a book called that. I can't remember it being PLease killme though. :blush: Good read if it is the same book.

It must be the same book, I think. I can't imagine there being other uncensored oral histories of punk (although if there are, I want to read them now!). I really liked it, I liked how the book was just a collection of quotes of what people have said about things. Very readable and highly entertaining!

Yep, like I said, I've just finished Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain and I absolutely loved it. It took me several days to read it, but I'm sad now that the book's ended.

Having now been inspired by the book, I'm going to go with Mary Woronov's Swimming Underground. My Years in the Warhol Factory. :smile2:

I stayed up late last night to finish Sharpe's Rifles such an exciting read & I recommend it even if your not really into war stories.

I'm going to start Bury The Chains The British Struggle to Abolish Slavery by Adam Hochschild, I don't read a lot of non fiction but my hubby recommended it so I'm giving it a go :)

I pre~ordered this morning ~

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

The Mortal Instruments 4 ~ City of Fallen Angels

Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward

:)

I finished 'True Grit' by Charles Portis, I enjoyed it so much the first time, I am re~reading it :)

Excellent, Weave! :D I'm now adding it to my wishlist.

It's turned into a busy week for me, so I haven't read a respectable amount since Tuesday! Hopefully I'll fix that this weekend.

I received Little, Big by John Crowley in the mail today, which should please a certain couple of BCFers. :D The cover is lovely and it has that great binding that means I can open it wide without breaking the spine.

I've only read a few pages of Italo Calvino's Invisible Cities, but it's wonderful so far. It's basically a collection of short descriptions of make believe cities as told by Marco Polo to Kublai Khan (fictional). It might sound a bit dull, but Calvino has the most remarkable way of bringing the cities to life in just a few paragraphs.

Yeah I figured it was for the LOST challenge :) I should look up the thread and see what's on the list (that is, if you've added the list by now), haven't had the chance to do so yet, haven't been active on the forum very much lately.

I haven't put the list on yet. I never have the time to comeon here for long. But promise I will do it over the weekend.

As for me I have only been able to manage 50 pages of The BLade itself. I am however loving it, and I think it may well be my first ten out of ten out of ten non re-read book of the year.

I started reading 'Matched' by Ally Condie this afternoon and I am re~reading 'True Grit' by Charles Portis :)

Edited by Weave

I bought 3 books today, 2 for me and one for my friends birthday. The birthday book is The Passage - Justin Cronin. and my books are The Leopard - Jo Nesbo and one which just drew me is called Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch, it just looked fascinating.

I went to a book sale today and bought a few books:

Harold Acton: Nancy Mitford: The Biography

Michael Bright: 1001 Natural Wonders You Must See Before You Die

Isobelle Carmody: The Keeping Place

David Crystal: The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language

Gary Dexter: Why Not Catch-21?

Frederick Forsyth: The Odessa File

Tess Gerritsen: The Bone Garden (for my Mum)

Che Guevara: Guerrilla Warfare

Xiaolu Guo: A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers

David Hill: Gold!

Homer: The Odyssey

Aldous Huxley: Brave New World (new Vintage edition to replace my old copy)

Lloyd Jones: Mister Pip (small paperback to replace my large one)

Nicholas Jose (ed): Macquarie Pen Anthology of Australian Literature

Stephen King: Under the Dome

William McKeen: Outlaw Journalist: The Life and Times of Hunter S Thompson

David Michaelis: Schulz and Peanuts

Alan Moore: Watchmen (I've read this but wanted my own copy)

Terry Pratchett: Nanny Ogg's Cookbook

Alexander McCall Smith: The Miracle at Speedy Motors

Mark Twain: Autobiography Volume 1