Hardback vs paperback

Maureen

I have to say paper back, does anyone else love the way the books smell, old or new!? Um i love it! or am i wierd?!

I love the smell too, love the smell of books and magazines. I prefer the smell of new books tho. Alot of old books I've come across smell of smoke, must have came from a smokers household. When a new book or catalogue comes through a good sniff is needed lol

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So books really do have a distinctive smell? Even new books? Random paperbacks ?? I have hardly any sense of smell so wouldn't notice anyway but I always thought it was some sort of exageration, a 'poetic' way of saying you enjoy books... I just can't fathom an object such as a book having a proper smell *laughs*

I feel like I'm missing out on something now :lol:

Edited by Chimera
huge typo...

I love the smell of new books, I don't know whether it's the ink in it that what makes it smell so.

I only collect hard backs from Dean Koontz collection, as I know I would want to read them again at some point, we are moving sometime so right now, it's soft back books I'm reading. After the move I hope to collect James Herberts books again, along with other authors like Agatha Christie.

batty

Sniffing books and feeling the paper consistency under your fiingertips is wonderful...did you ever bought a book you already had just because a particular commemorative edition, finely bounded and deliciously smelling had been released? I did a couple of times for books really worth it...

• 2 years later...

I prefer paperbacks as they fit better in my bag, and I don't feel so bad if they get a bit worn and torn, to me, that shows its a much loved book anyway. I also find them easier to hold in my arthritic hands by being more flexible.

Dust covers often annoy me on hardbacks, and I usually end up taking them off because I am afraid they will get damaged, torn or bent. In saying that, some of my favourite childhood books are hardcovers though!

Interesting thread to revive Devi. Interesting, not least because I wonder how much e-books would be likely to influence such a discussion a couple of years on from the bulk of this thread: up to a couple of years ago I would have said that the arguments in favour of hardbacks included type size (an increasing issue with paperbacks and my over-50 eyesight), pleasure to handle, attractiveness, durability etc, whilst paperbacks were better for portability and convenience. Nowadays, I'd say that I tend not to buy paperbacks if I can, but buy an e-book, whilst my buying of hardbacks is largely unaffected.

BTW, quite a lot of my hardbacks are Folio Society books (which can be very reasonably priced secondhand!) - they have slipcases rather than dustcovers, which I much prefer!

Edited by willoyd

eBooks has also influenced a change in my preference too. Anything I would have bought as a paperback, I would now try to source an eBook version instead. I've only ever bought hardbacks for books I was so desperate to read that I couldn't wait for the paperback version to come out so my preference always used to be paperback, but now, I would either borrow the hardback from the library or wait for the price of the ebook version to come down. I've just gone back through my book records, and I've actually only bought 3 books since I got my Kindle. I've borrowed from the library, borrowed from friends and been given books as gifts (a total of 26 in that same period), but nearly everything I've bought myself has been in eBook format. I've also found that if I do read a paper book, I now prefer a hardback, as it's much easier to get a "handsfree" reading position, the same as I would be able to achieve with an eBook, and I find it quite distracting having to read a paperback.

To the original question: hardback. I love having a neat row of books with proper hard covers on my bookshelf. I do own quite a few paperbacks as well, they're usually cheaper so if I have doubts whether I'll like a book or not, I'll buy a paperback version. Paperbacks are of course lighter to carry with you, which is definitely a plus in this situation of mine: I travel a lot between two cities and have everything from clothes to laptop with me, so my bags are heavy enough without a couple of hardback books... So I basically like both, but prefer hardbacks when it comes to owning a book.

eBooks, then, aren't very familiar to me. I don't have anything to read them with and I can't focus if I have to read a long text from the computer screen.

eBooks, then, aren't very familiar to me. I don't have anything to read them with and I can't focus if I have to read a long text from the computer screen.

Yes, reading off a computer screen as opposed to an e-ink screen is very tiring, I agree. Interesting that you have a preference for paperbacks because of travelling: my Kindle really came into its own when I started commuting and travelling more - I could carry several books on a machine less than the size and weight of many paperbacks. And they are much easier to read in more ways than one: adjustable typeface, no text disappearing into gutters, easy to read one-handed. I've also comfortably made back the money I spent on the Kindle by the money saved on books too.

I like to sniff books too, does that make me weird?

No. Some people I know like to lick them! :o

I all for paperbacks, I much prefer them. They are easier to read, don't weigh me down (:giggle:) and if I'm moving to a new apartment, I'll notice the difference.

However, that's with fiction. As for non-fiction, I don't mind hardbacks that much for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that you have a preference for paperbacks because of travelling: my Kindle really came into its own when I started commuting and travelling more - I could carry several books on a machine less than the size and weight of many paperbacks. And they are much easier to read in more ways than one: adjustable typeface, no text disappearing into gutters, easy to read one-handed.

Provided that I had something with which to read ebooks, like that Kindle thing, I'd give it a shot ;) I'll think about getting one when I have a bit more extra money in my hands. Of course it would be lovely to have a bit lighter bag to carry with me when travelling, so I'm willing to try out an ebook reader if I get the chance. But I think ebooks will never come even close to replacing "real" books for me. It's the same as with music: I want to own the cd or the vinyl, not just a bunch of mp3 files.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer paper back cause they lighter and easyer to take around with you but I also like hardbacks cause they are more strong and you can almost throw the book against the wall sometimes and it will be a-o-k :banghead::P

I like to sniff books too, does that make me weird?

No that doesn't make you weird.

Lots of other things make you weird, but not that. :tongue:

I kid, I kid. Don't kill me.

I smell books:)I especially love the smeel of old,dusty ones and I know that is pretty weird,I even like the taste of blackseed oil,ITS DELICIOUS!

There's definitely a certain smell in bookstores filled with new books... It's heavenly! I don't even know what about all the books gives the scent, but it's loooveeely.. :smile:

Your right it is heavenly

I love the smell of new books, I don't know whether it's the ink in it that what makes it smell so.

I only collect hard backs from Dean Koontz collection, as I know I would want to read them again at some point, we are moving sometime so right now, it's soft back books I'm reading. After the move I hope to collect James Herberts books again, along with other authors like Agatha Christie.

batty

New books don't really have any smell.... :giggle2:

Sniffing books and feeling the paper consistency under your fiingertips is wonderful...did you ever bought a book you already had just because a particular commemorative edition, finely bounded and deliciously smelling had been released? I did a couple of times for books really worth it...

Yes,another fellow book sniffer,now here sniff these flowers :D:flowers2::P

• 1 month later...

Hardbacks, paperbacks, I really don't have a preference. It usually expense, and to a lesser extent to which mark a book registers on my 'eagerly anticipating metre', that dictates which version of a book I purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer paperbacks, because they are lighter and cheaper - I find them to be overall more practical. They might get damaged quite easily, but this makes our "bond" stronger somehow, if this makes any sense.

As for the smell of books, I love that, too! There's something really special about them, whether they are old or new.

eBooks are not exactly my thing, but I read them faster than 'normal' books, which is handy... I wouldn't give up on the 3D versions, though!

I prefer paperbacks especially when trying new authors, I don't own any hardbacks. I try to buy authors I like when they are on offer. Otherwise I tend to buy from charity shops or when they are cheap on P and A . I sometimes have trouble telling which are large format.