Hardback vs paperback

Maureen

There are very few authors I'll actually buy the hardback straight off. That said, I've decided that I'd like to replace some of my paperbacks with the hardback versions, such as my old Pratchetts & the first 5 Harry Potter books

Hi Kell, thanks for the welcome!

A very good choice there of some hardbacks to put by by for the future. If you can get hold of first editions of them even better (makes note to see if there's a thread about identifying first editions). These may well be a nice little investment. Also, if you are into the aesthetics of bookshelves they can look very nice lined up, though you may need a large bookshelf for Pratchett! Car boot's and Charity shops are very good places to find these for under a fiver, but be wary of the charity shops placing a HP in a glass case and pricing it at £30 and saying it's a first edition, it's more likely the 16th impression of the first edition!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

I'm currently reading (and loving) a paperback copy of The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet and have noticed that the sequel is now out in hardback.......World Without End.

I would love to read World Without End but I absolutely hate hardback books! :D So, I guess I will just have to wait until the paperback version comes out. Which got me wondering........does anyone know how long is it usually before the paperback comes out and also does anyone prefer hardback books? If so, why?

Carole

:D

I really enjoy reading hardbacks. For me, there's nothing better than curling up on the sofa and reading a hardback. The majority of my books are paperbacks, though, simply because they are far cheaper and easier to cart around in my bag to college or wherever.

If it's a book I'm keeping, I love hardbacks. I'm in the process of slowly replacing all my "permanent collection" paperbacks with hardbacks.

That said, I love paperbacks to stick in my bag and read "on the go", as it were. Hardbacks are often too heavy and unwieldy to carry about with me.

Most of the books I sell or swap on are paperbacks, although a few hardbacks get sold or swapped too.

I can't get on with hardbacks so seldom read them. I think it varies from author to author how long between hardback and paperback. I know that when I was really into 'chick lit' it was aaaages before Sophie Kinsella/Marian Keyes books came out in paperback.

I read hardback books, but not that often. I have about six in my entire collection. I don't prefer them, but will read them.

However,

I buy books so much that it is just cheaper to buy paperbacks. Also they are smaller and I enjoy them better.

I'll take a paperback over a hardback any day of the week :D

I actually prefer hardbacks, because I tend to keep all of my books and re-read them constantly...I want them to be able to last a long time. I'm also fussy about how they look, so a paperback with a bent spine and torn cover just bothers me. Besides, don't hardbacks just look so much better on your bookshelves?:D

I prefer paperback because they're easier to hold and carry around, although if I'm really into a series of books, I'll buy them in hardback as soon as they come out. I've done this with the Harry Potter series and the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. I came to both series late so got the first few books in paperback and the rest in hardback - there's no way I was going to wait for paperback versions of the rest of the books! I don't love having the inconsistency between paperback/hardback but it doesn't bother me too much.

I have a friend at work who waits until the paperback versions of Harry Potter come out before reading them. I'm pretty sure she said she has to wait 18 months for it! (although that's probably only Australia, knowing our delays in getting everything!)

If I am buying a book, then I will usually buy it in paperback because it is cheaper (and I don't usually buy books immediately when they come out so I can wait longer till the paperback is issued).

I don't mind buying secondhand hardbacks or getting them out of the library but I do prefer paperbacks because they are easier to carry about (and I always have a book in my bag!)

I agree with everyone that paperbacks are easier to carry around, and I always carry a book with me. So, sometimes, I'll buy a second copy of one of my favorite books in a paperback edition, just to have one to carry around. Of course, I buy it second-hand for about $1. Does anyone else do this?

I'm probably wrong, but it seems to me that they publish in six month cycles. So, if you are waiting for the paperback version - that can seem a long ways away. But, the next in the series might be an entire year later! Augh! I should stick to the dead authors.

I prefer paperbacks because I'm a snacky, munchy, sippy kinda guy. I like to read and have a bowl of chips or a (small) plate of cookies and a drink. I read everywhere I go but when I settle in, I like to think I'm indulging myself just a wee bit.

I do buy hardbacks on occasion but they are heavy and require my knees to be up - this makes the reading a little more intimate (does this make sense?) but on the whole ... paperbacks for ease-of-use.

I don't like hardbacks, they are too heavy and they're too expensive. Plus, they take up more space on my bookshelf! I did buy the Harry Potter series in hardback, because I couldn't wait for the paperback, but that's really the only culprit and I won't have to worry about that one any more.

I was tempted by a half price Pratchett "Making Money" the other day, but I resisted. It seems to me (at least in Pratchett and King's cases) that the hardback goes into paperback after about a year, whereupon the new hardback is released. It's quite a long time to wait. :D

So, sometimes, I'll buy a second copy of one of my favorite books in a paperback edition, just to have one to carry around. Of course, I buy it second-hand for about $1. Does anyone else do this?

No, I don't do this, but that's usually because I only tend to read somewhere where I'm comfortable (ie. at home or at work). I do prefer paperbacks though, as they are easier to read and hold, and take up less space (not to mention, cheaper). However, if it's a book I've been waiting for, for a long time (like World Without End), then I'll get the hardback as soon as it comes out.

For me, Harback v Paperback depends on the book and any special reasons for either. As a general rule, I prefer hardback for quality non-fiction books simply because they are often sources of reference and handled regularly. I go for paperbacks for fiction for reasons of economy, space and convenience; also, a paperback with an interesting cover gives the psychological impression of a relaxed read while a hardback can appear too "businesslike"...if you know what I mean.

Having said that, I do have some fiction hardbacks for special reasons. An example is Bernard Glemser's Girl on a Wing, no more than a lightweight comedy about life airline stewardesses in the early 60s, but I got the hardback because I like that title better than the one that was changed for all paperback editions...The Fly Girls. Then there is a very special hardback edition (the only one available) of one of my all-time favourite books - The Consort by Anthony Hextall-Smith. The hardback edition has two separate dust jackets.

also, a paperback with an interesting cover gives the psychological impression of a relaxed read while a hardback can appear too "businesslike"...if you know what I mean.

LOL, I agree. If you see someone in an airport with a paperback you think typical reader, but a hardback gives a way different impression. I agree with this.

I prefer paperbacks as I prefer thinner paper and I am not keen on hardback paper or print - in Florida recently I noticed the feel of the paperback covers was much more aesthetically pleasing - my son agreed - we went round feeling the book covers :jump: it was lovely - definitely different to here. By the way it was a terrific bookshop called 'Books a Million' - is it a chain?

I prefer paperbacks as I prefer thinner paper and I am not keen on hardback paper or print - in Florida recently I noticed the feel of the paperback covers was much more aesthetically pleasing - my son agreed - we went round feeling the book covers :jump: it was lovely - definitely different to here. By the way it was a terrific bookshop called 'Books a Million' - is it a chain?

I thought paperback covers were the same all over. That is neat to know there is a difference.