Charm's Choices ~ 2011

Charm

Lover Unleashed ~by~ J R Ward

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, seductive cloth as her brother. Imprisoned for eons by their mother, the Scribe Virgin, she finally frees herself - only to face a devastating injury. Manuel Manello, MD, is drafted by the Brotherhood to save her as only he can - but when the human surgeon and the vampire warrior meet, their two worlds collide in the face of their undeniable passion. With so much working against them, can love prove stronger than the birth right and the biology that separate them?

This series of books by J R Ward has to be one of my guilty pleasures. The Black Dagger Brotherhood are a group of vampire protectors, protecting their species from the lessars who have continued war on the vampire for centuries. This installment didn't really focus on the ongoing war, more on the relationship between Payne and Dr Manello, more of a vampire love story really. I love the writing style of Ms Ward, as corny as it can be, and the turmoil the characters go through, I enjoyed finding out more about Payne and Manny throughout. Can't wait until the next one!

10/10

Edited by Charm

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, seductive cloth as her brother. Imprisoned for eons by their mother, the Scribe Virgin, she finally frees herself - only to face a devastating injury. Manuel Manello, MD, is drafted by the Brotherhood to save her as only he can - but when the human surgeon and the vampire warrior meet, their two worlds collide in the face of their undeniable passion. With so much working against them, can love prove stronger than the birth right and the biology that separate them?

This series of books by J R Ward has to be one of my guilty pleasures. The Black Dagger Brotherhood are a group of vampire protectors, protecting their species from the lessars who have continued war on the vampire for centuries. This installment didn't really focus on the ongoing war, more on the relationship between Payne and Dr Manello, more of a vampire love story really. I love the writing style of Ms Ward, as corny as it can be, and the turmoil the characters go through, I enjoyed finding out more about Payne and Manny throughout. Can't wait until the next one!

10/10

Great reviews Charm, how great was 'Lover Unleashed', I liked how there was a bit more to the story, especially with Vishous and Dr Jane's relationship. :)

10/10

Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was a return to form after a couple of weaker ones, I really liked that Payne was a fighter too and fell a little in love with Manny. :D

Great reviews Charm, how great was 'Lover Unleashed', I liked how there was a bit more to the story, especially with Vishous and Dr Jane's relationship. :)

Oh boy, I was kinda worried on that one, poor Vischous, he's been so messed up :(

Glad you enjoyed it, I thought it was a return to form after a couple of weaker ones, I really liked that Payne was a fighter too and fell a little in love with Manny. :D

I did enjoy it, I didn't like Payne at first but she grew on me and now I hope she pops up more in future novels :)

• 1 month later...

I have way to many books read recently to write my thoughts on, so I'm just gonna list them here with one or two words to describe each one. Some really stood out and others were a bit meh, but all but one of them were either free or under a pound so I can't complain :D

Heather Killough Walden – Hell Bent - Great crime thriller/romance. Lots of action - recommend.

Heather Killough Walden – The Heat (Big Bad Wolf Series)

Heather Killough Walden – The Strip (Big Bad Wolf Series)

Heather Killough Walden – The Spell (Big Bad Wolf Series)

Heather Killough Walden – The Hunt (Big Bad Wolf Series) - A fantastic adult werewolf series, with witches, wizards and vampires to boot. Highly recommmend!

F E Heaton – Prophecy: Child Of Light ( Vampires Realm) - Really enjoyed this, quite gothic and european, Will no doubt read the next in the series. Recommend.

Katie Salidas – Immortalis Carpe Noctem (Immortalis #1) - Not bad, would read the next in the series.

Raven Dane – Blood Tears - Quite a large read set around the time of World War 2. Entertaining with plenty of interesting characters. Recommend.

K R Smith – Claimed (The Circulate Series) *Novella* - I wouldn't bother.

Ciana Stone – An Unwanted Hunger - Ok, but not nothing to write home about.

Erin Munday – I Witch: The Powers of the Blood and the Heart - Writing style a bit irritating at first but ended up enjoying it.

Michele Hauf – Her Vampire Husband - Adult Vampire/ Romance ... says it all really.

Michele Hauf – Kiss Me Deadly - Same again.

Claire Farrell – Thirst (Ava Delaney #1) - A bit meh.

Tina Folsom – Samson’s Lovely Mortal (Scanguards Vampires #1) Adult Vampire/Romance, will probably read the next one at some stage.

David McAfee – Saying Goodbye To The Sun - Boring and convenient.

Sylvia Day – Catching Caroline *Novella* - Just don't bother.

Brindle Chase – Dark Is The Night (Dark Justice) - Basically just sex. Bit of a waste really, it had the basis for a good thriller.

Penelope Fletcher – Lunar Light - Wendigos? Hmm, not too sure about this one.

Gia Dawn – Lord Demon’s Delight - Romance & Sex - boring in the end.

Kimberley Raye – Cody - Too 'mills&boon', don't bother.

Edited by Charm

Sounds like the Heather Killough Walden books will be added to my wishlist then! You might like to try How to Date a Werewolf by Rose Pressey which I thought was good - light hearted and fun (and only 86p on Kindle!).

Oooh thanks Chesil, I'll check it out :D

I've also quite a few to add to my TBR pile:

I B Holder – Ransom X (Legacy Series)

F E Heaton – Spellbound (Vampires Realm)

F E Heaton – Reunion (Vampires Realm)

R Marten – Laws of Wicca: Your Guide to Wiccan Laws, Practices & Principles

Melanie Nilles – Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles Book 1)

S A Hunter – Scary Mary

Have you been putting your Kindle to good use? :)

You bet! All that list is on kindle, a good deal were free and all but 1 were under a quid! :D I just search the kindle store, chose a topic I want and search lowest price first. It's a bit pot luck but I have enjoyed some cracking reads ;)

At least you even managed a small line about your books I haven't even managed any review at all desperately trying to keep up with all the books I have read. Have you tried Heather Killough Walden - The Game yet, not too bad not part of the big bad wolf series but a good read nonetheless.

Also Vampire for Hire - J R Rain (so far 3 books) not bad a little different from other vampire books.....must get on with my list reviews (bad bad Angela :D ) I think I might have about 5 books to add to it as well. Also (crikey I am full of recommendations today) Patricia Briggs not sure if you have read the Mercy Thompson series (good one) she has a couple of spin offs Alpha and Omega Hunting ground and Cry Wolf. (more than £1 though although I am sure I got them at a bargain price a while ago)

happy Reading (must do reviews now not reading)

I have this book. It's very good. Maybe I can send it to you.

That sounds great Isandriena! Hold on to it for the minute though, I'll be putting up a list of books for swap along side my wishlist so when I do perhaps you might see something on it you'd like in return ;) The list will be going up in the next few days :)

At least you even managed a small line about your books I haven't even managed any review at all desperately trying to keep up with all the books I have read. Have you tried Heather Killough Walden - The Game yet, not too bad not part of the big bad wolf series but a good read nonetheless.

Also Vampire for Hire - J R Rain (so far 3 books) not bad a little different from other vampire books.....must get on with my list reviews (bad bad Angela :D ) I think I might have about 5 books to add to it as well. Also (crikey I am full of recommendations today) Patricia Briggs not sure if you have read the Mercy Thompson series (good one) she has a couple of spin offs Alpha and Omega Hunting ground and Cry Wolf. (more than £1 though although I am sure I got them at a bargain price a while ago)

happy Reading (must do reviews now not reading)

I think I wrote down Patricia Briggs somewhere, I must check her out again. I considered The Game but the blurb didn't grab me, do you think I'd like it? I believe Chosen Soul is good and plan to get it next time I'm on ;)

Do try the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia briggs, they're really good. I've read the first three so far and just love them. I also have the spin off (Alpha & Omega) on it's way, should arrive by the end of the week :)

They're now on my wishlist! :D

Inspired by frankie and chaliepud, I've started a book swap thread too. We're getting new shelves made so I thought it would be a good chance to have a clear out ;) By doing so I've removed 20 books which I don't think I'd read from my TBR pile! :D

I've downloaded a few more on my kindle which have now been added to my wishlist .... just a few! :unsure:

Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire #1) – J R Rain

Silver Moon (Moon Trilogy Part 3) – C L Bevill

All in Time – Ciana Stone

Control Freak – Reena Jacobs

Lights, Camera, Monsters: Monsters in Hollywood Bk 1 – Lila Dubois

The Devil and Venus Di Milo (Witches Anonymous) – Misty Evans

Diary of the Displaced – Glynn James

Out of the Box (On the Edge) – Kallysten

Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood Trilogy) – Marsha Canham

Tales of Arcadia: The Last Witch Volume 1 – L A Jones

Hunter’s Choice (The Hunters) - Shiloh Walker

Heartless – Anne Elisabeth Stengl

Lot’s Return to Sodom: A Liv Bergen Mystery – Sandra Brannan

Silken Threads (Wexford Family Series) – Patricia Ryan

Discovery Of Witches – in the county of Lancaster – Thomas Potts

No Way Out - & other spooky short stories – M J A Ware

Spooks & Magic (Alana Weatherbee) – Jack Sorenson

My Blood Approves – Amanda Hocking

Turned (Book 1 in the vampire journals) – Morgan Rice

Unlucky in Death – Dan Dillard

Snapdragon Alley (Dragon City Trilogy 1) – Tom Lichtenberg

Freak City (Dragon City Trilogy 2) – Tom Lichtenberg

The Thirteenth Unicorn – W D Newman

Gallows at Twilight: WItchfinder 2 – William Hussey

All but 3 off these were free, and the 3 with a price were all under a quid each :D

Great haul there hen :)

Fanks! :D

Oh nice haul, I have been debating some of these on my kindle and some I have already read. Happy Days!!:D

I've gotten to the point now where, if it's free, I'll download it anyway. I've also become a real miser, I hate spending over a pound on a book now :blush:

One good thing about it is, I'm discovering loads of authors I would have never considered before, obviously some a lot better than others. It can be a bit hit and miss, but if a book entertains me then it has done it's job ;)

Charm, you've been flying through books lately! I'm so happy, seems like mojo's well and intact :friends3: Also happy about the new swap thread of yours, have been taking a good look at it every once in a while, but unfortunately I don't have anything you'd like. Maybe someday :wink: Good to have you back, babe! :hug:

Yeah its fatal all those free books I have just popped onto Amazon in my lunchtime and already I have ordered 5 freebies...I will never get anything done at home at this rate

See, while I appreciate the free/cheap books, I still make sure I buy the books I would have bought had I still been buying paperbacks. I refuse to pay the same price (or sometimes more :irked: ) for a Kindle book as I would for the paperback version of the book, as my copy is cheaper to produce for the publishers, so I shouldn't have to pay the same - but I do believe in supporting authors and they deserve to be paid for their work, and even though I suspect that the publishers pay them less for digital copies of books they sell, at least they still get their royalties for the book.

However, for some people, I understand that it's not always possible to afford all the books you want to read, but hopefully, the UK libraries will be able to offer digital books on loan more widely at some point, so then at least you'd be able to get free/cheap loans of books as well, and although it's not much, hopefully these would also count towards the authors income through the PLR.

I just hope it doesn't mean you miss out on some great books just because they're a few pounds more than your current purchases, guys and gals.

(Sorry to hijack your thread Charm :blush:)

all my free ones so far are classics

although I have to say I do regularly look at books on amazon and compare the "tree" price to the "e" price and "e" price quite often cheaper, even if its only 20p, but at the moment I really need to do less buying and more reading so I am trying to hold back.

I too am sorry for hijacking your thread Charm :smile2:

Charm, you've been flying through books lately! I'm so happy, seems like mojo's well and intact Also happy about the new swap thread of yours, have been taking a good look at it every once in a while, but unfortunately I don't have anything you'd like. Maybe someday Good to have you back, babe!

Thanks honey :hug: I keep checking in on yours too, although if there is something on my list you 'd like, you can have it now if you want and sure when something comes up on yours that I'd like, you can send me it then ;)

See, while I appreciate the free/cheap books, I still make sure I buy the books I would have bought had I still been buying paperbacks. I refuse to pay the same price (or sometimes more ) for a Kindle book as I would for the paperback version of the book, as my copy is cheaper to produce for the publishers, so I shouldn't have to pay the same - but I do believe in supporting authors and they deserve to be paid for their work, and even though I suspect that the publishers pay them less for digital copies of books they sell, at least they still get their royalties for the book.

However, for some people, I understand that it's not always possible to afford all the books you want to read, but hopefully, the UK libraries will be able to offer digital books on loan more widely at some point, so then at least you'd be able to get free/cheap loans of books as well, and although it's not much, hopefully these would also count towards the authors income through the PLR.

I just hope it doesn't mean you miss out on some great books just because they're a few pounds more than your current purchases, guys and gals.

(Sorry to hijack your thread Charm )

Oh don't get me wrong, tbh I think it's a phase I'm going through, I mean there are only so many free books out there and they're usually free to introduce you to an author. I still buy paperbacks, in fact I bought 3 on Monday, and I will always buy paper books for series I like too. I have to - I'm getting new shelves built! ;) I have no problem paying for the books I really want and have paid full price for some which came out on kindle before paperback, plus I'll probably buy the paperback as well to keep. I also have friends who use torrent sites online to illegally download brand new titles FOC, I deliberately won't do this. It's not fair to hard-working authors. I like a bargain, but I won't steal them.

all my free ones so far are classics

although I have to say I do regularly look at books on amazon and compare the "tree" price to the "e" price and "e" price quite often cheaper, even if its only 20p, but at the moment I really need to do less buying and more reading so I am trying to hold back.

I too am sorry for hijacking your thread Charm

Most of the free books on Amazon are the classics, but if you search for a topic you like in the kindle store eg. vampires, and then refine your search 'price low to high', you should get some freebies and bargain prices ;)

No worries on the hijacking peeps! It's not hijacking, it's input! :D:friends3:

I've just added a few more books to my TBR pile:

Christine Feehan - Dark Prince

Christine Feehan - Dark Desire

Christine Feehan - Dark Gold

Katie's Hellion - Lizzy Ford

Penelope Fletcher - Demon Girl

..also received via book swapping and added are

Karin Slaughter - Fractured

C C Humphreys - Vlad: The Last Confession

L A Banks - Minion

I've now finished Skin Deep by Carol Davis Luce and am about to start The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting (in tree form, it's been ages since I held a book!) :)