Charm's Choices ~ 2011

Charm

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right I have just finished it and enjoyed it, I did guess the killer before it happened but still thought it was well written and a really good read. I would say don't bother with that Tess Gerritsen it is so not one of her good ones, she wrote a few stinkers before she got onto the good ones, don't ruin your mojo with it.

So pleased you ended up enjoying it, I like them too because even though they're huge books, you still whizz through them! Very enjoyable ;)

I finished Life Support at last, took me a while but I did get into it eventually :rolleyes:

Check out your reading mojo!, way to go Charm :)1.gif

thank you Weave! :friends3: I've had some cracking reads so far this year :D

Life Support ~by~ Tess Gerritsen

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

Control was the word Dr Toby Harper lived by. She strove to keep her life in order, her ER in order. But no one could have been prepared for the man she admits one quiet night to the Springer Hospital. Delirious and in critical condition, he barely responds to treatment. And then he disappears without trace. The subsequent search leads Toby to a second patient with the same infection. And it reveals an unsettling twist - the infection can only be spread through direct tissue exchange. Soon Toby's on a trail that winds from a pregnant sixteen-year-old prostitute to an unexpected tragedy in her own home. Only then does she discover the unthinkable: a terrifying and deadly epidemic is about to be unleashed.

Having read the Rizolli/Isles series by the same author, I was quite looking forward to another great thriller by Tess Gerritsen. I was a bit disappointed, which is a shame. The story seemed to take ages to get started, well over half the book in fact, and it seemed like a bit of a rush to the end to finish it off. You can tell that the author is experienced with all the medical jargon, which was very impressive, but for me, this one is nowhere near as good as The Surgeon series.

6/10

Therapy ~by~ Sebastian Fitzek

Josy, a twelve year old girl, has an inexplicable illness and vanishes without trace from her doctor's office during treatment. Four years later: Josy's father, well-known psychiatrist Viktor Larenz, has withdrawn himself to an isolated North Sea island in order to deal with the tragedy. Until he's paid a surprise visit from a beautiful stranger. Anna Glass is a novelist and she suffers from an unusual form of schizophrenia: all the characters she creates for her books become real to her. And in her last novel she has written about a young girl with an unknown illness who has vanished without a trace. Is the inconceivable possible? Do Anna's delusions describe Josy's last days? Reluctantly Viktor agrees to take on Anna's therapy in a last attempt to uncover the horrible truth behind his daughter's disappearance...

After hearing a lot of great reviews and thoughts on this book, and after having it on my shelf for ages, I decided to give it a go. I'm not sure what I expected, I suppose the title should have really given a lot away! I'm finding it hard to describe and the main word that springs to mind is suffocating. I know, not much of a description, but I generally found it quite frustrating to read. I didn't like the setting or the main character and at times found the plot confusing, even after finishing the book, I'm still a bit confused and find some of the explanations a little too far fetched and easily expained away using peoples' delusions or breakdowns. I think there was just a bit too much confusion and disorientation with the main character and, added to the greyness and oppressive conditions throughout the story, made it too depressing for me.

Having said all that, it was well written, moved along pretty swiftly and does make you question things throughout which would make it a good book for discussion. If you're a big fan of psychological type thrillers, then you will probably enjoy it.

6/10

Uh oh, your reading of Therapy doesn't sound very promising :huh: Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that you've been reading so many Karen Roses, which I think are more straightforward thrillers (at least I assume so) than Therapy?

Uh oh, your reading of Therapy doesn't sound very promising :huh: Do you think it might have something to do with the fact that you've been reading so many Karen Roses, which I think are more straightforward thrillers (at least I assume so) than Therapy?

Oh it's quite possible, but for some reason I found it quite depressing. Maybe it's because there was no real let up or reprive for the main character, his state just gets worse and worse without any breathing space and that's what I found so suffocating. It could be just me though, others have said it's really good but I just didn't get it and as you say, that could be down to me reading a lot more straight forward stuff lately. All I can say is, it's not a huge read and you'll probably read it in a day or two. You never know, you might like it ;)

Hi Charm, you doing really well with your reading. The synopsis for Therapy makes the book sound really interested but going by your review it didn't turn out as so. I don't think I could go through a depressing and suffocating book. Great review.

Blimey Charm, you certainly are enjoying a good reading spell at the moment; in comparison to me who is seemingly in a bit of a slump at the moment. Hoping it'll pass soon enough, though. Just wanted to wish you look with the rest of your reading and I hope you pick up some more fantastic books.

Yeah I'm still going to read it no matter what, I was just surprised that you didn't like it. I'm glad you've now finished it and written the review, so you can put it behind and turn onto other books and let the suffocation rid of itself :friends0::)

Oh I'm so glad I didn't put you off it altogether, I know we don't always like the same things so who knows, you might like it! ;)

Hi Charm, you doing really well with your reading. The synopsis for Therapy makes the book sound really interested but going by your review it didn't turn out as so. I don't think I could go through a depressing and suffocating book. Great review.

Well I know a lot of people who did really enjoy it, unfortunately it wasn't for me, but don't just take my word for it, I could be an anomaly! (It wouldn't be the first time someone told me I was :lol: )

It's really interesting to see a book such as Therapy get mixed reviews. Personally, I loved it, and couldn't put it down. biggrin.gif

I know, I often marvel at the differences people see in books whether they like or loathe them. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all liked the same things! :wink:

Blimey Charm, you certainly are enjoying a good reading spell at the moment; in comparison to me who is seemingly in a bit of a slump at the moment. Hoping it'll pass soon enough, though. Just wanted to wish you look with the rest of your reading and I hope you pick up some more fantastic books.

Thanks Ben :) I'm enjoying my mojo while it's visiting, especially since it was absent for a while before xmas. I found it came back once I'd spent more time on here, read peoples' wonderful reviews and organised my reading thread. I hope yours comes back soon and your slump picks up! :)

Therapy ~by~ Sebastian Fitzek

Josy, a twelve year old girl, has an inexplicable illness and vanishes without trace from her doctor's office during treatment. Four years later: Josy's father, well-known psychiatrist Viktor Larenz, has withdrawn himself to an isolated North Sea island in order to deal with the tragedy. Until he's paid a surprise visit from a beautiful stranger. Anna Glass is a novelist and she suffers from an unusual form of schizophrenia: all the characters she creates for her books become real to her. And in her last novel she has written about a young girl with an unknown illness who has vanished without a trace. Is the inconceivable possible? Do Anna's delusions describe Josy's last days? Reluctantly Viktor agrees to take on Anna's therapy in a last attempt to uncover the horrible truth behind his daughter's disappearance...

After hearing a lot of great reviews and thoughts on this book, and after having it on my shelf for ages, I decided to give it a go. I'm not sure what I expected, I suppose the title should have really given a lot away! I'm finding it hard to describe and the main word that springs to mind is suffocating. I know, not much of a description, but I generally found it quite frustrating to read. I didn't like the setting or the main character and at times found the plot confusing, even after finishing the book, I'm still a bit confused and find some of the explanations a little too far fetched and easily expained away using peoples' delusions or breakdowns. I think there was just a bit too much confusion and disorientation with the main character and, added to the greyness and oppressive conditions throughout the story, made it too depressing for me.

Having said all that, it was well written, moved along pretty swiftly and does make you question things throughout which would make it a good book for discussion. If you're a big fan of psychological type thrillers, then you will probably enjoy it.

6/10

'Therapy' sounds a intense read hen, keep on impressing everyone with your reads! :)

Crave ~by~ J R Ward

The battle between good and evil has left the future of humanity in the hands of a reluctant saviour and his band of fallen angels. Seven deadly sins that must be righted. Seven souls that must be saved. Fallen Angel Jim Heron has completed his first task: helping Vin Di Pietro to redeem his soul. Now he must identify and battle a demon that can take any form. Worse still, his old boss Matthias wants him to assassinate Isaac, a member of The Firm who's gone AWOL - and Jim's pretty sure he's supposed to save him. But before Jim can get to Isaac to warn him, Isaac's picked up by the police for illegal street fighting. It's soon clear that he is falling for his gorgeous public defender - will their love redeem his soul? Or has the demon Devina, who's determined to see Jim fail, set an elaborate trap?

This is the second of J R Ward's series about the fallen angel Jim Heron. I really enjoyed the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by the same author so of course I had to read this series. The first book 'Covet' was enjoyable enough, but not nearly as good as the BDB books, so I wasn't in any particular hurry to read Crave. Once I got started on it though, I couldn't put it down. It was much more what I expect from a Ward book, and she totally redeemed herself for me with this installment. I am definitely looking forward to seeing if she progresses as well with any future books in this series. :D

8/10

'Therapy' sounds a intense read hen, keep on impressing everyone with your reads! :)

Thanks hun :friends0:

I tried to go the month of February without buying more books but alas, my will power is non-existent. It appears I have somehow purchased 9 books in the past week! :o They are:

Gena Showalter - Heart of the Dragon

Gena Showalter - Jewel of Atlantis

Gena Showalter - The Nymph King

Gena Showalter - The Vampire's Bride

Laurell K Hamilton - Flirt

Laurell K Hamilton - Bullet

Karen Rose - Die For Me

Karen Rose - Scream For Me

Karen Rose - Kill For Me

At a grand total of £29.51 for the lot, taking my total purchases up to £71.87 :blush: Mind you, I have enjoyed reading the first four already so definitely worth every penny in my book! (excuse the pun :giggle2: )

Atlantis Series ~by~ Gena Showalter

Heart Of The Dragon

Enter a world of dragons, demons and nymphs...enter a world of dark seduction and powerful magic...enter Atlantis...Searching for her missing brother, Grace Carlyle never dreamed she would discover a secret world populated by mythological monsters - or find herself facing a sword-wielding being whose looks put mortal men to shame. But there he was, Darius en Kragin, one of a race of shape-shifting warriors bound to guard the gates of Atlantis, and kill all travelers who strayed within its borders. Now Grace's life was in his hands, and Darius had to choose between his centuries-old vow and the woman who had slipped beneath his defenses and stolen the heart of Atlantis' fiercest dragon.

Jewel Of Atlantis

All Atlantis seeks the Jewel of Dunamis, which legend claims can overcome any enemy. Grayson James, human agent of the ultrasecret Otherworld Bureau of Investigation, has orders to keep it from the wrong hands - or destroy it. What he doesn't know is that Jewel is a woman, not a stone! But once he meets this precious gem, destroying her is the last thing on his mind...Jewel, part goddess, part prophet, needs Gray's help to win her freedom. Gray needs her wisdom to navigate monster-ridden Atlantis. But need blossoms into passionate love as they battle demons, dragons and vampires - and fight for a future that seems impossible...

The Nymph King

Females young and old, beautiful and plain crave Valerian's touch. None can resist his blatant sensuality and potent allure - until he steals Shaye Holling from a Florida beach and holds her prisoner in his underwater kingdom. The cynical Shaye wants nothing to do with the mighty warlord, but she's inexplicably drawn to him. For underneath the warrior's arrogant beauty lies a complex and powerful man. A man whose caress is like fire...Now Valerian must fight for the privilege of claiming her as his own. Because there's one thing Shaye doesn't know...That when a nymph discovers his true mate, she's his for life.

The Vampire's Bride

He is Layel, king of the vampires, a master seducer no woman can deny. But since a rogue horde of dragons killed his beloved over two centuries ago, Layel has existed only for vengeance...until he meets Delilah. Wary of love, the beautiful Amazon wants nothing to do with the tormented vampire. Yet there's no denying their consuming desire every time he nears her. Neither trusts the other—nor can they survive alone. For in an impossible game of the gods' devising, they've been trapped on an island, about to face the ultimate challenge: surrender to the passion that will bind them forever...or be doomed to an eternity apart.

This type of series is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me, something which keeps my mojo happy while I'm undecided what to read next. The books aren't rocket science, although sometimes corny, they're light hearted, harmless fun which are easy to read and easy to come back to. Perfect inbetween books. If you're a fan of J R Ward. Larissa Ione or Sherrilyn Kenyon you will enjoy these.

8/10

Anita Blake Series ~by~ Laurell K Hamilton

Flirt

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss. Anita knows something about love, and she knows everything there is to know about loss. But what she also knows, though Tony Bennington seems unwilling to be convinced, is that the thing she can do as a necromancer isn't the miracle he thinks he needs. The creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs. Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs. Bennington. Not really. And not for long.

Bullet

I am back in St Louis and trying to live a normal life -- as normal as possible for someone who is a legal vampire executioner and a US Marshal. I have my lovers, my friends and their children, school programs to attend. In the midst of all this ordinary happiness a vampire from my past reaches out. She was supposed to be dead, but the Mother of All Darkness is the first vampire, and it's hard to kill a god. The Mother of All Darkness believes that the triumvirate created by master vampire Jean-Claude with me and the werewolf Richard Zeeman has enough power for her to regain a body and to emigrate to the New World. But the body she wants to possess is already taken...And if the Mother of All Darkness can't succeed in taking over my body for herself, she means to see that no one else has the use of it, ever again.

I think there's about 18 or 19 books in this series and these ones are the latest. I was quite looking forward to them as I have enjoyed the rest of them so I have to say I was a tad disappointed when I got into them. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I didn't enjoy them, it's just that at this stage these books are getting very repetitive and I feel as if I've read one (two or three) from the series again with slightly different characters. If the storylines don't pick up in the next book, I'm not sure if I will be buying any more after that, although knowing me, I will feel incomplete if I don't have the whole series regardless! :giggle2:

6/10

Edited by Charm

I tried to go the month of February without buying more books but alas, my will power is non-existent. It appears I have somehow purchased 9 books in the past week! :o

:D So who's the book hoarder now, missy?! :giggle2: I'm so happy to see you just flying through your books :friends3:

I was a a supermarket yesterday and in the magazines/books section I noticed a book by Gena Showalter called The Darkest Fire, I've just googled it and it's the first novel in the Lords of the Underworld -series. I remember having seen Showalter's books in a book haul list of yours and now I've come here to check if I was right, and I was! However, you've been reading the Atlantis series. So have you read LotU series at all, and if not, do you think you'll try them, seeing that you like the other series by Showalter?

• 2 weeks later...

I was a a supermarket yesterday and in the magazines/books section I noticed a book by Gena Showalter called The Darkest Fire, I've just googled it and it's the first novel in the Lords of the Underworld -series. I remember having seen Showalter's books in a book haul list of yours and now I've come here to check if I was right, and I was! However, you've been reading the Atlantis series. So have you read LotU series at all, and if not, do you think you'll try them, seeing that you like the other series by Showalter?

Oh I'm so sorry frankie, I missed this post as we posted at almost the same time! :blush:

I haven't read the LOTU series but I believe they are on my Amazon wishlist! :D So yes, I will probably be reading them at some stage. Bear in mind though if you do fancy the Atlantis series, they are not young adult. They are most definitely adult ;) which is all rather enjoyable! :giggle2: I would imagine the LOTU series is the same.