Charm's Choices ~ 2011

Charm

I would recommend to any fans of writers like Tess Gerritsen, Jeffrey Deaver and Erica Spindler, fantastic! :D

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the look-out for authors for my husband and he likes Tess Gerritsen (and Karin Slaughter) so these might be up his street. Do you need to read them in an order - are they a series? :)

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you say that Karen Rose books are like Karin Slaughters books?

I love books that I can't put down. I see Karen Roses books in Smyths in Newcastle for 2 for £12. Not much of a bargain so I didn't get them. I will look into getting them in the library.

To be honest, I preferred them to Karin Slaughter books. They're both very character driven but for some reason I got more caught up in the Karen Rose books. Read Don't Tell first to see what you think, I think you'd like them ;)

Ooh, thanks for the recommendation. I'm always on the look-out for authors for my husband and he likes Tess Gerritsen (and Karin Slaughter) so these might be up his street. Do you need to read them in an order - are they a series? :)

If you hubby likes Tess Gerritsen then I could nearly guarantee he'd like Richard Montanari, he writes a brilliant series starting with The Rosary Girls.

I would say the Karen Rose books do need to be read in order, but I'm a bit pedantic about things like that :blush: They're not a series as such, but characters from the first book would appear in the fourth or the eighth. It wouldn't be confusing or anything to read them out of order because each character stars as a principle in their own right, but he would have a better knowledge of each of their backgrounds if he reads them in order. If he goes on to her website, you can see how each book is related to another. They're not all linked though, just maybe with another one or two out of the whole lot. (I'm sure I'm making no sense whatsoever here :huh: )

I've been buying books again :blush:

In my defence, I'm reading a lot too! :D

This week I've bought:

Kiss Of Death by Rachel Caine

I'm Watching You by Karen Rose

Nothing To Fear by Karen Rose

You Can't Hide by Karen Rose

Count To Ten by Karen Rose

at a total of £20.49

I've finished reading The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason and I've also read Lord Of Misrule & Carpe Corpus by Rachel Caine. I'm now onto I'm Watching You by Karen Rose. I love my mojo atm! :D

If you hubby likes Tess Gerritsen then I could nearly guarantee he'd like Richard Montanari, he writes a brilliant series starting with The Rosary Girls.

Thanks - I'll check them out. :)

They're not a series as such, but characters from the first book would appear in the fourth or the eighth. It wouldn't be confusing or anything to read them out of order because each character stars as a principle in their own right, but he would have a better knowledge of each of their backgrounds if he reads them in order. If he goes on to her

I tend to buy most of his books for him anyway (I find most of them in charity shops) so I will see if I can find the first one and see what he thinks.

Thanks. :)

Have You Seen Her? ~by~ Karen Rose

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

The new thriller from Sunday Times bestseller Karen Rose. One by one, the girls disappear from their beds at night. Each one is pretty, with long dark hair. And each one is found brutally murdered. Special Agent Steven Thatcher has sworn to find the serial killer preying on this small town. As the investigation pulls him one way, his family pulls him in another. A widower haunted by loss, he now worries about his son Brad slipping away. But there's a bright light in his life: his son's teacher, Jenna Marshall, has reached out to help. She's beautiful, kind and considerate - and slowly, tentatively, she and Steven are starting to fall in love. But both have been hurt before - badly. And as the two try to find the courage to bare their souls, a murderer who has slain many looks for the real treasure he craves. He sets his traps. And waits. For Jenna...

The synopsis says it all really, apart from that it's fantastic! I couldn't wait to get my teeth into this one and it did not disappoint. Again, another thrill ride of a read from Karen Rose, which draws you in and keeps you hooked from the first chapter. Well written, well thought out plot and great characters, everything you need for a good book.

10/10

'Have you seen her?' sounds really good Charm, I am always saying I have to read more thrillers, this sounds a definite good read, great review. :)

To be honest, I preferred them to Karin Slaughter books. They're both very character driven but for some reason I got more caught up in the Karen Rose books. Read Don't Tell first to see what you think, I think you'd like them ;)

Wow, if you think Karen Rose is better than Karin Slaughter, I definitely need to give her books a go. Thanks for that :)

And by the way, I think your obsession is putting a lot of bread on Rose's table everyday :lol: If the books go out of print, I'll blame you and I'll have you lend your copies to me :giggle2:

On a more serious note: I'm happy that you're getting along so well with your mojo these days :friends3:

Edited by frankie

'Have you seen her?' sounds really good Charm, I am always saying I have to read more thrillers, this sounds a definite good read, great review. :)

Oh you should definitely read more thrillers! Start with Karen Rose's Don't Tell, I think you'll want to read more ;)

Wow, if you think Karen Rose is better than Karin Slaughter, I definitely need to give her books a go. Thanks for that :)

And by the way, I think your obsession is putting a lot of bread on Rose's table everyday :lol: If the books go out of print, I'll blame you and I'll have you lend your copies to me :giggle2:

On a more serious note: I'm happy that you're getting along so well with your mojo these days :friends3:

Aw thanks hun :hug:

Like I said to Weave, start with Don't Tell, it's the first book and one of my favourites :D

(If you have any problems getting them, I'd be happy to lend them to you :friends3: )

The Rest Falls Away ~by~ Colleen Gleason

Vampires have always lived among them, quietly attacking unsuspecting debutantes and dandified lords as well as hackney drivers and Bond Street milliners. If not for the vampire slayers of the Gardella family, these immortal creatures would have long taken over the world. In every generation, a Gardella is called to accept the family legacy, and this time, Victoria Gardella Grantworth is chosen, on the eve of her debut, to carry the stake. But as she moves between the crush of ballrooms and dangerous, moonlit streets, Victoria's heart is torn between London's most eligible bachelor, the Marquess of Rockley, and her enigmatic ally, Sebastian Vioget. And when she comes face to face with the most powerful vampire in history, Victoria must ultimately make the choice between duty and love.

As a gothic vampire story, I was quite looking forward to this one. However, it didn't really blow me away. The writing wasn't too bad except for the main character of Victoria, she just didn't gel with the era for me and I really didn't warm to her. The story was action packed enough and did move along well, it actually kept me interested to the end, but I'm not sure if I'll be in any hurry to get the next one in the series, unless it was a bargain.

All in all, a pretty average read.

5/10

The Morganville Vampire Series ~by~ Rachel Caine continued ...

Lord Of Misrule

Morganville. Texas. Just south of normal. In the college town of Morganville, vampires and humans coexist in (relatively) bloodless harmony. Then comes Bishop, a master vampire who threatens to abolish all order, revive the forces of the evil dead, and let chaos rule. But Bishop isn't the only threat. Violent black clouds promise a storm of devastating proportions. As student Claire Danvers and her friends prepare to defend Morganville against the elements - both natural and unnatural - the unexpected happens: Morganville's vampires begin to vanish one by one. Discovering why leads Claire to one last choice: swear allegiance to Bishop...or die.

Carpe Corpus

In the small town of Morganville, vampires and humans lived in (relative) peace - until all the rules got rewritten when the evil vampire Bishop arrived, looking for the lost book of vampire secrets. He's kept a death grip on the town ever since. Now an underground resistance is brewing, and in order to contain it, Bishop must go to even greater lengths. He vows to obliterate the town and all its inhabitants - the living and the undead. Claire Danvers and her friends are the only ones who stand in his way. But even if they defeat Bishop, will the vampires ever be content to go back to the old rules, after having had such a taste of power?

This would have to be up there as one of my favourite young adult series, it just keeps getting better and better. The writing flows well making the books a quick read (I read Lord Of Misrule in 5 hrs) and the storyline just keeps you wanting to know more. Added to that the fact that I love the main characters, I would definitely recommend these books to anyone who is a fan of young adult fantasy vampire books.

9/10

I'm Watching You ~by~ Karen Rose

Synopsis Courtesy Of Waterstone's:

Star prosecutor Kristen Mayhew has a dangerous, secret admirer. He seems to knows her every thought, her every move. He sends her letters. And he kills the criminals she herself is powerless to stop. This avenger even knows Kristen's deepest secret - the one that has made her keep her distance from Abe Reagan, the police detective sent to protect her. In the shadow of a calculating serial killer, the two have no alternative but to work together if they are to stop the messages and halt the vicious murders. Because sooner or later, the killer's obsessive need for retribution will make Kristen a target and then their real problems will begin...

Wow! I cannot rave about this author enough. Yet again she delivered another brilliant read which I devoured! Her books have it all, gruesome murders & serial killers, fantastic characters, love & romance (not for YA ;) ) and a roller coaster of a storyline. The only downside is that they do tend to be a bit formulaic, although, I don't care. I'm loving them and so is my mojo! Highly recommend!

10/10

Like I said to Weave, start with Don't Tell, it's the first book and one of my favourites :D

(If you have any problems getting them, I'd be happy to lend them to you :friends3: )

Don't Tell, check! Thanks Charm :) And don't worry, I've seen loads of Karen Rose books in the charityshops, I've just never known that they're good so haven't ever bought one. I'm pretty sure I'll find them in the library as well.

Omg, you would love them! I thought you read them, have you not? Trust me, get your hands on them, you will whizz through them! :wink:

I will definitely get a hold of them hen :)

Oh you should definitely read more thrillers! Start with Karen Rose's Don't Tell, I think you'll want to read more ;)

I have added it to my tbr pile, it sounds great :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing To Fear ~by~ Karen Rose

Sue Conway is out of control. Recently released from prison she is determined to find the people responsible for putting her there and to give them a taste of what she has had to endure. When Sue kidnaps an eleven-year-old deaf boy it's only the first stage in an elaborate plan. Running to Chicago, Sue poses as a battered woman and it leads her to Hanover House, an inner-city women's shelter, run by Dana Dupinsky. Dana safeguards many secrets in her own life and in the lives of those around her but she would never harbour a murderer, that is if she knew that one was living at the shelter. Distracted by the presence of a new man in her life, Dana only realises the danger when those around suddenly start dying and she is thrust into the middle of Sue's dangerous and evil game...

You Can't Hide ~by~ Karen Rose

A psychiatrist is bound to her patients by confidentiality but do ethics always override catching a murderer? You don't know who I am. Someone is tormenting psychiatrist Tess Ciccotelli's patients, pushing them to commit suicide, and setting her up to take the blame. But even police pressure won't make her break her oath to protect their secrets. You can't stop what I am doing. Detective Aidan Reagan understands Tess's need to safeguard her clients but all the clues suggest that a nameless, faceless enemy is set on destroying her career, her family and, finally, Tess herself. You can't hide. As Reagan and Tess race to stop the killer, one thing becomes clear -- the noose is tightening around Tess's neck and there is nowhere for her to go...

Count To Ten ~by~ Karen Rose

A young boy and his brother are abandoned by their mother and end up in the foster-care system. Let down by everyone who should have looked out for them, the boys fall prey to the abusers they meet. Is it any wonder one of them loses his mind and develops a taste for matches and revenge? Years later, Reed Solliday, of Chicago's Fire Department, is determined to find an arsonist whose actions have just escalated to murder. With the police now involved, Reed is paired with Detective Mia Mitchell, on her first assignment since her father's death and her partner's shooting. Solliday and Mitchell know the violence is escalating and the death toll is rising. With no apparent connection between the deaths, they are at a loss until their attention focuses on a young offenders institution and the misfits within...Take a breath. Count to ten. And watch their world explode..

Karen Rose has quickly become one of my favourite authors. I love how the characters in her books all have a connection somehow, yet you could pick one at random and enjoy a fantastic read. Although the books tend to follow the same formula or pattern, each one is a well written thrill of a read which I quickly become totally absorbed in. Fantastic!

10/10

Fade Out ~by~ Rachel Caine

Morganville Vampire Series book 7

Without the evil vampire Bishop ruling over the town of Morganville, the resident vampires have made major concessions to the human population. With their newfound freedom, Claire Danvers and her friends are almost starting to feel comfortable again...Now Claire can actually concentrate on her studies, and her friend Eve joins the local theatre company. But when one of Eve's castmates goes missing after starting work on a short documentary, Eve suspects the worst. Claire and Eve soon realise that this film project, whose subject is the vampires themselves, is a whole lot bigger - and way more dangerous - than anyone suspected.

This is another fantastic installment in the Morganville Vampire series. You know you're gonna enjoy a great little read the moment you start and it doesn't disappoint. Full of adventure, frights and even romance, this series is a must read for those who are fans of the young adult vampire genre.

8/10

Flesh House ~by~ Stuart MacBride

Aberdeen is panicking. It's been eighteen years since Grampian Police caught the Flesher -- the notorious serial killer who butchered people all over the UK -- and seven years since he was released from Peterhead prison, his conviction overturned on appeal. But when a container full of joints of human meat turns up at Aberdeen Harbour, it kicks off the largest man hunt in Aberdeen's history. Ken Wiseman is on the run and looking for revenge. Detective Sergeant Logan McRae is lumbered with the unenviable task of babysitting Chief Constable Mark Faulds from Birmingham -- one of the original investigation team -- and trying to keep DI Insch from throwing his career away in his obsessive quest to see Wiseman behind bars before he kills again. When members of the team that put Wiseman away in 1990 start going missing, Logan knows that things aren't as straightforward as everyone thinks. More and more human meat is turning up in the food chain. Twenty years of secrets and lies are being dragged into the light.And the only thing that's certain is Aberdeen will never be the same again.

This has to be my favourite MacBride read yet. The storyline is well thought out, full of surprises and written with enough humour to keep it believable. Stuart MacBride is a genious when it comes to Scottish wit and language and writes a plotline full of twists and turns which keeps you hooked throughout. Highly recommended to those who like their thrillers gritty and gory with an injection of humour.

9/10

Silent Scream ~by~ Karen Rose

Four college kids set fire to a supposedly empty condominium block. But when they see the young girl at an upper-floor window desperately banging on the glass, clawing to get out, they realise their mistake. Although they don't all agree, the group leave the girl to her certain death, little realising that someone is there, watching their every move. Someone who has a nasty habit of blackmail and sees an opportunity for profit which is far greater than any they have ever had before. For local fire fighter David Hunter, getting the blaze under control is hard enough, but when he finds the girl's body he realises that this arson attack has become a murder case and the homicide cops are immediately called in. Now, as David works with the cops, it's a race to find the arsonists, and the blackmailer, before events escalate out of all control.

The synopsis doesn't do this book justice, there is so much more to it. The story is jam packed full of twists and turns which, yet again, take you to a thrilling conclusion. I cannot get enough of this author and will definitely be buying more.

10/10

Wow, your mojo has well and truly returned, hasn't it?! :lol:

It has it's moments :lol: Karen Rose books are really easy to read, even though they're usually big chunky things, I just get hooked!

It's definitely making up for last year's AWOLness :D Oh my goodness Charm, you've already read eighteen (18!!!) books this year! You're a machine :friends3:

Aw thanks frankie! I'm making the most of it, I hope it hangs around for at least ..oh... 3 years? :giggle2:

Wow a lot of reading being done. I have another Karen Rose waiting to be read can't wait to start it now

Oooh which one? It's probably better to read them in order, they're a bit like the J R Ward BDB series in that they focus on a character who knows, or has some sort of connection to one of the other principle character/s. Check out her website, there's a chart which explains all :wink:Book Relationships Like I said, they are a bit samey, but I love the characters and the way she writes :)

Hey Charm, the Karen Rose I have is You Can't Hide started it this morning and its good, she does remind me of a good Erica Spindler or even some good Linda Howard (not the straight romance ones but the thrillers) or even Alex Kava I think I had read so many of these type of books a few year ago that I was going through a negative thing with the first one I read, but so far this is very enjoyable might get me back reading this type of thriller again.

Hey Charm, the Karen Rose I have is You Can't Hide started it this morning and its good, she does remind me of a good Erica Spindler or even some good Linda Howard (not the straight romance ones but the thrillers) or even Alex Kava I think I had read so many of these type of books a few year ago that I was going through a negative thing with the first one I read, but so far this is very enjoyable might get me back reading this type of thriller again.

Oh I'm so glad you're enjoying You Can't Hide :D I hope you get the chance to read the rest of them too, I really need to get on and order the ones I don't have yet ;)

My mojo is waning :( I don't know why, I'm reading Life Support by Tess Gerritsen but I just can't seem to get into it. :irked: Strange really, I usually like her stuff.

Oh I'm so glad you're enjoying You Can't Hide :D I hope you get the chance to read the rest of them too, I really need to get on and order the ones I don't have yet ;)

My mojo is waning :( I don't know why, I'm reading Life Support by Tess Gerritsen but I just can't seem to get into it. :irked: Strange really, I usually like her stuff.

Right I have just finished it and enjoyed it, I did guess the killer before it happened but still thought it was well written and a really good read. I would say don't bother with that Tess Gerritsen it is so not one of her good ones, she wrote a few stinkers before she got onto the good ones, don't ruin your mojo with it.