Charm's Choices ~ 2011

Charm

The Killing Place by Tess Gerritsen

Synopsis

He watches. Something terrible has happened in the snowbound village of Kingdom Come, Wyoming. Twelve eerily identical houses stand dark and abandoned. The people who lived in them appear to have vanished, seemingly into thin air. He waits. Maura Isles is driving through the area with a group of friends when they find themselves trapped in a snowstorm. They stumble into the abandoned village to take shelter. But their nightmare has only just begun. They Disappear. Days later, Jane Rizzoli flies to Wyoming to search for her missing friend. A crashed vehicle has been found with four badly burned bodies still inside. Can one of the corpses be Maura's? Jane's hunt for the truth leads her to Kingdom Come. Where the person who was watching Maura now lies waiting for her ...

The continuation of the Rizzoli/Isles series sees Tess bring the books back on form. In this installment the plot moved along swiftly ending in a cracking twist which I didn't see coming. Throughout the story the author kept the tension level high, while conveying the desperation and emotions from the characters brilliantly. A real page turner which I couldn't put down, especially during the second half.

If you've enjoyed the rest of this series, this one will not disappoint. If you haven't read this series and are a fan of crime thrillers, I recommend you do!

9/10

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been on here or checking in in way too long, sorry folks! :blush: So, I figure it's time to update my books before I completely loose track. My mojo left me for a bit so just a few books to add with a few comments :)

Erica Spindler - Blood Vines 7/10 ..... A bit slow to start but picked up.

Patricia Briggs - Moon Called 8/10

Patricia Briggs - Blood Bound 8/10

Patricia Briggs - Iron Kissed 9/10

.... Loved this series and will definitely be reading more! Lots of action plots and plenty of likeable characters.

Kresley Cole - A Hunger Like No Other 7/10

Kresley Cole - No Rest For The Wicked 8/10

Kresley Cole - Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night 8/10

Kresley Cole - Dark Deeds at Night's Edge 9/10

Kresley Cole - Dark Desires After Dusk 10/10

Kresley Cole - Kiss Of A Demon King 8/10

Kresley Cole - Pleasures of a Dark Prince 9/10

Kresley Cole - Demon From The Dark 7/10

Kresley Cole - Dreams of a Dark Warrior 7/10

.. Again, really enjoyed this series and would be one of my favourites. Ubersexy characters with action packed tales, cannot wait for the next to be released!

Christine Feehan - Dark Magic 7/10 ... Guilty pleasure books! Not fantastic storylines but love the characters.

Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking 7/10 ... Waning mojo hindered this read. Good book though, slightly different take on things but I did end up enjoying it and will read more of the series.

Heather Killough-Walden - Always Angel 9/10 ... An author who never disappoints me. Plenty of thrills and great storylines.

Felicity Heaton - Her Dark Angel 6/10 .... Slightly disappointed with this considering I loved her Prophecy series so much. Will still probably read more of the series, my experience tells me not all books in the one series are outstanding! ;)

Lights, Camera, Monsters: Monsters in Hollywood 4/10 ... Likeable enough characters but not much of a storyline. Basically just sex, well written sex mind you but did get a bit boring after a while.

This all takes me up to a grand total of 105 books this year so far, I've surpassed my 100 book target! :yahoo: I do put my kindle down as the reason for so many reads (agree pickle? :giggle: ) , it's so easy to use and easy to get good books at a good price! ;)

Oh I agree totally (dam that easy Kindle) glad you liked the Kresley Cole brill escapist stuff and am looking forward to Lothaire next year its on my wish list already :rolleyes:

Ohhhh yes, I'll definitely be getting Lothaire's story when it comes out, can't wait! ;)

:lurker: I'm not looking at the above posts until after Christmas when I have time to buy and read more books :giggle2:

Awww, are you suuurree? I think you'd really like the Patrica Briggs books and the Heather Killough Walden's sexy Big Bad Wolf Series! Full to the brim with gorgeous werewolves, it has all the elements of a good supe series including witches, magic and vampires! ;)

I've just added another to my read list:

Born To Darkness; Book 1 in the Immortal Destiny Series by Lorraine Kennedy 6/10

... It wasn't rocket science and it's not particularly well written. But, I liked the characters and it does have potential to be a great series, so I will probably read more of these books.

Awww, are you suuurree? I think you'd really like the Patrica Briggs books and the Heather Killough Walden's sexy Big Bad Wolf Series! Full to the brim with gorgeous werewolves, it has all the elements of a good supe series including witches, magic and vampires! ;)

I've just added another to my read list:

Born To Darkness; Book 1 in the Immortal Destiny Series by Lorraine Kennedy 6/10

... It wasn't rocket science and it's not particularly well written. But, I liked the characters and it does have potential to be a great series, so I will probably read more of these books.

I've already got the Patricia Briggs on my wishlist, and I read the first one of the Big Bad Wolf Series a little while back when you recommended it, so I've got those on my wishlist as well!

I haven't been on here or checking in in way too long, sorry folks! :blush: So, I figure it's time to update my books before I completely loose track. My mojo left me for a bit so just a few books to add with a few comments :)

Erica Spindler - Blood Vines 7/10 ..... A bit slow to start but picked up.

Patricia Briggs - Moon Called 8/10

Patricia Briggs - Blood Bound 8/10

Patricia Briggs - Iron Kissed 9/10

.... Loved this series and will definitely be reading more! Lots of action plots and plenty of likeable characters.

Kresley Cole - A Hunger Like No Other 7/10

Kresley Cole - No Rest For The Wicked 8/10

Kresley Cole - Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night 8/10

Kresley Cole - Dark Deeds at Night's Edge 9/10

Kresley Cole - Dark Desires After Dusk 10/10

Kresley Cole - Kiss Of A Demon King 8/10

Kresley Cole - Pleasures of a Dark Prince 9/10

Kresley Cole - Demon From The Dark 7/10

Kresley Cole - Dreams of a Dark Warrior 7/10

.. Again, really enjoyed this series and would be one of my favourites. Ubersexy characters with action packed tales, cannot wait for the next to be released!

Christine Feehan - Dark Magic 7/10 ... Guilty pleasure books! Not fantastic storylines but love the characters.

Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking 7/10 ... Waning mojo hindered this read. Good book though, slightly different take on things but I did end up enjoying it and will read more of the series.

Heather Killough-Walden - Always Angel 9/10 ... An author who never disappoints me. Plenty of thrills and great storylines.

Felicity Heaton - Her Dark Angel 6/10 .... Slightly disappointed with this considering I loved her Prophecy series so much. Will still probably read more of the series, my experience tells me not all books in the one series are outstanding! ;)

Lights, Camera, Monsters: Monsters in Hollywood 4/10 ... Likeable enough characters but not much of a storyline. Basically just sex, well written sex mind you but did get a bit boring after a while.

This all takes me up to a grand total of 105 books this year so far, I've surpassed my 100 book target! :yahoo: I do put my kindle down as the reason for so many reads (agree pickle? :giggle: ) , it's so easy to use and easy to get good books at a good price! ;)

And this when you have problems with your mojo...?! ;)

I've already got the Patricia Briggs on my wishlist, and I read the first one of the Big Bad Wolf Series a little while back when you recommended it, so I've got those on my wishlist as well!

Good to hear! They just get better and better. Heather is also a lovely author who actually responds to enquirys ;)

And this when you have problems with your mojo...?! ;)

Well, that was all since the beginning of Sept. I've also to add another two :blush: I do have to say though, they're all easy reads, nothing too taxing and I kinda know what to expect. But I'm really not in the mood for heavy reading at the min so, what mojo wants, mojo gets ;)

Whistling casually I am popping onto Amazon to look at the books....only looking mind :ph34r:

Check out Carinian's Seeker by T J Micheals - another guilty pleasure read that I think you'll like ;)

Did I say that out loud???? :o *slowly walks away whistling with hands behind back*

Edited by Charm

Just added another two to my read list:

Tina Folsom - A Touch Of Greek (Out of Olympus #1) 7/10

... The start of another adult/paranormal/fantasy series, this time about greek gods. Not too bad actually, will probably read more.

T J Micheals - Carinian's Seeker: Vampire Council of Ethics bk 1 8/10

... I stumbled on this by accident and am glad I did. Yes, it's another adult/paranormal/romance (what can I say? My mojo is happy :blush:) but this time there was a pretty decent storyline so I'm sure the sequels will accidently download onto my kindle sometime .... soon .... *coughtodaycough*

*cough cough* have you tried Thea Harrison's Elder Races. v addictive......I am going now possibly to look up some stuff on Amazon.........

Oh not yet! ... I mean, no I haven't :blush: I dare say I will though lol I'm currently addicted to Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series on my kindle, up to book number 5 at the minute and loving them, very JR Wardish ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just added the latest two I've read in the Midnight Breed series to my read list, Shades of Midnight and Taken by Midnight by Lara Adrian; both very enjoyable indeed. Have gotten Witchfinder: Dawn of the Demontide by William Hussey out to read but haven't actually started it - really need to get those xmas cards finished! ;)

I never did too well with Hussey's Witchfinder series. I was really looking forward to it because Through A Glass, Darkly is one of my favourite books ever, but I found the first Witchfinder book a real struggle and never finished it. I hope you get on better with it than I did :)

I never did too well with Hussey's Witchfinder series. I was really looking forward to it because Through A Glass, Darkly is one of my favourite books ever, but I found the first Witchfinder book a real struggle and never finished it. I hope you get on better with it than I did :)

Don't say that, my mojo is waning again and I'm having to force myself to read this last couple of days so I hope the book picks up! :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad you liked the mercy Thompson series, I just love those books. Do you know, that there is another series from Patricia briggs, which is set in the same world as the Mercy books? I haven#t read those yet, though they're waiting on the shelf already.

I didn't know that, thanks lopeanha! I will definitely be on the look out for them, I really enjoyed the Mercy series books I've read :)

Charm, your signature suggests you've read 116 books so far this year :o Bloody hell, that's a whole lotta books :D Such a great reading year for you, this one, aye? Happy times! I wish you a just as excellent reading year 2012 :friends3:

Thanks hun, I hope 2012 is an excellent year for you too, although I'm sure you've read way more! ;)

I'm pretty pleased with my reading total this year, I've well passed my target which is always good. I hope my mojo returns soon and 2012 is even better.

Thank you all who posted in my thread, you've helped inspire me and motivate me to read more and I hope everyone has a brilliant reading year in 2012! :D

Hey Shin! :D

No, not yet. I will get around to it, it's just I have no mojo atm, I've had a lot on my mind and no interest in reading ( :o ) I know! Scary innit? I have been buying books on my kindle today though, that usually gets me going again so I won't be worrying too much ;)