Charm's Choices ~ 2011

Charm

I've read The Dirt a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. Very interesting. At times very disgusting. Also funny. Read it and listen to their music as you do so. Oh, and watch out for the part Lorelai reads at the Gilmore Girls. :rolol:

Edited by lopeanha

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read The Dirt a few years ago and I really enjoyed it. Very interesting. At times very disgusting. Also funny. Read it and listen to their music as you do so. Oh, and watch out for the part Lorelai reads at the Gilmore Girls. :rolol:

Hehe, she was like totally grossed out by the book, thinking out loud that it couldn't get any worse, and then she read on and said 'but it does' or something like that. And she was like 'this is such an awesome book!' So funny :D

I have to confess that I didn't know anything about Mötley Crüe's music before reading the book but I got really curious and listened to their very first album after that and I gotta say, it was actually pretty good.

Edited by frankie

Okaaay ... now I am really curious about The Dirt! I haven't heard any of the Motely Crue's music in years and can't even remember their stuff. I did watch a couple of programmes with Tommy Lee in them and he was quite funny in parts. I will definitely be looking at this further .... nothing to do with the 'very disgusting' parts of course :giggle2:

Charm, Sins of the Night sounds like a nice read (I may just put it on my Wishlist ~ if I can fit it :smile2: ). So glad you are enjoying the Morganville Vampire series and you have zoomed passed me....Feast of Fools is my next read in the series. I didn't get to Bargain Books at the weekend but I am definitely getting in there this weekend to get them. :wink:

Hehe, I'm pleased to hear you're getting more curious by the moment! :giggle: lopeanha, we should make a pact to come over here and harass Charm with details about the book til she buys it and reads it! :giggle2:

You wouldn't! :o ... oh wait, you would! :hide:

Charm, Sins of the Night sounds like a nice read (I may just put it on my Wishlist ~ if I can fit it :smile2: ). So glad you are enjoying the Morganville Vampire series and you have zoomed passed me....Feast of Fools is my next read in the series. I didn't get to Bargain Books at the weekend but I am definitely getting in there this weekend to get them. :wink:

I rather enjoyed Sins Of The Night, then I found out it was the 4th book in a series and I'd missed out the previous two, I hate when that happens. The first is Fantasy Lover, not just as good but a quick read and good for an in between read ;)

I've just finished Feast Of Fools and feel exhausted, there was so much action in it! So ..... I've decided to take a break from Morganville, even though I have the next two TBR, and save them for when my mojo deserts me again. I thought it was time for something more grown up, I've read so much YA lately and decided on Don't Tell by Karen Rose. I've heard great things about this author but never actually read anything by her yet, hope my mojo sticks around! :blush:

I don't think I could read two Morganville Vampire books in a row because there is a lot of action.

So I understand you needing a break. I think I would be the same with the Vampire Chronicles. The Vampire Lestat is quite a read. :smile2:

I have seen a few books by Karen Rose but I will wait until your reviews before putting her onto my wishlist. :smile2:

Edited by Shin

Morganville Vampire Series ~by~ Rachel Caine

Glass Houses

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they come out fighting when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

The Dead Girls' Dance

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favours beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

Midnight Alley

Morganville is such a nice place to live...and die. If you don't mind that sort of thing. When Claire Danvers learnt that her college town was run by vampires, she did what any intelligent, self-preserving student would do: she applied for a transfer and stocked up on garlic. The transfer is no longer an option, but that garlic may come in handy. Now Claire has pledged herself to Amelie, the most powerful vampire in town. The protection her contract secures does little to reassure her friends. All of a sudden, people are turning up dead, a stalker resurfaces from Claire's past, and an ancient bloodsucker extends a chilling invitation for private lessons in his secluded home.

Feast Of Fools

It was hard to imagine how Claire's day could get any worse...and then the vampires holding her hostage wanted breakfast. In the town of Morganville, vampires and humans have learned to live in relative peace. Still, Claire Danvers knows that after dark, her homework can take a backseat to staying alive. But this tenuous harmony is really turned on its head with the arrival of Mr Bishop. Bad to the bone, the ancient old-school vampire cares nothing about keeping the peace. Staying at the top of the food chain is enough. What he wants from the town's living and dead is unthinkably sinister. It's only at a formal ball attended by vampires and their human dates that Claire realises Bishop's plan - and the elaborately evil trap he's set for the warm-blooded souls of Morganville.

These are the first four books in the Morganville Vampire series, I almost read each one in a day. They are totally engrossing and unputdownable, there's so much going on that you just want to keep finding out what happens next! I adored the main characters and have loved how each of their storylines have progressed during the series so far. Yes it is another young adult series, and yes, yet more vampires, but the vampires in this one are actually dangerous! If you're a fan of the young adult supernatural genre then I can whole heartedly recommend this series, and I will definitely be reading more.

8/10

Edited by Charm

Don't Tell ~by~ Karen Rose

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

A woman fakes her own death in order to escape her abusive husband, but what happens when he finds out what she did? Desperate Mary Grace Winters knew the only way to save herself and her child from her abusive husband was to stage their deaths. Now all that remains of her former life is at the bottom of a lake. As Caroline Stewart, Mary Grace has almost forgotten the nightmare she left behind nine years ago. Slowly she has learned to believe that her new life, and new identity, is here to stay. Then her husband uncovers her hidden trail. Step by step he's closing in on her and everyone she loves. Now Caroline must decide whether to flee again or whether the time has come to stay and fight...

This is the first book I have read by this author and it totally hooked me in from the start. The story moved along nicely while slowly unravelling to reveal the characters' history underneath. Even know you know who the villain is, you're always just waiting for that moment to jump out at you where he swoops in for the kill. A fantastic, sometimes disturbing thriller from an author I will definitely be reading more of.

10/10

Good to see you're enjoying the Morganville Vampires so much, Charm. Even if you're taking a break now, at least if your mojo wanders off, you know you can come back to these to kick start it again! :D

Oh absolutely! They'll be the first thing I go for if it does a runner :lol: Luckily enough, Karen Rose appears to be keeping it suitably entertained ;)

So glad you are liking the Morganville Vampires too Charm.

I finally got to Bargain Books in Lisburn to get the books.

It is not called Bargain Books anymore, it's The Works.

Anyway, got Feast of Fools right through to book nine. I am a happy bunny. :D

Love you review of Don't Tell by Karen Rose. I have seen that book and author above so might just put her on my wishlist. I love books that grip you from the beginning.

I called in to Bargain Books (or The Works as it is now called too) today Shin, hoping to get the last ones in the series but they didn't have book 8. I did get 7 & 9 though. They did say they were getting more in and it's still cheap at £1.99 each, so I'll call in again soon ;)

I have added to my books bought list again, I just couldn't resist :blush:

I bought today

The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason

Fade Out by Rachel Caine

Ghost Town by Rachel Caine

all 3 for a fiver :D

Have You Seen Her? by Karen Rose - £3.99 in a sale

The Ghosts Of Sleath by James Herbert (Hardback) - £1.89 in a charity shop

Total £10.88 :D

Nice haul, Charm! You can't pass up such great book bargains :D.

Great buys hen! :)

Great haul Charm. I think that The Works has a better selection than Bargain Book did.

thank you ladies! I don't think my inner 'buy less this year' voice is shouting loud enough, my 'buy buy buy' voice is all I can hear! :giggle2:

Morganville Vampire Series ~by~ Rachel Caine

Glass Houses

College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation, where the popular girls never let her forget just where she ranks in the school's social scene: somewhere less than zero. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they come out fighting when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood...

The Dead Girls' Dance

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favours beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

Midnight Alley

Morganville is such a nice place to live...and die. If you don't mind that sort of thing. When Claire Danvers learnt that her college town was run by vampires, she did what any intelligent, self-preserving student would do: she applied for a transfer and stocked up on garlic. The transfer is no longer an option, but that garlic may come in handy. Now Claire has pledged herself to Amelie, the most powerful vampire in town. The protection her contract secures does little to reassure her friends. All of a sudden, people are turning up dead, a stalker resurfaces from Claire's past, and an ancient bloodsucker extends a chilling invitation for private lessons in his secluded home.

Feast Of Fools

It was hard to imagine how Claire's day could get any worse...and then the vampires holding her hostage wanted breakfast. In the town of Morganville, vampires and humans have learned to live in relative peace. Still, Claire Danvers knows that after dark, her homework can take a backseat to staying alive. But this tenuous harmony is really turned on its head with the arrival of Mr Bishop. Bad to the bone, the ancient old-school vampire cares nothing about keeping the peace. Staying at the top of the food chain is enough. What he wants from the town's living and dead is unthinkably sinister. It's only at a formal ball attended by vampires and their human dates that Claire realises Bishop's plan - and the elaborately evil trap he's set for the warm-blooded souls of Morganville.

These are the first four books in the Morganville Vampire series, I almost read each one in a day. They are totally engrossing and unputdownable, there's so much going on that you just want to keep finding out what happens next! I adored the main characters and have loved how each of their storylines have progressed during the series so far. Yes it is another young adult series, and yes, yet more vampires, but the vampires in this one are actually dangerous! If you're a fan of the young adult supernatural genre then I can whole heartedly recommend this series, and I will definitely be reading more.

8/10

This is another series I keep meaning to read, great reviews hen :)

This is another series I keep meaning to read, great reviews hen :)

Omg, you would love them! I thought you read them, have you not? Trust me, get your hands on them, you will whizz through them! :wink:

I totally agree...get reading them now. :wink:

I am so glad you reviwed these as I know I have read some of them but now I know it was the first 3 and I need to read the 4th (I borrowed them from the library hence my not knowing which ones I had) I have enjoyed them all so far....next stop more books :D

I am so glad you reviwed these as I know I have read some of them but now I know it was the first 3 and I need to read the 4th (I borrowed them from the library hence my not knowing which ones I had) I have enjoyed them all so far....next stop more books :D

Excellent! Good to hear :D The 4th was brilliant, one of my favourites ;)

I Can See You ~by~ Karen Rose

Synopsis by Waterstone's:

In Karen Rose's brilliant new thriller a killer is targeting the participants of an online role playing game called Shadowland. Each of the victims is be-friended by the killer online. He then stalks them in real life, murdering them in the way that they worst fear. Eve Wilson, who we previously met in NOTHING TO FEAR, is researching the game as part of her thesis on how self-esteem is affected by violence. Now she must work with Detective Noah Webster to find the murderer before the killings escalate out of all control and Eve herself becomes a target.

Karen Rose has swiftly become one of my favourite authors. This book is fast paced, well written and keeps you guessing the whole way along. (I did guess who the killer was, but changed my mind several times :huh: ) I loved the principle characters and thoroughly enjoyed reading about how their relationship progressed. Definitely an author I would recommend to any fans of writers like Tess Gerritsen, Jeffrey Deaver and Erica Spindler, fantastic! :D

10/10

Have You Seen Her? ~by~ Karen Rose

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's:

The new thriller from Sunday Times bestseller Karen Rose. One by one, the girls disappear from their beds at night. Each one is pretty, with long dark hair. And each one is found brutally murdered. Special Agent Steven Thatcher has sworn to find the serial killer preying on this small town. As the investigation pulls him one way, his family pulls him in another. A widower haunted by loss, he now worries about his son Brad slipping away. But there's a bright light in his life: his son's teacher, Jenna Marshall, has reached out to help. She's beautiful, kind and considerate - and slowly, tentatively, she and Steven are starting to fall in love. But both have been hurt before - badly. And as the two try to find the courage to bare their souls, a murderer who has slain many looks for the real treasure he craves. He sets his traps. And waits. For Jenna...

The synopsis says it all really, apart from that it's fantastic! I couldn't wait to get my teeth into this one and it did not disappoint. Again, another thrill ride of a read from Karen Rose, which draws you in and keeps you hooked from the first chapter. Well written, well thought out plot and great characters, everything you need for a good book.

10/10

Would you say that Karen Rose books are like Karin Slaughters books?

I love books that I can't put down. I see Karen Roses books in Smyths in Newcastle for 2 for £12. Not much of a bargain so I didn't get them. I will look into getting them in the library.