Charm's Choices ~ 2011

Charm

Skin Deep ~by~ Carol Davis Luce

Synopsis courtesy of Amazon:

Then

She is young, she is in love, and she is the first runner-up in a San Francisco beauty pageant. Regina Van Raven's head is filled with hopes and dreams but they're shattered in one unspeakable instant when a psychopath, obsessed with the destruction of feminine beauty, attacks her friend Corinne--the pageant winner. Corinne's life is destroyed forever and the horror lives on in Regina's heart. . .

Now

Regina's memories of the ill-fated contest have finally begun to fade. She has a successful career in television, a beautiful seventeen-year-old daughter, a whole new life. It sounds like fun when a talk show host invites the five 1970 finalists for an on-the-air reunion. But someone is waiting in the wings, ready to strike again. . .and again.

Now it's Regina's turn.

This book started off slow for me, I don't really know why, I can't put my finger on it. The writing was straightforward and easy to read and the story moved along quickly enough, but it did take me until about a third of the book to really get into it. I liked the main characters, although most of the overall characters were a bit cliche and predictable, as was the plot, with a lot of events a little too easy and convenient.

Having said all that, I still ended up enjoying it. It was a great little overall story, it was just how I like my crime thrillers - crime with a bit of romance thrown in, and will probably read more by this author.

7/10

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've now finished Skin Deep by Carol Davis Luce and am about to start The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting (in tree form, it's been ages since I held a book!) :)

I have this on my TBR pile, will be interesting to see what you think of it (oh my, that sentence sounds really wrong, grammar wise)

Skin Deep ~by~ Carol Davis Luce

Synopsis courtesy of Amazon:

Then

She is young, she is in love, and she is the first runner-up in a San Francisco beauty pageant. Regina Van Raven's head is filled with hopes and dreams but they're shattered in one unspeakable instant when a psychopath, obsessed with the destruction of feminine beauty, attacks her friend Corinne--the pageant winner. Corinne's life is destroyed forever and the horror lives on in Regina's heart. . .

Now

Regina's memories of the ill-fated contest have finally begun to fade. She has a successful career in television, a beautiful seventeen-year-old daughter, a whole new life. It sounds like fun when a talk show host invites the five 1970 finalists for an on-the-air reunion. But someone is waiting in the wings, ready to strike again. . .and again.

Now it's Regina's turn.

This book started off slow for me, I don't really know why, I can't put my finger on it. The writing was straightforward and easy to read and the story moved along quickly enough, but it did take me until about a third of the book to really get into it. I liked the main characters, although most of the overall characters were a bit cliche and predictable, as was the plot, with a lot of events a little too easy and convenient.

Having said all that, I still ended up enjoying it. It was a great little overall story, it was just how I like my crime thrillers - crime with a bit of romance thrown in, and will probably read more by this author.

7/10

Great review hen :) sounds a interesting read. :)

I have this on my TBR pile, will be interesting to see what you think of it (oh my, that sentence sounds really wrong, grammar wise)

I'm into the book already and I've only read the first 30 pages or so! :D

Great review hen :) sounds a interesting read. :)

Thanks Weave, it turned out to be ok after all and it was cheap! ;)

Thanks Weave, it turned out to be ok after all and it was cheap! ;)

Good times hen :)

Edited by Weave

The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies - or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world...and the imprints that attach to their killers. Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift, but now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him. Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer - and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling in love, Violet is getting closer to discovering a killer...and becoming his prey herself.

The Body Finder is a great little YA book which veers away from the usual vampires, werewolves and demons, but still has a supernatural twist. It is mainly a YA romance with a secondary story of a serial killer who preys on teenage girls. It handles this topic brilliantly, no gore but enough of the fear factor to make young girls think twice about who they trust. It is well written, with interesting characters and had me hooked within the first 20 pages. I will definitely be getting the next in the series.

9/10

The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting

Synopsis courtesy of Waterstone's

Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies - or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes the dead leave behind in the world...and the imprints that attach to their killers. Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift, but now that a serial killer is terrorizing her small town Violet realizes she might be the only person who can stop him. Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet find the murderer - and Violet is unnerved by her hope that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling in love, Violet is getting closer to discovering a killer...and becoming his prey herself.

The Body Finder is a great little YA book which veers away from the usual vampires, werewolves and demons, but still has a supernatural twist. It is mainly a YA romance with a secondary story of a serial killer who preys on teenage girls. It handles this topic brilliantly, no gore but enough of the fear factor to make young girls think twice about who they trust. It is well written, with interesting characters and had me hooked within the first 20 pages. I will definitely be getting the next in the series.

9/10

Fantastic review Charm! Did you remind you of the Harper Connelly series? :)

Fantastic review Charm! Did you remind you of the Harper Connelly series? :)

It did a bit yes, I took to it straight away. I loved both the main characters :D I've put it in Kookie's room, when she gets her mojo back I think she'll love it!

Hey Charmy, when you have worked your way through the cheap and cheerful if not free books on Kindle :giggle2: I have a series I think you might like by Jennifer Estep it starts with Spiders Bite which I have read as well as the second there are at least 2 more in the series.

Happy reading and I might have a look at the last one you recommended after all its the weekend and I need to read!!:D

Sounds a good one

I really enjoyed it :)

Hey Charmy, when you have worked your way through the cheap and cheerful if not free books on Kindle :giggle2: I have a series I think you might like by Jennifer Estep it starts with Spiders Bite which I have read as well as the second there are at least 2 more in the series.

Happy reading and I might have a look at the last one you recommended after all its the weekend and I need to read!!:D

Well I can't see me working my way through ALL the cheap and free ones - at least not this year! :giggle: Doesn't matter, my daughter has hijacked my kindle to read some of the cheap YA ones I downloaded so I'm reading tree again :D I will definitely check out Spiders Bite though, you know me - I love a good series ;)

However, for some people, I understand that it's not always possible to afford all the books you want to read, but hopefully, the UK libraries will be able to offer digital books on loan more widely at some point, so then at least you'd be able to get free/cheap loans of books as well, and although it's not much, hopefully these would also count towards the authors income through the PLR.

I know Essex Libraries do a fantastic assortment of eBooks for download.

Our Library Consortium (it covers five areas, one of which is Bath and North East Somerset, where I am) have just started doing downloadable audio books (eAudiobooks for MP3 players), but I asked on FB and they have no plans at the moment to do eBooks.

This is a shame, I think, and I hope it's not too long before they catch up. I'm not sure if it was you, Charm, who said about people downloading books illegally but I know of someone who does the same - I'm sure this practise would still happen if more libraries did eBooks but it might reduce the number of illegal downloads too.

I'm not sure if it was you, Charm, who said about people downloading books illegally but I know of someone who does the same - I'm sure this practise would still happen if more libraries did eBooks but it might reduce the number of illegal downloads too.

Yeah it was me, I know people who do download new titles and don't pay a penny. Like I said, I like a bargain but I won't steal them. I only get my books from Amazon, if they're free there, it's usually to get you interested in an author so you then buy more which I do. It doesn't mean I won't buy new titles or paperbacks, I guess I'm just enjoying the bargains at the minute! Unfortunately my tree book buying hasn't dwindled much, my bank balance still groans under the pressure :lol: .. I did have an epiphany the other day though, I decided not to buy any more books this year and just read what I own :huh: .... pah! Yeah right, like that lasted long ... I bought 3 paperbacks the next day! :giggle2:

Haha - that can happen! :giggle2: I resolved the same and then bought three books in a charity shop about two days later! I used my library for the first time in years though, but I still have so many 'to read' books I'm not sure why I didn't just pick up one of those!

I am tempted to get a Kindle now (having said I categorically wouldn't) but I'm frightened that I'll get out of control with the free classics - I have no willpower!

I'm frightened that I'll get out of control with the free classics - I have no willpower!

Oh I wouldn't worry, it can hold over 3000 books, loads of room for your free classics ;) ... go on, go on... you know you want to :giggle2:

It's true - I do!

</Poet>

I need to gen up on what is the difference between the £111 and the £152 version. Which do you have?

Isn't one 3G and the other just wireless? I am vaguely considering one...I just really love my 'dead tree' books

Thanks guys. :)

Michelle - I was talking to Peter about them in the car earlier and he basically said the same, so I think I'll go for the cheaper one. My only concern is that I'm sure the second I buy it, they'll upgrade it or something, but then as it's for reading books I don't suppose that'll change so it won't matter that much! :)

Yip, the only difference is the 3G. I have the £111 one with wifi which suits me fine. I can't ever see myself downloading a book if I'm out and I always browse the books on Amazon on my laptop. If I want one I just use the wifi home hub and send it to my kindle from Amazon, it only takes a few seconds to download a book, it's great! :D

Janet, Like Charm and Michlele have said only get the more expensive one if you do a lot of travelling, I like Charm download a load of books from my laptop turn my kindle on at home it automatically goes into WiFi and hey presto the book is there.

As for buying loads of books join the, as Charm put it 'Kindilitis' club its exclusive and wonderful if a little frightening at times how much you can read....but such fun!!!

Hi Janet I have the cheap one too, it does me just fine, and as pickle says the books download instantaneously it is so cool. You need a case to slip the kindle into though to protect it, a guy at work didn't have one and he broke his by dropping it. I got a leather case off ebay for £10. (The amazon one is £40 and has a built in light but I don't want to read in the dark anyway)

Sorry Charm to hijack your thread :blush:

Janet, I've not heard any rumours about them upgrading at all. :)

Nope, me neither :shrug:

As for buying loads of books join the, as Charm put it 'Kindilitis' club its exclusive and wonderful if a little frightening at times how much you can read....but such fun!!!

It's a disease I tell you ... and it's out to get us all!!! Mwahahaha ....

Me? I offered myself up as a sacrifice to save all your souls, I must download and read, it's a burden I gladly carry for you lot! :P

Hi Janet I have the cheap one too, it does me just fine, and as pickle says the books download instantaneously it is so cool. You need a case to slip the kindle into though to protect it, a guy at work didn't have one and he broke his by dropping it. I got a leather case off ebay for £10. (The amazon one is £40 and has a built in light but I don't want to read in the dark anyway)

Sorry Charm to hijack your thread :blush:

:lol: no probs VF :friends3:

I would say though that I've read negative reviews about the covers with the built in light. They apparently clip into the kindle somehow and can cause it to freeze, they're also bloody expensive! I bought 2 covers from Amazon, both of which I got for £30. There are loads on there, starting from as little as a fiver. I then bought a separate clip on light, much better I feel ;)

Edited by Charm

Thanks for the extra input, guys. I am going to wait until after the school holidays (I think) in case I need to spend any extra money, but I've decided I'm definitely going for it - the £111 jobby (£99.90 from Tesco with staff discount) and a cover to go with it. :D