Ruth's reading in 2011

Ruth

Wasn't too sure about Unless - I just couldn't really take to the main character/narrator, and the story moved along too slowly. Not that I always need fast paced books, but I just found this one a bit....dull really.

I completely agree. The premise of the novel was okay and I was expecting a good read, but I just wasn't touched by the characters or what happened to them. Dull, just like you said. :rolleyes:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jasper Fforde's writing probably polarises readers - as you say, people have different tastes, and I definitely think he's a writer who people will either love or hate. I couldn't read two books of his in a row, I think his style might get tedious after a while, but to read his books occasionally seems to work for me.

I'd have to agree about reading him - definitely smaller doses improves the taste! I have to say that whilst I thought the original Eyre Affair was the best, I loved The Big Over Easy, and thought as good as or better than most the Eyre Affair sequels.

Day 29 - a book everyone hated but you liked.

Carnavale, by Michelle Lovric. I read this for the reading group at the local library. Only one other person in the group apart from myself finished it, and she didn't particularly enjoy it. Nobody else liked it enough to finish it, but I quite liked it, and have added another book by the author to my wishlist.

Just catching up on some thread reading - loved reading through your 30-day challenge in its entirety. I've not read Carnavale yet, but loved The Floating Book - another set in Venice. Quite a meaty read. Unless it's very different in style, I'm surprised that such a high proportion of your group were so anti - you always get some, but only you in favour?!

Edited by willoyd

I really enjoyed it as well....unfortunately "Sultan" didn't like the way he was portrayed when her book came out and supposedly wrote one 'in response' have you heard/read it by any chance?

No, I didn't know he's written a book in response, but I know he took her to court (interestingly though, it wasn't for libel, but for invasion of privacy). I was disappointed in Sultan really - he was clearly very intelligent and progressive - but not when it came to his own family.

I completely agree. The premise of the novel was okay and I was expecting a good read, but I just wasn't touched by the characters or what happened to them. Dull, just like you said. :rolleyes:

I'm glad it wasn't just me! Thing was I'd really been looking forward to reading it too - ah well, you live and learn :)

I'd have to agree about reading him - definitely smaller doses improves the taste! I have to say that whilst I thought the original Eyre Affair was the best, I loved The Big Over Easy, and thought as good as or better than most the Eyre Affair sequels.

Just catching up on some thread reading - loved reading through your 30-day challenge in its entirety. I've not read Carnavale yet, but loved The Floating Book - another set in Venice. Quite a meaty read. Unless it's very different in style, I'm surprised that such a high proportion of your group were so anti - you always get some, but only you in favour?!

I loved the idea of The Big Over Easy, but I just felt like he had crow-barred in some of the references to nursery rhymes/fairy tales, just for the sake of including them. It didn't put me off trying his others though, and I'm really looking forward to reading Shades of Grey (when I get to it).

I was surprised that most of the group didn't like Carnevale. In fact, only three of us finished it, and the other two weren't overkeen at all. All the others said they gave up because they just didn't like the narrator or any of the characters. It was a book I thought they would have really enjoyed as well! So it was just me who thought it was a good read. I bought her latest novel, The Book of Human Skin, recently. It's had mixed reviews, but generally more favourable than unfavourable.

Edited by Ruth

I bought her latest novel, The Book of Human Skin, recently. It's had mixed reviews, but generally more favourable than unfavourable.

Yes, I've just bought that too, yesterday, as part of a 3 for 2 on all fiction at the Edinburgh Waterstones.

Well, last night I stayed up late to finish The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. I didn't stay up because I was enjoying it so much and couldn't put it down; it was more a case of wanting to get it finished so I could start something else. I'm going against the grain I think, but I was disappointed by this book. The twist at the end was just too unbelievable for me, and I thought the prose rambled far too much.

About to start something that is (hopefully a bit more light hearted - French Women Don't Get Fat, by Mireille Guiliano :)

I'm glad it wasn't just me! Thing was I'd really been looking forward to reading it too - ah well, you live and learn :)

No no, it definitely isn't just you. What's more, I think Shield has a reputation of being a good writer and since she also wrote a biography of Jane Austen that I've read and enjoyed, I think we've been led to believe that Unless would be great! :rolleyes:

Well!! I've just finished reading French Women Don't Get Fat, by Mireille Guiliano. Sorry to say - I intensely disliked this book, for reasons far too numerous to mention, but some of which are that her attitude was incredibly condescending, many of her recommendations were just not practical for anyone living on a 'normal' budget', and the fact that some of the things she recommends are simply not healthy. I didn't need or want to lose weight, but I did hope to gain some insight into people's psychological problems with food. I was so disappointed, but I guess you can't like every book you pick up!

I'm about to start Time For One More Dance, by Charlotte Sadler. One of the main characters in this book is Gene Kelly (although it is fiction), and I adore Gene, so hopefully this will be a more enjoyable read!

Well, last night I stayed up late to finish The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry. I didn't stay up because I was enjoying it so much and couldn't put it down; it was more a case of wanting to get it finished so I could start something else. I'm going against the grain I think, but I was disappointed by this book. The twist at the end was just too unbelievable for me, and I thought the prose rambled far too much.

I was relieved to have finish The Secret Scripture too I thought it was dire. I spent the first 2/3rds of the book not having a clue what was going on and then the last third having worked it all out and being very disappointed that I was actually correct as it was too unblieveable for me too.

Due to your good judgement of the above I shall now be avoiding French Women Don't Get Fat.

Well!! I've just finished reading French Women Don't Get Fat, by Mireille Guiliano. Sorry to say - I intensely disliked this book, for reasons far too numerous to mention, but some of which are that her attitude was incredibly condescending, many of her recommendations were just not practical for anyone living on a 'normal' budget', and the fact that some of the things she recommends are simply not healthy. I didn't need or want to lose weight, but I did hope to gain some insight into people's psychological problems with food. I was so disappointed, but I guess you can't like every book you pick up!

Can only completely agree with your assessment. Read it some time ago, can't remember why as it's not my usual sort of book, and thought it complete rubbish.

I was relieved to have finish The Secret Scripture too I thought it was dire. I spent the first 2/3rds of the book not having a clue what was going on and then the last third having worked it all out and being very disappointed that I was actually correct as it was too unblieveable for me too.

Due to your good judgement of the above I shall now be avoiding French Women Don't Get Fat.

:) We discussed The Secret Scripture at our F2F book club last night...everyone was pretty much of the same opinion - especially that the ending was too ridiculously far fetched. Plus the writing just seemed all over the place (and I really didn't like the doctor character at all).

As for French Women Don't Get Fat - all I can say is that it's one of the worst books I've ever read, and most definitely the most condescending!

Can only completely agree with your assessment. Read it some time ago, can't remember why as it's not my usual sort of book, and thought it complete rubbish.

I'm glad it wasn't just me! I picked it up on a whim a while back, and I was so disappointed by it. Awful book.

This is a book I've been meaning to read some day, mainly because I want to know how the French women do it, I.e. keep thin. Thanks for the review, I won't be expecting anything great from it now. But I still think I'm going to give it a try, partly because I'm still curious about it as I was before, and partly because I want to see how condescending and badly written it was :lol: It might be a good laugh, now that I've been warned.

Just finished Time For One More Dance, by Charlotte Sadler. It was...okay. Quite nice in parts, but definitely in need of some editing (it is a self-published book). The author obviously shares my fan worshipness - if that's a word - of Gene Kelly :)

I'm about to start The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Bronte. Charlotte Bronte wrote one of my all time favourite books (Jane Eyre) and I also enjoyed Emily's Wuthering Heights. So I am looking forward to reading this one :D

I'm about to start The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Bronte. Charlotte Bronte wrote one of my all time favourite books (Jane Eyre) and I also enjoyed Emily's Wuthering Heights. So I am looking forward to reading this one :D

Hope you enjoy it Ruth it's ages since I first read it but I know I really enjoyed it, in fact I think I can feel a re- read coming on :D

• 2 weeks later...

well, have finished The Tenant of Wildfell Hall - took me quite a long time, but it was worth every minute...I loved it, and it has jumped straight onto my favourites shelf, alongside it's relative, Jane Eyre! I'm not really sure why Anne Bronte is less celebrated than her sisters; but I'll definitely be looking out for more of her work now.

I've just started reading Poppy Shakespeare by Clare Allan, which is described as a cross between One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and Catch 22. High praise indeed!

Finished Poppy Shakespeare and must confess that while it had it's moments, I was generally underwhelmed by it - disappointing as I had hopes for it.

Oh no, you hated my namesake :D It's a book I love and named myself after but I know it's a bit of an acquired taste, I've lent it to people and they usually hate it. I don't know what it was about it I liked, probably it's sense of humour because though it is quite tragic I found it made me laugh a lot .. I just loved all of 'N's description and the outrageous lies and flights of fancy that she indulged in. It's a rather scary portrait of British mental healthcare .. more so because it's based on Clare Allen's own experiences .. though she obviously embellished it a lot (or at least I hope she did.) Sorry you didn't enjoy it Ruth :(

Well, I do think the name Poppy is very pretty :D

I sound a bit harsh about the book - it did have its good parts, and N's description of events and people did frequently make me laugh. But the ending felt like a let down, and I could never really fathom out the truth about why Poppy was there. (Can't say too much more, because of spoilers). I might have had unreasonably high expectations because it was described as a cross between One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and Catch 22. (Apart from the setting, I didn't see much resemblence between it and One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.)

Well, I do think the name Poppy is very pretty :D

I sound a bit harsh about the book - it did have its good parts, and N's description of events and people did frequently make me laugh. But the ending felt like a let down, and I could never really fathom out the truth about why Poppy was there. (Can't say too much more, because of spoilers). I might have had unreasonably high expectations because it was described as a cross between One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and Catch 22. (Apart from the setting, I didn't see much resemblence between it and One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.)

You're right .. it bears no resemblance at all and is nothing like as good (as Catch 22 anyway, I haven't read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) but you know how they exaggerate on the book blurbs ... nearly everything I read with magic in it is compared to Harry Potter .. even Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell has that in it's book blurb and apart from the word magic appearing in both they are nothing like each other. The setting is enough for them to justify making the comparisons which is unhelpful really. The ending was the one part I didn't enjoy, I did understand why Poppy was there but I have to agree it got confusing.

Just finished reading Lost Light, by Michael Connelly. The first book I've read featuring Harry Bosch, and although I'm not as much into crime fiction as I used to be, I enjoyed this one.

About to start reading The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion; it's been on my tbr for years, so it's about time really!

I'll let you know. I got distracted last night by A Midsummer Night's Dream, so have also been reading that. I never used to like reading Shakespeare - I like the various stage/film/tv adaptations, and always thought that plays were written to watched, not read. However, I recently saw an adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream and liked it so much that I'm reading the Penguin edition now, which has a terrific introduction. It's not often I read two books at the same time, but I'm doing that at the moment. They're both short (The Year of Magical Thinking is just over 200 pages of fairly large font), so it shouldn't be long until I've read them both.

I'm glad you're enjoying it so much, Ruth. :) I've read a few Shakespeares now and have enjoyed them - although you can't beat a good play. When I've been able to, I've read them before going to see them performed - best of both worlds! :D