Ruth's reading in 2011

Ruth

Finished Freakonomics, which I would definitely recommend - thought provoking, engaging and lots of fun.

About to start reading Fairy Tale of New York, by MIranda Dickinson. I went to an author event at the library last night, and Miranda was the author in question; she was lovely, a great evening was had by all, and I'm looking forward to this one :)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 19 - favourite book turned into a movie. I think I picked To Kill A Mockingbird for another category, but I'm also picking it for this one. One of my very favourite books, and one of the few times where the movie does the book justice. And it's got the lovely Gregory Peck in it :)

0099419785.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Finished Fairytale of New York, by Miranda Dickinson - a really enjoyable and comforting read, definitely more for female readers.

Just started reading The Various Flavours of Coffee, by Anthony Capella - only a few pages in so far, but I really like it!

Day 21: Favourite book from your childhood.

I loved Enid Blyton books, and for this category was torn between the Famous Five books, the Malory Towers books, and the St. Clare's books. I went for the Malory Towers books in the end. This picture shows the cover of the first in the series, but I loved all of them. :)

first-term-at-malory-towers-7.jpg

So did I! And for years, I wished that I could have gone to boarding school and had midnight feasts all the time!

I've just finished reading The Various Flavours of Coffee, by Anthony Capella and I REALLY liked it. Definitely recommended - it covers coffee (obviously - and beware, it will make you crave lots of it), the suffrage movement, equal rights, slavery, fair trade and more. Definitely recommended.

Next up is a non-fiction read - Celebrity by Marina Hyde. Apparently it's about the current obsession with celebrity and is supposed to be satirical and critical and very funny.

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed the book - it was very funny, but so true. Especially if you're feeling sick of the relentless celebrity culture which this country seems to be living in at the moment.

Next book is Small Island, by Andrea Levy - been meaning to get to this one for ages!

Next book is Small Island, by Andrea Levy - been meaning to get to this one for ages!

I have the notion that this should be a pretty great read, and intriguing as well, but just like you I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'm very much looking forward to your thoughts on it, I hope you enjoy! :smile2:

I'm afraid I've not been very good at keeping up with the 30 day challenge :huh: I tell myself that I never said it would be 30 consecutive days!

Anyway, day 22 is Favourite book you own. It's like asking me to choose a favourite child!! Very difficult, but I think I'm going to say The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. This book just really struck a chord with me, and made me thankful for the life I lead.

22fcbc5051252a3597767574167434d414f4541.jpg

Day 23 - a book you've wanted to read for a long time, but still haven't.

Well!! Where do I start? There are SO many books which fit into this category. I've gone for Papillon by Henri Charriere. I've had it on my shelf for years, and one day I WILL get around to it!

6882.jpg

Day 24 - a book you wish more people would have read

Loads! But I've gone for Betty Blue - it's a love story, but a wild tragic one. There was a decent film adaptation too, but the book is far more moving. I'd definitely recommend it.

0349101108.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Have just finished Small Island by Andrea Levy - what a great read! It's the first book I've read by this author, but I definitely intend to read more.

My next book is going to be Legend of a Suicide, by David Vann, for my face-to-face reading group.

Have just finished Small Island by Andrea Levy - what a great read! It's the first book I've read by this author, but I definitely intend to read more.

Yay, I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed it! I'm happy that it was every bit as good as I've thought. :)

Yay, I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed it! I'm happy that it was every bit as good as I've thought. :)

Yes, it was honestly a terrific read. I really must look for more books by Andrea Levy.

On a lesser note, I've just finished Legend of a Suicide, by David Vann. A lot of other reviewers seemed to be profoundly moved by this book, but I found it boring and depressing, and was so relieved to finish it. It's about the narrator's father's suicide, and the author's own father committed suicide. I hope writing the book was a cathartic experience for David Vann, but it just didn't click at all for me. Ah well, can't love them all.

Day 25 - a character you can relate to:

This is so tough - I initially wanted to pick a character who had had a similar life to me, but then realised that it woudl probably be better to just find a character whose feelings and actions I could understand, even though their life was totally different to mine. On that basis, I went for Netta Castalucca from Adriana Trigiani's 'Queen Of The Big Time'. In fact, Adriana Trigiani has a gift for writing characters who it is easy to relate to. I haven't lived through all of the things that Netta lived through, but I could understand her thoughts and motivations:

0743462270.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Day 11 - a book you hated.

Easy - there's not too many of these to choose from, but I thought that The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom was the worst book I have ever read.

Horrible and completely unbelievable characters, ridiculous storyline which goes nowhere, subplots which are picked up and dropped at random...frankly it just isn't worth the time!

cca05e175488f0c5977532b54774141414c3441.jpg

*Takes book off the shelf, and adds to the charity pile!* laugh.gif

*Takes book off the shelf, and adds to the charity pile!* laugh.gif

*crossing it off my 'want' list :giggle2:

Honestly, it was a dire dire read. If it wasn't for the fact that I hate to give up on any book, I would have given it up early on. I did check other reviews of it on LibraryThing and Amazon, to see what other people thought - almost everyone pretty much thought it was rubbish (but some of them weren't as polite as that)!

Day 26 - a Book that changed your opinion about something. I found this category REALLY hard. There have been so many books which have informed me about subjects, about which I didn't know too much - but I'm not sure that I've had my opinion changed by any books. Which sounds a bit shocking!!

Anyway, in the end I plumped for The Devil's Advocate, by Andrew Neiderman. Until I read this book, I believed that books were always better than their movie adaptations. This book definitely proved otherwise. Not that the movie is brilliant, but it's entertaining enough. The book is just....well, suffice to say that I wouldn't recommend it!

n2812.jpg

Day 27 - most surprising plot twist or ending.

I've read lots of books with great twists, but one that really stuck in my mind was Affinity, by Sarah Waters. I've read four of her books and thought they were all great - it's a toss up between this one and The Night Watch over which is my favourite. I'm not going to reveal the twist because I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I would definitely recommend this book!

e9fbb0911236cbe593778655267434d414f4541.jpg

Day 28 - favourite title.

My favourite book title is that of a book which is on my ever-growing tbr, but which I have yet to read. It's The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin. I just think it's such a brilliantly funny title. Another book in the series is called The Toyminator, which is almost as good!

0575074019.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg