Ruth's reading in 2011

Ruth

Day 5 - A book that makes you happy.

Hmm...anything by Jane Austen would fit the bill. I've gone for Emma, because it's good fun and I like the main character, even though she is snooty and meddling - her heart was in the right place. There's some great tv and film adaptations been done of this book too :)

0141439580.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finished reading Lennox, by Craig Russell. Pretty good for the first book of a new series about an enquiry agent in 1950s Glasgow.

My next read is The Call of the Weird, by Louis Theroux :)

Edited by Ruth

Day 6 - A book that makes you sad.

Blimey, this is a tough one. But after much consideration I went for Betty Blue by Philippe Djian. It's a fabulous book, which deals with an out-of-control love, depression, insanity and loss. An exhilarating but sad read.

0349101108.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Day 7 - Most underrated book

This is a tough one, but I've gone for Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom.

A lot of people don't realise that the film was even based on a book, but for my money the book is actually better (although I did enjoy the film). The storyline is pretty different to the adaptation, but this is such a lovely book, full of humour and pathos - and yet a lot of people don't even know about it! I couldn't stop laughing at some parts of it.

0743453255.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Incidentally, when I look back at some of my choices for this list so far, I keep thinking of other books I could have picked - for instance, for the favourite series question, I could just as easily have picked the Big Stone Gap series by Adriana Trigiani, or the Inspector Montalbano series by Andrea Camilleri. Some of these categories need a lot of thinking about, but it's fun doing it!

I initially thought you'd chosen Forrest Gump as most overrated book and already gasped!: how can it be overrated when there are hardly any people who know about the book and fewer still who've actually read it? Then I realised that you'd written 'underrated'. What a great choice! :) I loved the movie back in the day but fear I would find it too longwinded now. The book, however, can be easily read time and a time again, and I definitely agree with you, it is so hilarious! Forrest is so innocent and pure, and accidentally puts a foot in his mouth (or how does the phrase go) every now and then, but always gets away with it and people think he's a genious. Which he actually is in his way.

Thanks Ruth, this brought back a lot of funny memories about the book :)

And: re: having to think a lot which book/author/series to choose: I know it'll be a difficult task, and therefor I intend to cheat, pick one, and always have a 'bubbling under' category if I need one :giggle2:

Almost forgot: I simply have to add A Fine Balance to my wishlist after reading your post on it :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Day 7 - Most underrated book

This is a tough one, but I've gone for Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom.

Ooh, I'm so glad to see a review of this. I haven't known anyone who has read it (not even you, Frankie!) and I've often seen it around and wondered if it would be worth a read. I've always loved the movie and seen it many times, and now I think after reading these comments I'll definitely add it to my wish list. Thanks! :)

And: re: having to think a lot which book/author/series to choose: I know it'll be a difficult task, and therefor I intend to cheat, pick one, and always have a 'bubbling under' category if I need one :giggle2:

I intend to cheat more than that! ;)

Ooh, I'm so glad to see a review of this. I haven't known anyone who has read it (not even you, Frankie!) and I've often seen it around and wondered if it would be worth a read. I've always loved the movie and seen it many times, and now I think after reading these comments I'll definitely add it to my wish list. Thanks! :)

How do you not remember how I told you about the book a couple of times, and when we were at a bookstore that also featured secondhand books, you found the book and you almost bought it, but it wasn't as cheap as we'd thought (the price was illegible) and it wasn't in a very good condition?

I intend to cheat more than that! ;)

I expect nothing less from you :D

How do you not remember how I told you about the book a couple of times, and when we were at a bookstore that also featured secondhand books, you found the book and you almost bought it, but it wasn't as cheap as we'd thought (the price was illegible) and it wasn't in a very good condition?

Oh yeaaaaah! It's all coming back to me now. I took it to the counter to pay for it and everything and then we discovered it was quite expensive. Thanks for reminding me. blush.gif

I expect nothing less from you :D

ohmy.gif

Hi Frankie :) I absolutely agree with you - the book is SO under-rated. When I tell people about it they usually are astounded to discover that the film was based on a book. I have the sequel - Gump and Co. - but haven't read it yet.

Kylie if you read it I hope you love it - it is very different from the film, but I personally prefer it. Don't read it in public though, unless you don't mind bursting into random laughter in front of people!

Day 8 - most overrated book.

I nearly went for Brideshead Revisited for this category, because I had such high hopes for it, and really felt let down BUT I think it was more a case of me not being in the right mood for it when I read it. I even kept my copy with the intention of re-reading it one day. So after thinking about it some more, I went for The Accidental, by Ali Smith.

0141010398.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

When this came out, there was so much hype and critical acclaim surrounding it and I was really looking forward to it. But it was dull, dull, dull. Annoying characters, flat writing - I was so disappointed. It put me off ever reading anything by Ali Smith again.

Day 9 - a book you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving.

Several books I could choose from - I love being surprised by a book! I've gone for a recent read - Past Imperfect, by Julian Fellowes. I had to read it for our F2F reading group, and a few people felt the same way; initially we thought it might be hard work, but most of us ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

0753825414.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Damian Baxter is ridiculously, stupendously rich. He's also dying and has nobody to leave his vast fortune to. However, an anonymous letter received years earlier suggests that he may have father a child many years ago, and now he wants to find that child in order to include him or her in his will. However, there are a few contenders for the mother of the child, and to track her down he needs the assistance of a former friend from the late 60s when Damian spent time amongst the upper classes and the aristocracy. The former friend is the narrator of the book, but he now harbours a strong grudge against Damian...

When I started this book I was not sure I would enjoy it. It seemed to be populated by snobbish shallow characters who I did not think I would be able to warm to. However, by about halfway through it had quite won me over and I simply did not want to put it down by the time I got to the ending.

As stated, the unnamed narrator is the former friend of Damian, who undertakes to find his child. As he does so and meets up with several people who he was friends with at the time in which most of the book was set, he not only discovers secrets about Damian's past, but also comes to terms with events in his own.

We learn early on that the narrator is upset with Damian over an incident that occurred in Portugal years before, although the details of the incident are not revealed until nearly the end of the story. There is also some tension over a girl with whom the narrator was clearly in love - Serena Gresham.

The book describes the search for Damian's possible offspring, and also explains the differing fates of several of the characters. It also gives plenty of description of upper class society in the late 1960s. The narrator notes that the 60s for many people were not all free love and flower power, and describes debutantes' balls and posh parties galore. The era was explained in great detail, which I found very interesting to read about.

I ended up really liking the narrator and finding him to be a believeable character. It was clear to see how he had mellowed and matured in the intervening years between the two periods of time which the book covers. Damian himself was not a particularly sympathetic character, but I did feel that the reader could understand him much better by the end of the book.

Some parts of the book were very moving, and some were very funny. The whole description of Terry Vitkov's ball had me in fits of laughter.

I would highly recommend this book. I now want to seek out 'Snobs' by the same author.

Edited by Ruth

Day 10 - Favourite classic.

Oh wow, this is a tough one. Finally narrowed it down to either To Kill a Mockingbird or Jane Eyre. In the end I went for To Kill a Mockingbird. Such a beautiful book - I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. The film adaptation is also wonderful (and Gregory Peck is in it - what more could you want?!

0446310786.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Finished The Call of the Weird, by Louis Theroux on Saturday night - very interesting book, humorous and thought provoking. Yesterday, I started The Innocent by Posie Graeme-Evans - so far it's pretty good.

Day 11 - a book you hated.

Easy - there's not too many of these to choose from, but I thought that The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom was the worst book I have ever read.

Horrible and completely unbelievable characters, ridiculous storyline which goes nowhere, subplots which are picked up and dropped at random...frankly it just isn't worth the time!

cca05e175488f0c5977532b54774141414c3441.jpg

Day 12 - A book you used to love but don't anymore....I think I might have to skip this one. I rarely reread books, so if I loved a book, I'll always remember it as a book I loved. The occasional books which I do reread are ones that I really treasured reading and haven't gone off. Having said that, I used to read a lot of crime fiction and I'm not so keen on it anymore, but I really can't single out one specific book. So, I'll have to skip it go straight onto :

Day 13 - Favourite author. Jane Austen

jane-austen.jpg

For her wit and wisdom and because her books are an absolute delight to curl up with on a lazy afternoon. Some of the film adaptations are well worth watching as well :)

Day 14 - Favourite book by your favourite writer.

This took some thinking about! I love Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, but eventually picked Emma. First time I read it I wasn't too sure, but when I reread I loved it. Jane Austen said that in writing Emma she had created a heroine who no-one but she would like, but I think she was too harsh on Emma - I adored her, meddling nature and all!

Thanks Frankie for printing this list. I'm going to have a crack at it, and try and answer the relevant question each day...

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Where did this list originate from ? Is it ok if I use it too ?

I have enjoyed reading your reviews and now plan to find a copy of Forrest Gump (I didn't know it was a book :smile2: ) and I am now a little bit closer to re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird I read it years ago and disliked it and people are always telling me I need to re-read it and everytime I see a review of it I think yes I really should.

Day 14 - Favourite book by your favourite writer.

This took some thinking about! I love Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, but eventually picked Emma. First time I read it I wasn't too sure, but when I reread I loved it. Jane Austen said that in writing Emma she had created a heroine who no-one but she would like, but I think she was too harsh on Emma - I adored her, meddling nature and all!

Hi Ruth, how are you? Its nice to read how much you love 'Emma', I have never read it (I keep meaning to), I like the cover. :)

Edited by Weave

Hi Weave, I'm great thanks - how are you? If you do read Emma, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Day 15 - your favourite male character.

No contest - Atticus Finch from To Kill A Mockingbird. He is my literary hero (and the American Film Industry rated him No 1 in the list of movie heroes as well).

Here's Gregory Peck (one of my favourite actors) in the role:

Gregory-Peck-as-Atticus-F-006.jpg

I've finished reading The Innocent - it was....okay. Lots of terrific historical detail, but clunky writing and a few pages of absolute smut that added nothing to the storyline marred it for me.

Now started reading Freakonomics, whcih is fascinating!

Day 16 - favourite female character.

Jane Eyre - a strong woman, who refused to compromise her principles. I love the book and the character of Jane. Here's Ruth Wilson in the role - this was my favourite adaptation of the novel (and it stars yummy Toby Stephens as Rochester :) )

jane_eyre_05_465x370.jpg

I'm glad you're enjoying Freakonomics. It really is fascinating isn't it? Just last night I was quoting stuff from the book to others. :)

Is The Innocent by Ian McEwan?

Hi Kylie :) Yes, Freakonomics is one of those books that has me constantly saying to my husband, "Hey, listen to this..." Very interesting, and I like the engaging style as well.

Ian McEwan has written a novel called The Innocent, but the one I read was by Posie Graeme-Evans - historical fiction set in the reign of King Edward in the 1400s. It had its good points and bad points - I think Philippa Gregory does it much better!

Day 17 - favourite quote from favourite book.

Wow!! This is tough, because I don't even have only one favourite book...and there'sa boatload of quotes to choose from. Anyway, here is one of my favourites from To Kill A Mockingbird (spoken by Atticus Finch)

"The one place where a man ought to get a square deal is in a courtroom, be he any color of the rainbow, but people have a way of carrying their resentments right into a jury box. As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it - whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash."

Day 18: A book that disappointed you.

Brideshead Revisited. I know it's a classic and I know it's much loved, but I was distinctly underwhelmed. As I've mentioned elsewhere though, I could at least appreciate the writing even if I didn't really enjoy it, and it may just have been that it was the wrong book at the wrong time. I've kept my copy anyway, to hopefully try again one day.

brideshead_01.jpg