Ruth's reading in 2011

Ruth

Finished Poppy Shakespeare and must confess that while it had it's moments, I was generally underwhelmed by it - disappointing as I had hopes for it.

Oh no, you hated my namesake :D It's a book I love and named myself after but I know it's a bit of an acquired taste, I've lent it to people and they usually hate it. I don't know what it was about it I liked, probably it's sense of humour because though it is quite tragic I found it made me laugh a lot .. I just loved all of 'N's description and the outrageous lies and flights of fancy that she indulged in. It's a rather scary portrait of British mental healthcare .. more so because it's based on Clare Allen's own experiences .. though she obviously embellished it a lot (or at least I hope she did.) Sorry you didn't enjoy it Ruth :(

Hmm - now this is interesting as it's a book I was thinking of reading someday. I saw the TV adaptation and loved it - although like Ruth I was left with unanswered questions. No consensus here then so I still don't know whether to read it or not :rolleyes:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you're enjoying it so much, Ruth. :) I've read a few Shakespeares now and have enjoyed them - although you can't beat a good play. When I've been able to, I've read them before going to see them performed - best of both worlds! :D

Funnily enough, just this morning I booked tickets for The Taming of the Shrew, at the RSC in February :) My next module for uni starts in February and I will studying that play, so I'm looking forward to it. I love (some of) the film adaptations too.

Hmm - now this is interesting as it's a book I was thinking of reading someday. I saw the TV adaptation and loved it - although like Ruth I was left with unanswered questions. No consensus here then so I still don't know whether to read it or not :rolleyes:

Sorry to have confused you :D I would recommend reading it; although I was generally underwhelmed it was an easy read, and there were some genuinely funny moments.

I'd love to know how you get on with The Year of Magical Thinking. I was wondering whether it was actually suitable to recommend to people who have lost a loved one recently.

I've finished this now...I'm not sure that I would recommend it to anyone who is grieving for a loved one, but I don't think it would cause anyone further upset. Some of the observations Joan Didion made were insightful, and she certainly has a eloquent writing style. However, she does mentio that the book is in no way a guide to helping anyone who is recently bereaved, and it doesn't have sudden moments of enlightenment, or tips for positivity. I quite admired her for that to be honest - her feelings were obviously very raw when she wrote the book, and that really comes through. A lot of it is centred around her very ill daughter (probably equal amounts of time are given to this subject than to the death of her husband), which is understandable, as that is what was happening in her life when she wrote the book.

To be honest, the book actually made me feel down, not in empathy, but just because sometimes I didn't want to pick it up, knowing that the tone of the book would affect my mood. However, if someone was reading it who had recently lost someone, they might find comfort in the feelings that Didion expresses.

Sorry - that probably hasn't helped you much! It's an interesting enough book, but I feel like I need something light hearted or escapist to follow it with.

Poppyshake got me interested in this one too Andrea so if you want someone to read it with at the same time let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished The House of the Wind, by Titania Hardie. Nice story, eloquent writing, but...the story moved along a bit too slowly. If it had been tightened up, and was say 100 pages less, it would have been more enjoyable. I'd still look out for more by this author though.

Next is Rat Pack Confidential by Shawn Levy - looks like an interesting and easy read about Sinatra, Martin and Co.

• 2 weeks later...

Sofia, you were right - I loved it!! Absolutely fantastic - and I hope this author writes a lot more books. :)

About to start One Day by David Nicholls - another book which I've heard fantastic things about. Hope it's as good as the last one!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished reading One Day, and I loved it. Loved. It. Just a really really fantastic read, with happiness, humour, sadness, poignancy. If you haven't read this yet, I definitely recommend that you do!

I'm about to start reading French Lessons, by Ellen Sussman. :)

Quite liked 'French Lessons', but it was ultimately forgettable.

This morning I started reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski. I like the style of writing, but I'm less than 40 pages in and two dogs have died already :o . Not sure that I will find it enjoyable if there's going to be much of that kind of thing! Still, it's for my f2f reading group, so will persevere.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - it took me a long time to read, because it's so descriptive, but I really adored this book. It started slow - and at about 40 pages in I considered giving up, but I'm SO glad that I didn't. It was just all kinds of awesome! Highly highly recommended.

About to start Lady Blue Eyes, by Barbara Sinatra, widow of Frank. :)

Finished reading One Day, and I loved it. Loved. It. Just a really really fantastic read, with happiness, humour, sadness, poignancy. If you haven't read this yet, I definitely recommend that you do!

Stop tempting me Ruth smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finished Lady Blue Eyes...some interesting anecdotes, but there was nothing there that Sinatra fans don't already know, and this was obviously a sanitised version of his life! Also, I just could not warm to - or sometimes even like - the author. Still, it was an undemanding and pretty enjoyable read.

Next up is something in the fantasy genre - which I find a bit hit and miss - Avenger's Angel, by Heather Killough-Walden :)

Quite liked 'French Lessons', but it was ultimately forgettable.

This morning I started reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski. I like the style of writing, but I'm less than 40 pages in and two dogs have died already :o . Not sure that I will find it enjoyable if there's going to be much of that kind of thing! Still, it's for my f2f reading group, so will persevere.

Ruth

I loved Edgar Sawtelle. A wonderful story .Glad you stuck it out and finished it .

Ruth

I loved Edgar Sawtelle. A wonderful story .Glad you stuck it out and finished it .

Thanks Julie :) It's because of books like that that I hate to give up on a book. Although I wasn't sure at first, I ended up loving the book - in fact it'll be in my top 10 books of the year.

Thanks Julie :) It's because of books like that that I hate to give up on a book. Although I wasn't sure at first, I ended up loving the book - in fact it'll be in my top 10 books of the year.

Hi Ruth

Some of my all time favorites are the same. They may start out with something really graphic or violent and I shut the book and don't want to read it,but then I open it back up and give it another try . Those are the ones that really stand out for me as all time favorites. If I can get past that first jolt, it is well worth continuing.

I also have the Guilt Factor going on. If I BUY a book, I stand a much better chance of reading it. If it's a library book,it's much easier to take it back .No money lost .

Finished Avenger's Angel, which was pretty good, although I'm not really a fan of the fantasy or paranormal romance genre. It's the first in a series, and I think I'd give the others a go.

I'm about to start my Christmas reading - something a bit different this year...The Atheist's Guide to Christmas. It's a collection of essays by various famous people who are atheists. Some funny, some philosophical, etc.

I finished The Atheist's Guide to Christmas, and thought it was terrific (there is no attempt by any of the 42 contributors to try and convert anyone from their chosen religion, and no banging on about religion being a bad thing). As with all books with several authors, some contributions are better than others, but there were only a couple that I didn't particularly enjoy.

In an attempt to complete my self imposed challenge of reading 60 books this year - and with less than two days to go! - I have decided to read Oscar and Lady In Pink, by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt, because it's a small book, and less than 100 pages long. It has been on my tbr for ages though, so it's probably time I got around to it.