Ruth's reading in 2011

Ruth

Hit a bit of a snag - can't find the Zeebrugge book, even though I know I saw it on my shelf a few days ago!!

When that happens to me it's usually staring me in the face, can't see the wood for the trees :D

Is this the story of the guy who acted as a human bridge for people to escape ?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not actually him, although that man is mentioned in the book. And...I found it - on the shelf where I was looking (although it had mysteriously moved to the other end to where I last saw it :smile2: ) I'm going to read it after my next book, which is The Lonely Tree, by Yael Politis.

I REALLY enjoyed Cuban Heels, by Emily Barr - recommended very highly!!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished reading Remix - it was really good :)

About to start Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure. Looking forward to this; I've read another of his books and really liked it. I also saw Dave Gorman's stand up show in Birmingham last month, so it seems a good time to read it.

Edited by Ruth

Finished Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure - very very funny. I found myself bursting into laughter on several occasions. It was a light hearted read, so now I feel read to tackle something a bit more involved. My next book is going to be Gone With The Wind, by Margaret Mitchell. It's 1100 pages ( :o ) so I might not be online for a while!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished Gone With The Wind - it took me just over two weeks, which is a long time for me. Totally worth it though - I loved it, except for the depictions of slavery as a good thing, and emancipation of slaves as a bad thing. Those parts did make me feel uncomfortable, to say the least.

Next up is Frozen, by Lindsay Ashford.

Finally finished Gone With The Wind - it took me just over two weeks, which is a long time for me. Totally worth it though - I loved it, except for the depictions of slavery as a good thing, and emancipation of slaves as a bad thing. Those parts did make me feel uncomfortable, to say the least.

Next up is Frozen, by Lindsay Ashford.

Glad you mostly enjoyed Gone With the Wind, I've got this on my TBR pile and hopefully I will get round to this soon!

Finished reading Frozen - a good book but the subject matter was a bit disturbing at times; it's about a psychologist who is called in to help the police with an investigation into the deaths of two prostitutes.

Next book is going to be Bitter Sweets, by Roopa Farooki :)

Finished Bitter Sweets - what a terrific book. First I've read by Roopa Farooki, but I definitely want to find her other novels now :)

Next up is The Idea of Perfection, by Kate Grenville, for my F2F reading group.

I'm so glad you enjoyed Gone with the Wind. :) It became one of my favourite ever reads when I read it last year. It's definitely one to read again and again!

Yes, it's definitely a keeper for me. Can you believe I've never seen the movie?! I definitely want to now though :)

I'm in two minds about whether to get 'Scarlett' - the sequel to GWTW - by Alexandra Ripley. I've heard mixed reviews about it.

Finished reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - a collection of short stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. Perfect bite sized treats for fans of Holmes, which I was reading in between reading other books. Very enjoyable :)

Thanks Frankie for printing this list. I'm going to have a crack at it, and try and answer the relevant question each day...

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time

Day 1 - best book of last year...

A Fine Balance, by Rohinton Mistry

140003065X.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I had to read this for my F2F reading group, and was initially daunted by the size of it - but I LOVED it. Beautiful writing, so atmospheric, and took me through a whole range of emotions.

I’m not really sure how to write this review…this is an absolutely wonderful book, and I really want to try and do it justice.

Set in Mumbai in the 1970s when India has been declared in a State of Emergency by the Prime Minister Indira Ghandi, it tells the story of four people who are brought together, and the effect that the relationships between them have on their lives. Dina Dalal is a widow, fiercely independent and determined to support herself, rather than rely on her brother’s financial help, or get remarried.

Ishvar and Omprakash (Om) are tailors from a low caste, who seek work in Mumbai and find themselves working for Dina.

Maneck is a young man, brought up in a loving family in the mountains, who comes to the city to attend college and needs a room to rent.

All of them are from very different backgrounds, but are thrown together as they try to make lives for themselves during what is a very difficult period in India.

The first half of the book centres on the histories of the characters and tells how they came to find themselves in their respective situations. The second half concentrates more on the bond between the four of them, and the trials that they face as individuals and as a group.

There is also much in the book about life in India at the time, and how difficult it was for so many citizens.

I adored this book. Each character was so beautifully drawn that I felt that I really knew them, and I certainly came to care very much about them. The descriptions of some of the horrors that took place were gut wrenching and very distressing to read about – all the more so, because I was aware that such things really did happen. It certainly made me realise how lucky I am to have the freedoms and privileges that most of the time we all take for granted. This is a tale of a population which has been failed by it’s government – and when the rulers of a land can’t abide by their own rules, how can anyone else be expected to? I could only read with trepidation as some of the characters seemed to be drawn along a road that could only lead to heartache.

There are a number of other characters who are relatively minor, but all of whom were fleshed out and were entirely believable.

The writing was beautiful – so eloquent, but also very accessible. The location and time were really brought to life.

At no point did I get bored – I just wanted to read on and learn more about the lives of these fascinating people, and the ending when it came, took my breath away.

This is a wonderfully written, warm and absorbing read – very highly recommended indeed. (Don’t be put off by the length – you may well wish it was even longer!)

Edited by Ruth

Ooh I hope you both enjoy it :) I think everyone in the reading group liked it a lot.

I've just finished The Idea of Perfection by Kate Grenville (also for the F2F reading group) - didn't think I'd like it at first, but I ended up really enjoying it.

Next up is Lennox, by Craig Russell.

Day 2 - a book I've read more than three times.

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

0446310786.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Definitely in my top three books of all time. The film adaptation is also excellent (but then again when Gregory Peck is in anything, it's guaranteed to be worth watching. The American Film Industry voted Atticus Finch the greatest movie hero of all time - I have always thought of him as my favourite literary hero as well).

Anyhow, definitely DEFINITELY worth reading if you haven't already :)

Day 3 - Favourite series.

Tough one, but probably The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I love all the eccentric characters and the unusual situations, as well as Mma Ramotswe's inimitable style of solving crimes. Nice, easy going, laid back detective stories to cul up with for a lazy afternoon on the sofa :)

1400034779.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Day 4 - Favourite book from the series

2f5eaa561345671593662715367434d414f4541.jpg

Morality For Beautiful Girls.

I loved this book and especially the way it touched on depression and the effect that it can have on both the person suffering, and the people around them. Plus another fun and interesting mystery for Mma Ramotswe to solve...

I had to read this for my F2F reading group, and was initially daunted by the size of it - but I LOVED it. Beautiful writing, so atmospheric, and took me through a whole range of emotions.

I’m not really sure how to write this review…this is an absolutely wonderful book, and I really want to try and do it justice.

Set in Mumbai in the 1970s when India has been declared in a State of Emergency by the Prime Minister Indira Ghandi, it tells the story of four people who are brought together, and the effect that the relationships between them have on their lives. Dina Dalal is a widow, fiercely independent and determined to support herself, rather than rely on her brother’s financial help, or get remarried.

Ishvar and Omprakash (Om) are tailors from a low caste, who seek work in Mumbai and find themselves working for Dina.

Maneck is a young man, brought up in a loving family in the mountains, who comes to the city to attend college and needs a room to rent.

All of them are from very different backgrounds, but are thrown together as they try to make lives for themselves during what is a very difficult period in India.

The first half of the book centres on the histories of the characters and tells how they came to find themselves in their respective situations. The second half concentrates more on the bond between the four of them, and the trials that they face as individuals and as a group.

There is also much in the book about life in India at the time, and how difficult it was for so many citizens.

I adored this book. Each character was so beautifully drawn that I felt that I really knew them, and I certainly came to care very much about them. The descriptions of some of the horrors that took place were gut wrenching and very distressing to read about – all the more so, because I was aware that such things really did happen. It certainly made me realise how lucky I am to have the freedoms and privileges that most of the time we all take for granted. This is a tale of a population which has been failed by it’s government – and when the rulers of a land can’t abide by their own rules, how can anyone else be expected to? I could only read with trepidation as some of the characters seemed to be drawn along a road that could only lead to heartache.

There are a number of other characters who are relatively minor, but all of whom were fleshed out and were entirely believable.

The writing was beautiful – so eloquent, but also very accessible. The location and time were really brought to life.

At no point did I get bored – I just wanted to read on and learn more about the lives of these fascinating people, and the ending when it came, took my breath away.

This is a wonderfully written, warm and absorbing read – very highly recommended indeed. (Don’t be put off by the length – you may well wish it was even longer!)

This sounds pretty cool, another India book I haven't read!

Lovely review - so pleased you liked this book - it's certainly one of my favourites of all time!