Ruth's reading in 2011

Ruth

January

1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - 5/5

2. Bleak House, by Charles Dickens - 3/5

3. Queen Of The Big Time, by Adriana Trigiani - 4.5/5

4. Monster Love, by Carol Topolski - 4.25/5

5. A Girl Like You, by Gemma Burgess - 4.25/5

6. Far Above Rubies, by Anne-Marie Vukelic - 4/5

February

7. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, by Aimee Bender - 4/5

8. Behold Here's Poison, by Georgette Heyer - 4.25/5

9. The Detective Branch, by Andrew Pepper - 3.75/5

10. Dancing With Mr Darcy, by various authors - 4/5

11. The Wilding, by Maria McCann - 3.5/5

12. Past Imperfect, by Julian Fellowes - 4.5/5

March

13. Death by Chocolate, by Toby Moore - 2.5/5

14. Cuban Heels, by Emily Barr - 4.75/5

15. The Lonely Tree, by Yael Politis - 4.25/5

16. Zeebrugge: A Hero's Story, by Stephen Homewood - 3.25/5

17. Remix, by Lexi Revellian - 4/5

18. Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure, by Dave Gorman - 4.5/5

April

19. Gone With The Wind, by Margaret Mitchell - 4/5

20. Frozen, by Lindsay Ashford - 3.25/5

21. Bitter Sweets, by Roopa Farooki - 4.5/5

22. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle - 3.5/5

May

23. The Idea Of Perfection, by Kate Grenville - 3.5/5

24. Lennox, by Craig Russell - 3.5/5

25. The Call Of The Weird, by Louis Theroux - 3.75/5

26. The Innocent, by Posie Graeme-Evans - 2.5/5

27. Freakonomics, by Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - 4/5

28. Fairy Tale of New York, by MIranda Dickinson - 4/5

June

29. The Various Flavours of Coffee, by Anthony Capella - 4.25/5

30. Celebrity, by Marina Hyde - 5/5

31. Small Island, by Andrea Levy - 4.5/5

32. Legend Of A Suicide, by David Vann - 1.5/5

July

33. The Green Mile, by Stephen King - 5/5

34. The Girls, by Lori Lansens - 3.75/5

35. Singin' In The Rain: The Making of an American Masterpiece, by Earl J. Hess and Pratibha A. Dabholkar - 5/5

36. The 19th Wife, by David Ebershoff - 4.5/5

37. Unless, by Carol Shields - 3/5

August

38. Super Freakonomics, by Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner - 3.5/5

39. The Big Over Easy, by Jasper Fforde - 3.5/5

40. Into The Wild, by Jon Krakauer - 3/5

41. The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Seierstad - 4/5

42. The Secret Scripture, by Sebastian Barry - 2.5/5

43. French Women Don't Get Fat, by Mireille Guiliano - 1/5

September

44. Time For One More Dance, by Charlotte Sadler - 2.5/5

45. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, by Anne Bronte - 5/5

46. Poppy Shakespeare, by Clare Allan - 2.5/5

47. Call For The Dead, by John Le Carre - 4/5

October

48. Lost Light, by Michael Connelly - 3.5/5

49. A Midsummer Night's Dream, by William Shakespeare - 4.5/5

50. The Year of Magical Thinking, by Joan Didion - 3.5/5

51. The House of the Wind, by Titania Hardie - 3/5

52. Rat Pack Confidential, by Shawn Levy - 4/5

November

53. Before I Go To Sleep, by S. J. Watson - 5/5

54. One Day, by David Nicholls - 5/5

55. French Lessons, by Ellen Sussman - 3/5

December

56. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski - 5/5

57. Lady Blue Eyes, by Barbara Sinatra - 3.25/5

58. Avenger's Angel, by Heather Killough-Walden - 3.5/5

59. The Atheist's Guide to Christmas, by Various - 4/5

60. Oscar and the Lady In Pink, by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt - 3/5

Edited by Ruth

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ruth, I'm certainly intrigued by the title of your first read. Anway, I hope you have a great 2011 reading year and read some great books!

Edited by Ben

Thanks Ben :)

It was a terrific book - told entirely through the letters of occupants of Guernsey just after WWII, and an author from London. It detailed the German Occupation in Guernsey, and the current events in the lives of the occupants of the island. Highly recommended!

Thanks Ben :)

It was a terrific book - told entirely through the letters of occupants of Guernsey just after WWII, and an author from London. It detailed the German Occupation in Guernsey, and the current events in the lives of the occupants of the island. Highly recommended!

It sounds an interesting read, I think I'll add it to my wishlist. Thanks for recommending. (:

Edited by Ben

It sounds an interesting read, I think I'll add it to my wishlist. Thanks for recommending. (:

I do agree, Ruth, it was a great read - one of my favourites in 2009. Hope you enjoy Bleak House!

Started and finished my first book of the year - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I absolutely adored. Fab way to start my year's reading. I highly highly recommend this book!

I've resisted buying this book for a while. I'm not even sure why; maybe because I already have so many books. But at any rate, I can see that I'll be giving in and reading it one day because so many people really love it! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :)

Started and finished my first book of the year - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I absolutely adored. Fab way to start my year's reading. I highly highly recommend this book!

I fully agree that was one of my favourite reads last year, but all over so quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, it's such a beautiful and heart-warming read! :smile2: A good way to start the year, indeed, and one that can be re-read as a comfort read, me thinks.

I've resisted buying this book for a while. I'm not even sure why; maybe because I already have so many books. But at any rate, I can see that I'll be giving in and reading it one day because so many people really love it! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. :)

I'm not sure why either. It's a great read!! You should've read my copy when I bought it at the book fair.

I've now finished reading Bleak House - took me two weeks, which is a long time for me, but it was worth it.

I'm now reading Queen Of The Big Time, by one of my very favourite authors - Adriana Trigiani :)

Edited by Ruth

I'd definitely recommend Far Above Rubies - and you certainly don't need to be a fan of Dickens to enjoy it (he may have been a terrific novelist, but a good husband he most certainly was NOT!)

Next up is The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, by Aimee Bender. I bought this while on holiday in America last year, and have been meaning to get around to it for ages. The cover itself is making me hungry though! It has a picture of a large yummy looking slice of cake on it. :)

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake was such an unusual book - a kind of dreamlike melancholy infused the whole story. But it was captivating and I would definitely read more by this author.

Next up is Behold Here's Poison, by Georgette Heyer.

Finished The Detective Branch, by Andrew Pepper. Probably not the best book in the Pyke series, but certainly an enjoyable read, with a fantastic ending!

Also read Dancing with Mr Darcy - a collection of Jane Austen inspired short stories, by various authors. As always with short stories, some worked better than others, but on the whole it was a great collection.

Now reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - a collection of short stories by Conan Doyle. Also will be starting The Wilding by Maria McCann, but going to wait a couple of days to start that one, as I'm planning to read a lot of it on a flight to Rome. :)

Finished The Wilding. Enjoyed it a lot, and woudl definitely read more by this author.

Last night I started Past Imperfect, by Julian Fellowes. This author also wrote the tv show Downton Abbey, which I adored, so I hope to enjoy this book! It's started promisingly.

Finished Death by Chocolate. It had it's moments, but it ultimately felt like eating cheap chocolate...moderately enjoyable, but leaving you feeling slightly unsatisfied.

About to start Zeebrugge: A Hero's Story, by Stephen Homewood (I think this book has been on my tbr pile for about 17 years :o:blush: )

Hit a bit of a snag - can't find the Zeebrugge book, even though I know I saw it on my shelf a few days ago!!

Hopefully it will turn up in a couple of days, but in the meantime I'm going to read Cuban Heels, by Emily Barr.

Edited by Ruth

Hit a bit of a snag - can't find the Zeebrugge book, even though I know I saw it on my shelf a few days ago!!

Hopefully it will turn up in a couple of days, but in the meantime I'm going to read This Age We're Living In, by David Wilson.

So weird when books go missing. Maybe someone else in the family decided to read it too?