Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been lacking in the reading department in the past few days, but managed to get through a few chapters of The Picture of Dorian Gray which I'm about to pick up and continue again now, right after I've completed this post. I have 59% of the book left to read according to my Kindle, so I'm hoping to get more than half of the book read before I go to bed.

I'm just over half way through The Girl Who Played With Fire. I'm struggling a bit with it. I wasn't overly keen on the first book in the series, so I don't really know why I started this one. I think it's because it was cheap. :giggle:

bobblybear

I have read nothing today but my friend did get me a couple of Andre Camilleri books for Christmas which is great as I am hoping for an Inspector Montalbano season on the BBc as well.

I'm just over 100 pages into Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde, and am finding it quite odd and a little confusing to be honest. But seeing as he's one of my favourites I'll carry on. I also went out and bought 7 books that I clearly needed eventhough my TRB pile is over 200 books already!

Edited by page turner

I'm about 50 pages into The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I didn't mean to start reading it until after Watchmen and The Sea, The Sea, but became intrigued by seeing what others on here thought of it :)

Broke down and bought a hardback copy of The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley. I was going to wait till it comes out in paperback in a month or so, but finally I read the first several pages whilst in the book store. Fatal move. Had to buy. heh

Read a few pages in True Grit by Charles Portis. Good stuff, will continue.

Still reading Cleopatra's Daughter. Enjoyable.

AIE: Finished Cleopatra's Daughter, small review in my book list thread. 3/5

Edited by pontalba

I spent a glorious day in my favourite 3-level bookshop in Sydney. I don't think I've ever leisurely browsed the entire store in one go before. blush.gif I spent my Christmas voucher on:

Marcus Aurelius: Meditations

Tadeusz Borowski: This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen

Alberto Manguel: The Library at Night (a book about books: 'a meditation on the meaning and mysteries of libraries through history, beginning with Manguel's extraordinary library in the French countryside')

Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels: The Communist Manifesto

Julie Rugg: Buried in Books (another book about books. This one has over 350 bookish quotations from various authors and other sentences. I was sold on it when I saw a chapter called 'The good practice of buying a book a day'. giggle.gif)

Orson Welles: Mr Arkadin (I have the movie of this but never realised that Welles also wrote the book! A great find.)

Virginia Woolf: A Room of One's Own/Three Guineas, Mrs Dalloway, To the Lighthouse

ETA: I started reading Wings by Terry Pratchett when I was on the train. My complete Chronicles of Narnia was a little too big to take with me.

Edited by Kylie

I'm about 50 pages into The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. I didn't mean to start reading it until after Watchmen and The Sea, The Sea, but became intrigued by seeing what others on here thought of it :)

Oooh, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying The Thirteenth Tale, it's such a wonderful read :smile2:

I spent a glorious day in my favourite 3-level bookshop in Sydney. I don't think I've ever leisurely browsed the entire store in one go before. blush.gif

What a wonderful way to spend a day! :smile2: Excellent haul, as always!

I read a bit more of Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber last night in bed. I need to start reading it during the day too, it seems like I'm getting nowhere when I'm reading only a few pages every night.

Bought a couple of books in the 12 days for Kindle offer for £1 each - Fup by Jim Dodge and The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.

I also bought 3 books and downloaded to my PC, I haven't fully decided whether to buy the Kindle yet but it's looking very likely that I will and I got, The Lost Daughter - Diane Chamberlain, All The Pretty Girls - J T Ellison and Splinter - Sebastian fitzek all purchased for £1 each just incase! :blush:

I'm thoroughly enjoying The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry over half way through it and loving it. :readingtwo:

Edited by pipread

I didn't manage to make The Cry of the Owl stretch till New Years day I couldn't put it down last night till I'd found out what happened. This is my first book by Patricia Highsmith & I really liked the way she built up the characters & the story, I found it really gripping :)

I plan on reading The Forsythe Saga Volume One by John Galsworthy next but I'm going to wait till New Years Day before I start it so I've got a couple of book free days to get through till then :(

I also bought 3 books and downloaded to my PC, I haven't fully decided whether to buy the Kindle yet but it's looking very likely that I will and I got, The Lost Daughter - Diane Chamberlain, All The Pretty Girls - J T Ellison and Splinter - Sebastian fitzek all purchased for £1 each just incase! :blush:

I'm thoroughly enjoying The Fry Chronicles - Stephen Fry over half way through it and loving it. :readingtwo:

Good choices, pipread! I have to say, I was completely unconvinced that I would ever want an e-reader before I got my iPad, and I now have both that and a Kindle, and I'm not sure when I'll actually buy an actual book again, I'm a total convert to digital books :D

I have been into town this afternoon and my little bookshop was open :D but when I got their I realised I only had £4 on me :doh: so I only managed to buy three books! but I got . . .

Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult

The Devil wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger

Chocolat - Joanne Harris