City of Ashes (Mortal Instruments 2) by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass: Mortal Instruments 3) by Cassandra Clare

Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian

:)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Lord Sunday by Garth Nix last night, and I must say I did enjoy the way in which the series concluded. All seven books I have enjoyed over the past years, and with like most series' it is sad to reach the end. I was worried that the conclusion would be a let-down, but I loved the way it wrapped things up; on a whole The Keys to the Kingdom series is a great read.

I just finished 'The Scorch Trials' by James Dashner and about to start 'Unwind' by Neal Shusterman :)

Is The Scorch Trials as good as The Maze Runner? :) I'm waiting for TSC to be released in paperback so it matches TMR.. but I'm dying to read it!

Unwind is in my TBR.. I'm reading it as part of the Dystopia challenge for 2011 so I can't start it yet! :doh:

I started and finished a Trixie Belden book today, and also read 50 pages each of The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop and Winnie-the-Pooh.

ahhh ... silly old bear :D

I'm having a lovely book reading, lazy, stuffing chocolate time. I'm still reading 'The Book of Lost Thing's' by John Connolly which is amazing but also hubby and I are reading 'Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth' by Chris Priestley and 'The Small Hand' by Susan Hill to each other (a couple of chapters of each a night). We've read all of the tales of terror together, it's something we do a lot at Christmas especially (we read Beedle the Bard together a few years back.)

I don't mean we stand at the fireplace reciting loudly or anything, we get ourselves a glass of wine, some nibbles and curl up on the sofa. It stops me from being utterly terrified by the tales because, though Chris's especially are for children, I am a bit of a custard normally.

Is The Scorch Trials as good as The Maze Runner? :) I'm waiting for TSC to be released in paperback so it matches TMR.. but I'm dying to read it!

Unwind is in my TBR.. I'm reading it as part of the Dystopia challenge for 2011 so I can't start it yet! :doh:

Its really good Amber, its more exciting :)

Ooh, I love dystopians, Amber. How many books are involved in your challenge?

I don't mean we stand at the fireplace reciting loudly or anything, we get ourselves a glass of wine, some nibbles and curl up on the sofa. It stops me from being utterly terrified by the tales because, though Chris's especially are for children, I am a bit of a custard normally.

Aww, that's lovely. smile2.gif

I have almost finished The Passage - Justin Cronin...I love it but I know its going to be of a series which I hate

Why will you hate the series Pickle?

I finished The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee this morning. A lovely read. :)

Hi Kylie, I will hate the series because I will read one book and then have to wait for ages for another to come out and will be really frustrated :D half the time these days it seems an author writes a series rather than one novel. Its still a great book though so I am just moaning

Finished Cleopatra, A Life by Stacy Schiff 4/5 Recommended.

I can't make up my mind what to read next, I could continue with a Cleopatra theme with Cleopatra's Daughter, or visit the Old West by reading True Grit...or even a Le Carré, with Our Kind of Traitor. Decisions. Decisions.....yada, yada, yada..... :D

I started and finished Letters From Father Christmas - Tolkien such a lovely book, I could imagine the childrens excitement at receiving the letters from Father Christmas,how special christmas must have been for them. :)

I finished The Passage - Justin Cronin this morning and recommend it to everyone...great book

Great to hear you enjoy it pickle, I agree, it is a great book :)

I have decided to keep 'Unwind' by Neal Shusterman as my first book as 2011, I am very determined that 'Chocolat' by Joanne Harris will be my last book of this year, I have been meaning to read it for ages :)

I finished The Passage - Justin Cronin this morning and recommend it to everyone...great book

It is for sure! Can't wait till the sequel. :D

Finally decided to stay with Cleopatra, so started Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran. I'm about a third of the way through, and while I know it isn't "to the fact", parts certainly jive with history. An enjoyable read so far.

This Christmas is awful, bookwise! I haven't received any books and haven't been reading any. I tried to get into Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry but it seemed a tad boring :blush: My mojo's gone. I miss my bookshelves back home, I'm sure I would find something to suit my fancy.

Aw! .... sending you huge sympathetic cyber hugs! :friends0: I know the feeling. I've read half a book in the whole of December :( There's nothing wrong with the book at all, I quite like it, I just don't want to read which is really scary :huh:

Kylie, I did bring a couple of other books with me but they weren't quite the thing I wanted to read.... I did start Sybil in the end and so far I'm liking it, but just haven't had the time to really get into it.

I'm having a lovely book reading, lazy, stuffing chocolate time. I'm still reading 'The Book of Lost Thing's' by John Connolly which is amazing but also hubby and I are reading 'Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth' by Chris Priestley and 'The Small Hand' by Susan Hill to each other (a couple of chapters of each a night). We've read all of the tales of terror together, it's something we do a lot at Christmas especially (we read Beedle the Bard together a few years back.)

Oh rubbish, YOU GUYS are having the lovely book reading Christmas I was looking forward to!! :irked::lol: I've had The Book of Lost Things on my TBR for a while now, and I really want to read the other Chris Priestley novels, AND The Small Hand. Bloody hell!! I hope you enjoyed it! :)

I finished The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee this morning. A lovely read.

Did your wishlist get any longer? :giggle:

Aw! .... sending you huge sympathetic cyber hugs! I know the feeling. I've read half a book in the whole of December There's nothing wrong with the book at all, I quite like it, I just don't want to read which is really scary

Thanks Charm, the hug is definitely appreciated! And it sounds like you need one too :friends0::empathy: You don't want to read? Well maybe it's because it's Christmas and one's supposed to spend it with one's loved ones. ETC ETC. You'll get your mojo back I'm sure! I remember reading about you losing your mojo so many times this year, and still you managed to read quite a few novels this year, especially the ones that are part of a series. Let us make amends soon. :friends3:

Did your wishlist get any longer? :giggle:

No. I was very good and didn't take any notes as I was reading. ;)

I finished Winnie-the-Pooh yesterday and now I'm partway through The Last Battle by CS Lewis.