Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I found it on Abe Books...it's hopefully on it's way as I type. :smile2:

Yay :D

I decided to read Richard Laymon's Endless Night next. I got it after seeing it mentioned somewhere on these boards. Never really thought Laymon would be my cup of tea so we'll see how it goes.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got given John Crowley's Little, Big by a wonderful uni friend as a belated Christmas present today, really chuffed 'cos I can tell from the texture of the cover alone that I'll love it to bits.

I promised myself only two new books for every ten I read, but does it count when my sister sends me books in the mail without consulting me? :D

She sent me these today:

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson

A Thread of Grace and Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell

I am a little over half way through The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt and I am unexpectedly loving it!

Got given John Crowley's Little, Big by a wonderful uni friend as a belated Christmas present today, really chuffed 'cos I can tell from the texture of the cover alone that I'll love it to bits.

Oh, lovely, Bookjumper!

That is my all time favorite book. I hope you will love it as much as I have. :)

Not available at the Book Depository either. :( I guess I'll have to keep an eye out at secondhand shops and book fairs. :)

They have it on amazon but it's really expensive IMO and even the shipping would cost like $12 or so :irked: So I guess we have to resort to seconhand bookshops and such. You'll have better luck with that, with all the titles being in English. If you ever find two copies, could I have the other one, please? I would of course pay for the book and the shipping, and I would admire you even more than I already do :giggle2: The same goes for me, if I should ever be so lucky as to find two of the books, I'll get the other one for you.

I got 4 books today in the mail and I'm really, really excited about all of them. Here's the list:

Nuala Gardner: A Friend Like Henry

Linda Gillard: Emotional Geology

Matthew Quick: The Silver Linings Play Book

Daniel Tammet: Born on a Blue Day

I love this day :smile2:

Finished The Stand. The last time I read it was about 3 years ago, so it was good to pick it up again. Still one of my favourites.

Next on the list is The Hundred and Ninety Nine Steps by Michel Faber, which I got on Amazon for £1. :readingtwo:

They have it on amazon but it's really expensive IMO and even the shipping would cost like $12 or so :irked: So I guess we have to resort to seconhand bookshops and such. You'll have better luck with that, with all the titles being in English. If you ever find two copies, could I have the other one, please? I would of course pay for the book and the shipping, and I would admire you even more

Might it be cheaper from Amazon UK?

I'm just over halfway through The Siege

Might it be cheaper from Amazon UK?

Hehe, I've never actually realised that there are UK and US amazons, I always thought it's the same place. Yep the US amazon is still cheaper unfortunately :( And it takes longer to ship from there. Thanks anyway :)

Kylie: If you google the title, there are various rather 'interesting' places where you can read the text for free, apparently :) Nope, it doesn't beat reading it as a book, but it might be the last resort.There's even a few places where you can get it as a pdf document which makes it easier to read.

Edited by frankie

Finished Revelation by C.J. Sansom, have to give it 5 out of 5, and I think it is the best out of the series so far.

Thirteenth Night by Alan Gordon is next.

I got 4 books today in the mail and I'm really, really excited about all of them. Here's the list:

Nuala Gardner: A Friend Like Henry

Linda Gillard: Emotional Geology

Matthew Quick: The Silver Linings Play Book

Daniel Tammet: Born on a Blue Day

I love this day :smile2:

Excellent. I know you were looking forward to the Gillard book, and I'm not sure if you remember but I bought the Tammet book when you were here. :)

Kylie: If you google the title, there are various rather 'interesting' places where you can read the text for free, apparently :) Nope, it doesn't beat reading it as a book, but it might be the last resort.There's even a few places where you can get it as a pdf document which makes it easier to read.

Ooh, 'interesting', thanks! :wink:

In looking for a distraction last night, I picked up the nearest book and started reading it. I got quite engrossed and had to talk myself into putting it down because it was so late. The book is an old childhood favourite of mine that I haven't read in about 20 years: The Story of Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson.

Edited by Kylie

I promised myself only two new books for every ten I read, but does it count when my sister sends me books in the mail without consulting me?

Of course it doesn't count, special rules apply all the way ;) so, good haul (let me know what you think about What Dreams May Come, I adore the film but I've been told the book is very different so I don't know if I should read it - counting on a killer review now, you see! Really glad you're liking The Children's Book, it keeps calling out to me in shops so I might have to appropriate it soon.

& oooh, so Little, Big is your favourite book like ever? I'm even more excited now, will do my best to finish my current book (long story) a.sa.p. so I can start it...!

Of course it doesn't count, special rules apply all the way ;) so, good haul (let me know what you think about What Dreams May Come, I adore the film but I've been told the book is very different so I don't know if I should read it - counting on a killer review now, you see! Really glad you're liking The Children's Book, it keeps calling out to me in shops so I might have to appropriate it soon.

& oooh, so Little, Big is your favourite book like ever? I'm even more excited now, will do my best to finish my current book (long story) a.sa.p. so I can start it...!

Definitely pick up a copy of The Children's Book when you can. It was a bit confusing at first for me as there were so many characters to get straight in my wee brain, but now that I know who is who, I am fascinated by these people. Plus, there are enchanting fairy tales within that move the story along. :wink:

I am so looking forward to when you start reading Little, Big. It is my favorite. The book evoked such emotions in me it was almost a spiritual experience. Such is the power of language and prose and story when it is done well. :)

Oh, and I will definitely post my thoughts about What Dreams May Come when I get to it. (Not sure when that will be.) I also loved the film, so I hope the book won't disappoint me.

Edited by Pixie

That is my all time favorite book. I hope you will love it as much as I have. :)

Wow, that was such a big call that I had to race off and look it up. I've never heard of it before. :blush:

It sounds great and right up my alley - another one for the wishlist! Thanks Pixie (and Giulia, for originally bringing it up).

Excellent. I know you were looking forward to the Gillard book, and I'm not sure if you remember but I bought the Tammet book when you were here. :)

Yep I remember you buying the Tammet book, that's how I got to know about it in the first place. It went straight to my wishlist when you told me about it :giggle: Augusten Burroughs's brother and the kid from Parenthood have really made me curious about this Asperger's.

I continued reading The Woman in Black and I'm already half way through. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

Yep I remember you buying the Tammet book, that's how I got to know about it in the first place. It went straight to my wishlist when you told me about it :giggle: Augusten Burroughs's brother and the kid from Parenthood have really made me curious about this Asperger's.

I continued reading The Woman in Black and I'm already half way through. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

For a second there I thought 'wow, I didn't know Frankie was watching Parenthood!' and then I remembered that I introduced you to it when you were here. giggle.gif

I think The Woman in Black really takes a while to get going, in terms of the plot, but luckily I really love the way Susan Hill writes so it was a pleasure to read all the way through. I had to keep checking the year that it was written because it reads so much like an old classic. I love it!

I've read a bit more of all 3 books I have on the go. I'm going to try and be strict with myself this weekend and settle down to some serious reading. :)

Still no book in the mail. :( I may need to order some more to cheer myself up. wink.gif But seriously, I've gone 3 weeks without buying a book. I was even strong enough to resist 35% off at Borders with a $20 credit to boot. huh.gif

I started The Girl with Glass Feet - Ali Shaw this morning to make a change from all the crime and thriller novels I have been reading. Its a wierd modern take on fairytales not too far into it yet but its quite a nice read.

Undead and Unworthy by MaryJanice Davidson. :D

I must get some more of this series, they're a fun read ;)

I've finished I Can See You by Karen Rose and am now just over have way through Have You Seen Her? by the same author. These books are usually over 500 pages, but they are so engrossing! :D

I'm almost finished 'World War Z' by Max Brooks (and very worried about zombies) :blush:

Edited by Weave

Wow, that was such a big call that I had to race off and look it up. I've never heard of it before. :blush:

It sounds great and right up my alley - another one for the wishlist! Thanks Pixie (and Giulia, for originally bringing it up).

The more people that read Little, Big and love it, the happier I will be. :D

You're welcome, Kylie.

Definitely pick up a copy of The Children's Book when you can. It was a bit confusing at first for me as there were so many characters to get straight in my wee brain, but now that I know who is who, I am fascinated by these people. Plus, there are enchanting fairy tales within that move the story along. I am so looking forward to when you start reading Little, Big. It is my favorite. The book evoked such emotions in me it was almost a spiritual experience. Such is the power of language and prose and story when it is done well.

You're definitely making both sound extremely appealing, so yes m'am!

Now my uni deadlines have relaxed a wee bit I can actually pick Fforde's The Last Dragonslayer back up, hopefully I can finish that in a couple of sittings so I can start on Little, Big soon. And yes, The Last Dragonslayer is so awesome I could have actually read it all in a handful of sittings - me of all people! - 'tis just the homework which forced me to take a vacation from reading for pleasure :( evil homework.

And Kylie, you're most welcome :).

This week I haven't read much, so I'm still at page 95(ish) of The Sea, The Sea, and it doesn't seem like I'll ever finish it :D

It seemed a bit slow, and not very interesting in the begining, but I decided not to give up, and it turned out to be the right decision. It's very good, and intriguing even.

Edited by Brida