Your Weird Habits

MountainGirl

I just searched for weird habits and didn't find anything, but I needed a place to share mine! Who else has weird habits?

My dog always goes with me to the bathroom or to shower.. she just automatically comes in with me, I didn't realize it was kinda weird until I was at a friends house with her and went to go to the bathroom and my friend was like, um... she goes with you?? She's a little dog and will follow me around most places, and if she doesn't come with me I ask why she doesn't want to be my potty-buddy (lol embarrassing) and she stops being lazy and comes with me. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a very small bathroom and a big dog so that is certainly not a habit I have Erin! :D

Weird habit? The only one I can think of is that I always lay my car keys on the passenger seat, then pick them up again, start the car and go. I have absolutely no idea why. If someone is with me, I have to just throw them in my left hand and back again. ..............................:D

Edited by Chrissy
lost the ability to spell.

Well I used to work at a care home that had 2 pet cats who followed me around all day. If I went to the toilet I would let them in otherwise they would sit outside and everyone knew what I was doing!

You've got to have some time to yourself at work!

One of my oddities is that I always make sure the volume on the car radio, the television or anything else with a numerical volume control, has to be on an even number. I have no idea why, but if someone changes the volume and I notice it's not on an even number, I will pick up the remote control or turn the dial to put it right.

Awh thats actually sweet, I don't think its too weird. Does she actually shower with you tho? When I had a dog he used to sit by the bath when I was bathing and he was a pretty biggish dog, bearded collie crossed with a border collie.

Not sure what habits of mine would be classed as weird although i'm called weird alot...i'll have a think....

Awh thats actually sweet, I don't think its too weird. Does she actually shower with you tho? When I had a dog he used to sit by the bath when I was bathing and he was a pretty biggish dog, bearded collie crossed with a border collie.

Not sure what habits of mine would be classed as weird although i'm called weird alot...i'll have a think....

No she doesn't shower with me, she's not much for water. She just sleeps on my clothes on the floor. I tried to bring in a little bed for her to get cozy on, but she slept on my pj's instead.

I'll be looking forward to your weirdness lol

I'm obsessive compulsive so I'll check I've got everything I need before I leave the house, even if I know I've already checked 10 seconds before and everything was already in there. I could know with 100% certainty that everything was in there, then have somebody else verify this fact, and still feel anxious if I didn't check again myself. Usually I will check three times, but this increases significantly if I'm nervous, late, or afraid of forgetting a particular item. It's very time consuming and I've been known to miss buses/rides because of it.

I don't do this as much, but, if I become aware of it I will: If I'm walking along a pavement tiled with concrete slabs or with cracks, I have to decide whether I'm going to step on the cracks or avoid them, and I will get anxious if I don't do it right. Also, if I'm walking along a road, and have to cross at some point (and therefore can currently walk on either side) I have to choose which side before I head along it. Sometimes, if a gut decision doesn't kick in, I have to actually stop, and pretend I'm digging in my bag for something while I choose. Otherwise, again, anxiety kicks in.

I wash dishes before I eat. (This is probably also my OC nature.) If I cook, say, pasta, mince and sauce - I will have to wash the all the pans, plates, utensils etc. and wash out the sauce jar for recycling before I can sit down to eat the meal.

Cali: I also sleep at the foot of my bed sometimes, I find it comfortable too. :D

Gee, just one thing?

I'm just weird by my family and friends standards:lol: I'm a Black woman, southerner, who loves Enya, LOTR, HP and C.S. Lewis. I listen to celtic music, Native American music and I love to read about Scotland, Ireland and England.

Oh, and I eat my watermelon with a knife and fork. I cut it into little squares and using the fork and my teeth, I like to smash the melon against my tongue till all the juice is gone!

When I leave the house, after I lock the door I have to walk to the gate and back again to doublecheck it's locked. If I forget whether I checked or not, I walk back again no matter how far I've gotten. I've even paid taxi drivers to drive back and wait while I recheck. It's the same thing with the doors at work.

My dog also comes to the bathroom with me. He either sits on the bath mat, or licks the shower door. And I constantly have to say "No! No! No!" to avoid an Andrex moment.

I also get really upset over I-love-yous. I have to say it to mum and she has to say it back everytime I leave the room or hang up the phone.

The link on my necklace has to be at the back of my neck all the time.

And I'm not a vain person. Most of the time I don't bother with make-up, I rarely style my hair properly. But I can't bear a stray eyebrow hair. It must be plucked immediately upon discovery!

And I have three moles. One on the back of my left calf, one on the top of my left wrist, and one on the left side of my chin. This borders on extreme paranoia, and is possibly something to do with losing my grandad to skin cancer last year, but I check all three for changes at least twice a day.

When I go to bed I have to turn over three times before I can sleep. I start on my left, then turn to my right, back to the left, and finally onto the right again.

That's quite a lot...

My dog also comes to the bathroom with me. He either sits on the bath mat, or licks the shower door. And I constantly have to say "No! No! No!" to avoid an Andrex moment.

I also get really upset over I-love-yous. I have to say it to mum and she has to say it back everytime I leave the room or hang up the phone.

I would really expect my dog to get into the toilet paper, because she loves to rip apart paper be it tissues, paper towel whatever.. but she just sleeps.

The I love you's I can sort of relate to, because as a kid growing up my dad would always tuck me in, and we would say I love you until he got downstairs and shut the door to the upstairs.. we could have said it 10 times! I have no idea why... but its def. something I've just kept going because my boyfriend leaves for work pretty early in the morning, and we say I love you til he shuts the door... I'm not sure if he's ever noticed it but I try to stop my self from doing it, and he will actually keep it going!

it usually goes something like " I love you - I love you too. -Ok Bye! -Ok Love you! drive safe! - I will I love you! - I love you too! - Goodbye - Goodbye I love you - I love you too! - Door shut" maybe its about who says I love you last I'm not sure!

- If I bash my elbow (or some other extremity), I have to then immediately knock the opposite one againsdt the same object to "even things up". I feel increasingly "wrong" inside until I do this.

- When going up stairs, I always step up with my right foot first and I always count the steps going up and on the way back down. If, by some bizarre quirk of miscounting, I get a different number coming the opposite direction, I have to go back up and down, counting both directions again till I get the same amount.

- When I'm stressed, I count things obsessively. If I'm in a car, it'll be the number of streetlights I pass on my side of the car. If I'm walking, it's the number of steps I take between two different points, and then between that second point and another point, etc.

- When anyone sneezes (including myself), I never say "bless you". Instead, I automatically say "gezunteit", which used to really confuse a German colleague of mine whenever she heard it. She said it always made her feel slightly lost as she'd think she was back home for a split second and wonder why she was in an office in Scotland when she was obviously in Germany.

- I obsessively brush my teeth for exactly 2 minutes (yes, I time it!) after every meal I have at home. In the morning, I have to brush my teeth as soon as I get up AND after breakfast. If I eat lunch at home, then I have to brush after that too. I then brush after dinner and supper-time snack, as well as immediately before going to bed at night. I'm aware that this can mean I'm brushing my teeth up to 6 times a day, but I can't help it. Clean, healthy teeth are, and always have been, incredibly important to me. I'm quite possibly over-brushing, but I rarely have any dental problems and my dentist knows people with more tarter on their teeth after 6 months than I have on mine after 2 years between visits. I've only ever had one very small (white!) filling (which I had done when I was 21) and I've never had any teeth removed due to decay, so it's worked for me so far! I used to take my toothbrush to work with me to brush after lunch. I'd sneak into the First Aid room so nobody would bee me brushing - LOL!

- Like Noll, I get anxious about whether or not to step on the cracks, but usually only when I'm already stressed. Sometimes it plays havoc with my counting and then I feel even worse.

Edited by Kell

I just learned how to multi quote! So cool!

Gee, just one thing?

Oh, and I eat my watermelon with a knife and fork. I cut it into little squares and using the fork and my teeth, I like to smash the melon against my tongue till all the juice is gone!

I love watermelon! One day it was all I ate and i just cut the top of it off and spooned it out like ice cream! - this is not a habit I must say though, only a one time deal though I'd do it again if the opportunity presented itself!

I wash dishes before I eat. (This is probably also my OC nature.) If I cook, say, pasta, mince and sauce - I will have to wash the all the pans, plates, utensils etc. and wash out the sauce jar for recycling before I can sit down to eat the meal.

wow, that must be so exhausting! do you do it even if you are starving? do you do it every time?

I don't have any weird habits. But will develop some just so I can contribute.:D

sure sure :D

Edited by MountainGirl

One of my oddities is that I always make sure the volume on the car radio, the television or anything else with a numerical volume control, has to be on an even number. I have no idea why, but if someone changes the volume and I notice it's not on an even number, I will pick up the remote control or turn the dial to put it right.
I do a similar thing, I always have to have the car CD player at 20 or 30. not 21, not 28 only 30 or 20.

I also have a habit of drumming my hands/fingers on things when music is on or if there is a song in my head. I also twirl things between my fingers a lot absent mindedly.

My goodness there are a lot of OCDers on his forum :D actually it's probably not a laughing matter, I imagine that must be pretty annoying for the people affected.

I don't really have any OCD things like that, but I do have this odd thing where I find myself counting things or tracing geometric shapes in my mind. If I am anywhere where there's a geometric pattern, like a tiled floor, for example, I find my eyes are drawn around the edges, tracing all the routes around and between the shapes, back and fort, trying to get all possible routes. Sometimes I find myself doing it in my head when there are NO patterns around me and it becomes almost unbearable and I really have to concentrate to keep myself from doing it. It's like my brain gets stuck in a loop and really is horrible.

In my old house I used to have my cds all stacked up along a shelf like books and i could see them out of the corner of my eye when I was watching TV. Sometimes I'd find myself counting the top corner of each one, from right to left, then back again from left to right, and then I'd have to repeat that along all the bottom corners. I'd really have to be firm with myself to stop myself doing it, else i'd be there doing it all night. Ugh.

I don't know how weird it is, but I love sleeping with my head at the foot of the bed and my feet to the wall. Its just more comfortable for some reason. :D

I do that sometimes if I can't sleep and it seems to help.

My dog always goes with me to the bathroom or to shower.. she just automatically comes in with me,

Every morning when I get up and go to the loo, my cat follows me and sits in her cat litter tray (which is beside the toilet) and goes for a wee as well. :D

I'm obsessive compulsive so I'll check I've got everything I need before I leave the house,

Yep me too, and before I go to bed at night. I check the doors and windows far too many times and have even got up from my bed to check again. :D

I rather like having volumes to be set at 13 whenever possible. :D

I don't really have any OCD things like that, but I do have this odd thing where I find myself counting things or tracing geometric shapes in my mind. If I am anywhere where there's a geometric pattern, like a tiled floor, for example, I find my eyes are drawn around the edges, tracing all the routes around and between the shapes, back and fort, trying to get all possible routes. Sometimes I find myself doing it in my head when there are NO patterns around me and it becomes almost unbearable and I really have to concentrate to keep myself from doing it. It's like my brain gets stuck in a loop and really is horrible.

OMGs! I do that too! Sometimes I can't get to sleep for the shapes flying about in my head and it physically feels almost sickening while I try to stop myself doing it!

.......I find myself counting things or tracing geometric shapes in my mind. If I am anywhere where there's a geometric pattern, like a tiled floor, for example, I find my eyes are drawn around the edges, tracing all the routes around and between the shapes, back and fort, trying to get all possible routes.

I find myself doing something like that too, but mostly with tiled floors sort of counting from one edge to the opposite edge and then from side to side.

I used to be really compulsive [or is it obsessive] about going back and checking that the doors were locked, but have found if I stand at the back door and really think about what I am doing, IOW, not just doing it automatically without thinking, I can lock the door, test it and take note of the position and walk away. Nine times out of ten that works for me.

- When anyone sneezes (including myself), I never say "bless you". Instead, I automatically say "gezunteit",

Me too, no idea why.

My goodness there are a lot of OCDers on his forum :D actually it's probably not a laughing matter, I imagine that must be pretty annoying for the people affected.

In my old house I used to have my cds all stacked up along a shelf like books and i could see them out of the corner of my eye when I was watching TV. Sometimes I'd find myself counting the top corner of each one, from right to left, then back again from left to right, and then I'd have to repeat that along all the bottom corners. I'd really have to be firm with myself to stop myself doing it, else i'd be there doing it all night. Ugh.

I do that sometimes if I can't sleep and it seems to help.

That does seem a bit OCD, my OH and youngest Daughter have to count things, if we were in a tiled room they'd be counting the tiles, I'd maybe think about the colour/style or just let my mind wander.........

Gee, just one thing?

I'm just weird by my family and friends standards:lol: I'm a Black woman, southerner, who loves Enya, LOTR, HP and C.S. Lewis. I listen to celtic music, Native American music and I love to read about Scotland, Ireland and England.

And I'm a Celt who loves all of the above plus cajun music, flamenco,alegrias, bollywood, heavy metal particularly symphonic and hispanic. You're eclectic and open to new things, but my OH would think you're as weird as me:mrgreen:

- If I bash my elbow (or some other extremity), I have to then immediately knock the opposite one againsdt the same object to "even things up". I feel increasingly "wrong" inside until I do this.

I do that!

- When going up stairs, I always step up with my right foot first...

And that (and I count, but I don't correct myself if I go wrong) - although I set off (both up and down) with my left foot!

- When I'm stressed, I count things obsessively.

And I do that!

- When anyone sneezes (including myself), I never say "bless you". Instead, I automatically say "gezunteit"...

And that.

:D

When I set my alarm, I switch it on, then off, then on again. If I do this and then read for a while, I have to go through the same process before I switch the lamp off. If I don't, I can't sleep until I do!

On the rare occasions I go to church, I have this... I suppose it's a phobia, a worry?... that I'm the only one standing up (for example when singing) and that everyone is really sitting down and staring at me, wondering why I'm standing. :D

I have to have the teaspoons in the kitchen draw all facing the same way with their bowls to the left, and handles to the right. Sometimes my hubby will switch them round the wrong way on purpose. Anyone remember Richard Briers' character in Ever Decreasing Circles - and his telephone obsession!

A final one I can think of is that if I'm driving and it's beginning to get dark, I try to wait until there are no cars behind me and none coming towards me before switching my lights on - but I stress that I'd never wait long enough to endanger myself or anyone else.

:D I think I'm a bit of a freak, now I think about it!

I do this too. It's all about symmetry for me.

A final one I can think of is that if I'm driving and it's beginning to get dark, I try to wait until there are no cars behind me and none coming towards me before switching my lights on

I do this too. I worry that if I turn my lights on when there's a car in front of me they might think I'm flashing them for some reason. I don't want to worry or upset anyone unnecessarily. :D

My big OC thing is to count pairs of letters. I do this with absolutely every piece of text I see. And I don't just do it once. It started when I was in a stressful relationship and eased up a little recently but now it's back with a vengeance. It gets worse the more stressed I get, until I end up counting pairs of letters for words I hear, not just see. Obviously, as a big reader, this is a big problem and it drives me nuts. I have to go to a presentation at work today and I just know that I will endlessly count all the letters on each slide. It makes me mildly happy if I get to, say, exactly 10 pairs of letters (multiples of 5 or 10 are 'good', uneven pairs are 'bad').