Your Weird Habits

MountainGirl

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have any OCD things like that, but I do have this odd thing where I find myself counting things or tracing geometric shapes in my mind. If I am anywhere where there's a geometric pattern, like a tiled floor, for example, I find my eyes are drawn around the edges, tracing all the routes around and between the shapes, back and fort, trying to get all possible routes.

I do this, too, especially with tiled floors in public bathrooms. What I like to do is join up the individual squares into larger squares (like in groups of 4 or 9).

i have to eat my breakfast with a tea spoon

I'm the same way. I can only use my large spoons for eating ice cream or stirring something. My boyfriend uses the big spoons for his cereal and it drives me crazy. I also hate that he drinks juice out of mugs instead of glasses. I can only use mugs for hot drinks.

I don't think I do anything particularly odd but I'm sure people would disagree with me!

- If I bump my elbow or stub my toe I will hit whatever caused it (unless it's a person) this comes from my mom doing it when I was little. Say I bumped my head on a table she would give it a smack and tell it off.

- If someone sneezes I have to say bless you every time. So if someone sneezes 20 times I will say bless you 20 times.

- If I spill salt I will take a pinch and throw it over my left shoulder.

- If I see a lone Magpie I have to greet it. When I was younger and I saluted them I would try to style it out afterward be scratching my head.

- If I'm talking about someone and I don't want them to show up I will pretend to spit over my left shoulder.

- I never stir with a knife.

I'm sure I have more, I will have to have a think about it.

Well I have some of the OCD things, as in checking several times (when I am stressed like 10 times sometimes) if I have everything with me when I leave the house or some other place.. I check phone, wallet, keys, and even though I have just close the bag, and nothing's on the floor, I have to open it again to see if I do have everything. So annoying, and can get me angry with myself but sometimes I don't feel good when I don't do it. Have been trying to push myself to just NOT do it though.

And something else, don't do it a lot anymore these days, sometimes in very stressy times, and it came back a little when dad was ill, but has gone now mostly again.. to write out with my fingers, or in thought, every word I think. When I was younger I used to do this all the time, when I lay in bed mostly, could barely go to sleep.

What else? Is twirling your hair odd? I just noticed myself doing it again, I do it all the time, just take a strand of my hair (I have really long hair, halfway down my back) and twirl it around my fingers, feels nice, is such a habit.

I'm weird, so I probably have other weird habits. :blush:

I do this, too, especially with tiled floors in public bathrooms. What I like to do is join up the individual squares into larger squares (like in groups of 4 or 9).

Yup - me too! You know I'm quite relieved to know there are quite a few others with this problem.

Do you think there's any correlation between all this OCD stuff and being avid readers?

I have a twitch. It's not something I'm conscious I'm doing sometimes and can be watching TV or sitting on the train and suddenly become aware that I'm doing it. I twitch my nose, I guess just like the woman in Bewitched, and then I'll blink a few times. Sometimes the need to do it is so great I can't ignore it.

My friend has picked up on this so whenever he wants to annoy me he'll rub his nose. It always sets me off.

I do this too. I usually work my way up to 16. And when I look at bricks I always pick out the pattern of a man (one brick for head, two bricks for arms, and two bricks for legs).

Do you think there's any correlation between all this OCD stuff and being avid readers?

I've been wondering this too.

I sometimes go through phases where I squish my toes up tight. I sit like that all the time and it feels weird when I straighten them out.

I also often find myself kind of squinting at the television (it probably looks to others that I'm glaring at it). I don't know why I do it; I just feel the need to do it every now and then.

And when I look at bricks I always pick out the pattern of a man (one brick for head, two bricks for arms, and two bricks for legs).

I do that too!

I also can't sit still to save my life. I'm always drumming my fingers or tapping my feet or wiggling my bum even if there is no music or any noise. If there is music I always tap both feet like I'm playing drums with them or something :blush:

Oh, and I wash my hands obsessively, espeically if I touch someone.

My boyfriend has a lot of the OCD-type habits.

-He washes his hands multiple times per day (maybe like 10 or 15)

-He brushes his teeth at least three times a day, maybe more.

-He usually takes more than one shower per day.

-When he gets up in the morning, he spits constantly into the sink, as he can't stand to swallow his own saliva after sleeping all night. He also spits intermittently throughout the day. If he needs to spit and we're in the car, he'll actually pull over, or spit into the garbage bag. He's always spitting! :blush:

-He's obsessive when it comes to anything to do with school. He'll check over his assignments many, many times, usually asking me to read through it, too, which gets very annoying. He also checks over emails he writes to professors or school officials, thinking that if he spells a word wrong or capitalizes the wrong word, his professor won't give him the extension he's asking for. All of this means that he takes forever to do his homework and spends a lot of 12 hour days or more on assignments. He just worries so much! :)

-After finishing a phone call and begins to talk to me about it, he'll check to make sure he actually hung up. He's afraid that the other person will hear him talking about them.

He has a lot more, all to do with different anxieties. Living with him can sometimes be a trial, but I still love him. :)

-After finishing a phone call and begins to talk to me about it, he'll check to make sure he actually hung up. He's afraid that the other person will hear him talking about them.

I do that too, even if I haven't talked to them on the phone OR even have their phone number!! I'll do it like 8 times during a conversation about a person when I talk to my boyfriend, I think oh g, I may have just dialed while looking I better look again!

well apart from the counting steps as I walk I also have a habit of staring into space, my sister hated it when she talked to me, I would have a glazed look on my face and would only register her question about 5 minutes after she asked it. I am not looking at anything or thinking anything in particular. I have noticed my niece does it as well :blush:

Reading through all these has made me think of some things I do which could be regarded as weird -

I rarely if ever answer the home telephone.

I used to have a phobia of jewellery, I could not stand being close to someone with noticable amounts. My family laugh about it saying in a past life I must have been someone rich with excessive amounts and I'm just sick of it now.....It's not as bad as it used to be but its still there slightly.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Everytime my mother in law cut her hair she would save a piece, wrap it in plastic and write the date on it. Once I found a lock of my son's hair that she'd chopped off when He was 14 (against his wishes, she just snuck up on him) it was wrapped & dated too. It really freaked the poor lad out, he had to get rid of it.:blush:

I pick spots and blackheads. My own, but... also other people's. :D It's gross I know but I can't help it! I feel that little bump and won't rest til I get rid of it! :D

:D *runs away from evil odd numbered volume*

FOr me, 13 has never been an unlucky number. In fact, I think I purposely made it my "lucky number" as a kid simply because everyone else I knew thought it was unlucky. I was trying to undo the superstition and instead gave myself a new one - LOL!

- If I see a lone Magpie I have to greet it. When I was younger and I saluted them I would try to style it out afterward be scratching my head.

I always salute magpies and say, "Good morning/afternoon/evening, Mister Magpie. How's Mrs Magpie and all the little Magpies?".

Another couple for me:

- When I'm stirring something (coffee, tea, cake mixture, whatever), I always stir clockwise, but then I have to stir anticlockwise the same amount of times.

- When I'm doing my cross stitch, if a design is asymetrical, I have to adjust it to make the two halves match (this is if it's a pattern rather than a picture, of course!).

I used to have extreme agoraphobia and I still cling to walls, not literally, but I'll walk as close to a wall or building as I can, I don't mind being in an open space if it's a field or meadow or anything like that but I hate spaces in built up areas or rooms ... high ceilinged places especially. Museums are a trial, I went to the Ashmolean recently and was rigid and sweaty palmed all the way around. I went to the cafe so that Algie (hubby) could have a good look around.

I bite or tear the skin around my fingernails, to the point where they bleed. In times of high anxiety my hands will look like raw lumps of meat.

I can't skip words in a book, even if I'm bored with it etc. if I do skip words it preys on my mind until I go back and read it.

Since reading Gold by Dan Rhodes, I have to be blessed when I sneeze or bless someone else if they sneeze. Husband also read it and he is the same now. We are obsessional sneeze blessers.

The most bizarre is probably that I go through spells where I think my nearest and dearest are trying to poison me. Mum says I've thought it ever since I was little, especially when ill, upset or anxious. I'm still like it now and Algie sometimes despairs of me, there have been times when I've got him to taste the food or drink he has made me before I will touch it .. like I'm Henry VIII or something. I have no idea why I think they would want to poison me. Then I get to thinking that I will drive them up the wall so much with it that they will poison me and my whole life will just end in irony.

I make strange sound effects when I talk to my kids (they do it back too). I think we are somehow related to Gerald McBoing Boing, the Dr Seuss character. :D

Me, my brother and mum speak to eachother in various accents and my brother and me have occasions when we can't sit without making strange noises, it's odd because in public we are both quiet people but in our own home we rarely shut up.

I also get strong hiccups, I can't keep them in and if I try they come out sounding even worse with the pressure built up. I often sound like a bird of prey, pheasant, chicken, mainly some kind of bird or constipated sheep apparently. I've had hiccups on the Yorkshire Moors before and my family throught it was some bird of prey overhead :D

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I pick spots and blackheads. My own, but... also other people's. :D It's gross I know but I can't help it! I feel that little bump and won't rest til I get rid of it! :D

O my gosh, I don't do this but my boyfriend does. He will ATTACK me if i have a blackhead or something. He seriously goes NUTS. I'm like leave my skin alone! he will try to rationalize with me, and say if you just let me get it, I'll give you something... I think its so bizarre.. its like he is out of control or possessed or something! I didn't think there was anyone else like him, I'll let him know he is not alone!! :lol:

Guest mcflash271

My weird habits are that when i'm reading, I have to have absolute solitude. No TV, music, people, nothing. It even distracts me when birds are chirping, somtimes!. It has to be just me and the book.